It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• dcroberts3
    dcroberts3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Exactly! It would be great to have it on the menu, but it is completely ridiculous to say it should be required by law! The poster's heart is in the right place, though, probably.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe the government should have us all on feeding tubes too.

Also, all you people crying BW3 aren't "real" wings or whatever, I am sure you like Pizza Hut or McDonald's or Don Pablo's. Don't let your obsession with "authenticity" stand in the way of you and Spicy Garlic sauce, mmkay?
    Actually, no.

Does Don Pablo's even exist anymore?

Actually, no what? Food snobbery is ridiculous. I prefer non-chains where food is treated with consideration, but arguing that somebody shouldn't like BW3 because "OH MY GOD, COME TO BUFFALO". Just no.

And yes, yes they do.
    OMG.

It was a freaking joke.

But, no, I generally don't eat at those places you mentioned on purpose because if I'm going to spend money on food, I want it to taste good.

And, also, there are plenty of places outside of Buffalo that have fabulous wings. BWW isn't one of them.
  • dcroberts3
    dcroberts3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL.
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    Sounds like a first world problem to me.

Agree!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Mmmm now I want wings...booo....

I know! We should invent a regulatory body that prevents conversations about wings so that I'm not compelled to eat them. Stop making me fat people! :mad:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

Buffalo Wild Wings did this for a short time.

What happened? Well they started losing sales to their higher calorie dense foods to items that were healthier options. Either A) People chose a different option or B) They ate less of the things they liked because they were finally given the information they have been needing to make positive choices about what they stuff in their face.

So what was BW3s response?

They removed all caloric/nutrition info from all their menus (where it wasnt required by law) so that they could sell more food to unsuspecting people that wont go out of their way to seek that info themselves. Its a shame an establishment like that has to appear deceitful in its business practice. Bottom line is most businesses do it because they are forced to by law. Not because they want to be helpful to its patrons and offer the information freely.

The biggest problem here is people eating at Buffalo Wild Wings ...

Wings are delicious !!!

I used to eat about 18-24 on avg ...... Ive cut that in half since MFP.....because the info was available on MFP, not on their menu or website. I suspect that the nutrition info came from someone in California (where they are required by law to provide that) who entered it into the database ? So I thank them.
    I'm not saying wings aren't delicious (though I gave them up with all meat a long time ago). I'm saying if you're going to BWW for wings, you're doing it wrong. ;-)

Should I be going there for their wheat grass and sushi?

I_so_confused.jpg
    No, no. You should be getting your wings elsewhere!

I grew up in new York state and lived in Buffalo. I've even had the original wings, though a lot of people prefer Duff's to Anchor Bar. There's a bar around the corner from my house even here in Florida that has wings to rival the best Buffalo has. In fact, had I not gone vegetarian, my proximity to that bar would probably have resulted in me gaining 300 pounds just from the wings ...

Chain restaurant wings? NO!

Thank you for providing this illustration. Your timing was impeccable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think this wouldn't be a bad idea for larger restaurants especially chains to have this. I wouldn't force this onto small mom and pop restaurants but that's about it. Most major restaurants have a nutrition list set up because certain states are already requiring them to have the information on their menus, like in Maryland for example.

But it's already available for most chains, so the only purpose for some new law seems to be to force it on the local restaurants where it's more burdensome.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Also, all you people crying BW3 aren't "real" wings or whatever, I am sure you like Pizza Hut or McDonald's or Don Pablo's. Don't let your obsession with "authenticity" stand in the way of you and Spicy Garlic sauce, mmkay?
    Actually, no.

Actually, no what? Food snobbery is ridiculous. I prefer non-chains where food is treated with consideration, but arguing that somebody shouldn't like BW3 because "OH MY GOD, COME TO BUFFALO". Just no.

And yes, yes they do.
    OMG.

It was a freaking joke.

But, no, I generally don't eat at those places you mentioned on purpose because if I'm going to spend money on food, I want it to taste good.

And, also, there are plenty of places outside of Buffalo that have fabulous wings. BWW isn't one of them.

OMG what was a joke?

Because I was saying it's silly to claim that x chain that sells x food isn't "good" or "real" because they aren't as good as x local place because we're talking about food, which is a matter of taste and experience.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would love it if it was always available in some form...though I must say I do not like it so "in your face" as to be on every menu item all the time...example: needed something to eat at the airport in NY. Slim pickings. Went to a sports bar type place where every menu item had the nutritional info...couldn't find anything even remotely healthy but needed to eat.... I ordered terrible chili that was about 900 calories for a bowl. Plus is was expensive.I'd rather have been in ignorance if my choices are bad or worse and just get what sounds good.

