MFP has changed

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I am more Machiavellian than 14% of others. I can't figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. :frown: On the other hand, no psychopathology, so yay!

Narcissism 15th percentile

Machiavellianism 84th percentile

Psychopathy 26th percentile

I'm not totally sure. But I think this means I'm a jerk.

No, it means you should be a lawyer, trust me on this.

But what if she doesn't want to get fat?

Wut you did there, I see it

Well given my parents as examples, not gonna lie, could be an issue.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yay psych twins! Apparently my husband yelling at me for being a way too nice pushover is true.....:ohwell:

:flowerforyou:

Add me to that list too.

:heart: I got a 2% on narcissism, are either of you my identical twin or are we all fraternal?

Lol, I don't remember what my other two scores were, but they were both below 10%.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I cut my forum teeth on video game forums.

MFP pales in terms of vulgarity, rowdiness, and rudeness. Why no one has told me how they spent last night with my mom even once.

LOL This is kind of what I always think when I see the mean people threads, my introduction to the internet was being a fat white guy posting on a hip-hop message board for almost a decade. This place is Candyland compared to that den of hatred.

I have seen some mean things said to others, I have had mean things said to me here - and to be perfectly honest with myself I have probably said mean things...in a Joanne Moniz thread for example.

That said, I try to stay positive and helpful when I give advice because everyone is at a different spot, and I remember when someone here was a **** to me at the very start of my weight loss, I found it jarring (and this was someone being actually mean, not blunt, not direct - just being an as*hole and trying to score lulz).

On the other side of things - I have made posts where I am very polite, stress I am speaking from my experience, directly link the evidence I feel backs up my claim AND clearly say do what works for you - and have still been called a "hater" and "a-hole". So part of me thinks it is easier to just be blunt.

I think a message board is just like life - you will have people who are jerks, straight forward, polite, stupid, smart, stupid-smart, insensitive, too sensitive, etc... The good news is you can simply use the ignore function to block whoever you don't vibe with. I kind of wish real life had a better ignore function.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have seen some mean things said to others, I have had mean things said to me here - and to be perfectly honest with myself I have probably said mean things...in a Joanne Moniz thread for example.
    You...I like you..
    neKfAfY.gif?1&size=400x1000
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In for the inner zen eye ......or something

eye-of-sauron.gif
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some issues I have noticed:

1. Aversion to objective scientific discussion. Discussions usually end with subjective experiences countering scientific research including "Well I FEEL fabulous after the detox/cleansing/etc diet." or "I was able to look like <photo.jpg> with my one weird trick and I don't need your peer reviewed research."

2. A case of all opinions being the same syndrome including all opinions deserving equal attention. Even the really horrendous one.

3. Many people complaining about "mean" people who are actually giving good advice while their interaction is limited to "go got this" and "you can do it."
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with whomever said the best part of this thread was the dark triad. It's nice to see my evil put into neat little categories.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    590dbdaf8cad7708384dbbfae5d0939e.jpg

Because I cannot help myself and am a snarky know-it-all, this is often called the Droste effect named after the label for a Dutch cocoa powder. Now I want hot chocolate.
  • Saritamac25
    Saritamac25 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ...:glasses:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Judging by the number of people in this thread who have basically written off the general forums, I think it's a well-deserved criticism.

If numbers don't lie, then I am assuming the criticism of your behavior from many here is well founded as well?

I have directly quoted you a few times, stated my opinion.... and you choose to ignore it, that is fine...maybe you prefer not to have your own statements used against you *shrug*. Then you find something to pick apart and try to place fault in everybody but yourself. To be BLUNT....You do not practice what you preach, you also do not come off as a very nice person or as someone who takes responsibility for their own life and actions. The true definition of a bully is someone who belittles others to boost their own sense of self. You hide behind passive aggression, this is one of the most destructive kinds of aggression. We all see it why as a psych major can you not?

QFT
    off to catch up on 3-4 more pages
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am more Machiavellian than 14% of others. I can't figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. :frown: On the other hand, no psychopathology, so yay!

Narcissism 15th percentile

Machiavellianism 84th percentile

Psychopathy 26th percentile

I'm not totally sure. But I think this means I'm a jerk.

No, it means you should be a lawyer, trust me on this.

But what if she doesn't want to get fat?
    :drinker:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Why do you care if you're not DavPaul?

Indeed.

Why do any of us care if we're not DavPaul?

Does DavPaul care if he's not DavPaul?

If DavPaul doesn't care if he's not DavPaul, should any of us care?

I don't know the answers.

But it really makes you think.

I just woke up from a nap and it's possible I am still groggy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    And no, gifs aren't cute, funny, or leaventing to the person who ted the thread being derailed, especially if they're chosen to humiliate that person. Most of the time they're just, yes, mean.

