Does my morning coffee count

Options

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Coffee is brewed with water. Beer is brewed with water.

If coffee counts as water, so does beer.

ahh bring out the alcohol now we don't have to add to the calories! awesome. could be more partying going on now ;)

Coffee has water... but it does also have milk unless you have it black! and it may also have sugar! therefore this is counted in your food log as calories! Water is the clear stuff that doesn't have added stuff to it! it doesn't add calories to your nutrition! i'll ask my 12yr old in the morning what she thinks :laugh:

I'm going to have a cup of tea before bed.. and I'll add it to my calories! :)

Uh, yeah, you know you can add it to your water count toward hydration AND add the non-water components to your calories... It's a pretty simple solution that I'll bet your 12 year old could come up with. Don't assume that because someone is saying they count the water in coffee as water, that they aren't ALSO tracking the non-water components.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

Its been proven that the diuretic effect of coffee and tea is pretty insignificant and that it could be counted towards your fluid intake if you chose. There are people that are alot more sensitive to it though, so just listen to yourself.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    FTLOG when will this myth go away?

"There's nothing magical about water from a glass of water as opposed to water from a food or any other beverage," Barr said.

Drinking caffeinated beverages such as tea and coffee do not lead to dehydration, said Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a nephrologist at the University of Pennsylvania who reviewed research claims on drinking eight glasses of water and studied how the kidneys handle it"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Does my morning coffee count as water drank?

Plain coffee (no sweetener, no cream) has calories and sodium so does not count as water although some will argue otherwise.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    Coffee is brewed with water. Beer is brewed with water.

If coffee counts as water, so does beer.

ahh bring out the alcohol now we don't have to add to the calories! awesome. could be more partying going on now ;)

Coffee has water... but it does also have milk unless you have it black! and it may also have sugar! therefore this is counted in your food log as calories! Water is the clear stuff that doesn't have added stuff to it! it doesn't add calories to your nutrition! i'll ask my 12yr old in the morning what she thinks :laugh:

I'm going to have a cup of tea before bed.. and I'll add it to my calories! :)

Uh, yeah, you know you can add it to your water count toward hydration AND add the non-water components to your calories... It's a pretty simple solution that I'll bet your 12 year old could come up with. Don't assume that because someone is saying they count the water in coffee as water, that they aren't ALSO tracking the non-water components.

ahh.. but i count my water separately as i am a big water drinker anyways.so doesn't really matter. You can track it in water and as calories. But you can't say that Coffee doesn't add calories. I have been known to be a huge coffee drinker. So it makes sense to track it in my calories when I want to cut that back as well as those unwanted calories.

relax a little!
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I take dehydrates you for $100 Alex!!!!!!!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Plain coffee (no sweetener, no cream) has calories and sodium so does not count as water although some will argue otherwise.
    I will be one of them. Do you have any scientific evidence to back up this claim, or just your opinion?
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hydrate with beer
    Mmmmm, nice frosty mugs :drinker: :drinker:
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hydrate with beer
    Mmmmm beer, nice frosty mugs :drinker: :drinker:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I hydrate with beer
    Mmmmm beer, nice frosty mugs :drinker: :drinker:

Good lord no ... kills the flavour :-)
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I only count water and unsweetened iced tea as water. Juice and coffee are logged in my food.
    I think whatever you want to do but I would make sure you are drinking plenty of other 'fluids' besides coffee, soda, juice, etc...
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    no I don't count it as water...I use International Delight in mine so I log it with my food and my K-cups do have calories

Same for me. I don't even log the water I add to my morning smoothie (less than 1 cup)...I only log water when I actually drink a cup of it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    no I don't count it as water...I use International Delight in mine so I log it with my food and my K-cups do have calories

Same for me. I don't even log the water I add to my morning smoothie (less than 1 cup)...I only log water when I actually drink a cup of it.

How does that make sense? What's the difference?
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

How does that make sense? What's the difference?

What I mean is that I only log water as water when I'm drinking it plain, nothing added to it. I could technically count Snapple tea as water since tea is made mostly of water, but the point of 'me' logging my water is to make sure I'm consuming water and not other caloric drinks. It's a personal preference. Some people even go as far as to not drink 8 full cups of water because foods contain water as well (especially produce), but I don't count that toward water consumption either whereas my mom does.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I will be one of them. Do you have any scientific evidence to back up this claim, or just your opinion?

Un, have you checked the nutritional value of coffee? It has 2 - 4 calories per 8 oz depending on how it is made. It also has sodium. Water has neither. Why don't you try logging it yourself to see the nutritional difference between coffee and water. I believe that should be scientific evidence enough to show that coffee does not water. Oh and if you don't what you see ask the database compilers to give you scientific evidence that coffee equals water nutritionally. Sheesh!
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Un, have you checked the nutritional value of coffee? It has 2 - 4 calories per 8 oz depending on how it is made. It also has sodium. Water has neither. Why don't you try logging it yourself to see the nutritional difference between coffee and water. I believe that should be scientific evidence enough to show that coffee does not water. Oh and if you don't what you see ask the database compilers to give you scientific evidence that coffee equals water nutritionally. Sheesh!

I think the point is that it's still water. Just with stuff added to it. It doesn't magically become "not water" when brewed with coffee.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So if I ate a Hershey's Kiss, then drank a liter of water.... the water wouldn't count?

Or would the water not count only if I added the Hershey's Kiss to the water before I drank it?

This is so complicated.
  • blanca0615
    blanca0615 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

If I log water as food it does not show any calorie content, but it does show sodium.