But in general, yes, I wish I could always find the info if I wanted it. I just pick something from the database that sounds close when I don't have the actual info. It's not perfect, but it doesn't happen enough that it's really an issue.

On a side bar...it would be great if every place could offer lighter menu options, like under 500 calorie choices. That would make me super happy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Actually, no.

And yes, yes they do.
    OMG.

It was a freaking joke.

OMG what was a joke?

Because I was saying it's silly to claim that x chain that sells x food isn't "good" or "real" because they aren't as good as x local place because we're talking about food, which is a matter of taste and experience.
    I've seen at least 100 times around here someone talk about a chain restaurant and someone else come in and make a tongue-in-cheek statement about the food there not being good and everyone either laughs along or brushes it off or even agrees. I make a tongue-in-cheek statement about chain restaurant wings not being very good and it's WWIII.

Interesting.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread. Here's my take on the original OPs idea : Why federal law? Do we really need more big government ? No. Vote with your wallet and express your freedom! If folks don't eat at restaurants that don't show food content or calories they will change to make their customers happy. It's how they stay in business. Jiminy Cricket! Why more laws?
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread. Here's my take on the original OPs idea : Why federal law? Do we really need more big government ? No. Vote with your wallet and express your freedom! If folks don't eat at restaurants that don't show food content or calories they will change to make their customers happy. It's how they stay in business. Jiminy Cricket! Why more laws?

Agree!!!! Very good point.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree, I also think that packages of stuff like a package of candy or other small package multi portion items should disclose calories for full container... say sports drinks and such they typically haveu three or so servings a bottle, why not list the calories on the front of the bottle for the entire contents, the truth is people do not always look at things have three servings in a container of personal size... maybe thats just getting over zealous, but darnit if I dont hate grabbing a small package of something and then having to count out every single piece lol being picky I know lol
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some people eat out alot - for whatever reason it may be. So, for me I only go to places that have the calories listed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would like to see customers pressure stores into providing this information as I would find it quite useful. I think stores would come around to it if customers just made their voices heard and let them know this was desirable. A venue that did this would instantly become more attractive to dieters and those who watch their calories and nutrition. And in case you haven't noticed there is quite a lot of us. This is a good idea but it's not right to stamp our feet we just need to let these business know that it's in their best interests too. Works the other way round too. If a company fails to provide this very easily provided info when pressured you can probably assume it doesn't want you to know what's in it's food.

Seems quite sensible and already happening. Restaurants that sell based on health benefits and advertise the calorie counts and so on seem not all that uncommon, and patronizing them and telling them that's why, vs. complaining to restaurants that don't seem a smart way to go about this. As I said in my other post, I can't find a chain that doesn't have this kind of information available, so I have to assume the real target here are smaller local restaurants.

And as for smaller local restaurants, I really don't want this kind of information. I wouldn't trust it--it's enough of a pain for me to do when I'm cooking complicated recipes for a group and I'm really motivated--and I think it would stifle creativity, menu changes, etc. What I do want is that the restaurants I go to (when I go out to dinner I go pretty much exclusively to local restaurants, not chains) be willing to answer questions if I ask and allow such things as bringing out oil and vinegar vs. putting on the planned dressing if asked (I actually generally don't, but still). If they wouldn't--someone upthread said they'd had this experience, although I haven't--then I'd patronize another restaurant and tell them the reason. Given the failure rate for restaurants, customer desires would seem to be significant, and I don't see the need for a law. If someone cares that much, there are a million restaurants that do have this information available, plus plenty of others that would answer questions if asked. My suspicion is that people don't want to be bothered to ask or even look up the relevant information.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    First of all, I must admit that I go to restaurants too often. A few years ago I was on a temporary work assignment (1+ year) and had gotten a per diem to expense meals each day. I was given an allowance of ~70/day and foolishly I took it as a challenge and went to restaurants every day and ordered way too much food. This is how I gained a lot of my current weight.

Most people here, create meals at home and don't go to restaurants often. And when they do go to restaurants, they don't really care too much about the exact nutrient information, since its a special occasion, etc. That's definitely the healthy way to go, and I tip my hat to everyone who does so.

I on the other hand, still go out to eat often. I am currently on a temporary work assignment again, and I have my meal allowance again. Now I make a special effort to go to places that have nutrition information available. I generally do the research BEFORE I go to the restaurant. I also go to smaller places like Panera Bread, Jason's Deli, etc. They have menu choices that I can work into my daily calorie and macronutriet goals.

I wish more restaurants had nutrition information available, but I understand that it is not practical for small restaurants to do so. I fully expect large chains to have them though.

