rejected by online soulmate b/c of weight

Options

Replies

• milyba
    milyba Posts: 49
    Options
    Ever thought that it's not you, and he's married/ relationship?
    Or how can you not know your weight? 40 pounds is not that much difference especially If you were already heavy?
    Something's not adding up..be grateful you don't have any ties walk away
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This really sucks, but honestly? You dodged a bullet.
    This.

+2

Online dating can work; my bf and I are testament to that. But it's a good idea to meet as soon as possible because talking online or by phone, even with video chat, is just not the same. You cannot get a true sense of chemistry without meeting in person, and it's better to know ASAP -- before you've wasted a lot of time and invested a lot of emotion -- whether you're really compatible.

I don't want to demonize the young man. If the chemistry wasn't there for him, regardless of the reason, then at least he had the guts to say so instead of dragging things out. And it sounds like he really put some thought into it and struggled with his feelings before he made that decision. It just sucks that the two of you let things go as far as you did before you met, and hopefully that won't be a scenario you repeat.

Meanwhile, you are not a drive-thru window. Nobody can place an order and have you their way...if they require you to change in order to be with them, then they clearly don't deserve you. Try to stop thinking of relationships as something that you have to earn by changing or being less than yourself. That's not a real relationship. In a real relationship, the man will be just as eager to impress and please you as you are with him...or even more so. He'll work to earn your affection, even as you're working to earn his. If you're not on the same page, and he's not just as obviously smitten as you are, then you're probably better off cutting your losses and moving on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Its not his fault he isn't attracted to you. Its not a decision we get to make.

But still...to hell with him. Find someone who's really into you.

Yeah. This. Sorry.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you are going through. I can't say I've had all that happen to me before, but I have def. been there in terms of feelings for someone met online. It doesn't matter if he is an *kitten* not an *kitten*, whatever it is, because the hurt feelings and the way YOU feel isn't something you can change. So it hurts, even if someone doesn't deserve it, you can't help feel how you do and I know that can hurt SO MUCH.

So in short I mean, regardless of the circumstances, I'm sorry your are hurting, the pain hurts just as much regardless of fault, reasons, situations. Hurt is hurt.

So, sorry. I hope you can get through it.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    hi everyone

i cant think straight right now but here is the story that leads up to my issue... i met this guy several months online while i wasn't looking for anyone or anything. back then, i was fit (running everyday, yoga, etc.) and confident, really content with myself but due to circumstances in my life, i was unable to see him. we continued talking for months, falling deeper and deeper into one another. it reached a point where we were talking marriage, and i never felt this way for anyone. our emotional and mental bond was beyond anything i imagined or dreamed of in another human being. i am still deeply in love and i feel i'd do anything for this man, also love him despite all his flaws. he promised and reassured me the same thing, we had open communication through-out the relationship and he swore he wouldn't hurt me, and always be with me through the worst. Well, i ended up moving about four hours away and got sick, therefore gained some odd 40 pounds within a few months. he kept pressing on for meeting yet at this point i was making excuses so i wouldn't have to see him like this, for i stopped being happy with myself. i finally got the medical attention my condition needed and i am confident in losing the weight within the next few months. however, i decided to meet him anyway because i truly believed he would accept me no matter what, considering this would be "me at my worst".

so despite feeling ill about it and kinda having a bad feeling, we met. it seemed fine at first but then over the night he started getting cold. eventually he said he needed to go home because he wasn't feeling well (he drove four hours to see me). i ended up pressing him because i knew it was something else. he admitted it being my physical appearance, which i fully knew. however, i wasnt prepared how hard it would hit me. i ended up bawling for two hours while he hugged me and said he needed time to think when i asked him if he loved me. he called me a "beautiful person" while i said "not beautiful enough for you", and other things like "i think it's going to be okay", "i think i love you" (note: we had been saying we loved each other for months and when he first stepped into the room, he said he loved me). then after two hours of us sitting in the dark with me crying, he left.

i didn't sleep the entire night and i feel numb, empty like a shell. he said he would continue talking to me. i told him i'd "fix" myself and change, learn to love myself again and be the happy, fit me again. however, i don't know what to do now. i feel conflicted and sick, my heart hurts, my head hurts, everything makes me cry. when he said he would love me unconditionally, i believed it. i haven't been this hurt in seven years, and it stings more then any other "relationship" i've been in. while online relationships seem sketchy and unrealistic, our connection was unprecedented. until he saw me, that is. We have communicated recently and decided to keep talking, but it's clear as day that he wants nothing more then friends... if i can even manage that.

