Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• n3col3
    n3col3 Posts: 2
    Options
    best of luck to you in this new journey!
  • misskelly427
    misskelly427 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quite the storm you've created OP!

Personally I'm all for clean eating, I often eat chocolate while I'm vaccuming.

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

Someone mentioned I should bring up Dr. Oz next time. :)
    Also, I may make a thread about sugar consumption when all the dies down.
    LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LOL

Good call. You are fitting right in!

(And I'm glad you are taking all this as you are.)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

LOL

If you *really* want to see people's keyboards burst into flames, post something like "I heard that a calorie isn't a calorie", or "What are the best negative-calorie foods?", or "Technically speaking, cats aren't mammals"....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

LOL

If you *really* want to see people's keyboards burst into flames, post something like "I heard that a calorie isn't a calorie", or "What are the best negative-calorie foods?", or "Technically speaking, cats aren't mammals"....

Or milk isn't meant for consumption past infancy. <eye roll>
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

I completely agree with you..........Good luck on your journey. Remember whatever you do you're doing the right thing for you! Peace!

This sort of comment concerns me.

Whatever you( general you, not OP or anyone in particular) is doing is not neccesarily right for them.

There must be somewhere where we draw the line : if someone posts saying I'm starting 500 calorie a day diet or I'm spending $100 a week on gimmicky supplement - do we just say whatever you are doing is right for you????? :indifferent:

Maybe the line should be if the OP is eating a diet which is going to damage their health.

I'm not sure cutting out processed food and eating healthier options where possible counts as a non healthy diet.

Oh I agree - although I'm not fussed about cutting out processed foods myself, I agree doing so certainly does not constitute a non healthy diet.

I just don't agree with the PPs idea on a blanket 'whatever you do is right for you' ( and anyone who doesn't support ANY 'whatever you do' is mean and negative)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have read through some of this thread but not all of it, so I'm sure someone has already said this. The benefit to eating "good" foods instead of "bad" foods is that normally, you can eat MORE "good" foods for the same amount of calories than you can eat "bad" ones. Being able to eat more food and still reach your goals is always a good thing!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

LOL

Some calories are equal to 4.18400 joules. Other more special calories are equal to 4.18401 joules.
  • Yagisama
    Options
    I have read through some of this thread but not all of it, so I'm sure someone has already said this. The benefit to eating "good" foods instead of "bad" foods is that normally, you can eat MORE "good" foods for the same amount of calories than you can eat "bad" ones. Being able to eat more food and still reach your goals is always a good thing!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather eat 100 grams of what I really like than 500 grams of what I don't like. :tongue:
  • SherryCrist
    SherryCrist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love the website, skinnyms.com. They have some great recipes.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

LOL

Some calories are equal to 4.18400 joules. Other more special calories are equal to 4.18401 joules.

See what I mean? You can't make this stuff up! Hey, Yagisama -- I read that it's really important that you eat your first meal within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning, because that "revs your metabolism" for the rest of the day. What are your thoughts?

Ahh, I should get back to work!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think Clean Eating is the way to go. Benefits of clean eating is that it can drastically reduce or eliminate cravings. Clean eating will change your health and hopefully your weight. I disagree that it is all calorie counting. I eat weight more calories than I am supposed to but I eat very clean and healthy and I lose half a pound a day.

I hope you meant to say a half a pound a week! a half a pound a day would be scary and unhealthy!
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Just know that clean eating in and of itself does not cause weight loss. You have to eat less calories then you burn to lose weight. You can do that eating processed foods or not.

^^ This. You can eat the most organic and natural foods but still gain weight. Also, I hate the term clean eating. We don't eat dirty foods. Why not call it like it is, wholesome eating.
  • Yagisama
    Options

It sure is!
    Debate - day 5.

LOL

See what I mean? You can't make this stuff up! Hey, Yagisama -- I read that it's really important that you eat your first meal within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning, because that "revs your metabolism" for the rest of the day. What are your thoughts?

Ahh, I should get back to work!

