What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Almost all bacon is gluten free. The only bacon or bacon bits that contain gluten are cheap crap with fillers. But it doesn't matter unless you have Celiac disease, except that it's a shame to eat crap bacon.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Almost all bacon is gluten free. The only bacon or bacon bits that contain gluten are cheap crap with fillers. But it doesn't matter unless you have Celiac disease, except that it's a shame to eat crap bacon.

Processed meats like sausages often have fillers, but for bacon it's actually the smoke flavouring that contains the gluten; because they're not actually smoking it, they're adding a liquid that is suppose to taste like smoke. Most bacon contains "smoke".
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Not all liquid smoke has gluten.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Here we go… another person who tries to tell others that their physical symptoms aren't real.

Do you have Celiacs?

No. I have Crohn's and insulin resistance. Both of which require me to eat gluten free as gluten exacerbates the symptoms of Crohn's and insulin resistance.

Having Crohn's has nothing to do with gluten, nor has gluten been shown to exacerbate it.

Unlike the gluten-free diet for celiac sprue, which has a well-researched basis, and well-demonstrated track record for affecting the underlying mechanisms at work in the disease process, the SCD does not. Bottom line: it may be worth a try (there are plenty of other diets being touted in the marketplace), but do not abandon your conventional treatment, and keep in touch with your doctor.

http://www.ccfa.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html

As for insulin resistance and gluten, I can find zero research that shows going gluten-free helps PCOS symptoms.

You are free to your opinions, but not free to make up facts and state them as such.

I really don't care what you have to say or what research you're able to find or not find. You are not a doctor. All of my doctors told me gluten can exacerbate Crohn's and insulin resistance. That is why I eat gluten free.

P.s. You might want to do better research.

Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599

Although not all patients respond equally to diet, many simply remove symptom-provoking foods, such as dairy, wheat, corn and certain fruits and vegetables.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20350266

How many of the foods you listed contain gluten?

How many contain FODMAPs?
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not all liquid smoke has gluten.

Yet because they rarely specify whether or not the smoke used has gluten, Celiacs need to treat it as though it does contain gluten. Just like maltodextrin, just like "spices", etc etc etc. Not all those ingredients will contain gluten, yet rarely do they specify. Therefore, all smoke, maltodextrin, "flavour", "spices" et al need to be treated as though it contains gluten. After many months of having to inspect every last ingredient on a list I got use to saying "it's got gluten" whenever I saw any of the suspect ingredients.

Edit:
    How many of the foods you listed contain gluten?

How many contain FODMAPs

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I won't completely disregard my diagnosis but I also will not completely disregard this study.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It doesn't exist.

This has been proven by the researchers who originally provided evidence of its existence. Their followup research shows that there is no such thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5
    Yep....that's why people who have celiac disease must eliminate all gluten from their diet in order to be relieved of their symptoms. If they continue to eat gluten, their symptoms worsen and celiac disease progresses, which can be life threatening.

That article comes across as pretty biased.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    businessinsider.com?

I guess gluten sensitivity is big business now, huh?
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    These threads always remind me of that scene from House, M.D. where Dr. Wilson tells Cuddy's mother that the whole "sugar-makes-kids-hyperactive-thing" is a myth and says "there's a study", to which she responds "I'm sure it's very interesting. I didn't read any studies. I just raised children."
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In. Just in case it keeps going...cause it's fun! :laugh:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    These threads always remind me of that scene from House, M.D. where Dr. Wilson tells Cuddy's mother that the whole "sugar-makes-kids-hyperactive-thing" is a myth and says "there's a study", to which she responds "I'm sure it's very interesting. I didn't read any studies. I just raised children."

That is a legit study that's been repeated multiple times and is true though. Parents just perceive their children to be hyperactive when they were told they ingested sugar, regardless of if they actually had or not.

But I get your point.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Soo what i took from the original article is that they are arguing the accuracy of self diagnosis as the problem, not a whole lot of concrete evidence to support whether the sensitivity itself exists or not. Just a bunch of manipulation of words by mainstream media. 147 completed the survey. 62% actually had celiac disease and the majority of the rest just seemed like a process of elimination because they didn't meet the proper criteria to be apart of the experiment.

Not to mention an experiment done on 147 people (130 of which are female) and all from Melbourne, Australia.... IMO the trial size is too small, lacks randomization and the majority of the subjects are considered not fit for the study, so it's not 100% valid in my books. I do agree that some self diagnosed gluten sensitivities may actually be caused by allergies or diseases other than gluten, but i don't know if i can agree that the sensitivities don't exist at all. Considering the symptoms i experience, I'm definitely not touching it. Of course because science can't test for it yet it'll probably go back and forth for a while until it can be proved either way. Sort of like she "proved" it one way for so many years and now is trying to take it back.