Now, from an objective point of view should i look at this as motivation to lose/a giant reality check? I'm not sure if this is the case, if i have been delusional about my body. I don't think I know how big i am, I know I'm overweight but I don't feel "fat". When I work out, I have intense stamina and power. I don't feel like dying exercising and no one has previously rejected me based on weight. Yet, evidence proves otherwise (scale, rejection). I'm devastated and know that fantasy became reality, and reality sucked. I am wondering, should I get myself "fixed" and try for this guy again? It feels like nothing will get better at the moment, like i'm spiraling down a hole and my heart is permanently broken. please. no judgements, thank you.

I had a relationship that started on line. i moved 1000 miles to be with the guy. Never again.

What you don't know about the other person you sort of 'fill in' in your mind, and you fill it in as normal, or like you. It never occurs to you that it is going to be anything else. So there is an enormous base layer of assumption.

The reality hits only when you meet physically. There's a huge fill in the gaps bit.

I think also that a woman, being less focused on physical issues, is capable of gaining more emotional bonding without the physical. I don't think these men bond. they just spout the isms that you want to hear, and it's so easy for them to do this - and they they keep you on a rope until they decide to choose you, or not.

You are lucky, if you knew it. you haven't blown your life's savings going to live with some jerk who bullied you. Someone who was going to die without you but is now miraculously still alive...

your heartbreak is real. it's very cruel. I've been there, my heart broken, unable to afford to pay to get my things home, stuck in a hell job for over a year till I could get home again.

ultimately you have to ask yourself if you are worth something, the answer being 'yes' by the way, and then say 'he didn't see it, he didn't want it, he is what he is' and let go and move on. Very painful. I am not 100% convinced that I will ever go near a man ever again, I think they are all fundamentally selfish big steaming piles of ****.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Now that's just sad.

I'm so sorry that your heart hurts. But it's so much better to find out these things right away instead of later on.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'd think twice about someone that left in the middle of the night to drive four hours home. Sounds like he had someone waiting for/expecting him.

That said, I am sorry you were hurt. :frown:

I sometimes watch the show "Catfish" and reading these posts have me thinking...maybe he met because he wanted to see which was the better deal...this person or someone at "home" or elsewhere.
    If they've never seen each other how does she know if it was him for sure and not someone stepping in for him to "check her out" to give the thumbs up or down sign?
    Was he "perfect"...weight, complexion, good breath, great teeth, built/toned body...unless he was a mannequin, probably not!
    People will say the most off the wall things when they want a way out..."it's not you, its me" :noway:
    I'm sure we've all have heard or been given a line sometime or another in our lives, unfortunately its an easy slimy way out.
    Better yourself for You because that will make You happy.
    You probably know the best revenge is to look & feel better for yourself and for him to know he gets NONE of that!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's an *kitten* at all, people can't help what they are and are not attracted to. I'm sure he wishes the situation was different too. After all, he's invested just as much time and emotion as you have. It isn't anyone's fault, least of all yours.

A lot of the time when people haven't met in person they tend to form an idealized view of the person that isn't based in reality. Don't feel bad about the situation, you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to apologize for. Do things that make you feel great about yourself and the right person will come along.

+1 - Aim to meet earlier next time.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    He sounds like an *kitten*. I'm sorry, I know that's a judgment, but really - he couldn't even hang around for the evening? Over 40 pounds? What on earth is that kind of a person going to be like in an actual, human, messy, difficult everyday relationship? They sound like the person who would scram over the slightest difference from their expectation. Frankly, you're well rid of him.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

My dream was to hear him say that he loved me. And now he has. He told me, "Deep down I always knew you were the one. But you were just too big."

