KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options

Replies

• SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yep all sugars fault and not the fact that people ride their office chairs for 8-12 hours a day then come home and ride the couch the rest of the night, people hire landscapers or use a riding mower to mow their less than .25 acre yard, people drive their car to go 1 block down the street etc..........where is that documentary.

^^^this
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Maybe you should send me a personal message if you have issue? I didnt make outlandish claims, i expressed m,y opinion - and yes, I felt you were rude because of the personal attack, not because i couldnt "back up outlandish claims" as you put it

I was obese - and I didnt know how i got that way, neither did many of my obbese friends. We werent dumb, we werent stupid, we just didnt understand. I didnt call us, obese people, dumb.

The goverment adds sugar to food, yes, ok....so...what more do you want? I don't know what "private businesses" you are talking about??? i dont really care though so there that...

yes, i place, for me personally, sugar in the same catagorie as drugs and alcohol - sure - however you see addictive, like i said, if you look up the definition of addictive, thats how i feel about sugar, for me, personally, IMO.

Your comment about Monsanto makes no sence to me so Im not sure how to respond.... I dont know what you want me to defend. Its my opinion, like i said over and over.... I work in a lab and alter food, so, its just something of interest to me because its essentially my life...

And obviously scaring people gets their attention otherwise they wouldnt do it - this is how the news works, its a bunch of bull **** - all you have to do it watch it to see that.

Smile more - be less miserable :-)

Why should I personally message you? You made your statements here, do you not want to discuss them here? Personally I prefer educating people who might read your post as to how inaccurate it is, so others don't fall for the same lies you have.

Again, the government does not add sugar to food. Private companies make and sell food. This is a fact, it's not up for debate. You're just wrong.

I am a happy, non-miserable person. I called your beliefs dumb, because they are. Same as I would to someone who thinks the Earth is flat. You being wrong about something does not make me an unhappy, mean person.

All the name calling in the world won't make what you said right. And while I may not have held your hand and said, "Aw honey, it's ok. You go right on believing any false thing that makes you happy!" that doesn't make me mean. If anything you could probably use more people in your life who are straight and honest with you, as opposed to feeling that manipulating the facts is ok so long as it inspires some kind of change in your life.

Learn more, believe facts. :)

I got to go have a meeting with the research leader - apparently my job here doesn't actually exist! All this time... I've been driving all the way here and going through the motions for nothing - I must have been dreaming this entire time - this entire government facility is a facade, a huge holgrame, a figment of my imagination?? Who knows, Im just glad there are so many better educated people out there than I who can point out that what i do for a living is actually just a scene from the god damned movie the matrix. Im going to go eat a candy bar and see if i can fly.
    There is no reason to go off the deep end. The government does not provide food for the majority of the population, nor is what it generates from your facility the reason that many Americans are obese.

In fact, if you are making MREs, their goal is to provide incredibly calorically dense food in small quantities with a high carb load because soldiers in action don't have a lot of time to eat, and I'm sure starving to death with no energy does not make a good fighter. That said, many people active in the military who are likely to be eating MREs are usually in pretty good shape, and are not adversely affected by the sugar you are adding in your lab. Why? Because their caloric output equals or exceeds their caloric input.

And if you truly feel that you job is the downfall of the system and you are duping Americans and making them all fat, why don't you change jobs?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Media should focus on teaching moderation and portion control.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    IMO - just watched the trailer and I like it.

A. its a "documentary", the only way to get a good portion of people to actualyl WATCH something is by using scare tactics (see "any news station" for an example)

B: I'll generalize here and say that a good portion of people who are obese have no idea how they got that way, and they might need to be "scared" a little to make a change... it's a learning process, change is the first step, they will learn more and more about truths as they go (just like all of us on here ;) )

C. I, personally, think sugar is addictive, if you look up the definition of addictive - IMO

D. The trailer I watched opened to discuss that a good amount of foods have "added sugar" - I didn't feel it was attacking sugar AT ALL, but more attacking the goverment for "adding sugar' where its not necessary - I totally, 100% agree - the government does a lot of F-ed up *kitten* to get us to consume, Im not a a parent, but if I was, I think I would feel ashamed if the only way I could get my kid to drink milk was by adding nestle strawberry syrup to it.... sugar is good, sugar is great, kids can have sugar - but theres something to be said when it becomes NECESSARY to add it to foods just to get kids to eat it.... again, IMO

E. I hate, hate, hate, Monsanto and wish I knew a lot less about what's happening to our seeds than I do - these two items are unrelated, but, I like to think that this news documentary is just setting a table to get people talking about bigger issues... I mean thay have to start somewhere - why not sugar - its something everyone, regarless of "class" can relate to and everyone can afford... if that makes sence, it does in my head, not to go all conspiracy theory, but i hope Im on to something here...