The body is amazing thing! Far beyond our understanding in many ways that's for sure. Has anyone found any additional peer reviewed articles on this topic ooor?
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    Well, I am not celiac but I can prove that I am gluten sensitive but the foul smelling gas that is emitted from my bowels when I eat gluten .... take my word for it or come visit after a cheat ... your choice :-)

there is no bigger source of anger, stress and frustration in m line of work than dealing with people who agree with you, if that is the case i am sensitive to everything and anything based on the smell i emit when i flatulate as well
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    I assume that by reading an article you think you know the real truth.....but walking in the shoes of those of us with a real, live in the trenches experience and knowledge is another matter. I don't have to wonder if it is real. I live it each day.

that may be the case but you're still wrong
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    hrzfab.gif
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    First of all, you probably shouldn't say an issue many people are dealing with doesn't exist. You may really upset some people. Also, this article is stupid because it says "science-it works" at the end but nothing in this article cited science. The subjects were "self-identified" as gluten insensitive. Also they cycled through high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten meals blindly and their urine and stools were monitored for 9 days? Any gluten sensitive (professionally diagnosed) or celiac will tell you that 9 days is not long enough to get an accurate result. To have the tolerance testing you have to have had gluten in your diet for several weeks (at least).The urine and stool testing will only show proteins, ketones and malabsorbtion/malnourishment. If someone thinks they have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant they should see their doctor and not rely on a study published on Business Insider.

if i may let me stop you in your tracks, people who assume they are celiacs or are self diagnosed as gluten sensitive are the exact same people who sit in a restaurant, complain about not having enough gluten free options and frown about it over a pint of beer, in the end its people just being people and finding the need to feel "special"

i see this everyday and have seen it for almost 10 years, the worst are vegans and vegetarians but people alleging to be gluten or dairy sensitive are just as bad, considering they will eat gelato after drinking a beer

(to clarity beer has gluten, yet these people drink it right in front of me after alleging to be "gluten free"

to quote one of my favorite tv characters

"people are *kitten* coated *kitten* with *kitten* filling"

it has less to do with allergies and sensitivities and more with people feeling the need to be jerks and special

trust me i'm right, i see this every single day and it has become a source of entertainment for me so in the end to quote the joker

"thats why i'm always smiling"

:)
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    It doesn't exist.

This has been proven by the researchers who originally provided evidence of its existence. Their followup research shows that there is no such thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5

My Doctors and my body will have to disagree with you and the writer on this one....and I too invite all brave Souls to come our house for the 'fallout' if said gluten is consumed. :explode: :blushing:

i'll refer you to my previous post, this is getting to easy and entertaining for me
  • TheGreatBeyond
    Options
    Selective science and hypochondria are fun combos...

"Science is wrong because <insert anecdotal observation>
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    I have found all of these articles that are suddenly coming out very interesting...because about 2 years ago, my (then) 14-year-old daughter started becoming very sick a lot of time time - bloating, diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, etc. Over the course of those 2 years, we had her tested for everything under the sun - infections, parasites, allergies, etc. and everything came out negative.

I tried to eliminate various things in her diet one by one - processed foods, dairy, high fructose corn syrup - all to no avail - but I did NOT want to eliminate gluten because I knew it would be HARD and I just didn't want to do it.

However, finally, after things escalated to the point where she was down to 96 pounds and I was literally scraping her off the floor every day after she violently threw up and I actually was afraid she would die of malnutrition, we took gluten out of her diet.

And she got better.

I can't believe this is all in her head. But every test says she does not have celiac or an allergy. What gives?

could it be that her diet vastly improved not because gluten was cut out of her diet but because other variables changed in her diet as well?
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    Selective science and hypochondria are fun combos...

"Science is wrong because <insert anecdotal observation>

its like trying to debate climate change with these people sometimes
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    Lactose intolerant means that you can't digest lactose. The result is foul smelling gas, loose bowel movements, vomiting, etc. If gluten produces the same symptoms, you would naturally consider yourself to be gluten intolerant. Seems like a simple conclusion.

I agree. I am lactose intolerant, but apparently not to gluten, and people who have issues with gluten complain about similar symptoms to mine.

Also, many people who don't eat gluten don't even know what gluten is. They're just following along with everyone else because it's cool. Like the cottage cheese diet in the 60s....or Atkins.

Not eating gluten is cool? That's funny… I beg to differ. I'd love to eat bread and pasta and cookies and muffins but I can't.

MOST people don't eat gluten free for the hell of it. MOST people who eat gluten free do it because they have a legitimate medical reason to… whether it's Celiac, Crohn's, insulin resistance, PCOS, diabetes, etc.

The people who eat gluten free because they think it causes weight loss… well, that's just silly obviously. Those are also the people who start eating gluten again faster than they stopped because they realize how big of a lifestyle change it is.

i will have to disagree with you in part

most people choose to be gluten free because it makes them feel special, its just people being jerks in general, its a part of who we are as a species