Why do people get so mean?

Options

Replies

• fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In almost every thread I follow, there is at least one jerk who has to cut down the person who asked the question. Everyone has to be a beginner sometime, and there are no dumb questions.

Honestly, maybe if everyone reported the rotten apples, we could remove them.

To that jerk in every thread: Hey Buddy, nobody forced you to read this. Go away.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have a nice day!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Now, I suppose, comes more horrible behavior that we, as a species, have perfected.:cry:

I'm certain this observation has been made, but I just don't have the time to waste reading the pages of well-earned hostility you've received.

Fact is, you knew exactly what was going to happen when you wrote this, it was intentionally provocative, and you even hung a little lampshade on your self-fulfilling prophecy when you wrote this last sentence.

Way to troll! Nice to have you on board.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you're specifically referring to this topic or others like it (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283974-it-starts-with-nutrition), the reason people, including myself, jump on LaMarques Carter is because he is trying to sell a product. His information is not backed up by proper peer-reviewed studies, he never sticks around to even have civil discourse about it - he just blatantly plugs Herbalife in an effort to take advantage of those new to fitness and looking for "help."

It's not being mean, it's standing up for those who don't know any better and preventing them from getting scammed.

No. She's not upset about that thread specifically. She's upset someone brought up her own thread about clean eating in that thread.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw this out there - the 'mean' people on here are awesome. I've learned so much from their 'bullying' and 'rudeness' and the advice I've read (that most thread OPs ignore because it's not sugar-coated unicorn farts) has helped me immensely.
    I mean...GAWD, I thought MFP was here to SUPPORT people, not tell them that their bad ideas are bad!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're specifically referring to this topic or others like it (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283974-it-starts-with-nutrition), the reason people, including myself, jump on LaMarques Carter is because he is trying to sell a product. His information is not backed up by proper peer-reviewed studies, he never sticks around to even have civil discourse about it - he just blatantly plugs Herbalife in an effort to take advantage of those new to fitness and looking for "help."

It's not being mean, it's standing up for those who don't know any better and preventing them from getting scammed.

No. She's not upset about that thread specifically. She's upset someone brought up her own thread about clean eating in that thread.

Threadception.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Threadception.

inception-brrrrmmmmmspinningtop_zps38b1447d.gif
  • cychogal
    cychogal Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of this issue. I feel bad for people, and myself, when someone treats their question or comment like it is stupid.
    But the more I check out the message boards, the more I see that it truly is the same darn thing every day. So I understand why some questions get the responses they do.
    I have learned to use the 'search' function for many of my questions. And only if I want more opinions or don't find the information I'm looking for, will I post a question.
    I love the reality you have to face when you come on these boards. If you post something about doing a grapefruit cleanse, or injecting yourself with whatever it is they inject in people to help them lose weight, then there will be tons of posts about how ridiculous that stuff is.
    And I like it because I agree with that. But I sometimes get my head turned. I could see myself falling for some stupid diet scheme, but I come on here and to a little research and I can see clearly again.
    So I guess if you get upset by some of the comments, you need to develop a thicker skin. And try to not let being offended steer you away from some really great, sound advice.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw this out there - the 'mean' people on here are awesome. I've learned so much from their 'bullying' and 'rudeness' and the advice I've read (that most thread OPs ignore because it's not sugar-coated unicorn farts) has helped me immensely.

This x100. I love reading the threads full of snark because I always learn something from the discussion and I can draw my own conclusions from pros and cons that always emerge from the posts. Some people on here are incredibly knowledgable about weight loss and weight lifting and I owe nearly everything to them for introducing me to the proper way to lose weight and to build muscles. And some people are just downright humorous. And some people take themselves way too seriously.

I have a motto that I've adopted over the past year that I think explains it perfectly: We live in a land of the perpetually offended.

People need to stop being so uptight and so darn serious. Live a little, laugh a lot and your life will be so much better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    H̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶M̶F̶P̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶m̶a̶n̶)̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶e̶m̶p̶a̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶o̶f̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶e̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶.̶

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶e̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶t̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶u̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶n̶y̶m̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶h̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶d̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶ maybe you should just ignore that particular post that ticks you off so much and move on!

