Replies

• tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh and tight wicking underwear
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Your goal for now should be to build a base. Running several days a week.

Thank you. Yes, thats my goal. Building up :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Oh and tight wicking underwear

Your awesome. lol.

Thank you:0)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Here's my tip: switch to a half.

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.

This X 1,000
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

^^ This x 100000! I think it's really important to set realistic and achievable goals, that don't involve you getting injured. A half marathon in 1 year would still be a major accomplishment, and a much more doable one. Just my 2 cents.

PS I am currently training for my 3rd half (have also done a few 5k and 10Ks) and I personally do not feel ready for a full marathon yet.

I have to tell you..i concur with this. it can be done but does it have to be done? If you manage to make it there injury free it is still going to be a miserable experience. One that could very well turn you off of running.

Doing the half as your reward can be just as motivating...in a years time your likely to finish it strong and feel very accomplished and hooked to running.

Ive done several halfs and my first one was a miserable...now they arent cake walks but I certainly do not feel like im dying when im done with them...I feel ready for the full now.

So yea start with the half...but if your dead set on doing it...the hal higdon plan for novice is a good one to do when you get to that time frame...I would not worry about speed, hill work, or tempos, strides or any of that...at this point your a complete beginner, your goal should just be to finish...you just need to slog out the miles and get endurance and strength up.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race, some think its possible. I accept that. It is kind of crazy. Im not trying to be the best runner in the world. I dont care about time, I just want to hit under 7 hrs LOL.

I realize I have ALOT of work ahead of me, and commitment. Im 44 week out to train for this. I feel my body is capable of running this race. Ive had friends that were 300 lbs and finished a marathon, Ive seen 90 yr olds run marathons, Ive seen my brother who is on his 8th marathon and never ran a day in his life run and complete a marathon. Ive seen my 18 yr old brother complete a marathon. I AM VERY CAPABLE. I just have to learn, take advice, and be committed to training. I plan on running a 5k, a 10 k, throughout the course of the year to mentally and physically prepare me for how my body will react. When I first started a year ago working out I had just had a tumor removed from my hand (couldnt not move, grasp, lift, pull or use it) . I had a messed up ankle that would swell to the size of a baseball. I couldnt breathe at all. It was hard enough moving a 272 lb body, let alone doing it broken..but I did it.. Despite what everyone told me. So I do think the human body is capable of alot more then we give it credit for.

My body may/ may not give out during the race. I may / may not finish it, but you better believe I dont quit, even if I have to crawl to get there. Im taking things slow yet moving forward and being efficient. I will get fitted shoes. I will stretch. I will definitely meet my nutrition and sleep needs. I will ice. I will learn to love it.

Thank you all again! Alot of useful information!

If you need support and can stand the occasional tough love, feel free to friend me. Also, I'd encourage you to join the Long Distance Runners group. Lots of knowledge and willingness to help in there. Best of luck.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

Hellllloooo first and foremost welcome to the grind!

I am running my 6th marathon in the fall and each time I learn something new.

For my first marathon, I followed Nike's 16 week training schedule to a Tee. Didn't miss a beat. That being said, there are a lot of marathon plans out there and you need to find what works for you. Every year, I end up finding one that I like the looks of and now tweak it. Training doesn't typically start until 16 weeks out, but as you said in your initial post you can't run right now. 26.2 is a realllly looong waaays to go not knowing if you even like distance running. I'm not going to discourage as I think this is great but I suggest you start some mild training now. Get your distance up to about 6 miles. Most training plans assume you can run that and factor that in to their 16 week plans. If this is something you really want to do, its not impossible - it will take a lot of work leading up to February, before actual training starts. That all being said, things I think you should know:

* Running is a mental game. Somedays you will love it, other days you will hate it. Some runs will be amazing and others won't. You need to be able to decipher for yourself these days and not allow them to get you down. Find yourself a running mantra for the tough days. Mine is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, today is NOT that day" There are tons out there and all you need to do is to google.

*Running is personal. Determine within yourself why you want to do this and write those reasons down and have the list readily available for times when you question it. Try not to look at your runs as work but rather release. I get some of my best ideas on a run. But know running is the one place you can go and that moment will be all yours.

*As daunting as the marathon can be, there are so many wonderful aspects on race day that will make you forget your nerves. I run Chicago every year which has 1.2 million people present and the streets are lined with spectators and supporters. I don't know which marathon you signed up for but courses that are highly touted help you beat the mental and emotional stresses on race day.

