New MFP App Comments

Options

Replies

• jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I just noticed these new things yesterday... perhaps they have been there longer. It told me it liked my soup because it's high in protein... or yesterday said how many calories I have left.. duh, that's at the top already. They are in little green boxes with what looks like either a scale or a green flower on the left side of the box.

I don't mind them. I wish MFP had more little mini-goal suggestions like Noom.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I find irony in the fact that it warned me when I was approaching my calorie goal, yet when I logged 2 servings of pizza for lunch it switched it to just one (this bug has been there for a while) and I didn't notice until the end of the day. I was then 343 calories over.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just recently started getting these comments (was there a new update?) and they are unnecessary. Is it supposed to be motivating for some?

The one that bothers me most was that I added 2 eggs and it gave me a "reminder" that they were high in cholesterol.
    It also "reminds" me of my fat goal with a yellow scale--like danger, don't wanna eat too much fat, who cares if your calories are on point!
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have mixed opinions about this.

It made me look at my macros more, and I have realised I eat too many carbs and not enough protein. So in a way, that's good.

However, it seems to only pick specific things to comment on. And it's annoying that I have the same foods picked up on every time - if I eat some oatcakes, I'm told it's great because they're low in saturated fat. But if I log a new food, MFP doesn't seem to have an opinion on it.
    It's also annoying that if I log part of my dinner it will tell me I have x calories left - yes, I know, I wasn't actually just having cherry tomatoes!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just recently started getting these comments (was there a new update?) and they are unnecessary. Is it supposed to be motivating for some?

The one that bothers me most was that I added 2 eggs and it gave me a "reminder" that they were high in cholesterol.
    It also "reminds" me of my fat goal with a yellow scale--like danger, don't wanna eat too much fat, who cares if your calories are on point!

Yeah it's a new update. Mine just started doing it too. Thankfully I don't log much using the app.

My biggest annoyance with it is that it's wrong. Like last night it gave me a reminder "Your goal is to eat no more than 51 grams of fat."

Um no. My goal is to eat AT LEAST 51 grams of fat. :grumble:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Android user (v3.1). Just added 3 servings of Chips Ahoy cookies and 2 servings of a nice fatty camembert cheese. No shaming by the app :frown:

ETA: did so via barcode scanner.

Hmph.

Guess you'll just have to keep getting your food shaming from the forums for a while longer.

Started giving me comments last night. No shaming yet - the comments have all been quasi-positive. I am going to have to scan a bottle of tequila, some candy . . . something, to try and get passive-aggressive MFP.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    never had the app say a thing to me. (iphone)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My phone app just automatically updated and I now have this feature. It's ridiculous! The advice is outdated and is going to lead to a raft of newbies posting on the forums freaking out about unnecessary things. Urgh!! :angry:

And it feels like I'm being nagged at. I don't respond well to nagging! :grumble: :laugh:
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would like an option to disable this "feature".
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't mind them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So far, I only got the comments once. It was there for a moment and then gone. It was much less annoying than I anticipated. I didn't mind. Some were funny (like protein powder being high in protein). And now I don't get the comments anymore.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ignore them. And I notice most of them go away quickly - I've missed a couple and then wonder what it was telling me. I never think they're negative, occasionally it has reminded me I have a fat goal, but whatever they're not the boss of me. I do what I want! :bigsmile:
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    These comments are just so patronising as to be laughable! yes I know what is high in protein. will now avoid using the phone app and go back to my laptop online!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I would like an option to disable this "feature".

yes me too
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it turns out that I am still getting the comments. They just happen so fast and infrequent that it is easy for me to not notice them.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Android user (v3.1). Just added 3 servings of Chips Ahoy cookies and 2 servings of a nice fatty camembert cheese. No shaming by the app :frown:

ETA: did so via barcode scanner.

Hmph.

Guess you'll just have to keep getting your food shaming from the forums for a while longer.

Started giving me comments last night. No shaming yet - the comments have all been quasi-positive. I am going to have to scan a bottle of tequila, some candy . . . something, to try and get passive-aggressive MFP.

Well, scanned a bottle of tequila and added a bunch - no comments. Scanned some random stuff, could only get quasi-positive stuff. Finally this AM, in a scanning rampage pulling things one after another from the fridge / cabinets and adding multiple servings at a time, I finally got some passive-aggressive MFP. Upon adding 3 servings of Chips Ahoy Cookies (after adding a bunch of cheese-its and salami), the app finally let me have it: "Just so you know . . . this food is high in saturated fat" :laugh: :flowerforyou: Hahahahah -- "just so you know" - I am going to have fun with this thing going forward. I do most of my logging on a computer rather than the phone, and don't use the scanner much anymore, but this may just get me using the phone app more often!

Photobucket is acting up else I'd post an image.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I actually appreciate the comments! The point of the app is to eat healthy and lose weight/gain weight with the right foods! I don't find it judgmental at all, I find it helpful cuz I tend to ignore macros/micros and only focus on the calories, so I think its just being helpful and letting you know! A lot of the comments are very encouraging also! "congrats, you met your protein/calcium/iron (whatever) goal for the day!" "good job, this food is high in protein" or "careful, your goal for sodium is 2300" these are things we should be paying attention to anyway.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I have turned off auto updates and will NOT update MFP until I know this is gone. :) I am well aware of what's in the food I eat and how much of it I eat. This feature seems annoyingly useless. :huh:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The only update I'm interested in is being able to enter food and exercise notes in landscape mode. Despite multiple email requests where they say they'll consider it in a future update and it never happens
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Did anyone ever find a way of turning these damn things off? They're sooooooo annoying. I know rice is low in saturated fat; I imagine few people would think otherwise. I don't need little platitudes to tell me that; it's just irritating. If some people like them then fine, leave the option to have them appear - but there seriously needs to be a way of switching them off for those who dislike them.

(I've just this second realised that the little icon that appears alongside the messages is supposed to be scales. Before that I always thought it was a tiny little brain...)