To sum up your views:

1. You need to scare people to get them to pay attention. If this involves lies or deceitful manipulation that's alright.

2. You think overweight people are dumb and don't know why they're overweight. (so somehow blaming things that aren't the reason for them being overweight will help them...something)

3. You put sugar in the same category as drugs and alcohol.

4. You think the government adds sugar to the foods produced and sold by private businesses. Because... honestly I got nothing for that one. That's just really dumb.

5. Monsanto's bad, because seeds. So the government needs to stop putting sugar in the food we buy.

You desperately need to educate yourself beyond propaganda. It's made you believe in complete nonsense.

Sure buddy, thats your opinion of my views - I don't agree with your "summation", and I find your comments rude and false, but you are totally entiteled to believe what ever crap about me that you want! Smile more! Be miserable less :-)

So nothing about how government adds sugar to the foods we eat? I mean you said it, it's right there.

Nothing about obese people not being smart enough to know that eating too much has made them obese?

If you can't be bothered to defend your views, don't state them in the first place.

Is there anything more cowardly then putting forth your view on things and when challenged on them saying, "Smile more!" I'm not miserable. It's dishonest of you to infer that because unlike you I understand how food works.

"You're rude" = I can't back up the outlandish claims I make.

Maybe you should send me a personal message if you have issue? I didnt make outlandish claims, i expressed m,y opinion - and yes, I felt you were rude because of the personal attack, not because i couldnt "back up outlandish claims" as you put it

I was obese - and I didnt know how i got that way, neither did many of my obbese friends. We werent dumb, we werent stupid, we just didnt understand. I didnt call us, obese people, dumb.

The goverment adds sugar to food, yes, ok....so...what more do you want? I don't know what "private businesses" you are talking about??? i dont really care though so there that...

yes, i place, for me personally, sugar in the same catagorie as drugs and alcohol - sure - however you see addictive, like i said, if you look up the definition of addictive, thats how i feel about sugar, for me, personally, IMO.

Your comment about Monsanto makes no sence to me so Im not sure how to respond.... I dont know what you want me to defend. Its my opinion, like i said over and over.... I work in a lab and alter food, so, its just something of interest to me because its essentially my life...

And obviously scaring people gets their attention otherwise they wouldnt do it - this is how the news works, its a bunch of bull **** - all you have to do it watch it to see that.

The government doesn't produce food. Please explain how the government adds sugar to food it doesn't produce. You talked about "research" earlier in your post. If this is the conclusion you reached, then you may need to learn how to actually conduct research. Also, a major study was recently released proving once and for all that sugar is not addictive. Biased research leads to biased conclusions.

I work for the united states goverment goverment at a research facility. I make food. I grow things in petri dishes that end up in MREs and feed our military personel. So, I guess you can say that the goverment produces food.

Not sure what reserach you are refencing... again, I said IN MY OPINION sugar is addictive to ME, personally. Look up the definition of addictive - thats what sugar was for me. Not sure why so many people are having a hard time understanding this...it has nothing to do with any one other than me, though i would argue there's probably someone else on this planet that has found themselves in the same situation I was in.

Today I learned that MREs are grown in petri dishes.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They should introduce a mandatory nutrition&basic biology course like 1 hour a week or even 1/month in high schools globally. I think it would solve a lot for the future. The question is how to properly educate it, imagine a teacher following lustig's every word teaching it. The horror.

It will also remove the argument "I don't know how I got fat" from the table, I hate that excuse.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

Why should I personally message you? You made your statements here, do you not want to discuss them here? Personally I prefer educating people who might read your post as to how inaccurate it is, so others don't fall for the same lies you have.

Again, the government does not add sugar to food. Private companies make and sell food. This is a fact, it's not up for debate. You're just wrong.

I am a happy, non-miserable person. I called your beliefs dumb, because they are. Same as I would to someone who thinks the Earth is flat. You being wrong about something does not make me an unhappy, mean person.

All the name calling in the world won't make what you said right. And while I may not have held your hand and said, "Aw honey, it's ok. You go right on believing any false thing that makes you happy!" that doesn't make me mean. If anything you could probably use more people in your life who are straight and honest with you, as opposed to feeling that manipulating the facts is ok so long as it inspires some kind of change in your life.

