How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• daviddjhonna
    Options
    I didn't read the 16 pages.. but this is what jumped out at me in the story:

"Fat acceptance is the radical notion that fat people are human beings and deserve respect,"

WHY is this so radical?

That is sad that seeing fat people as human beings that deserve respect is considered "radical". :frown:

Because people are interpreting it as "proud of being fat" rather than "not letting the label fat define you".

what is wrong with someone who feels proud of their body & its fat? why is it okay for other body types to be proud of their body but not fat people of their fattness? all this concern trolling health stuff is old and tired ...people need to allow others to love themselves as they are not constantly screaming "you can like you but you need to change you to really like you " .

society : be yourself
    society: no not like that

I didn't say that reflected my opinion - I was saying that's what was going on in this thread.

If you read any of my posts in this forum, you'll see I'm firmly in the "be exactly who you are and rock the crap out of it" camp.
    I dont think she meant you specifically. I think it was just a statement. Because when you really look at it. Society is that way
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

"Fat acceptance is the radical notion that fat people are human beings and deserve respect,"

WHY is this so radical?

That is sad that seeing fat people as human beings that deserve respect is considered "radical". :frown:

Because people are interpreting it as "proud of being fat" rather than "not letting the label fat define you".

what is wrong with someone who feels proud of their body & its fat? why is it okay for other body types to be proud of their body but not fat people of their fattness? all this concern trolling health stuff is old and tired ...people need to allow others to love themselves as they are not constantly screaming "you can like you but you need to change you to really like you " .

If someone wants to be proud of their fat... *thinks back to when I was 185 lbs and wonders why someone would want to be proud about being overweight* ... then sure they can be proud of that, I think it would be artificial...

I think what they were arguing though is being proud in themselves *despite being fat.

and people can't allow others to love themselves?! Only the individual can love themselves...

society society.. culture culture... collective grouping much?

Where I have a problem is if they want to be proud of being obese... it would be like a dope fiend acting like he is proud of his track marks in his arm... smh.. makes no sense.. the fat itself is just a symptom of a major problem... that ONLY can be rectified with self-control
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

I think one can take pride in who he/she is as a person and love him/herself while simultaneously taking a realistic assessment of his/her unhealthy habits. I think that the movement is relying on a false dichotomy between obesity promotion and fat shaming.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

If someone wants to be proud of their fat... *thinks back to when I was 185 lbs and wonders why someone would want to be proud about being overweight* ... then sure they can be proud of that, I think it would be artificial...

I think what they were arguing though is being proud in themselves *despite being fat.

and people can't allow others to love themselves?! Only the individual can love themselves...

Where I have a problem is if they want to be proud of being obese... it would be like a dope fiend acting like he is proud of his track marks in his arm... smh.. makes no sense.. the fat itself is just a symptom of a major problem... that ONLY can be rectified with self-control
    HEY Im 188 and I am proud of this body! I like to think Im the new Mae West.
    As for collective grouping, think of advertisement companies as the society/ culture everyone talks about. In all honest, it is the media that dictates what we believe is beautiful, and worthy of admiration. We as a society have abandoned our own common sense. As the saying goes, "Common sense isnt too common".
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

I think one can take pride in who he/she is as a person and love him/herself while simultaneously taking a realistic assessment of his/her unhealthy habits. I think that the movement is relying on a false dichotomy between obesity promotion and fat shaming.
    Its possible, but when you vilify the individual for being in that current state. Despite working to improve it, then there is a problem.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Being obese is in no way equal to drug addiction.

You want to know how I got fat? Sleep deprivation - in the severe category (formally diagnosed by my physician). My brain was never actually resting, which greatly screws your hormones (among other things). It also caused me to become severely depressed and moderately to severely anxious.

This wasn't a matter of me stuffing my face every day without a care in the world. I've never been an over-eater, or an emotional eater or a lazy person. And it wasn't a matter of self control.

You have a lot of preconceived notions about people and why they are the way they are. Not everyone is going to fit into a little box like you'd like them to. Your life will be infinitely easier when you accept that everyone has a story that's worth considering and snap judgements are usually wrong.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

Its possible, but when you vilify the individual for being in that current state. Despite working to improve it, then there is a problem.

Again, I think that's a false dichotomy. I'm certainly not vilifying anyone, quite the opposite, but I don't think that obesity promotion is something I can support.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

HEY Im 188 and I am proud of this body! I like to think Im the new Mae West.
    As for collective grouping, think of advertisement companies as the society/ culture everyone talks about. In all honest, it is the media that dictates what we believe is beautiful, and worthy of admiration. We as a society have abandoned our own common sense. As the saying goes, "Common sense isnt too common".

Having a degree in marketing :smokin: ,lolz - not going to delve deeper into that though due to the trumping of a fellow SOB up in here ;) ... but I will say that big pharma and these binge food places have done a remarkable job of not making it clear what is beautiful and worthy of admiration... rather they have made people feel complacent and apathetic with their appearance where they are willing to accept themselves having tons of pills and food consumed on the daily and think healthy people are "too skinny" ..and eating fast food and taking prescription drugs is normal.

the new "curves is cool culture" ... not that curves are not cool, its just that we call fat curves now!
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

You want to know how I got fat? Sleep deprivation - in the severe category (formally diagnosed by my physician). My brain was never actually resting, which greatly screws your hormones (among other things). It also caused me to become severely depressed and moderately to severely anxious.

This wasn't a matter of me stuffing my face every day without a care in the world. I've never been an over-eater, or an emotional eater or a lazy person. And it wasn't a matter of self control.