* Learn how to eat properly. When you start training, you feel HANGRY all the damn time. Your body will adjust but its not a reason to not carefully monitor your intake. A lot of people gain weight during marathon training. Carbo- loading sounds like fun but not as effective as people once thought. Runners diets consist of a lot of veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and grains. This all brings me to another very important, TMI topic: POOP. If you do not properly control your nutrition leading up to AM runs or race days - you may find your bowel movements to be off or needing to poop in the middle of a run with nowhere to go. In the days leading up to races, you need to cut back on high-fat, High-protein, large amounts of dairy and High- processed foods. The reason being is how it creates a waste in your body and how your body needs to dispel of it. Runner's world is a great magazine that explained this to me a loooong time ago. Active.com also posts a lot of informative pieces.

* Learn how to fuel. Use your long runs to figure out how to fuel yourself. Which Gu's, Gels, chomps, drinks, etc. work. Typically, you shouldn't need to refuel until after 6 miles and then every 6 after that. I find gels to be gross, they just don't work for me so I like Gatorade's line of chews and pretzels. You will also need to determmine how and when to take water and electrolyte. Invest in a runners belt for training, if you have a well-run marathon, you won't need to carry it then. To get a variety of different fueling samples, I use Runner's Box subscription service, each month they'll send you a box full of runner's goodies.

* Porta potties are gross. Invest in a small pouch that either goes on your running belt or you can use for race day that you can carry bandaids, wipes and other necessary items in. (*cough* lady products * cough* )

* Your body will do weird things while it adapts, your TOM may change - it may get better or worse depending on your body. You will learn very quickly how and what affects your body. You will feel pain in places you didn't know existed.

* Go to a running store, get fitted for shoes and change them every 3-6 months to avoid injury. While there invest in a foam roller ( trigger point is fantastic) Body glide ( no one likes chub rub - use this around your bra, arms and most definitely between your legs), running sunglasses, garmin ( or something other than a phone app that give you an accurate mileage) and Tech tees and shorts. This is special material that is sweat-wicking and breathable. NEVER wear cotton. If you have big boobs, get a maximum compression sports bra and strap those ladies down! They will also fit you for this at any good running store. Make sure anything that you wear on race day, you have tested on a long run.

* Get a 26.2 support crew - a group of people who will follow you around and cheer you on in the marathon and set a plan so you know when you will see them. This is a bonding activity every year for me and BFF. But instead of counting down mile markers, you will focus on when you will next see your group.

* Getting your period on race day or any day around it sucks. Especially if you crap or have any type of issues. If you are on BC and control it, skip it altogether you will be so much happier.

* Get a reallllly good playlist and have a "go -to" song. Whenever you get hit in the middle of a run and just aren't feeling it anymore, go to your song and get yourself pumped back up. It usually helps if its upbeat. Mine right now is Macklemore's Can't hold us

* DO YOUR TEMPO RUNS! They make a huge difference in pace!

* CROSS-TRAIN! It helps with pacing and avoiding injury. Spinning and swimming is great cross-training.

*Do not skip strength training. Make sure to focus on your core and lift on both lower body and upper body. Even though running seems to be a lower body activity, you will draw a lot of energy from pumping your arms as well.

* Keep in mind, you will get passed and you will pass others. But your only competition is you, your own time and your own goals. Its no one else's race except yours.

* Do yoga. Especially if you hate regular stretching. Its a lot less boring in my opinion but its really good for opening up the hips which runners often neglect.

* LIsten to your body. it will tell you what it needs.

That's all I have for now, I'm sure there's more. Feel free to friend me or message me with any questions. Hope this helps! Its just one foot in front of the other! Best of luck!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Best advice: good shoes and immodium

Yes to the shoes, a big NO to the immodium. It causes your body to dehydrate, which is probably the LAST thing you want to happen on a long run or during a marathon.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

For my first marathon, I followed Nike's 16 week training schedule to a Tee. Didn't miss a beat. That being said, there are a lot of marathon plans out there and you need to find what works for you. Every year, I end up finding one that I like the looks of and now tweak it. Training doesn't typically start until 16 weeks out, but as you said in your initial post you can't run right now. 26.2 is a realllly looong waaays to go not knowing if you even like distance running. I'm not going to discourage as I think this is great but I suggest you start some mild training now. Get your distance up to about 6 miles. Most training plans assume you can run that and factor that in to their 16 week plans. If this is something you really want to do, its not impossible - it will take a lot of work leading up to February, before actual training starts. That all being said, things I think you should know:

* Running is a mental game. Somedays you will love it, other days you will hate it. Some runs will be amazing and others won't. You need to be able to decipher for yourself these days and not allow them to get you down. Find yourself a running mantra for the tough days. Mine is, "One day you will no longer be able to do this, today is NOT that day" There are tons out there and all you need to do is to google.

*Running is personal. Determine within yourself why you want to do this and write those reasons down and have the list readily available for times when you question it. Try not to look at your runs as work but rather release. I get some of my best ideas on a run. But know running is the one place you can go and that moment will be all yours.

