Is it okay to "flaunt"?

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I will honestly say what I think of some women I know who dress like this in inappropriate circumstances, and some even older than you, in their 50s and 60s, I think they are usually narcissists, almost always attention *kitten*, and it is just kind of pathetic...like they are like some fading actress or model who can't deal with aging, like they are really insecure and they are putting too much of their identity in their body image. Many of these women also use botox (which I have always thought is kind of stupid...if I am having a conversation with you and you have no expression lines, I think...oh, he/she is using botox, even young people have expression lines). I mean really, do they think we are all idiots not to realize that?

I understand being proud of being even lighter than your high school weight, wanting to show you can still wear those clothes and look good in them, etc., but if you don't do it in the appropriate circumstances I think many people will have the same reaction as me, wow, that is pretty ridiculous! I certainly would not be impressed, sorry. Now, if you wore something hot and appropriate? Then I would think, man, it would be great to look like that.

Christie Brinkley posed on a magazine cover in a bikini in her 60's and looked great, and that is great, my goal is high school weight and looking great in a bikini too, but I don't see her walking around dressed like Daisy Duke. There are right times and places for everything.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this hasn't been posted.

joe-shorts-o.gif

And now out, because a subject that leads to women calling other women pathetic is just never my idea of a fun time.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    "flaunt" your figure without showing any skin: that's what body-hugging fabrics and tailored cuts are for. it is possible to be supersexy and superclassy at the same time, while displaying your figure--no excess skin-baring involved. #booblesswisdom
    Exactly, that is what I intend to do when I get to goal.
  • perseverance14
    Options

joe-shorts-o.gif

And now out, because a subject that leads to women calling other women pathetic is just never my idea of a fun time.
    I am just being honest.

If you don't like pathetic, pick another word...how about sad...but I was just being honest about what I think of women I know who are like this, not the op, I said it was what I think of women I know like this...and it is not just me.

About the OP, If I was at a party somewhere and I saw a 30-something woman dressed like Daisy Duke I can tell you exactly what I would do, I would laugh, I would have to turn the other way because I would be laughing too hard to look at her.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    In general, I think people should be able to dress how they feel most comfortable. If you look great in an outfit, flaunt it! Absolutely do not worry about making others feel bad. Those are their issues, not yours. However, I do think it's wise to consider age and appropriateness for the venue. I would look to other people your age whose fashion sense you admire. Take a cue from them on what styles are age appropriate and flattering.

This. When I am at or even near goal, you can bet I intend to flaunt as much as I damn well please, since I have never been able to my entire high school and adult life. I will still consider age-appropriateness and the particular circumstances; however I also will not be above rocking something a little younger/riskier if it's an appropriate environment, and where I am among friends with whom I feel safe and I know I won't be judged.
    I agree with you both, but the appropriate part is important. You can dress appropriately AND flaunt, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

joe-shorts-o.gif

I am just being honest.

If you don't like pathetic, pick another word...how about sad...but I was just being honest about what I think of women I know who are like this, not the op, I said it was what I think of women I know like this...and it is not just me.

About the OP, If I was at a party somewhere and I saw a 30-something woman dressed like Daisy Duke I can tell you exactly what I would do, I would laugh, I would have to turn the other way because I would be laughing too hard to look at her.

That speaks volumes about your personality. Don't get upset though, that's me "just being honest".
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

joe-shorts-o.gif

I am just being honest.

Yeah ok. :yawn:
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I will honestly say what I think of some women I know who dress like this in inappropriate circumstances, and some even older than you, in their 50s and 60s, I think they are usually narcissists, almost always attention *kitten*, and it is just kind of pathetic...like they are like some fading actress or model who can't deal with aging, like they are really insecure and they are putting too much of their identity in their body image. Many of these women also use botox (which I have always thought is kind of stupid...if I am having a conversation with you and you have no expression lines, I think...oh, he/she is using botox, even young people have expression lines). I mean really, do they think we are all idiots not to realize that?