Learn more, believe facts. :)

I got to go have a meeting with the research leader - apparently my job here doesn't actually exist! All this time... I've been driving all the way here and going through the motions for nothing - I must have been dreaming this entire time - this entire government facility is a facade, a huge holgrame, a figment of my imagination?? Who knows, Im just glad there are so many better educated people out there than I who can point out that what i do for a living is actually just a scene from the god damned movie the matrix. Im going to go eat a candy bar and see if i can fly.

At this point you're just being obtuse. You know the obesity problem in the U.S. is not caused by sugar added to MRE's. Regular citizens don't eat those and even soldiers only eat them in times of need.

Maybe you're ok with misrepresenting facts to make a point. I'm not. I find it to be intellectually dishonest.
    you literally did the exact same thing with your first response the hers. not to mention you have yet to counter-argue any statements made against said first post, probably because it was showing how ignorant it was
  • auddii
    Options

That would work, but it would involve personal responsibility.

People don't like that. They want someone to blame. They want excuses as to why it's not their fault.

So this nonsense sells. And that's what's more important to some people.

I prefer to go with what works. Because I'm not going to mislead people to make some cash.
    Very true. Personal responsibility is so difficult to implement for many things. Look at the lawsuits running rampant in this country. Nothing is our fault, and not only that, I have pain and suffering from what someone else did to me.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry...I will never give up sugar. I lost 129 pounds having a little sugar everyday to quiet my sweet tooth. All things in moderation, balance works for me.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore programs like these and do my own research. Unfortunately, most of America sits on their couches and devours every single thing the media hands them and so the next big thing will be sugar because no one can think for themselves or research for themselves.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with any view point that removes the responsibility from the person and onto something else. Like processed sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc... The food in bad quantities doesn't just jump into your mouth, you put it in there.

Fat people wouldn't be fat if they learned moderation. And that goes for this guy. That's the # 1 struggle for me.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Lordy! If folks would get off their high horse, it doesn't take a PhD to figure out that there are huge problems with ADDED sugars to processed foods. For those who feel that fat is the problem, too, you're right. Added fats to processed foods is a problem, but this documentary is about sugar. The problem with added fats, added sugars, and high amounts of sodium in the United States is a cultural issue. Fix the culture; fix the problem.

I can buy a one-pound bag of sugar, and it can sit around my house for a year, unless I bake. I don't use that much salt. My main problem is that I like food too much, so I have to be careful about the amount of calories I take in, vs the amount of exercise I do to burn said calories. That is a matter of personal responsibility. I do buy cookies, and I will have one for dessert.

I have a grandson who is obese. His mother will pack him a 1000-calorie lunch for school, and what she packs for him is crap. He is 10 years old, and if it isn't a corn dog, french fries, ketchup, cheese pizza, candy, or ice cream, he won't eat it. The last time he was probably fed vegetables was in his baby food. This kind of stuff makes me want to weep, because unless something changes, it's not going to get any better for him.
  • auddii
    Options
    I have a problem with any view point that removes the responsibility from the person and onto something else. Like processed sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc... The food in bad quantities doesn't just jump into your mouth, you put it in there.

Fat people wouldn't be fat if they learned moderation. And that goes for this guy. That's the # 1 struggle for me.
    This is why all the "sabotage" threads in the motivation section bother me. I've never seen anyone shove food in their co-workers/family members mouth, and then hold their mouth and nose closed until they swallow. But it's so much easier to say someone else is not respecting your diet and goals than to say that you don't care enough about your goals to put the cookie down (or find a way to fit it in your daily goal).
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    OoooOo... Just posted this yesterday on this thread - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1286392-thermodynamic-vs-metabolic-hormonal-the-value-of-a-calorie

Fed Up?

QUOTE:

May 9, 2014

Katie Couric: Drug Dealer?

Today is the day the nation’s food police have been waiting for: the day Fed Up, a film calling for government control over the food supply, is available in theaters across the United States. Pre-screenings of the film let us know that sugar is compared to illegal drugs to make it seem addictive. And when we saw the film the other night, we weren’t surprised to see Robert Lustig, a propagandist who has called for ABC-style regulations on sugar, given air time.

So if sugar is really a larger-granule form of cocaine, then isn’t journalist Katie Couric, the film’s producer and narrator, a drug dealer? According to her social media pages, Couric has no problem dealing purportedly addictive substances like crack-cookies and dope-donuts to vulnerable populations like children and grandmothers.

