Ladies and Men Opinions on Makeup

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• dontdreamit
    dontdreamit Posts: 223
    Options
    I hate makeup, foundation makes my skin feel clogged and gross and eye makeup irritates me. That being said, I still wear at least some most days. The curse of genetic bad skin (whoever made me believe I would grow out of pimples is a horrible liar) and permanent dark eye circles, means if I want to look presentable I need a least a bit of concealer. If want I go all out I might wear some mascara and eye liner and if I'm feeling super crazy, add in a touch of blush but the last time I wore a full face was my high school formal.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I rarely wear makeup. I don't mind putting it on but I tend to rub my eyes and look like a raccoon and I also hate having to wash it off before bed. I met my husband without any make up on which was awesome, set the bar low from the get go.
  • MagdalenDreams
    Options
    Men don't understand what I look like with no makeup; therefore, their opinion is invalid. I always have at least concealer on.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I rarely found women that wear a lot of makeup attractive.
    Generally I find them more attractive with less or none.
    However, this isn't to say that all women I would consider to be more attractive with no makeup.
  • Shahelene
    Shahelene Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think makeup can be fun and sometimes and can hide a rough sleepless night.. But I don't think you should be a slave to it. I hate the overly done makeup trend that's out there though. There once upon a time used to be a day time look and a night time look now anything goes.. Heavy makeup at lunch is just too scary
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I haven't worn make up in... 17 years or something. I had a huge allergic reaction to it when I was 15 or something (I only used powder on my eyelids then), and I wouldn't even know what brand to buy now anyway... or how to apply it, lol. I've never used mascara in my life.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband HATES when I choose to wear make up...which is already a rare thing. Too much time, too 'heavy.' Not worth it unless it's a special occasion.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think I have learned to go without it most of the time, just cos I have this paranoid, slightly ocd fear that it will be detrimental and age my skin and I need to let my skin breathe as often as I can. I dunno...I read things.

I wear a fairly considerable amount two times a week now-the times I see my boyfriend, and always have clean, perfectly straightened hair freshly painted nails, moisturised legs etc on those days. But I'm always making sure any makeup is washed off really thoroughly when I get home.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I usually wear none, and when I do use it I go light/simple. Life is too short to spend 30-60 minutes a day on this.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't wear it. If I have a special event where I am dressed-up, then I will wear eye shadow, lip gloss and mascara. Never foundation or concealer or blush.

I used to wear lipstick instead of gloss, but I would break out from it.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Brushing my teeth and hair, putting on make up, getting dressed is all part of getting ready for my day. Just like exercising and logging my food it's a way of life. Oh and shaving everything every time my *kitten* hits the water.
  • massoia
    massoia Posts: 19
    Options
    I think to some people, makeup automatically includes foundation. The only time I wore foundation I was 9, I was at my friend's house after school and she wanted to play dress-up with her mum's makeup. It was so gross! I felt like my skin couldn't breathe. It put me off foundation for life and I have never worn it since. If I wear makeup, I only wear mascara and a very small amount of shadow eyeliner. Because that's all I wear, it takes less than 5 minutes to do the lot, so I do tend to wear it every time I go out. If I'm just at home I usually won't bother. I'd hate to look at myself in the mirror after removing all my makeup and barely recognising the face that emerges from beneath the cosmetics. At the end of the day, someone somewhere is going to see you without your makeup, so isn't it better not to try to hide too much? I'd rather relax, knowing that there's little difference between my face with makeup and withouth.

I think that very heavy makeup can sometimes end up being quite aging for some ladies, especially if the foundation and eye makeup is really thick. Having said that, I make no judgement of people based on how much makeup they wear, it is entirely their own business and if it makes them feel good that's great!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've worn make up since I was 13. Don't go out of the house without it. Feels like armor to me.

Same with hair. It needs to look decent and be clean before leaving the house, even if it's just to the local store. It's more about respect for myself and my appearance than trying to impress anyone.

I have never once asked my husband what he thinks about me wearing makeup, frankly because it's none of his business. I don't question his choice of facial hair (or lack thereof when he shaves), or how he wants to wear his hair. I give my opinion when he asks, but not before that.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I almost never wear it. I don't know why. I guess it just doesn't suit me. When I wear makeup, I do feel prettier, but I also feel like I am trying to be something I'm not. I don't have anything against it. It's just me.

Exactly my thought. It's been a rare occasion that I have worn it and when I did, it was nothing more than a bit of powder and a little mascara. At my age now, 56, I think it's a little late for me to start. I really have no clue how to apply it correctly anyway. haha I admit though, I do sometimes wonder if I would like the looks of a made up me and think about trying it.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid to go without makeup, and don't think it's a necessity for leaving the house. I choose to wear it because I enjoy doing it. I love deciding what eye look I want to create today & seeing it come together. That said, I've never been a face makeup [concealer, foundation, etc] wearer - I just can't do it. Maybe it's because I sweat too much, idk, but face makeup drives me completely crazy. Sometimes I'll wear a primer & BB cream for a special event, but more often I'll do just a dusting of powder foundation to get rid of shine. I love blush but rarely wear it because I'm naturally pretty rosy-cheeked. So I normally just do my eyes up & maybe something on my lips, but lip products are another thing that normally drive me crazy because they're so high maintenance & I have to check them in the mirror every hour. Ugh!
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MAKEUP. Anyways, i studied to be a makeup artist and i love it. I can express myself and my creative thinking with it.
    But during the week i just have a normal cleaning job so i walk around bare faced all week. I also don't like makeup when i workout and stuff. But during the weekend i like to dress nicely, and sometimes me and my boyf go to the cinema or out for dinner, so for those occasions i love to put makeup on and try new products and stuff.
    But some people wear makeup because they really dislike how their face looks.Then it's not a good thing i guess.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have makeup somewhere, and I think it's been about a year since I last used it. I probably should toss it if I find it again.