You have a lot of preconceived notions about people and why they are the way they are. Not everyone is going to fit into a little box like you'd like them to. Your life will be infinitely easier when you accept that everyone has a story that's worth considering and snap judgements are usually wrong.
    Just remember he is young. Stay amused by some of those notions and you will never get irritated.
    Its very true that some medical situations can cause obesity. Anywhere from lack of hormones due to hysterectomy to thyroid issues, to epileptic medications. The list goes on and on. None of them are the results of being lazy, over indulgence, emotional eating (which I have never understood), or lack of self control. There are health problems due to obesity and then there are those that cause the obesity.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Oh I'm not irritated at Scottie - I know he's learning. I'm actively trying to teach him how not to be a jerk (you should have seen some of his past posts/threads). We have a weird sort of friendship going on.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

You know how I became a drug addict? I was treating a symptom of my body as well - sleep deprivation!

Plagued with a case of insomnia that was unworldly, forced to drink and use daily just to pass out at night.. I actually started a thread on sleeping just today.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Just remember he is young. Stay amused by some of those notions and you will never get irritated.
    Its very true that some medical situations can cause obesity. Anywhere from lack of hormones due to hysterectomy to thyroid issues, to epileptic medications. The list goes on and on. None of them are the results of being lazy, over indulgence, emotional eating (which I have never understood), or lack of self control. There are health problems due to obesity and then there are those that cause the obesity.

^however this is true.

*as I was*
    :embarassed:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Oh I'm not irritated at Scottie - I know he's learning. I'm actively trying to teach him how not to be a jerk (you should have seen some of his past posts/threads). We have a weird sort of friendship going on.

:smooched:
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Having a degree in marketing :smokin: ,lolz - not going to delve deeper into that though due to the trumping of a fellow SOB up in hear ;) ... but I will say that big pharma and these binge food places have done a remarkable job of not making it clear what is beautiful and worthy of admiration... rather they have made people feel complacent and apathetic with their appearance where they are willing to accept themselves having tons of pills and food consumed on the daily and think healthy people are "too skinny" ..and eating fast food and taking prescription drugs is normal.

the new "curves is cool culture" ... not that curves are not cool, its just that we call fat curves now!
    As long as you remain healthy in your activities, understand moderation, and eat healthy, you being overweight is not something to be ashamed of or to be shamed by others about. I am what my husband calls thick, definition, just this side of fat to be sexy. Now this is a matter of opinion, and like the saying goes, "opinions are like bootys, everybody has one". You may see my size and think its disgusting (not that I give a damn). Then see a woman just a bit smaller and think she is the bees knees. Your statement is a reflection of opinoin (the last part). I wont denigh that all you can eat joints and big pharma are trying to say ignore the issue of unhealthy obesity but you should also know that there are those that are obese that are healthy.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I believe in fat tolerance but not fat pride. The fat acceptance people I encounter, usually on the Internet or on TV, believe that they're healthy and will remain so even though that is patently not true. They think the solution is for government and private establishments to install bigger subway, train, and airline seats instead of dealing with themselves. I particularly worry about the habits that they are passing on to their children.

We live in a culture in which it's easy to become overweight. People should get help from public and private programs. But it starts with individual responsibility.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

You know how I became a drug addict? I was treating a symptom of my body as well - sleep deprivation!

Plagued with a case of insomnia that was unworldly, forced to drink and use daily just to pass out at night.. I actually started a thread on sleeping just today.

Mine is a direct result from a brain condition I have called Chiari Malformation (my skull is malformed, so it's squishing my brain stem, which screws up stuff for me like swallowing (lol), headaches, falling, speech issues, etc). We didn't have medical insurance, so I couldn't get anything to waylay the pain or side effects. It sucks that lack of insurance led to me being overweight, but there ya go. S*it happens. Now I just have to work hard to get even hotter than I already am (if that's even possible ;) )
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Good we can teach together-:bigsmile:
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I believe in fat tolerance but not fat pride.

This.

If you're happy with being fat, good for you. If you're actively trying to promote obesity as a desirable lifestyle then it's ridiculous.

Obviously each to their own.
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Being fat isn't always the same as being unhealthy. Being thin isn't always healthy.

Fat pride seems to be about tying self esteem to something BESIDES your weight just as Black Pride isn't about black supremacy and Gay Pride isn't about an anti-straight agenda.

I think its healthy and, if anything, can be far more motivating when it comes to healthy behavior than fat shaming.

YES :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Having a degree in marketing :smokin: ,lolz - not going to delve deeper into that though due to the trumping of a fellow SOB up in hear ;) ... but I will say that big pharma and these binge food places have done a remarkable job of not making it clear what is beautiful and worthy of admiration... rather they have made people feel complacent and apathetic with their appearance where they are willing to accept themselves having tons of pills and food consumed on the daily and think healthy people are "too skinny" ..and eating fast food and taking prescription drugs is normal.

As long as you remain healthy in your activities, understand moderation, and eat healthy, you being overweight is not something to be ashamed of or to be shamed by others about. I am what my husband calls thick, definition, just this side of fat to be sexy. Now this is a matter of opinion, and like the saying goes, "opinions are like bootys, everybody has one". You may see my size and think its disgusting (not that I give a damn). Then see a woman just a bit smaller and think she is the bees knees. Your statement is a reflection of opinoin (the last part). I wont denigh that all you can eat joints and big pharma are trying to say ignore the issue of unhealthy obesity but you should also know that there are those that are obese that are healthy.

What constitutes a medically healthy weight is a not a matter of mere opinion. It is based on observing people who are overweight and noting what the excess weight does to their bodies: Their joints, hormonal systems, vascular system, etc.