Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does my morning coffee count

Replies

• 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    I wish MFP would remove that little feature so people would stop asking this question.

I need more coffee.

*slow hand clap*
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    i count water in my bottle and water from my kettle... i also log my cals for milk i have in my tea.....
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    I only count straight water as water. I don't personally count any other fluids into that equation.
    Will I get a trophy if I switch to that method?
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    I only count water for water, I do count my coffee for calories.
  • 120by30
    I don't keep up with my water intake anyway. I guess I just wanted to give my opinion. ????
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I don't track water. (that being said, it may be appropriate for some people who struggle with hydration without something to click)

If your urine is odorless and light yellow or colorless, you're hydrated enough. If it's strong or bright yellow, drink more. If it burns, see a doctor. If it's blue, stop eating smurfs.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

Agreed.

But in the end it's not a big deal whether you count it as water or not, you'll still lose weight, just worry about logging your calories and make effort to stay hydrated throughout the day.

:)
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Coffee does not hydrate the body !

Coffee does not count as Water

Just as POP does NOT count as water
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Do you log beer as water? No? Then don't log coffee as water. Drink your water pure -- and lots of it!

Apples and oranges.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Yup.

Water comes from anything that has water in it - shocking I know!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

You are both dead, flat wrong. You have been misinformed by people who don't know any better.

Caffeine is a mild diuretic. Very mild. The added urine volume from the effects of caffeine in coffee and soda are small compared to the volume of fluid in the drinks. Replacing coffee with equal volumes of water does not lead to better hydration levels.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Drink your coffee, drink your soda.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    I wish MFP would remove that little feature so people would stop asking this question.

I need more coffee.

Word.
  • 120by30

You are both dead, flat wrong. You have been misinformed by people who don't know any better.

Caffeine is a mild diuretic. Very mild. The added urine volume from the effects of caffeine in coffee and soda are small compared to the volume of fluid in the drinks. Replacing coffee with equal volumes of water does not lead to better hydration levels.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Drink your coffee, drink your soda.

Thank you, sir! I raise my bottle of Diet Mt. Dew to you.
  • jwhackers84
    jwhackers84 Posts: 43 Member
    When I was drinking coffee I added it in with my food. In my opinion, just because it has water in it doesn't make it count as water in my eyes. But, I don't think it really matters one way or another, as long as you're staying hydrated. Do what makes you happy.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Do you log beer as water? No? Then don't log coffee as water. Drink your water pure -- and lots of it!

Wait, I'm not suppose to log my beer as water. But it's Michelob Ultra.. so it's pretty much water.

LOL
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    I don't count it, or count it as a half of the amount I drank.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    I count any fluids that are not milk as fluids including coffee and tea. Hospitals do too. (I and O). I count any caloric additives as food/calories.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    I log things as they are in my diary. If I have coffee I log it as coffee, if I have green tea I log it as green tea, if I have plain water I log it as water. If you are accurately logging everything as it is then you are being as accurate as possible. If you want to count that towards your daily water that is fine, but in my diary I keep it accurate.

Edited to add: it's really your choice though. Like I said if you want to count it towards your water intake because it hydrates you go ahead, just try to keep your diary accurate.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    I count every fluid as "water" because that's how we measure fluid intake in a hospital setting. Fluid is hydration, period. Coffee does cause you to urinate more, so that's the only reason one may not want to count it.

Coffee won't make you urinate more because it de-hydrates you. So you need to drink more water to re-hydrate, if you drink coffee of tea. Coffee also has calories where water does not. But like anything else here, you are on a honor system to yourself so do what ever you want.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Is it coffee? The add to MFP as coffee...