Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I wonder what i_love_to_ride wears?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There is most definitely a stigma. Guys mock other guys who wear the form fitting shorts unless it is sport specific, and then if you don't compete, they say you're a poser (is that still a word?). Women say it's "gross" to see the junk on display.

Men still must wear the compression shorts under the baggy shorts, though, because if they are doing stretches, you can't have Bert and Ernie flopping out of your shorts.

Women wear form fitting clothing for the opposite reasons. If we wear the oversized baggy shirts, we risk people being able to look down them while we work out. Or people say women are sloppy or have "given up" or "just don't care about her looks."

There are double standards, but we all live with them. Do I care if men wear tight shorts? Nope. I kind of like them. I wish more men wore meggings to the gym.

And this is kind of where I'm going with it.

Are women more advanced in terms of fighting the stigma, but are now fighting the "oh she wears tight clothes so she wants it" brand?

If more men fought the stigma and wore form fitting pants, would all the crazed ladies in the gym be gawking more?
    Would men be finding themselves in the center of a sh!tstorm from other guys judging their "manliness" (much like women call other women slores)
    If more men wore meggings, would they start to feel the discomfort of people ogling them?

I'm really just curious.

ETA: "advanced" is not the best word... maybe "entrenched in a battle" better describes it

Here's my thought on that. Women decided to wear form-fitting workout clothing in the early 80s, and the longer women wore it, the more desensitized the public became, so that now, it is commonplace. The ones who are most self-conscious tend to be the younger women and women new to working out in public or to wearing exercise wear. That feeling goes away after a while. To be frank, I sold workout wear in the 80s and early 90s, and I'm just really, really glad we don't wear the butt floss leotards over bike shorts to do squats anymore. Those were painful.

Men place just as much social pressure on themselves as women do. Like LolBro says, getting past the mental discomfort of wearing meggings in public is the hurdle, because they're comfortable in the gym. Women got over it for the most part. Men just need to do the same.

I went to the gym today in a baggy green shirt and ugly Old Navy pants. I felt more awkward in that than I do in compression clothing. It had no impact on whether I was hit on. The guy who seems to have a crush on me still went out of his way to chat me up, even in the ratty beast clothes. The people who just say hello or ask how the kids are still did that. Nothing changed except the way I felt in my clothes.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

lolololo.... that is why :flowerforyou:

Do you hide it because it might offend me or because you don't want me to see it?

haha.. I don'y mind anybody seeing it/them/those........ I like it...but only if they want to... but there are some ladies who don't want to see man junk... I guess you gotta cater for them??........... maybe I'm just too nice!???

Not necessarily. Some women wear compression tops so that they don't make the guys around them uncomfortable. However, this is something that women think about and discuss...and men kind of take for granted.

And the why to that is really interesting.

and THIS is exactly WHY I asked.

"I guess you gotta cater for them?"
    If it means sacrificing a degree of comfort, to make others more comfortable... hmmm...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've seen men in all sorts of gear, including tight bottoms, and I don't think twice about it.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    There is most definitely a stigma. Guys mock other guys who wear the form fitting shorts unless it is sport specific, and then if you don't compete, they say you're a poser (is that still a word?). Women say it's "gross" to see the junk on display.

Men still must wear the compression shorts under the baggy shorts, though, because if they are doing stretches, you can't have Bert and Ernie flopping out of your shorts.

Women wear form fitting clothing for the opposite reasons. If we wear the oversized baggy shirts, we risk people being able to look down them while we work out. Or people say women are sloppy or have "given up" or "just don't care about her looks."

There are double standards, but we all live with them. Do I care if men wear tight shorts? Nope. I kind of like them. I wish more men wore meggings to the gym.

And this is kind of where I'm going with it.

Are women more advanced in terms of fighting the stigma, but are now fighting the "oh she wears tight clothes so she wants it" brand?

If more men fought the stigma and wore form fitting pants, would all the crazed ladies in the gym be gawking more?
    Would men be finding themselves in the center of a sh!tstorm from other guys judging their "manliness" (much like women call other women slores)
    If more men wore meggings, would they start to feel the discomfort of people ogling them?

I'm really just curious.

ETA: "advanced" is not the best word... maybe "entrenched in a battle" better describes it

Here's my thought on that. Women decided to wear form-fitting workout clothing in the early 80s, and the longer women wore it, the more desensitized the public became, so that now, it is commonplace. The ones who are most self-conscious tend to be the younger women and women new to working out in public or to wearing exercise wear. That feeling goes away after a while. To be frank, I sold workout wear in the 80s and early 90s, and I'm just really, really glad we don't wear the butt floss leotards over bike shorts to do squats anymore. Those were painful.

Men place just as much social pressure on themselves as women do. Like LolBro says, getting past the mental discomfort of wearing meggings in public is the hurdle, because they're comfortable in the gym. Women got over it for the most part. Men just need to do the same.

I went to the gym today in a baggy green shirt and ugly Old Navy pants. I felt more awkward in that than I do in compression clothing. It had no impact on whether I was hit on. The guy who seems to have a crush on me still went out of his way to chat me up, even in the ratty beast clothes. The people who just say hello or ask how the kids are still did that. Nothing changed except the way I felt in my clothes.