*As daunting as the marathon can be, there are so many wonderful aspects on race day that will make you forget your nerves. I run Chicago every year which has 1.2 million people present and the streets are lined with spectators and supporters. I don't know which marathon you signed up for but courses that are highly touted help you beat the mental and emotional stresses on race day.

* Learn how to eat properly. When you start training, you feel HANGRY all the damn time. Your body will adjust but its not a reason to not carefully monitor your intake. A lot of people gain weight during marathon training. Carbo- loading sounds like fun but not as effective as people once thought. Runners diets consist of a lot of veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and grains. This all brings me to another very important, TMI topic: POOP. If you do not properly control your nutrition leading up to AM runs or race days - you may find your bowel movements to be off or needing to poop in the middle of a run with nowhere to go. In the days leading up to races, you need to cut back on high-fat, High-protein, large amounts of dairy and High- processed foods. The reason being is how it creates a waste in your body and how your body needs to dispel of it. Runner's world is a great magazine that explained this to me a loooong time ago. Active.com also posts a lot of informative pieces.

* Learn how to fuel. Use your long runs to figure out how to fuel yourself. Which Gu's, Gels, chomps, drinks, etc. work. Typically, you shouldn't need to refuel until after 6 miles and then every 6 after that. I find gels to be gross, they just don't work for me so I like Gatorade's line of chews and pretzels. You will also need to determmine how and when to take water and electrolyte. Invest in a runners belt for training, if you have a well-run marathon, you won't need to carry it then. To get a variety of different fueling samples, I use Runner's Box subscription service, each month they'll send you a box full of runner's goodies.

* Porta potties are gross. Invest in a small pouch that either goes on your running belt or you can use for race day that you can carry bandaids, wipes and other necessary items in. (*cough* lady products * cough* )

* Your body will do weird things while it adapts, your TOM may change - it may get better or worse depending on your body. You will learn very quickly how and what affects your body. You will feel pain in places you didn't know existed.

* Go to a running store, get fitted for shoes and change them every 3-6 months to avoid injury. While there invest in a foam roller ( trigger point is fantastic) Body glide ( no one likes chub rub - use this around your bra, arms and most definitely between your legs), running sunglasses, garmin ( or something other than a phone app that give you an accurate mileage) and Tech tees and shorts. This is special material that is sweat-wicking and breathable. NEVER wear cotton. If you have big boobs, get a maximum compression sports bra and strap those ladies down! They will also fit you for this at any good running store. Make sure anything that you wear on race day, you have tested on a long run.

* Get a 26.2 support crew - a group of people who will follow you around and cheer you on in the marathon and set a plan so you know when you will see them. This is a bonding activity every year for me and BFF. But instead of counting down mile markers, you will focus on when you will next see your group.

* Getting your period on race day or any day around it sucks. Especially if you crap or have any type of issues. If you are on BC and control it, skip it altogether you will be so much happier.

* Get a reallllly good playlist and have a "go -to" song. Whenever you get hit in the middle of a run and just aren't feeling it anymore, go to your song and get yourself pumped back up. It usually helps if its upbeat. Mine right now is Macklemore's Can't hold us

* CROSS-TRAIN! It helps with pacing and avoiding injury. Spinning and swimming is great cross-training.

*Do not skip strength training. Make sure to focus on your core and lift on both lower body and upper body. Even though running seems to be a lower body activity, you will draw a lot of energy from pumping your arms as well.

* Keep in mind, you will get passed and you will pass others. But your only competition is you, your own time and your own goals. Its no one else's race except yours.

* Do yoga. Especially if you hate regular stretching. Its a lot less boring in my opinion but its really good for opening up the hips which runners often neglect.

That's all I have for now, I'm sure there's more. Feel free to friend me or message me with any questions. Hope this helps! Its just one foot in front of the other! Best of luck!

Agree with everything except tempos... girl can't even run for 30 seconds!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I do think the human body is capable of alot more then we give it credit for.

My body may/ may not give out during the race. I may / may not finish it, but you better believe I dont quit, even if I have to crawl to get there. Im taking things slow yet moving forward and being efficient. I will get fitted shoes. I will stretch. I will definitely meet my nutrition and sleep needs. I will ice. I will learn to love it.

But why? Humans have a lot of experience at the marathon distance. There has been tons of research on running and distance running. We know that the body adapts to running over time, that it takes a year to make the first round of adaptations that will prepare you to train for a marathon.

Why crawl across the finish line when you could cross it at a sore but satisfied jog 24 months from now? Where is the glory in under training? It's kind of like saying, "I'd like to try plyometrics, so I think I'll just go jump off the roof."

