Popular shows that are overrated.

Options

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    The Big Bang Theory.

It's not good, ya'll. The writing is banal. The characters are cliche. The acting could be out done by most high school theatre productions. The plot was already done by every sitcom in the 70s-90s.

Most of the shows you listed so far in this thread, you listed for personal taste reasons. You don't like Breaking Bad because it's unpleasant (it's not supposed to be pleasant. you're not supposed to like the characters or their story.) You don't like The Walking Dead because zombies. Fair enough. Hell, I don't like It's Always Sunny just because I don't enjoy the characters. But personal preferences are not the same as "overrated".

The Big Bang Theory is a truly mediocre show that somehow got really popular. I'm not sure why. Maybe because pretending to be a "nerd" when you're really a dumbass suddenly got really cool about the time the show started airing?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The Big Bang Theory is a truly mediocre show that somehow got really popular. I'm not sure why. Maybe because pretending to be a "nerd" when you're really a dumbass suddenly got really cool about the time the show started airing?

Spot on.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Big Bang Theory - I have tried to like it, I just can't get into it!
    Scrubs - the epitome of stupid
    Any of the Housewives reality shows - just listening to them talk makes my head hurt
    Breaking Bad - I've watched it several times and it is just ok - not really worth all the hype IMHO
    And Honey FREAKING BOO-BOO - really do we need to watch that crap, or be subjected to it? UGH.

There are MANY more, but those are my top!
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yikes! People get all upset over their favorite tv shows. I will say (from my own opinion, of course) that The Walking Dead is overrated simply because I have absolutely zero interest in that kind of thing. My opinion is that zombie shows are stupid, so obviously, that show is going to be overrated. In my opinion. See how that works? No need to insult anyone over differences in tv preference. There are not going to be any universally correct answers in this thread.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Yikes! People get all upset over their favorite tv shows. I will say (from my own opinion, of course) that The Walking Dead is overrated simply because I have absolutely zero interest in that kind of thing. My opinion is that zombie shows are stupid, so obviously, that show is going to be overrated. In my opinion. See how that works? No need to insult anyone over differences in tv preference. There are not going to be any universally correct answers in this thread.

You're absolutely right. Shouldn't let my temper get the best of me. :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I agree some what. I mean I didn't like the show that many have called the best show ever made (not just in this group). But to say Walking Dead is overrated because you don't like zombies or it's just a zombie show just doesn't make sense to me. Not wanting to watch it because it is about zombies or depressing or whatever - fine. But the show is not about zombies, there are zombies in it but there is also a plot, subplots, character development and universal struggles. That said, I'm not really a fan anymore either.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how do you people not like Arrow- Stephen Amell is amazing- who cares about the story- it's straight up fun. Plus he does all his own workouts in that show!!!!

Big Bang Theory- I do not- and have not grasped this- i don't get it.

I watch all sorts of rubbish TV- it doesn't bother me at all.

Breaking bad took me a while to get into- I put it off for many seasons. Finally watched- not to bad.
    Game of thrones I liked....

but yeah- big bang theory- I just can't- not my thing.
    Friends, cheers, Seinfield- nope nope nope- not my thing- never got the obsession.
    Sex in the City too.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

Most of the shows you listed so far in this thread, you listed for personal taste reasons. You don't like Breaking Bad because it's unpleasant (it's not supposed to be pleasant. you're not supposed to like the characters or their story.) You don't like The Walking Dead because zombies. Fair enough. Hell, I don't like It's Always Sunny just because I don't enjoy the characters. But personal preferences are not the same as "overrated".

I was going to say this almost exactly. But, I didn't know if I wanted to get into it... so, thank you.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Zachbooner, I should correct myself. Only five minutes of the show and that was enough for me. Cleared up for ya?

OMG Breaking Bad is SO. GOOD. The first episode is intense, so I can see why you would have wanted to turn it off. But you should seriously give it another shot.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I always find it amusing when I take time to write a solid reply and it gets passed over for shorter replies saying essentially what I said...

