Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    In. Just... in.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Trying to come up with analogous items:

Bun huggers female/male runners.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    There is most definitely a stigma. Guys mock other guys who wear the form fitting shorts unless it is sport specific, and then if you don't compete, they say you're a poser (is that still a word?). Women say it's "gross" to see the junk on display.

Men still must wear the compression shorts under the baggy shorts, though, because if they are doing stretches, you can't have Bert and Ernie flopping out of your shorts.

Women wear form fitting clothing for the opposite reasons. If we wear the oversized baggy shirts, we risk people being able to look down them while we work out. Or people say women are sloppy or have "given up" or "just don't care about her looks."

There are double standards, but we all live with them. Do I care if men wear tight shorts? Nope. I kind of like them. I wish more men wore meggings to the gym.

And this is kind of where I'm going with it.

Are women more advanced in terms of fighting the stigma, but are now fighting the "oh she wears tight clothes so she wants it" brand?

If more men fought the stigma and wore form fitting pants, would all the crazed ladies in the gym be gawking more?
    Would men be finding themselves in the center of a sh!tstorm from other guys judging their "manliness" (much like women call other women slores)
    If more men wore meggings, would they start to feel the discomfort of people ogling them?

I'm really just curious.

ETA: "advanced" is not the best word... maybe "entrenched in a battle" better describes it
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I really don't care either way. There are a coupla meathead guys at my gym who squat in tight shorts. I don't think anything of it, past "they are probably serious about lifting, and are scary enough to not care what other guys think".

tumblr_ls36chHMHs1qjlctro4_r2_500.gif

This gif - so much win

(also, I really pay no attention to what anyone wears to the gym so I have nothing relevant to contribute - sorry)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    There is most definitely a stigma. Guys mock other guys who wear the form fitting shorts unless it is sport specific, and then if you don't compete, they say you're a poser (is that still a word?). Women say it's "gross" to see the junk on display.

Men still must wear the compression shorts under the baggy shorts, though, because if they are doing stretches, you can't have Bert and Ernie flopping out of your shorts.

Women wear form fitting clothing for the opposite reasons. If we wear the oversized baggy shirts, we risk people being able to look down them while we work out. Or people say women are sloppy or have "given up" or "just don't care about her looks."

There are double standards, but we all live with them. Do I care if men wear tight shorts? Nope. I kind of like them. I wish more men wore meggings to the gym.
    This. Thank you, eloquent. Although I don't think the male genitalia are gross in any way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wear lycra shorts for cycling and I wear jammers for swimming...I guess I never really thought of wearing anything form fitting for my lifting sessions...might have to try that.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So I wonder... if it is so much more comfy for women to wear form fitted clothing while lifting / running / boxing, etc... why isn't the same true for men? Is there a stigma against men wearing tight shorts / form fitting clothing in the gym?

We don't want you to notice when we notice that you're wearing tight fitting clothing.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dxhb7t.jpg
    \

Really????
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I vaguely remember wearing tight lycra bike shorts to the gym in LA in the early 90s all the time. Wasn't unusual then. Junk wasn't. that visible, and it was fairly comfortable.

Back then we all did isolation exercises and laughed at the old guys still doing compound exercises like from the 50's.

Everything is cyclical. Mark my words, skintight shorts for men will be back, and so will isolation exercises! (And fat demonizing. Heck the sugar demonizing is just the 70's all over again)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    dxhb7t.jpg
    \

Really????

It's kinda a cute butt. Just sayin.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What's a slore?

Slutty *kitten* of course.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tight shorts work on a bike. I just don't find them comfortable with gym workouts. Plus until I lost my weight, I am pretty sure I would have been asked to leave. :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    In for male junk!

Pics or didn't happen ....

Sometimes they don't even need to be wearing tight pants...

Jon-Hamm-Wallpaper-55.jpg
  • TheCounselorx
    TheCounselorx Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

lolololo.... that is why :flowerforyou:

Do you hide it because it might offend me or because you don't want me to see it?

haha.. I don'y mind anybody seeing it/them/those........ I like it...but only if they want to... but there are some ladies who don't want to see man junk... I guess you gotta cater for them??........... maybe I'm just too nice!???
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So I wonder... if it is so much more comfy for women to wear form fitted clothing while lifting / running / boxing, etc... why isn't the same true for men? Is there a stigma against men wearing tight shorts / form fitting clothing in the gym?

We don't want you to notice when we notice that you're wearing tight fitting clothing.

I would like to call out this answer as it makes the most sense to me.
  • rickysticky305
    Options
    Desperate old women on MFP :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

lolololo.... that is why :flowerforyou:

Do you hide it because it might offend me or because you don't want me to see it?

haha.. I don'y mind anybody seeing it/them/those........ I like it...but only if they want to... but there are some ladies who don't want to see man junk... I guess you gotta cater for them??........... maybe I'm just too nice!???

Not necessarily. Some women wear compression tops so that they don't make the guys around them uncomfortable. However, this is something that women think about and discuss...and men kind of take for granted.

And the why to that is really interesting.