Also, I understand there are issues with enforceability, and variation. A few years ago when a waitress would say something like "the chef 'accidentally' made it double size" I'd smile and say "my complements to the chef" and probably end up giving an extra large tip. Now during the same situation I'd wonder why the chef wants to taunt me with more calories. So yes, for better or for worse consistency isn't as prevalent in smaller restaurants. On the other end of the spectrum nutritional information make perfect sense for a place like McDonald's since their goal is to make every unit as similar to their reference unit as possible.

Summary: I wish nutritional information was available for ALL restaurants but I understand that due to cost, enforceability, variation, etc it may not be practical.

That said, I'm always sad to read that Americans have so little faith in their government. I have relatives in Germany and Japan and this may be due to my selection bias, but every time I travel to most other countries, when the government mandates that companies do something, people tend to think of the government standing against business for the good of the people. Basically, they think of the government AS the people ("we the people" and all that.) In the US, the (federal) government is some entity in a far away land ("DC") that's always up to no good. Again, probably selection bias since I'm comparing friends/relatives in Germany/Japan vs public posters here.
  • ellenlucy6
    ellenlucy6 Posts: 4
    Options
    (To the person saying its a 'first world' problem)
    I think you've fallen for the western construction of the 'third world' ....I'd hazard a guess and say all countries have restaurants and at least a few people counting calories. The construction is problematic because it reinforces that western ideals = development, which has generally been shown not to be the case, and even the terms used, first or third, is subtly reinforcing that richer countries are better.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Why should restuarants now, after thousands of years in existence, be required to add calorie and nutritional information now?

Eating out has never been a problem for human beings. In plenty of places, even today, people still dine out, and their greater population is nowhere near as obese as the US.

For the calorie counters out there, sure, it'll make your life easier (assuming the values posted are even remotely accurate). But, in general? Every food establishment being federally mandated to provide such information isn't likely to curb the obesity trend at all. It'll ultimately be a money and time waster.

The bottom line is that it's just far simpler to place the onus of regulation and education on the consumer. If you find yourself eating out a lot, and your waistline is expanding, not to mention an overall deterioration of your other food related health markers, it's probably time for you to just...stop eating out so much.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    (To the person saying its a 'first world' problem)
    I think you've fallen for the western construction of the 'third world' ....I'd hazard a guess and say all countries have restaurants and at least a few people counting calories. The construction is problematic because it reinforces that western ideals = development, which has generally been shown not to be the case, and even the terms used, first or third, is subtly reinforcing that richer countries are better.

Someone is in community college
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    First of all, I must admit that I go to restaurants too often. A few years ago I was on a temporary work assignment (1+ year) and had gotten a per diem to expense meals each day. I was given an allowance of ~70/day and foolishly I took it as a challenge and went to restaurants every day and ordered way too much food. This is how I gained a lot of my current weight.

Most people here, create meals at home and don't go to restaurants often. And when they do go to restaurants, they don't really care too much about the exact nutrient information, since its a special occasion, etc. That's definitely the healthy way to go, and I tip my hat to everyone who does so.

I on the other hand, still go out to eat often. I am currently on a temporary work assignment again, and I have my meal allowance again. Now I make a special effort to go to places that have nutrition information available. I generally do the research BEFORE I go to the restaurant. I also go to smaller places like Panera Bread, Jason's Deli, etc. They have menu choices that I can work into my daily calorie and macronutriet goals.

I wish more restaurants had nutrition information available, but I understand that it is not practical for small restaurants to do so. I fully expect large chains to have them though.

Also, I understand there are issues with enforceability, and variation. A few years ago when a waitress would say something like "the chef 'accidentally' made it double size" I'd smile and say "my complements to the chef" and probably end up giving an extra large tip. Now during the same situation I'd wonder why the chef wants to taunt me with more calories. So yes, for better or for worse consistency isn't as prevalent in smaller restaurants. On the other end of the spectrum nutritional information make perfect sense for a place like McDonald's since their goal is to make every unit as similar to their reference unit as possible.

Summary: I wish nutritional information was available for ALL restaurants but I understand that due to cost, enforceability, variation, etc it may not be practical.

That said, I'm always sad to read that Americans have so little faith in their government. I have relatives in Germany and Japan and this may be due to my selection bias, but every time I travel to most other countries, when the government mandates that companies do something, people tend to think of the government standing against business for the good of the people. Basically, they think of the government AS the people ("we the people" and all that.) In the US, the (federal) government is some entity in a far away land ("DC") that's always up to no good. Again, probably selection bias since I'm comparing friends/relatives in Germany/Japan vs public posters here.

It is true that any government we can't trust with menu regulations can't be trusted with guns, much less tanks and nukes.

Okay, now I need to go find something else to do!