Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options
I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, their health, their genetics and a million other factors.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    For me, it is time consuming. Weighing and measuring food and making time to carefully prep meals and plan ahead has taken away some of my free time; however, it is time I am happy to give. I think your outlook depends upon your priorities and if you are truly ready to being the journey. And I do consider it to be a journey. I'm learning and growing as a person every day, and I'm so much more in tune with my body than I have been in years. I feel better, and the accountability has done wonders for me. Logging my food, seeing those good choices--it all helps me to stick with the plan. Then again, I try to eat my calories and I enjoy myself. Last night I had a bit of dark chocolate with sea salt and caramel. It was WAY less than I would have had before, but I enjoyed every bite. So, I guess it depends upon your outlook and if you are being reasonable with your weight loss goals.
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult for some people to eat only what they burn, and therefore much more difficult to eat at a deficit. Why do you think there are so many overweight folks? Food addiction is a real problem for some. Glad you have no issues though.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

.....you're 18.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    You're right, losing weight isn't complicated - exercise and eat less than you're burning. But putting it into practice isn't always easy.

That's great that you haven't had to face challenges, but I believe you are the exception, not the rule :smile: Some people aren't ready to fully commit or there could be health issues that cause them to stall. Sometimes life gets in the way (stress, jobs, kids, etc) and sometimes (this is me) people just really like junk food and over eat :laugh:
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You're right, losing weight isn't complicated - exercise and eat less than you're burning. But putting it into practice isn't always easy.

That's great that you haven't had to face challenges, but I believe you are the exception, not the rule :smile: Some people aren't ready to fully commit or there could be health issues that cause them to stall. Sometimes life gets in the way (stress, jobs, kids, etc) and sometimes (this is me) people just really like junk food and over eat :laugh:

I think that finding time for exercise is the most complicated aspect (for me). With two kids and a full time job, I have trouble working exercise into the day on a regular basis. It is something I hope to remedy in time.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Please. At 18 I could eat 5-6 large meals a day and not gain weight. Eyes on your own paper, bud, and be grateful for what you have now.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

wizards-of-yep.gif
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Best thought on this topic i ever heard was:

weight loss is simple but it ain't easy.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are no single mold for losing wight everyone is different
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This horse is soooooooo high.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle, stress level, amount to lose, hormones, diet, activity level, age, genetic makeup, allergies, etc all are huge factors.

Consider yourself lucky you have been able to progress so quickly. I lost almost 8lbs in April but barely 2 so far in May, so it's slowing for me a bit. What's changed? My job, mostly- now working 5:30am to 7pm 5 or 6 days per week will do that to you (plus half hour commute there and back). When I get home, the last thing I'll want to do is cook for myself or work out (esp after running around at work for 3+ hours of my work day).

Congrats to you on your progress, but honestly, it's not that easy for most with busy schedules, kids, work/travel commitments, etc
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits
    Don't have time to have a healthy breakfast or lunch?
    Make it the night before and en masse
    Don't have time to exercise?
    Go for walks around the office or workplace if you have the chance
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.
  • glickman1
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.
    Calories in<Calories out

Done.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits

You asked about challenges. Examples were given. No one said those challenges preclude success.

The troll is strong with this one.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Try doing it with hashimotos and tell me how easy it is.
  • glickman1
    Options

You asked about challenges. Examples were given. No one said those challenges preclude success.

The troll is strong with this one.
    Those aren't challenges, those are excuses
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever even needed to lose weight, it was extremely easy. I cut back on calories, exercised more and the weight melted off.

Then due do changes in BC (hormones) and who knows what else, I gained almost all of it back and no matter what I do this time, it won't come off.

So, yeah, sometimes it really and truly is hard.

ETA: I am not the least surprised that an 18-year-old man is having an easy time. Not because of responsibilities or time constraints but because of basic biological facts. I wasn't even overweight until I was almost 30 and I ate whatever I wanted and barely exercised. And I'm female. Men have more muscle and less fat, generally, and that helps a lot.
This discussion has been closed.