Does my morning coffee count

Options

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I count any fluids that are not milk as fluids including coffee and tea. Hospitals do too. (I and O). I count any caloric additives as food/calories.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I log things as they are in my diary. If I have coffee I log it as coffee, if I have green tea I log it as green tea, if I have plain water I log it as water. If you are accurately logging everything as it is then you are being as accurate as possible. If you want to count that towards your daily water that is fine, but in my diary I keep it accurate.

Edited to add: it's really your choice though. Like I said if you want to count it towards your water intake because it hydrates you go ahead, just try to keep your diary accurate.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I count every fluid as "water" because that's how we measure fluid intake in a hospital setting. Fluid is hydration, period. Coffee does cause you to urinate more, so that's the only reason one may not want to count it.

Coffee won't make you urinate more because it de-hydrates you. So you need to drink more water to re-hydrate, if you drink coffee of tea. Coffee also has calories where water does not. But like anything else here, you are on a honor system to yourself so do what ever you want.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is it coffee? The add to MFP as coffee...
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Coffee is brewed with water. Beer is brewed with water.

If coffee counts as water, so does beer.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.
    Coffee does not hydrate the body !

Coffee does not count as Water

Just as POP does NOT count as water

You are both dead, flat wrong. You have been misinformed by people who don't know any better.

Caffeine is a mild diuretic. Very mild. The added urine volume from the effects of caffeine in coffee and soda are small compared to the volume of fluid in the drinks. Replacing coffee with equal volumes of water does not lead to better hydration levels.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Drink your coffee, drink your soda.

AMEN!!!! If coffee and soda dehydrated you, I have a sister who would have been dead years ago.. She literally does not drink any fluid that is not coffee or soda. Personally, I do drink a good amount of water because I don't always want the calories/additives in non-water beverages.. and for me it's really refreshing... but that does not mean I'm any better hydrated than those who choose non water beverages.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Except beer contains alcohol and coffee doesn't. Guess what alcohol does?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think he was joking :tongue: :drinker:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    As long as your pee is light yellow, don't worry so much about the actual cups of fluid vs pure water. Don't obsess over details like this. :wink:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    if your coffee is counting, call the local university as you've discovered a new intelligent species!
    I was just thinking the same thing... wondering how I could have been so remiss as to not have yet posted this.
    Sesame-Street-the-Count-001.jpg
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options

ahh bring out the alcohol now we don't have to add to the calories! awesome. could be more partying going on now ;)

Coffee has water... but it does also have milk unless you have it black! and it may also have sugar! therefore this is counted in your food log as calories! Water is the clear stuff that doesn't have added stuff to it! it doesn't add calories to your nutrition! i'll ask my 12yr old in the morning what she thinks :laugh:

I'm going to have a cup of tea before bed.. and I'll add it to my calories! :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

ahh bring out the alcohol now we don't have to add to the calories! awesome. could be more partying going on now ;)

Coffee has water... but it does also have milk unless you have it black! and it may also have sugar! therefore this is counted in your food log as calories! Water is the clear stuff that doesn't have added stuff to it! it doesn't add calories to your nutrition! i'll ask my 12yr old in the morning what she thinks :laugh:

I'm going to have a cup of tea before bed.. and I'll add it to my calories! :)

Nothing's stopping you from tracking it in both places.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Beer only counts as water if you drink American beer ;)
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I hydrate with beer

I do this also!!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

^
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That joke was funny in 1998. Not so much today ;)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee as water.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Coffee isn't water. It dehydrates home people- like me, but others don't have that effect. I wouldn't count it as water though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You mean my 10% Ovila or my 11% KBS are water? Wow, you've opened a whole new world for me!

(P.S. Most "domestic" beers aren't American at all! :wink: )