I understand being proud of being even lighter than your high school weight, wanting to show you can still wear those clothes and look good in them, etc., but if you don't do it in the appropriate circumstances I think many people will have the same reaction as me, wow, that is pretty ridiculous! I certainly would not be impressed, sorry. Now, if you wore something hot and appropriate? Then I would think, man, it would be great to look like that.

Christie Brinkley posed on a magazine cover in a bikini in her 60's and looked great, and that is great, my goal is high school weight and looking great in a bikini too, but I don't see her walking around dressed like Daisy Duke. There are right times and places for everything.
    Wow, you sure are bitter.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In general, I think people should be able to dress how they feel most comfortable. If you look great in an outfit, flaunt it! Absolutely do not worry about making others feel bad. Those are their issues, not yours. However, I do think it's wise to consider age and appropriateness for the venue. I would look to other people your age whose fashion sense you admire. Take a cue from them on what styles are age appropriate and flattering.

This. When I am at or even near goal, you can bet I intend to flaunt as much as I damn well please, since I have never been able to my entire high school and adult life. I will still consider age-appropriateness and the particular circumstances; however I also will not be above rocking something a little younger/riskier if it's an appropriate environment, and where I am among friends with whom I feel safe and I know I won't be judged.
    I agree with you both, but the appropriate part is important. You can dress appropriately AND flaunt, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I appreciate this candid look into who you are, as a person. You don't often get such honesty from people.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

joe-shorts-o.gif

I am just being honest.

Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not wearing shorts to prevent others from feeling bad about themselves is like cutting your long hair off in case someone with short hair gets offended. Do what you want and don't worry about how others feel about the way you look. It's your body, don't cover yourself up. If other people are really that easily offended by your body, they can go blog about it. Not your problem.
    Exactly. Wear what you feel good in, there's nothing wrong with being confident in your own body and flaunting it.

^^^^^agree
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Seems like this might fit comfortably here...
    high-horse_o_298189.webp
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to dress like a high-schooler when you are clearly not... I guess that's your perogative.

I certainly wouldn't want to be mistaken for a teenager.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I still think I am right.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with what anyone else wants to wear. However I guess I could see it would depend on what the event/occasion is that someone's attending as to what's suitable.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Dear God not bare bellies!!!!! What next, bare ankles? The indecency of it all.

heading to your friend's house damn near 30 wearing a crop top and booty shorts, yes, it's tacky. nothing against bare bellies at appropriate places ie beach, pool parties, etc. You missed the point of my post. It's easy to flaunt and be classy about it. You don't go to a dinner party at your husband's friend's house dressed like you're 17.

I guess this means we can't be friends, because if you come over my place to eat it's a sea of short shorts and cropped tops.

I'll make a note to weep over my tackiness later.

If you and yours are comfortable dressing inappropriately more power to you. She asked for an opinion, I gave it. If you do not agree with my opinion, that's fine. No skin off my back. clearly I struck a nerve. :laugh:

Dressing inappropriately as determined by you, right? Its not an issue of your opinion, its an issue of stating your opinion as if it's a blanket statement that applies to all women, in all places, and show be followed because you said so. Should we all start sending you pictures of our intended outfits to make sure it doesn't meet your standard of tackiness?

:laugh: : Child, please. An opinion is a judgment or belief drawn and formed from ones own personal views and experiences. I didn't say that my opinion was fact, it is simply my opinion, a belief, and or judgement. If I think someone looks like tacky and classless, due to their choice of outfit in a particular sitting, that's my belief. You can not negate what I believe because it does fit your opinion. :laugh: Let your tacky flag fly in booty shorts and crop tops at your functions, if that is the situational norm. No skin off my nose. Where I come from that is not the situational norm, therefore I view it as tacky. :laugh:

When I am stating something as my opinion, I usually say 'In My Opinion' or IMO for short. Not state it as a fact (which is what you did).
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I assure you that Christie Brinkley uses lots of Botox. But as for the part of your post in bold... :huh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with being an attention *kitten* and what makes it pathetic?
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    What is wrong with being an attention *kitten* and what makes it pathetic?

Oh you. ;)