Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Milk.

Yep, that too. And it pisses me off when people compare the price of milk to the price of gas, because I don't go through 2 gallons of milk a day.

You could leave the car and start walking - save a lot on gas
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cherries
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Bread. If I want anything other than the cheap stuff, it will cost at least $3 per loaf, and that's before I start considering the calorie cost. Bakery bread is sometimes good but doesn't last long enough. I guess it could be worse, though, since I don't go through bread too too fast

If you dont eat a lot of bread, do have a try at making your own..........it tastes 100% better and has no additives or keeping chemicals. Its a good workout for your upper arms too!

I totally agree. If I can make something, I refuse to buy it. I will make at least 8 pans of banana bread (whole wheat flour, organic eggs etc) cut in three and freeze - breakfast done.

I refuse to go cheap on my milk - Horizon Organic 2% Lactose.

I refuse to eat another other yogurt but Fage, so buy at least 40 when on sale - 10 for $10, compared to non sale $1.79 each. Sale is usually once every 4 weeks. I buy enough to have one every day. 40 x $1.79 = $71.60, or $40.00 on sale - savings of $31.60.

Everything else I buy at Costco. I am one of those people that grocery shop every 4-6 weeks. Unless I need milk or bananas.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Organic milk--7-8.00 a gallon!!!!!!!! Insane! Almond milk is 1.99 per half gallon, and I wish our 5 year old would drink that instead since it's much cheaper! :)

Also, frozen chicken breasts, the weight watchers chicken breasts I buy are 10.00 for a case of 5-6.
    Organic frozen beef patties--10.00 for 8 patties.

Shredded cheese has gone way up over the past year! I remember just a year or year and a half ago going to the grocery store and getting a bag for 1.50. Now, its on "sale" for 2.89.

Bottled water--7.00 a case for Dasani? For water? The store brand tastes like dirt (literally) and is only 3.00.

Deli lunch meat. 12.00 for 1.5 pounds of ham or turkey?

Oh and most of the coupons available out there stink too. If i ever wanted to stock up on butter, candy, Jimmy Dean sausage, pringles or cat food...I would know where to get coupons to save. Unfortunately, everything we buy on a normal basis are not things that come with coupons the majority of the time.
  • familyizzy
    familyizzy Posts: 26
    Options
    Grapes........love organic grapes and they are about $8.00 for a small bunch.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    what pisses me off more than a high price- is that last week asparagus was 1.99 a bunch.

this week it's 3.99 a bunch.

WHAT.
    THE.
    FRACK.

Stawberries same deal- last week 1.99.
    This week 4+

Bush league.

I get in the off season it's more expensive- but I don't the jump from week to week- that makes me cranky.
    Asparagus season is over.

Strawberries - they were cheap for a little while there. But supply is running lo due to California drought.
    Yup - and get ready to pay more for almonds - the drought it really hurting our farmers out here, and many of the almond growers have already pulled out their orchards due to water problems. :grumble: If you find them for a good price, stock up and throw them in your freezer.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogyurt! I make sure to ALWAYS buy the cheapest brand and usually only stuff that is on sale. But for some reason, all brands of greek yogurt are so so expensive and so I can only eat it once and a while!

also, asparagus and grapes... (and all other yummy veggies/fruits that are out of season) all the tearss
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

Pasties? The tassel things that strippers wear on their tata's?!

I honestly thought the same thing. Will have to google, "pasties, food'.

We have these (they have meat in them)

pasties-31.jpg

and these...pretty!

pasties.jpg

The food version reminds me of pierogies except those look baked and not fried.

Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight 'everything baked potato pierogies'! So delicious and so cheap (flour, water, potatoes, cheese butter and some crumbled bacon)

ETA: I'm glad my 1000th post had two types of pasties in it.

Mmmmm, I haven't had pierogies in ages. Enjoy your dinner. And yay for pasties! :bigsmile:
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating that vegetables in general are expensive, when you can get things like potato chips and other junk food for so cheap.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating that vegetables in general are expensive, when you can get things like potato chips and other junk food for so cheap.
    Potatoes are cheap. Damn cheap. 5 lbs for $4-5 often. A family size bag of chips is like 1 potato cut up.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    This post is timely. The Farmers Market near my office opened up today after being closed for winter. I came back to the office griping about the price of cherries. They are nearly $6 a pound. It's the CA drought, and produce prices are going to get ugly this summer. The price of fresh raspberries & blueberries has always bugged me. I buy them frozen now, and every once in a while I'll splurge and buy the fresh.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    also, asparagus and grapes... (and all other yummy veggies/fruits that are out of season) all the tearss
    You're supposed to buy stuff in season, that's when they are best AND cheapest.
  • gshields89
    gshields89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    asparagus!!!!
  • missionskinnynow
    missionskinnynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt, Quest bars and fresh berries!!!!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bottled Water lol

I buy Ice Mountain bottled water ( 16.9 oz ) at my local Sam's Club, 35 bottles for a little over 4.00 a case...
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    flank steak
    wild rice. seriously, wild mushrooms (yes, those kind) are cheaper. How does this make sense?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bottled Water lol

I buy Ice Mountain bottled water ( 16.9 oz ) at my local Sam's Club, 35 bottles for a little over 4.00 a case...

This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I don't like the tap water here, so I buy water bottles... the cheapest per quart are the 16oz bottles... WHY???? I go through 3-4 a day, it adds a lot of recycling, but I end up spending twice as much if I want the 1 liter bottles... and the gallon bottles are not exactly handy to keep on my desk and have a sip from.

It's DUMB.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get pissed when shopping in general.....

This might offend some people, but I really don't care.... I don't know you or care to know you, so....think what you will.

Friday night I go to the store with my wife to get our weekly items. Our total is usually $110-$150. Usually cart is full.

The person in front of us is on welfare, has about 3 carts FULL and their total is $150, which I paid for with the missing $500 from my paycheck while I bust my *kitten* 40+ hours a week in oil and gas while they sit at home.... ****, get high, drink, sleep, and play video games.
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease. I'm on a strict Gluten-Free and Lactose Free diet. Gluten Free foods are VERY EXPENSIVE. I pay $5.79 for a small loaf of Udi's bread and $5.19 for Betty Crocker Gluten Free brownie mix
    these are some examples. I get very frustrated and angry with these unbelievable prices
    I say its discrimination!

It's similar to gas prices
    we have no control over it. :grumble:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Cherries
    Ah yes, forgot to mention these!

So. Damn. Worth. It.