Popular shows that are overrated.

Options

Replies

• pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    -Most reality shows (e.g., Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Bachelor/Bachelorette), except for cooking ones like Masterchef and Top Chef
    -How I Met Your Mother
    -Two and a Half Men
    -Supernatural (my husband loves this tho)
    -Vampire Diaries, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel (most vampire/demon shows) - will be interesting to see how the new series Rosemary's Baby does!
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there's a thread like this already, but here it goes. Name some shows that are popular, but you don't like or doesn't peak your interest.

Teen Mom. So wrong on many levels.
    KUWTK. The person or persons that came up with this idea should be shot, maimed and killed.
    The Vampire Diaries.
    Arrow.
    Breaking Bad. Never once have I wanted to see this show.
    Mad Men. Same reason as BB.
    The Real Housewives of such and such. No. Just no.
    OITNB.

I have more, but these will do for now.

So, I don't watch much TV anyway, just a few shows that I DVR each week to marathon watch on weekends. And I may be showing my ignorance here, but I have no idea what KUWTK and OITNB are.

I don't watch any of the other shows you listed, but are they over-rated? I guess that's a matter of opinion and on those shows I have none.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Scandal
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there's a thread like this already, but here it goes. Name some shows that are popular, but you don't like or doesn't peak your interest.

Teen Mom. So wrong on many levels.
    KUWTK. The person or persons that came up with this idea should be shot, maimed and killed.
    The Vampire Diaries.
    Arrow.
    Breaking Bad. Never once have I wanted to see this show.
    Mad Men. Same reason as BB.
    The Real Housewives of such and such. No. Just no.
    OITNB.

I have more, but these will do for now.

So, I don't watch much TV anyway, just a few shows that I DVR each week to marathon watch on weekends. And I may be showing my ignorance here, but I have no idea what KUWTK and OITNB are.

I don't watch any of the other shows you listed, but are they over-rated? I guess that's a matter of opinion and on those shows I have none.

To me, they are overrated. KUWTK is Keeping Up With The Kardashians. OITNB is Orange Is The New Black. Would rather watch Lockdown or Hard Time, instead.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I always find it amusing when I take time to write a solid reply and it gets passed over for shorter replies saying essentially what I said...

I do not agree that "all" reality shows are overrated, as I personally very much enjoy America's/Britain's Got Talent. I guess you could say that I enjoy the variety show, plus Howard Stern=yum. It's not high brow or mind-blowing most of the time (there are a few acts that have been really amazing though) but it's miles better than the voice-only shows IMO.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned things like Jay Leno/David Letterman. Personally, I'm very very glad that they are out the door, and very sad that Craig Ferguson is leaving his show, because I think Craig deserved to have a better viewership... Then again, I'm one of the only people I know who has bothered to read his books, which has lent a lot of light to the attitude of his show.

As for the person that said everything on CW but Supernatural... Supernatural? Really? That show is one of the cheesiest, most predictable shows I've ever been subjected to. I don't mind it but the fanaticism surrounding it is ridiculous.

Add to the list: True Blood. So much True Blood.

1st bolded: I find it amusing when people feel slighted when someone doesn't respond to their post.

2nd bolded: I like it in spite of its campiness (I like campy horror and kung fu movies too) and watch it when I get the chance. It's odd how impassioned you are about other people's personal likes and dislikes when it comes to television series. It's just TV.

I'm adding "Entourage" to my list.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The Big Bang Theory.

It's not good, ya'll. The writing is banal. The characters are cliche. The acting could be out done by most high school theatre productions. The plot was already done by every sitcom in the 70s-90s.

Most of the shows you listed so far in this thread, you listed for personal taste reasons. You don't like Breaking Bad because it's unpleasant (it's not supposed to be pleasant. you're not supposed to like the characters or their story.) You don't like The Walking Dead because zombies. Fair enough. Hell, I don't like It's Always Sunny just because I don't enjoy the characters. But personal preferences are not the same as "overrated".

The Big Bang Theory is a truly mediocre show that somehow got really popular. I'm not sure why. Maybe because pretending to be a "nerd" when you're really a dumbass suddenly got really cool about the time the show started airing?

Ugh. Don't forget the laugh track. They set that thing off like every two seconds! Once I was at the gym on the treadmill and this guy was watching it with the volume turned up to 11 and even though I had headphones on, I could still hear that laugh track!!! And the whole show is set up around the same jokes week after week. Raj won't talk to women. Sheldon has to sit in the same spot on the couch. Oh yeah and Bazinga.
  • vera_sweet
    vera_sweet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Walking Dead --- They're STILL running from zombies (x amount) seasons later. I get that it's not just about zombies but come on now...

Arrow --- Really? Really???? The bad acting, the horrible plotlines, the terrible costumes, unlovable characters. Why?

Reality TV shows --- What a horrifying reality it is if these were true in real life. Unfortunately, some people believe that the same crap they see on tv works in the real world.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    BREAKING BAD sucks

obvious troll...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n2en6dBGTz1qk08n1o1_250.gif
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Winner winner.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Winner winner.

tumblr_lu868oB3XZ1qii6tmo1_250.gif
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options

OMG, this made my morning! Kanye, look forward to this in ten years! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

As for the person that said everything on CW but Supernatural... Supernatural? Really? That show is one of the cheesiest, most predictable shows I've ever been subjected to. I don't mind it but the fanaticism surrounding it is ridiculous.

Add to the list: True Blood. So much True Blood.

Exactly how far did you get in supernatural?
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    All reality shows!!
    Modern family
    Two n half men with Kutcher
    Everything on abc family
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    True Blood. Most annoying opening credits ever.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    They are all overrated. I can't think of a single tv show that is good. There are a lot I've never seen, and I have no interest in watching them. Others that I watch, but don't think they are great, I just overlook what isn't good about them. Maybe there is a good one or two that I am missing.
  • kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Tosh.o uhhh hate that show
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty. (see a theme?)

OTOH, the Double Divas crack me up! I LOVE those two!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Just heard Revolution finally got cancelled. The fact that it limped along for as long as it did proves it was way overrated. How in hell did they manage to make post-apocalyptic-anything so dull and boring?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just heard Revolution finally got cancelled. The fact that it limped along for as long as it did proves it was way overrated. How in hell did they manage to make post-apocalyptic-anything so dull and boring?

omgggg I thought it was just me! I made it through 4 episodes before I wanted to gnaw my arm off...