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶b̶s̶e̶r̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶?̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶"̶b̶a̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶c̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶"̶a̶n̶e̶c̶d̶o̶t̶e̶s̶"̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶a̶d̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶"̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶"̶!̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶?̶ ̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

I̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶R̶u̶l̶e̶"̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶N̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶a̶v̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶.̶:̶c̶r̶y̶:̶
    Show how to put lines through posts!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    This is what comes from giving kids prizes for participating.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of this issue. I feel bad for people, and myself, when someone treats their question or comment like it is stupid.
    But the more I check out the message boards, the more I see that it truly is the same darn thing every day. So I understand why some questions get the responses they do.
    I have learned to use the 'search' function for many of my questions. And only if I want more opinions or don't find the information I'm looking for, will I post a question.
    I love the reality you have to face when you come on these boards. If you post something about doing a grapefruit cleanse, or injecting yourself with whatever it is they inject in people to help them lose weight, then there will be tons of posts about how ridiculous that stuff is.
    And I like it because I agree with that. But I sometimes get my head turned. I could see myself falling for some stupid diet scheme, but I come on here and to a little research and I can see clearly again.
    So I guess if you get upset by some of the comments, you need to develop a thicker skin. And try to not let being offended steer you away from some really great, sound advice.

Honestly I had all my ducks in a row for developing an eating disorder when I came here. I had a 1200 calorie goal and the method to implement it easily. I'd lost weight in the past the same way but only about a half to a third of the amount I needed to lose now. I had months and months and months to keep to this low cal goal WHILE simultaneously having the medical "all clear" to workout to my hearts content. That meant that within about the first month or two I would have been netting about 1000 cals or less and each month going less and less as my body became more conditioned to working out for longer times. If I had managed to survive all this, I would have achieved my cal goal probably netting closer to 600-700 avg daily cals. I don't even know if I could have recovered from that? That would've been a year on that.

I'm personally grateful to all the meanies who make the TDEE and other information so glaringly and loudly obvious as well as explaining in all the ways from complex to direct things like net cals, and yo yo dieting, and that thing where ppl who eat too little for too long have their mind play tricks on them. All these things combined to keep me from going down a bad road. I'm not where I wanted to be right now b/c life happened along the way and a MAJOR life event got to me. However, I would much rather be where I am today than where I could have been, all skinnyfat with no idea how to dig myself out of a very low cal hole and with probably little mental or physical energy to figure out how to fix that. I can't imagine what poor health that would have yielded but I'm glad I didn't have to find out and my family didn't have to suffer for it.

Thanks meanies!:flowerforyou: Or truth tellers, however you wanna look at it.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options

This x100. I love reading the threads full of snark because I always learn something from the discussion and I can draw my own conclusions from pros and cons that always emerge from the posts. Some people on here are incredibly knowledgable about weight loss and weight lifting and I owe nearly everything to them for introducing me to the proper way to lose weight and to build muscles. And some people are just downright humorous. And some people take themselves way too seriously.

I have a motto that I've adopted over the past year that I think explains it perfectly: We live in a land of the perpetually offended.

People need to stop being so uptight and so darn serious. Live a little, laugh a lot and your life will be so much better.

Agreed. I'm one of those people who tends to get uppity over racist/sexist/homophobic etc remarks. I thought I was an easily offended person. But apparently not, because there are people getting their undies in a twist over hilarious gifs and being told that their fad diets aren't going to work.
    I've also noticed that if people put aside their pride and actually listen to the advice being given, things stay pretty civil and there's very little snark (if any) involved. It's only when people get upset because they weren't patted on the head and told what they want to hear when the snark comes out, and I completely understand why. It must be frustrating trying to actually help someone only to be called rude and mean for your efforts.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Some people are just determined to be mean and angry and hateful. There's not a lot you can do about it.

I usually just ignore anyone who strikes me that way on MFP. The only problem I've experienced on these forums is a couple of people who for whatever reason refuse to ignore me, even though they have made it very clear how much they hate me. Then others "quote" their posts to respond in some way (positive or negative) and I wind up seeing it anyway. I wish MFP had a more sophisticated layout that would keep that from happening, but eh...not a big deal really.

I wish anytime a thread was started with the words "people are mean" in the title, it would autodelete itself.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Usually when I am wrong, I want people to tell me I am wrong. So I can stop being wrong.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    OP, Don't let these forums get to you. It's just not worth giving your energy to. Everyone has different communication styles and when people are passionate about diets, politics, and religion someone is bound to get their feelings hurt.

Not if they have a spine. I read things all the time I don't like. Especially politics. I stop reading them, instead of starting a thread to fling poo at everyone.
This discussion has been closed.