Oh hunny no.... Really?
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Ditch and move on - you are free and ready to for next . He does not deserve you
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    " reading bwtween the lines", a. Good dose of common sense and being " level headed" makes you make wise choices.
  • everythingworthy2468
    Options
    He sounds like an *kitten*. I'm sorry, I know that's a judgment, but really - he couldn't even hang around for the evening? Over 40 pounds? What on earth is that kind of a person going to be like in an actual, human, messy, difficult everyday relationship? They sound like the person who would scram over the slightest difference from their expectation. Frankly, you're well rid of him.

thank you for your words of encouragement. i understand that, there are a lot of factors at play. its difficult to feel like anything could get better and waking up everyday with the cold, stark realization that it was all just a scam. i feel betrayed and played, he constantly promised and assured me that he would be with me through all the bad and good. now it's just an emptiness. i know he doesn't have anyone at home, i know he was honest in his feelings. but meeting me really skewed his perception, i know it did and i feel like maybe he feels deceived or betrayed. it's hard for either one of us to communicate emotions or put ourselves out there. i know he is capable of serious relationships. i just don't know if he is capable of actually loving someone on a deeper level and realistic level. it's sad and im finding it so difficult to move on, i just can't believe it went from 100 to 0 within hours. i feel like i fell from a cliff and survived, but left broken and he doesn't seem to care about how i feel anymore.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it was Maya Angelou who said, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

I will add my own corollary, which is that if a guy says anything to the effect that they don't deserve you, aren't good enough for you , or that you shouldn't be with them, they are telling you the absolute truth and you should let them go.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

thank you for your words of encouragement. i understand that, there are a lot of factors at play. its difficult to feel like anything could get better and waking up everyday with the cold, stark realization that it was all just a scam. i feel betrayed and played, he constantly promised and assured me that he would be with me through all the bad and good. now it's just an emptiness. i know he doesn't have anyone at home, i know he was honest in his feelings. but meeting me really skewed his perception, i know it did and i feel like maybe he feels deceived or betrayed. it's hard for either one of us to communicate emotions or put ourselves out there. i know he is capable of serious relationships. i just don't know if he is capable of actually loving someone on a deeper level and realistic level. it's sad and im finding it so difficult to move on, i just can't believe it went from 100 to 0 within hours. i feel like i fell from a cliff and survived, but left broken and he doesn't seem to care about how i feel anymore.

You'll make it through. After all, you chose to reach out and talk about it instead of retreating into those difficult feelings - that's brave, it shows a fighting spirit.

The fact that he couldn't even behave like a good friend should have shows that he's better out of your life than in it. I know it sounds harsh, but it's better to find out now that later, as others have pointed out. Someone that easy to shake, that easy to scram, would not be able to cope with the resilience needed for a real life with another person, the kind of love, patience and decency people need to take of each other, especially for family.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    He was not your soul mate if he was he wouldn't be such a prat :)
  • Tiki1978
    Tiki1978 Posts: 364
    Options
    This guy is so many shades of *kitten*. The fact you are saying you will change for him to make him happy, is gross. Do it for you. Hes going to run anyways, looks like he is on his way out. you are seeing his true colors.Get back to your life, lose weight and be happy that you missed out on a total mess. Everything happens for a reason,
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh Sweetie, file this with all of your other life lessons. We hurt sometimes and then we're joyous.

I met my sweet husband online and while I was dating before meeting him I made certain to get to the meeting in real life as quickly as possible. Because of what many others have said so smartly here on this thread!

There is no way to know if a connection, on either part, is real until you are in the presence of that person and look into their eyes and everything else that comes along with it. Chemistry is a wondrous thing! It's also uncontrollable.

You've had a blow, but now you can open your heart to a new experience. Hugs to you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this kind of thing probably makes a great story line for "Dawson's Creek" or teen drama but in the real world it seems, well, a bit childish.

You weren't in love with each other or were not soul mates clearly. You loved the idea of each other rather than the reality. He wasn't physically attracted to you. All that really happened here is it took longer to find out than if you had met in real life from the off. You had created a reality in your mind that simply did not exist.

I know it probably sucks and it hurts but really it's not the end of the world. Decide what you want to do with your weight and do it.

There are plenty more amazing men out there which you can get to know when you are ready to do so.