Any child free peeps on MFP?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Glad to see that everyone is sandbagging it while the rest of us contribute to the continuation of civilization as we know it. *Kicks rocks*

how's your recycling program going? renewable energy? promoting compassion as the highest of all human virtues? because without these, civilization will not continue, and adding more people to it will just hasten its demise.

meanwhile i'll continue with my non-DNA-replicating contributions to society, unrecognized as they are.

:flowerforyou:

Selective depopulation would never be considered a viable option for the human race...it works beautifully in controlled ecosystems like my pond which has become overpopulated with bluegill before my bass could take off...

And if you really wanted to go down this hilosophical route, none of the things mentioned would do anything more than insignificantly delay the inevitable anyway...doesn't negate their importance, but still.
  • PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than have kids. Guessed I missed the parenting gene in my family.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Now make sure you label yourself correctly or you will get your hand slapped.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    I think that child free people seem hostile and angry (based solely on this post).

This post is stressing me out far worse than my child does when he is acting up.

Not here to argue, just stating how I interpreted the replies in here by those who don't seem to appreciate comments by people with children. To people who have children, being "child free" can simply mean a trip to the grocery store alone. I see that the OP was edited to clarify so many responses probably came in before she did that.

i think that a lot of what you see is maybe more of a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of us. some of this in here was genuine "no, the term means this". but every person who makes this choice is told the SAME things by society over and over and over and OVER. and it does grate, and it can make us a little quicker to defend. b/c we're so used to having to do that.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    QCFBC? (Questioning Child Free by Choice:wink: ). Happily married for five years now (together for 5 before marriage), turning 30 in July, and starting to question whether or not I actually do want children. Really, it's kind of a scary thought for me...being CFBC...just due to expectations and whatnot and coming to terms with my feelings!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Apparently some breeders have taken offense to my post. Oh well...whattaya gonna do? :blushing:

I actually find the term breeders offensive and I don't have children... can you think of a new word please and thanks. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

^ Yep. This.

I'm currently childless, quite possibly child free. I haven't decided yet. But, in any event, the term "breeders" is juvenile, condescending, obnoxious and, perhaps most importantly, doesn't do anything to further a constructive dialogue about the many different types of families we see in the world today.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Apparently some breeders have taken offense to my post. Oh well...whattaya gonna do? :blushing:

^ Hah, looks like she edited her original post to take "breeders" out. Nice try.

thumbs+up.jpg
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    I think that child free people seem hostile and angry (based solely on this post).

This post is stressing me out far worse than my child does when he is acting up.

Not here to argue, just stating how I interpreted the replies in here by those who don't seem to appreciate comments by people with children. To people who have children, being "child free" can simply mean a trip to the grocery store alone. I see that the OP was edited to clarify so many responses probably came in before she did that.

If you're stressed out by childfree individuals eye-rolling at parents or someday-parents responding to this post, think of how stressful it is for some childfree individuals to hear over and over and over (and over) again:

1. You will change your mind.
    2. It's different when it's your own.
    3. You should be a parent because ____.
    4. You are not a real woman until you have a baby.
    5. You do not understand tired/hard work/life/anything until you become a mother.
    6. You must be selfish.
    7. You are a terrible human being.
    8. Who will take care of you when you grow old?

etc.

etc.

etc.

(P.S. I am neither angry nor hostile!)
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member

^ Hah, looks like she edited her original post to take "breeders" out. Nice try.

I did. Knee-jerk reaction. Sue me. Apologies. :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member

i think that a lot of what you see is maybe more of a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of us. some of this in here was genuine "no, the term means this". but every person who makes this choice is told the SAME things by society over and over and over and OVER. and it does grate, and it can make us a little quicker to defend. b/c we're so used to having to do that.

I totally understand that these are knee jerk reactions, but regardless "child free" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone and we all know how people just pop in to posts without even reading it just to say something. So the people who are saying that they are child free because of being an empty nester do not deserve to be made to feel stupid because they have a child who may or may not physically be in their presence.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    No kids. Happily married since 2007.
    I am really getting tired of the "When are you having kids?" Me: "Probably never"

..."oh, you'll change your mind"

shut up.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member

If you're stressed out by childfree individuals eye-rolling at parents or someday-parents responding to this post, think of how stressful it is for some childfree individuals to hear over and over and over (and over) again:

5. You do not understand tired/hard work/life/anything until you become a mother.
    6. You must be selfish.

etc.

etc.

etc.

As I just stated in another reply, I think that the knee jerk reaction even by the people who just haven't had children yet to assume "child free" just means "without children." Perhaps it should be capitalized to indicate that it is a movement, so to speak. "Child Free?"
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member

I did. Knee-jerk reaction. Sue me. Apologies. :flowerforyou:

Knee jerk is just another term for instinctual and unguarded. Aka your true colours.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    I am 29, happily married, and child-free by choice for life! My hubbie and I made that decision 7 years ago (we were dating then, but serious) and haven't looked back. We have 2 sweet kitties that give us enough trouble and still wake us up early on weekends. I'm also a proud auntie, and get plenty of fulfillment in that role.

My hubbie and I have our reasons for not having kids (some in common, some separate). We love the kids that our friends and family have, but we also enjoy the life we have built together, and we enjoy having a few couples as friends that share our choice not to have or raise children. Given the enthusiastic responses to this post, I'm guessing we are not alone.

To those who think we are angry, bitter, mean, etc...try being told all the time that you will "change your mind" about a difficult and unpopular decision, which I'm guessing for most is not a quick and easy decision.Try being told you are selfish, that you obviously hate children, that you just haven't found the right person yet, that you'd be such a great parent, that you risk losing your partner if you change your mind. Try being asked who will take care of you when you grow old, how your life will have any meaning without children, what you could possibly be doing with all your free time. I'd like to meet a person who can take that constant barrage of questioning and derision from friends, family, strangers, and society and not feel even just a little perturbed once in a while.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member

6. You must be selfish.

etc.

etc.

etc.

Oh yah. super tired of all this CRAP! and You know what I tell those that call me selfish? I tell them I AM. I'm not ashamed.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Happily made the decision to live the child-free life! My husband and I enjoy living life and traveling.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

I totally understand that these are knee jerk reactions, but regardless "child free" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone and we all know how people just pop in to posts without even reading it just to say something. So the people who are saying that they are child free because of being an empty nester do not deserve to be made to feel stupid because they have a child who may or may not physically be in their presence.

This. And X 1,000 to those who were obnoxious to the people who posted about not being able to have kids. Pretty low.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I had no idea that "child free" exclusively meant "child free by choice". I consider a solo trip to the store as "child free".

I am also not offended by the term "breeders".
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I've never heard of this "child free" definition. I'm child-free every time I go to work or exercise.
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member

This. And X 1,000 to those who were obnoxious to the people who posted about not being able to have kids. Pretty low.

+10000000000000