I do not agree that "all" reality shows are overrated, as I personally very much enjoy America's/Britain's Got Talent. I guess you could say that I enjoy the variety show, plus Howard Stern=yum. It's not high brow or mind-blowing most of the time (there are a few acts that have been really amazing though) but it's miles better than the voice-only shows IMO.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned things like Jay Leno/David Letterman. Personally, I'm very very glad that they are out the door, and very sad that Craig Ferguson is leaving his show, because I think Craig deserved to have a better viewership... Then again, I'm one of the only people I know who has bothered to read his books, which has lent a lot of light to the attitude of his show.

As for the person that said everything on CW but Supernatural... Supernatural? Really? That show is one of the cheesiest, most predictable shows I've ever been subjected to. I don't mind it but the fanaticism surrounding it is ridiculous.

Add to the list: True Blood. So much True Blood.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Duck Dynasty.
    Walking Dead.
    Gray's Anatomy.

Who has time to watch all these dumb series anyway? I don't know when people find the time to sit on their *kitten*'s and watch all this crap.:grumble:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

a couple minutes? if I stopped watching a show based on a couple minutes I don't think that I'd watch anything. first episodes are usually boring as hell to start out cause they're introducing you to the cast and supposed plot.

I like to think there's a line between watching the opening credits and bailing versus slogging through a season and a half for something to get good, as an above poster said.

I think in between that we have sanity.

But also, you don't have to try something to know you don't like it. If you do I need to go apologize in 358 Shakeology threads...

I do apologize for letting my temper get the best of me. It is just a thread, after all. Drinks on the house for everyone! :drinker:

In for free drinks.

And my contribution is..... Family Guy, I don't understand the fascination with that show I find it awful!! *** Runs quickly away and hides***
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I was going to say this almost exactly. But, I didn't know if I wanted to get into it... so, thank you.

Then who or what is the deciding factor in whether or not something is overrated?
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    two and a half men

Oh, I'm SO with you on that one. At first I thought it didn't portray women very well (and generally it doesn't), but it also doesn't portray men very well either.

I also can't really get into The Walking Dead. I've tried, I just feel like it would make a better 2-hour movie than multi-season TV show. Just my opinion, though. :)
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    just about any reality TV
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Scrubs- I watched a few episodes but just couldn't get into it
    Gray's- I got bored with it after the 3rd season
    Lost- Watched the whole damn thing because I was told it would get better. It never did.
    Lie To Me- It had the same story line every week.
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Seinfeld. It's not a bad show and I've never even disliked it, but I have never found it to be good as the vast amounts of praise it received, would suggest.

Of course it's kind of hard to really know what fits the bill of being overrated when many people seem to have different ideas on what "overrated" even means. I'm not saying my view is the right one, but for me personally, "overrated" is when something lackluster receives a lot of critical acclaim or various awards. So while I hated Dukes of Hazard back in it's day, I never viewed it as overrated because the show seemed to get trashed by 99% of television and media critics and despite it's great ratings and popularity, it was never really held in any kind of high regard.

Most stuff these days I tend to see as more over-hyped rather than overrated.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand all the hype behind Breaking Bad, particularly the ending, I watched the entire series and was really disappointed by the ending. I have gone on rants before about how disappointing the ending was to me and yet everyone who watched the show lauded it as an amazing "perfect" ending.

I also don't understand the Walking Dead. I tried watching it, got a season or two in, and was soooo bored I gave up.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Lost

Only because I'm biased. I was in a management class for my bachelors degree when this show ended and the guy I was partnered with came up with the bright idea to do our final project on this show. I hadn't seen a single episode and, frankly, didn't want to but he was dead set on doing our management paperon the rise and fall of John and Jack. I crammed 6 seasons of that bullcrap into 5 weeks. I watched nothing except Lost morning, noon, and night. I even took my laptop with me to work and watched it there. Needless to say, when my husband asked if that should be our next series on Netflix, I said no.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    BREAKING BAD sucks