What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• DasaWhite924
    DasaWhite924 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gluten sensitivity is real. No.. its not in my mind. I can eat gluten w/out anyone telling me there is, and I will break out within mins.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, I am assuming that you avoid taco bell or protein if that is what those food do to you. Either that or you avoid social interaction due to your foul small. I, on the other hand, avoid gluten. Seems like common sense to me.

Yes, I avoid protein because it makes my farts stink. That seems logical.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not celiac but I can prove that I am gluten sensitive but the foul smelling gas that is emitted from my bowels when I eat gluten .... take my word for it or come visit after a cheat ... your choice :-)

I must be broccoli intolerant!! Cause peeee uuuuu. Doesn't stop me from eating it!
  • vanillaminus
    vanillaminus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    in for fun
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think you mean gluten allergy doesn't exist but the sensitivity definitely does.*

Probably this.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Bacon. The answer to all of life's problems.

Funniest_Memes_low-carb-and-gluten-free-salad_19583.jpeg
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Betcha didn't know lots of bacon has gluten used in preparation... :wink:
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant means that you can't digest lactose. The result is foul smelling gas, loose bowel movements, vomiting, etc. If gluten produces the same symptoms, you would naturally consider yourself to be gluten intolerant. Seems like a simple conclusion.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Betcha I don't care. I LURV gluten!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Well, I am assuming that you avoid taco bell or protein if that is what those food do to you. Either that or you avoid social interaction due to your foul small. I, on the other hand, avoid gluten. Seems like common sense to me.

Avoid Taco Bell? Avoid PROTEIN? Uh...no!

...who avoids protein? Crazy talk.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First of all, you probably shouldn't say an issue many people are dealing with doesn't exist. You may really upset some people. Also, this article is stupid because it says "science-it works" at the end but nothing in this article cited science. The subjects were "self-identified" as gluten insensitive. Also they cycled through high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten meals blindly and their urine and stools were monitored for 9 days? Any gluten sensitive (professionally diagnosed) or celiac will tell you that 9 days is not long enough to get an accurate result. To have the tolerance testing you have to have had gluten in your diet for several weeks (at least).The urine and stool testing will only show proteins, ketones and malabsorbtion/malnourishment. If someone thinks they have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant they should see their doctor and not rely on a study published on Business Insider.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so in, this is gonna be good.

I'm with you on that one. Hello entertainment for the next day or so!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    21jn66u.jpg

25qsxsi.jpg

No correlation between gluten intake and symptoms at all.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Betcha I don't care. I LURV gluten!

wtf kinda bacon do you eat? None of the bacon I've ever bought had gluten in it...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    in for bacon ....
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "BACKGROUND & AIMS:

Patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) do not have celiac disease but their symptoms improve when they are placed on gluten-free diets. We investigated the specific effects of gluten after dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates (fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols [FODMAPs]) in subjects believed to have NCGS."

My understanding of this is to test the effects of a low FODMAP diet in subjects believed to be NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitive). To me, this says nothing of dispelling the idea of NCGS's existence.
    ...we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs.
    I read this as saying that there is no evidence of gluten effects in patients put on a low FODMAP diet.
    In all participants, gastrointestinal symptoms consistently and significantly improved during reduced FODMAP intake, but significantly worsened to a similar degree when their diets included gluten or whey protein.
    Gluten-specific gastrointestinal effects were not reproduced.

This is confusing to me. On one hand they say gluten increased symptoms, on the other they say they couldn't reproduce effects?
    Coincidentally, some of the largest dietary sources of FODMAPs -- specifically bread products -- are removed when adopting a gluten-free diet, which could explain why the millions of people worldwide who swear by gluten-free diets feel better after going gluten-free.

This makes perfect sense to me. Having confirmed IBS, and a low FODMAP diet allegedly reducing IBS symptoms, it makes complete sense that removing gluten and starches from my diet improves my symptoms drastically without having either NCGS nor a wheat allergy.

I'll remain on the fence about this one until more double-blind studies come out; about either NCGS or FODMAPs.
  • l3long
    Options
    They also wonder why participants still experienced distress when both gluten and FODMAPS were removed but many gluten sensitive people will tell you that once their system is aggravated by gluten, it takes time for it to return to normal even if gluten is removed. For me, it usually takes 3-4 days of gluten free eating to recover after having eaten gluten.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me, it usually takes 3-4 days of gluten free eating to recover after having eaten gluten.

If I eat starchy/gluten-y foods once a week I never recover fully enough to tolerate large amounts of food. If I really trigger my IBS symptoms it can take at least a week to get under control - a week of very strict liquid dieting. The first time I went gluten/FODMAP-free it took weeks to feel fully normal.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • l3long
    Options
    For me, it usually takes 3-4 days of gluten free eating to recover after having eaten gluten.

If I eat starchy/gluten-y foods once a week I never recover fully enough to tolerate large amounts of food. If I really trigger my IBS symptoms it can take at least a week to get under control - a week of very strict liquid dieting. The first time I went gluten/FODMAP-free it took weeks to feel fully normal.

I can certainly believe this. My symptoms are milder than yours and therefore I recover faster.

When I first suspected a food sensitivity, I eliminated all possible trigger foods for 3 weeks before slowly adding them back in one at a time. When I reacted to a food, I eliminated it again and gave myself a week without it before trying to add something new in again. It took a very long time to test everything but it also provided me with very good evidence of what foods bother my digestive system. No, I have not had a biopsy or blood test but I have thoroughly tested myself and I know what I can and cannot comfortably eat. That is good enough for me. Gluten and dairy are my trigger foods. Life is so much more enjoyable when I avoid these why would ever consider going back?