I think that's correct to an extent. Unfortunately, most people forget that you need to hold back a little "NOS" for the end of the day for that final boost to win the race. I bring to your attention, one of the "Fast and Furious" movies where the rookie used his NOS way too early for it to do any good.

That's a good analogy for the first meal timing requirement. You want to keep some of that breakfast for later on and eat it at dinner so you can rev your metabolism one last time before the day is over.
  • lovestoskiandsurf
    lovestoskiandsurf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think there's truth in a lot of what has been said. Less calories will help you lose weight. It's also true that certain foods take more calories to burn in your system. It's true that exercise will increase your metabolism and help you burn more calories. There's also logic to having one higher calorie day each week so that your weight loss doesn't stagnate.

Sugar and high glycemic foods are inflammatory and should be mostly avoided. Corn, flour, white rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. A period of complete removal of these foods will help you to lose the cravings for these foods. High doses of Niacin (1G x 3/day) taken with a B-complex and Vit C (1G x 3/day) for 2-3 weeks will really help with sugar cravings.

You have to do what works for you - and what will work for someone needing to lose 10 pounds will be different than someone needing to lose 50 pounds. For me, I lose weight (and fat) with long cardio (running/walking 4-6 miles/ 5 days per week) and 2 days of weight training, decreasing calories and avoiding sugar and HG foods. I also eat protein with EVERY meal. I like having to log all the food i eat - if I want to cheat (and I allow myself one per day) - first I put in the food, and then I see if it will put me over my "goal" calories for the day. Good luck!
  • Yagisama
    Options
    Good for you! I think Clean Eating is the way to go. Benefits of clean eating is that it can drastically reduce or eliminate cravings. Clean eating will change your health and hopefully your weight. I disagree that it is all calorie counting. I eat weight more calories than I am supposed to but I eat very clean and healthy and I lose half a pound a day.

I hope you meant to say a half a pound a week! a half a pound a day would be scary and unhealthy!

As if. We're talking about clean eating. NOT scary and unhealthy eating! :explode:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I think there's truth in a lot of what has been said. Less calories will help you lose weight. It's also true that certain foods take more calories to burn in your system. It's true that exercise will increase your metabolism and help you burn more calories. There's also logic to having one higher calorie day each week so that your weight loss doesn't stagnate.

Sugar and high glycemic foods are inflammatory and should be mostly avoided. Corn, flour, white rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. A period of complete removal of these foods will help you to lose the cravings for these foods. High doses of Niacin (1G x 3/day) taken with a B-complex and Vit C (1G x 3/day) for 2-3 weeks will really help with sugar cravings.

Other than your first 2 sentences: "less calories will help you lose weight" ,and "exercise will help you burn calories', rest is nonsense.
    There is no logic to having a weekly higher calorie day to stop weight loss stagnating (although if you want a higher day and it fits within weekly calories, fine) - but your weight loss wont stagnate if you have every day the same number of calories either.

and there is no need to avoid corn, flour, rice etc or to take supplements unless you have an individual medical reason to do so.

Not necessary from a weight loss perspective.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Other than your first 2 sentences: "less calories will help you lose weight" ,and "exercise will help you burn calories', rest is nonsense.
    There is no logic to having a weekly higher calorie day to stop weight loss stagnating (although if you want a higher day and it fits within weekly calories, fine) - but your weight loss wont stagnate if you have every day the same number of calories either.

and there is no need to avoid corn, flour, rice etc or to take supplements unless you have an individual medical reason to do so.

Not necessary from a weight loss perspective.

Agreed, from a weight loss point of view you can eat whatever you want as long as you are eating in a deficit.
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just get in my lbm in protein and fill in the rest. Otherwise I get to OCD lol.
  • APU1972
    APU1972 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi misskelly,

Agree with clean eating, but the shock when you scan barcodes using the MFP app usually makes me think before i eat.

What im using is if it grows, falls, runs, flies or swims i eat and enjoy.

So go natural all the way!!!

Hope you get to where your going.