What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• ChubbyKazza
    Options
    Well, I am not celiac but I can prove that I am gluten sensitive but the foul smelling gas that is emitted from my bowels when I eat gluten .... take my word for it or come visit after a cheat ... your choice :-)

For those of us that don't have 'wheat intolerance' but get wind because we are ordinary humans .....

Help get rid of bloating by cutting out fizzy drinks and foods that cause wind.
    Sit down to eat, don't talk when chewing, don't chew gum and take regular exercise.

For excess wind cut down on foods known to cause wind and bloating, such as: beans onions broccoli cabbage sprouts and cauliflower - but make sure you still get fruit and veg in your diet
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease is not gluten sensitivity. Totally different thing...because celiac disease is real.

I dont have it, therefore it doesnt exist.

50048638.jpg
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease is not gluten sensitivity. Totally different thing...because celiac disease is real.

You just made me giggle. :wink:
  • tkdgirlms
    tkdgirlms Posts: 73
    Options
    I have a friend in the medical profession and he says those who say they are gluten sensitive, are sensitive to life as everything about us has gluten of some fashion. There is no such thing as gluten sensitivity!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My family (genetically speaking) has tons of celiac. My dad, aunt, brother, and nieces all have been diagnosed as celiacs. (by both small intestine biopsy and blood tests).

Our family LOVES the emergence of the gluten-free trend. We don't care if it real or imaginary because it's opened up so many more options for eating out and buying food at a normal grocery store.

10-15 years ago, it was so hard to be a celiac and be part of 'normal society'. It was nearly impossible to go out to dinner as a family. We couldn't stay at hotels - we always had to rent places with a kitchen so we could prepare our own meals. We had to do most of our shopping at overpriced, natural food stores. My mom had to learn to bake with alternative flours and xanthan gum. Beer was off the menu.

It's so much easier for celiacs now! So, I say bring on the people that practice a gluten-free diet for whatever reason they choose!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    in for bacon ....

Me too....move over...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It doesn't exist.

This has been proven by the researchers who originally provided evidence of its existence. Their followup research shows that there is no such thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5
    Statistics fail. Any study involving 37 people might show it's highly likely to be falsely diagnosed but doesn't prove that it doesn't exist at all.

Do you even math?
  • KseRz
    Options
    It doesn't exist.

This has been proven by the researchers who originally provided evidence of its existence. Their followup research shows that there is no such thing.

Statistics fail. Any styudy involving 37 people might show it's highly likely to be falsely diagnosed but doesn't prove that it doesn't exist at all.

Do you even math?

No, but I get all my research info from businessinsider.com

:drinker:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Funny thing when I stop eating gluten all the pain in my hands, feet ,etc. went away. I stopped feeling sluggish and no gas!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Selective science and hypochondria are fun combos...

"Science is wrong because <insert anecdotal observation>

Out of curiosity, would you suggest that this hypochondriac just go on eating the gluten and suffer the symptoms, because 'science' has not proven that my symptoms were indeed caused by the gluten?

I have never had a doctor have anything but a very positive reaction to my change in health.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "BACKGROUND & AIMS:

Patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) do not have celiac disease but their symptoms improve when they are placed on gluten-free diets. We investigated the specific effects of gluten after dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates (fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols [FODMAPs]) in subjects believed to have NCGS."

My understanding of this is to test the effects of a low FODMAP diet in subjects believed to be NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitive). To me, this says nothing of dispelling the idea of NCGS's existence.
    ...we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs.
    I read this as saying that there is no evidence of gluten effects in patients put on a low FODMAP diet.
    In all participants, gastrointestinal symptoms consistently and significantly improved during reduced FODMAP intake, but significantly worsened to a similar degree when their diets included gluten or whey protein.
    Gluten-specific gastrointestinal effects were not reproduced.

This is confusing to me. On one hand they say gluten increased symptoms, on the other they say they couldn't reproduce effects?
    Coincidentally, some of the largest dietary sources of FODMAPs -- specifically bread products -- are removed when adopting a gluten-free diet, which could explain why the millions of people worldwide who swear by gluten-free diets feel better after going gluten-free.

This makes perfect sense to me. Having confirmed IBS, and a low FODMAP diet allegedly reducing IBS symptoms, it makes complete sense that removing gluten and starches from my diet improves my symptoms drastically without having either NCGS nor a wheat allergy.

I'll remain on the fence about this one until more double-blind studies come out; about either NCGS or FODMAPs.

So, in other words, the media is misrepresenting the actual study findings.... yet again.

Go figure...

Science works. Unfortunately, so do yellow journalism and politics.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Funny thing when I stop eating gluten all the pain in my hands, feet ,etc. went away. I stopped feeling sluggish and no gas!

:drinker:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I've noticed a pattern in those who fight FOR the gluten existence. I'm not gonna tell what it is though.......:devil:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    businessinsider.com?

I guess gluten sensitivity is big business now, huh?

oh you have no idea how much of a business it is, these shep think its cool to be gluten free because there farts smelled funny this time around and they feel the need to be special

little do they know that they are unnecessarily filling the pockets of some con-man who knows better

its really funny, especially if you just sit back and watch them through their money away at the expense of making them feel special

This sheep does not fart and I do not throw my money at anyone. I just don't eat items that contain gluten!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It doesn't exist.

Actually, what that study shows is that there might be a lot of different stress factors in food, and that gluten may be one of them, or that gluten may be found in the same types of food as one of them, or that the other stress factors may lead to a reaction to gluten.

That isn't exactly the same as saying gluten sensitivity doesn't exist. What it does say (and I agree with) is that if you have the kind of symptoms which are today considered to be caused by gluten sensitivity, it's a good idea to reconsider your entire diet, and not just the gluten part. It may be that you will be able to tolerate gluten better if you remove other stress factors in your diet.

For us here at MFP, my take on this is that rather than thinking going gluten free is a miracle cure for everything, we should be more conscious about the general diet. To that extent I very much agree that the article is important. As for proving that gluten sensitivity doesn't exist? Nah, not convinced.
  • KseRz
    Options
    I went to PF Changs once. Tried ordering their gluten free food. The waiter there told me I didnt need it. I was like excuse me, its on the menu, thats what I want. The little effer wouldnt serve it to me.

No tip for you DB.

I just wanted to taste what "gluten free" food tastes like as I highly doubt many people would recognize or know if their food was gluten free.

Similar to when Penn & Teller gave outside hose water to customers in a restaurant and listed it on the menu as from the Swiss Alps or something for $7 or $8 a glass. What was even funnier was when the wait staff brought the customers what they thought was a different type of water, but it was from the same hose and then they were somehow able to determine that one glass of water tasted different and was better than the other.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I've noticed a pattern in those who fight FOR the gluten existence. I'm not gonna tell what it is though.......:devil:

Please, do tell :tongue:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Selective science and hypochondria are fun combos...

"Science is wrong because <insert anecdotal observation>

Psst.....didn't you hear.....science killed God. (gasp)
  • ValGogo
    Options

Please, do tell :tongue:

nope! nopenopenope! haha
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OP: You have your diary open and I refuse to take any type of advice from someone who is not doing the right things to begin with. Please, if you post at least have some experience and be more of an expert in this area.