A quick glance at Couric’s Facebook page reveals that she is a strong supporter of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, as she writes, “Personally, I’m grateful that Ding-Dongs [sic] will still be available for purchase.” But Couric’s drug-pushing doesn’t stop there as she deals “dangerous” sugar to her daughter’s history class in the form of ginger cookies. She even gave a chocolate-filled donut to a young girl in her audience which, for all we know, established a “crushing dependency” that has sent this child to a crème-filled version of a methadone clinic.

Not even grandmothers are safe from Couric’s insistence that others join her in her “addiction” as she gave her mother a cake for her 91st birthday.

The habit even led Couric to promote recipes that include lime gelatin (24 grams of sugar per serving) and cupcakes that, with frosting, contain almost 95 grams of sugar each.

It seems Couric doesn’t really believe sugar to be as dangerous as her new film would have you believe. On the one hand, it’s typical elitism — the idea of “sugar for me, but not for thee,” placing Miss Couric above the plebeians who need the government to help them eat.

On the other hand, it shows that the old advice of moderation and personal responsibility still rings true. We need look no further than the hypocrites trying to destroy these notions.

But while Couric continues to peddle food hysteria, let’s enjoy some pictures of what Cocaine Katie pushes in her free time. It all looks quite delicious—in moderation, of course.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2014/05/katie-couric-drug-dealer/
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a grandson who is obese. His mother will pack him a 1000-calorie lunch for school, and what she packs for him is crap. He is 10 years old, and if it isn't a corn dog, french fries, ketchup, cheese pizza, candy, or ice cream, he won't eat it. The last time he was probably fed vegetables was in his baby food. This kind of stuff makes me want to weep, because unless something changes, it's not going to get any better for him.

That's not a sugar problem, it's a parenting problem. Again blaming companies and their evil sugar for something people need to take responsibility for themselves.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old child that is completely and disturbingly addicted to sugar. She even knows she's addicted too it, and has been actively taking steps to cut back on it. I have a vivid memory of her coming home from school one day with literally a trash bag full of candy. It turns out there was some leftover from a school party and she asked if she could take it home.

She has three sets of grandparents, a dad and a step-mom. It is not even remotely abnormal for her to be walking around eating a box of Lofthouse cookies (her favorite) or a dozen mini-cupcakes (her other favorite.) Or a plate of a dozen home-made cookies that step-mom and her made together.

I work full-time, so I can make sure she eats a balanced dinner, but as for what she's eating in school and with other family members, and when she is taking her own money and buying sugary treats with them while I'm still at work I have a hard time controlling it. The other family members have good intentions, to them cupcakes are food, and they are just feeding their angel. Dad and her love to eat M&M's and pop-corn for dinner. I'm not even joking here. This is despite my pleas to introduce balance, but these people weigh maybe 300+ apiece, they truly don't understand.

I agree with other MFP posters that sugar is not a huge deal for us because we use moderation and are aware of what we're eating, but we are not representative of the norm.
  • sassyjae21
    Options

That would work, but it would involve personal responsibility.

People don't like that. They want someone to blame. They want excuses as to why it's not their fault.

So this nonsense sells. And that's what's more important to some people.

I prefer to go with what works. Because I'm not going to mislead people to make some cash.
    Very true. Personal responsibility is so difficult to implement for many things. Look at the lawsuits running rampant in this country. Nothing is our fault, and not only that, I have pain and suffering from what someone else did to me.

Yea. It sucks.

I believe that giving people the FACTS and then letting them make their own decisions based on those facts is the way to go. But you guys are right, they wouldn't have much of a story if they did that.

I get how some foods trigger emotional responses from people and I also get how that can be hard to break through.

But in the end, only you are responsible for what goes in your mouth. There are a lot of factors that play into this, but it is important to educate people on the FACTS. Not demonizing one particular food. Because sugar is just not to blame for obesity. Too much sugar? Too much food? Too many calories? Definitely yes.

Until then, I really don't want to hear the media complaining about the obesity epidemic. When you give misinformation, what do you expect?
  • sassyjae21
    Options

That's not a sugar problem, it's a parenting problem. Again blaming companies and their evil sugar for something people need to take responsibility for themselves.

Yea, that is pretty much awful. I hate seeing obese children. Obese adults are one thing; they are responsible for their choices. Children often times are not, and do not know any better.