Family Stick People on vehicles

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just have to throw my 2 cents in here. First, I spent 10 years prosecuting child sexual abuse and child death cases. Additionally, I have worked as a civilian child abuse investigator for a law enforcement agency.

I cannot stress this enough......your child is WAY more likley to be victimized by someone he or she knows. Unfortunately, I have prosecuted way more teachers, coaches, church youth pastors, family members, family friends, etc. etc. etc. than strangers. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of pure stranger cases I have been involved with since I started practicing law in 1996. These cases rarely make the national news, so I think people don't realize how common they are. Rather than being concerned about stick people on cars, I would encourage parents to teach their children that there are private parts of their body that people are not allowed to touch. Period. "Stranger danger" is mostly a myth.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just have to throw my 2 cents in here. First, I spent 10 years prosecuting child sexual abuse and child death cases. Additionally, I have worked as a civilian child abuse investigator for a law enforcement agency.

I cannot stress this enough......your child is WAY more likley to be victimized by someone he or she knows. Unfortunately, I have prosecuted way more teachers, coaches, church youth pastors, family members, family friends, etc. etc. etc. than strangers. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of pure stranger cases I have been involved with since I started practicing law in 1996. These cases rarely make the national news, so I think people don't realize how common they are. Rather than being concerned about stick people on cars, I would encourage parents to teach their children that there are private parts of their body that people are not allowed to touch. Period. "Stranger danger" is mostly a myth.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I started when my oldest was out of diapers:
    - Where's your private area?
    - Who can touch your private area? (Nobody, unless you ask them to help you go potty)
    - What do you do if somebody touches your private area? (tell Mommy or Daddy)

It was awesome when her doctor explained the concept and told her exactly why it was ok for the doctor to touch her (Mommy is in the room).
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    A__49331.1378711607.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I agree.

And thank you for the work that you did! I know it's hard work, but so valuable.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    A__49331.1378711607.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

this is the sticker I sent to my brother in law. He immediately applied it to his car and pronounced I was the best big sister in law ever.

(you can see the review on Amazon...)

I didn't see the Dexter episode, never got into it.

But we did get on to our son for leaving his bike in the driveway after an episode of Criminal Minds.

Also the "is this your cat?" guy at the door (after he injures your cat...)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    3270d1351451250-m-e-m-e-funny-picture-thread-stick-figure-family.jpg

yep
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I get that putting names under the figures is maybe not a good idea.
    Can't say I've ever seen names on them here though.

But the figures in themselves being a safety risk?
    Nup, not concerned at all.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the stick figure families, but the memorial window clings are worse. Having a memorial sticker for your dead significant other on the back of a beat up Dodge just seems tacky to me. A lady that works at my kids' daycare has one memorializing each of her miscarriages.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the stick figure families, but the memorial window clings are worse. Having a memorial sticker for your dead significant other on the back of a beat up Dodge just seems tacky to me. A lady that works at my kids' daycare has one memorializing each of her miscarriages.

I see a lot of those around here. I'm still waiting for the ultimate irony of seeing one on the back of a hearse. I would die laughing, I think.