Guess what races experienced runners are most likely to describe as challenging? The 10k. The mile. Those distances are HARD to run right.

You know what's really difficult and admirable for a beginning runner? Consistently hitting 25 miles a week for a year. That's a great goal and will make you a fabulous runner for the long term. You do that and you'll be able to do any race at any distance any time you choose.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Yes, ! JUut what I needed! So you are saying BC-skip it?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    So I do think the human body is capable of alot more then we give it credit for.

But why? Humans have a lot of experience at the marathon distance. There has been tons of research on running and distance running. We know that the body adapts to running over time, that it takes a year to make the first round of adaptations that will prepare you to train for a marathon.

Why crawl across the finish line when you could cross it at a sore but satisfied jog 24 months from now? Where is the glory in under training? It's kind of like saying, "I'd like to try plyometrics, so I think I'll just go jump off the roof."

Guess what races experienced runners are most likely to describe as challenging? The 10k. The mile. Those distances are HARD to run right.

You know what's really difficult and admirable for a beginning runner? Consistently hitting 25 miles a week for a year. That's a great goal and will make you a fabulous runner for the long term. You do that and you'll be able to do any race at any distance any time you choose.

You are right. I guess I was just saying if in fact I die towards the end. lol I obviously plan on finishing, running, and doing well...I have a year to adapt to running, and 16 weeks before Ill really hit the "training" for the purpose of the marathon run.

Thanks again.
  • Amberlynnek
    Options

Well true...but she may get there one day! And if not, She can still tempo herself into distance! 30 second run 30 second walk.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

You are right. I guess I was just saying if in fact I die towards the end. lol I obviously plan on finishing, running, and doing well...I have a year to adapt to running, and 16 weeks before Ill really hit the "training" for the purpose of the marathon run.

Thanks again.

I admire your expectations and ambition, albeit wildly out of this world considering your current fitness level.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.

I can not disagree with anything said here. I started running in Jan of 2010 using couch to 5k. Ran my first 5k in March, worked up to a 10k and ran that in June, continued to train and add distance and completed my first half marathon in October of that year. Since then, I've run another 7 half marathons and completed my first full marathon in April of this year. What did I learn? That even with all the running I already had under my belt, I needed more time to train. I followed a 16 week plan and it was not enough. I did not give my body time to adjust to the longer miles and build up strength slowly. I finished the race, but not nearly as strong as I had wanted to. It was brutal. The training was brutal. It took me five and a half hours to finish and I was in pain. If I ever run a full marathon again, I will take close to a year to do it and I will build up to the longer distances one half mile to a mile at a time. And I'm saying this as someone who has been running for a little over 4 years.

I love running half marathons! It's a great distance that is both challenging and rewarding. Beginning to run is a great goal! Just do it smart to build strength and confidence and to prevent injury. :) Happy running!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Well true...but she may get there one day! And if not, She can still tempo herself into distance! 30 second run 30 second walk.

Well, yeah, but for her, definitely not in a year. Gallowalking =/= tempo. Gotta have aerobic capacity first.

Priority #1 is building a base of many slow and easy miles.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in 1992. Ran tons of them since, along with lots of other events.

I can never understand why "runners," won't support a bucket list marathon runner. If someone wants to just go finish a marathon and scratch it off, let them.

Yes, I will run for life, but not everybody wants to. Some people just want to do a marathon, get the t-shirt and then get on with their lives.

I guess I get defensive "for them" because my fiance is one of them.

that is all
  • Amberlynnek
    Options

Well, yeah, but for her, definitely not in a year. Gallowalking =/= tempo. Gotta have aerobic capacity first.

Priority #1 is building a base of many slow and easy miles.

Well absolutely but she does have 8 months before she has to train. She may or may not be able to work up her base. If she does, great if not, she choose to defer her entry and no harm, no foul. Her goal may be just to finish, doesn't mean finish in a running stride, she could walk it. While I don't want to discourage or deter OP, as this whole running thing becomes more popular, the number of walkers has greatly increased. I personally find this rather obnoxious as a racer, since they typically have no race etiquette. Such as, don't walk down the center of the path, don't start in the runners corrals, don't be running in front of someone and then come to a complete stop, etc. But I think its great she wants to take on the challenge.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in 1992. Ran tons of them since, along with lots of other events.

I can never understand why "runners," won't support a bucket list marathon runner. If someone wants to just go finish a marathon and scratch it off, let them.

Yes, I will run for life, but not everybody wants to. Some people just want to do a marathon, get the t-shirt and then get on with their lives.

I guess I get defensive "for them" because my fiance is one of them.

that is all

Who was being unsupportive?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

30 seconds at LT pace, does not a tempo run make.