I agree wholeheartedly... but I do find myself wondering if more men would be visually molested and get that "I'm being ogled" feeling if they did.

Just sayin.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    no compression shorts here, just boxer briefs to keep the boys in place and shorts. Tight close on my that is a negative, a compression shirt is possible.

however i might want to bring this look back

th?id=HN.608009623729081912&pid=1.7
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

Do you hide it because it might offend me or because you don't want me to see it?

haha.. I don'y mind anybody seeing it/them/those........ I like it...but only if they want to... but there are some ladies who don't want to see man junk... I guess you gotta cater for them??........... maybe I'm just too nice!???

I think you are - you should wear what you're most comfortable in, especially for a workout.

The thought of being offended by the outline of cocknballs astounds me endlessly. Like - it's a penis, it's not a scary monster.

I've never come across a person (male or female) that had any issues with tight clothing on men, or judged them. And I live in a *huge* city. This is truly a foreign concept to me.

I figured men covered up because either a) they were self conscious about their size (which - silly) or b) they were modest.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    A woman's body is a piece of art. A man's body is mechanical tool. Which would you rather look at. I find wearing tight clothing uncomfortable and like the feel of baggy shorts.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    no compression shorts here, just boxer briefs to keep the boys in place and shorts. Tight close on my that is a negative, a compression shirt is possible.

Don't knock that look. I have a special place in my heart for that look.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

And this what I said in the other thread. Tight clothing seriously showcases the junk. A lot of men likely aren't comfortable putting it on display like that. It's not like they aren't "allowed". If you want your junk out, rock the crap out of it.
    Yet female boobies are on display daily. *scratches her head*

This connection was made in the other thread. Boobs aren't genitals.
    Oh, I didn't know that... "Outline" was discussed in the first quoted comment. Boobs have outline and men stare at them.

So do women. :wink: If you're wearing a real sports bra, there's no way anyone will see an accurate outline. They'll see a smushed, compressed breast.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Don't knock that look. I have a special place in my heart for that look.

I just need to be able to find these shorts and socks. I can get the chucks.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Some women wear compression tops so that they don't make the guys around them uncomfortable. However, this is something that women think about and discuss...and men kind of take for granted.

If it means sacrificing a degree of comfort, to make others more comfortable... hmmm...
    I think people in general are incredibly squeamish over the smallest of things. Breastfeeding is sexual somehow, showing cleavage equals being a slut or something else negative, a short skirt seems to mean she's asking for trouble, antibacterial soap is necessary or we will die, men's junk is gross, and yet sex is everywhere, in your face all day long. It's dirty yet people keep downloading it. There is so mich more to this than just showing a bit of outline. And all I can think of is they can't have been this sensitive about stuff in ye olden days, we were bodies and that's it. Not today though.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options

exactly!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

I think people in general are incredibly squeamish over the smallest of things. Breastfeeding is sexual somehow, showing cleavage equals being a slut or something else negative, a short skirt seems to mean she's asking for trouble, antibacterial soap is necessary or we will die, men's junk is gross, and yet sex is everywhere, in your face all day long. It's dirty yet people keep downloading it. There is so mich more to this than just showing a bit of outline. And all I can think of is they can't have been this sensitive about stuff in ye olden days, we were bodies and that's it. Not today though.

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Compression clothing makes you look smaller. Women generally want to look smaller especially at the gym.

Breastfeeding is not sexual (blech). But breasts sure as heck are, and I rue they day they aren't.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    A woman's body is a piece of art. A man's body is mechanical tool. Which would you rather look at. I find wearing tight clothing uncomfortable and like the feel of baggy shorts.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

A man's body is just as much a work of art as a woman's.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

And this what I said in the other thread. Tight clothing seriously showcases the junk. A lot of men likely aren't comfortable putting it on display like that. It's not like they aren't "allowed". If you want your junk out, rock the crap out of it.
    Yet female boobies are on display daily. *scratches her head*

This connection was made in the other thread. Boobs aren't genitals.
    Oh, I didn't know that... "Outline" was discussed in the first quoted comment. Boobs have outline and men stare at them.

So do women. :wink: If you're wearing a real sports bra, there's no way anyone will see an accurate outline. They'll see a smushed, compressed breast.
    I'll just go ahead and trademark the next big thing - The Vacuum Garment, sucks gently and keeps everything in place, no offensive outlines to be seen thereafter, for 99.99 only today!
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Balls + tight shorts = recipe for pain
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Agreed. Have you ever seen David? He's not a tool...
  • AglaeaC
    Options

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Compression clothing makes you look smaller. Women generally want to look smaller especially at the gym.

Breastfeeding is not sexual (blech). But breasts sure as heck are, and I rue they day they aren't.
    Breasts with a milk waterfall coming out of them really aren't sexual.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Agreed. Have you ever seen David? He's not a tool...
    Exhibit B:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1310758-show-me-your-v-s