You mean gifs like a pig slamming her head repeatedly on a table laden with pastries?

tumblr_m7aa1ea7No1ruwi4no1_500.gif

This little helpful ditty was the eighth reply left on the Rasperry ketone!! thread started by a mother from the UK who was a newer poster with a bunch of kids who felt confused and unattractive.

Of course some "helpful" links and quotes from New Age speaker Wayne Dyer were also left. After the *pig* GIF. Real nice. Push her down in front of everybody, skin her knee, then offer her a hand up and a Band Aid. Thanks a lot MFP!

For what it's worth, you had the following advice in that same thread:
    I don't know what they are but they sound rather tasty.

*shrug*

Here is exactly what I said:

"The best way to get help from MFPers is to open your diary, log everything you eat honestly, and then three months from now ask for feedback if you still haven't lost weight.

Also, and sorry if this sounds mean, make sure your posts are proof read with pretty good spelling and grammar. This lends to the legitimacy of your interest in sincerely asking for help.

I don't think you're illiterate - that's not what I'm saying. Maybe you're just rushing or using an android phone touch screen to type.

Unless it's known exactly what you're eating and how much, no one can really help at this point.

And Raspberry Keytones will probably get you razzed, yes. Aren't they a Dr. Oz thing? I don't know what they are but they sound rather tasty."

So just for clarification what you wrote above is better and more helpful than what I wrote in that thread? I get you don't like Ms. Piggy gif, I can understand that, I thought it was funny, and I get some people won't. You can't make everyone happy.
    tumblr_m7aa1ea7No1ruwi4no1_500.gif

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

There are no magic pills. Only hard work and dedication.

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I know everyone loved the triad thing but I'm going to say this has to be my favourite thing in this entire thread.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why do you care if you're not DavPaul?

Indeed.

Why do any of us care if we're not DavPaul?

Does DavPaul care if he's not DavPaul?

If DavPaul doesn't care if he's not DavPaul, should any of us care?

I don't know the answers.

But it really makes you think.

I just woke up from a nap and it's possible I am still groggy.

DavPulstentialism
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dear Jof,

I wanted to say Thank you and any other person here who has takes the time and has the courage to try to help others here on the forums. It would be VERY true to say I am a lurker, I am pretty shy and it would also be true to say that some of the said bullying type issues that have been raised do make me very nervous to put myself "out there".

I have followed your advice and direction on other threads and it has helped me immensely.

I did end up getting a few individuals come in just for no other reason than to be jerks. When I posed a question in Maintaining Weight about whether Weight set points exist, can change in light of having a chronic illness. One particular sarcastic comment about crosses to bear, eating sticks of butter and No I'll NEVER put on weight, cut deeply. They were NOT anyone I have seen before, one was only 18 years old anyway.... and while it was really upsetting.....I had help from another MFP'er calling them out on their comments. The comments disappeared.....I'm a bit confused about that, maybe the Moderators took them down?

Please, please don't stop posting. People who are new or having struggles sorting the wheat from the chaff will miss out on so much if you get discouraged by these sort of idiotic generalisations.

You, I Lift Heavy Acrylics. Sugary Lynx DavPul, Evingentrix (sp), Quiet Bloom.... there are SO MANY others.....these are just off the top of my head have helped me so much, all the way over the other side of the World....and even tho' my health is at an all time low at moment it would have been worse if I had of stuck with MY original ideas (ie 1200 cal a must, there is 'good food and bad food', cardio is the only way and once upon a time I believed in the alluring promises of the Pills, Shakes, Cleanses etc). YOU and the others gave me pause for thought....made ME ask questions and THINK. That's special, that means alot.

So Thank you once again
    Karen XXX
    :heart:

PS: I am going to put this on the thread too. Hope that's OK.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Judging by the number of people in this thread who have basically written off the general forums, I think it's a well-deserved criticism.

If numbers don't lie, then I am assuming the criticism of your behavior from many here is well founded as well?

I have directly quoted you a few times, stated my opinion.... and you choose to ignore it, that is fine...maybe you prefer not to have your own statements used against you *shrug*. Then you find something to pick apart and try to place fault in everybody but yourself. To be BLUNT....You do not practice what you preach, you also do not come off as a very nice person or as someone who takes responsibility for their own life and actions. The true definition of a bully is someone who belittles others to boost their own sense of self. You hide behind passive aggression, this is one of the most destructive kinds of aggression. We all see it why as a psych major can you not?

She embodies every behavior on MFP that she claims to dislike.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dear Jof,

I wanted to say Thank you and any other person here who has takes the time and has the courage to try to help others here on the forums. It would be VERY true to say I am a lurker, I am pretty shy and it would also be true to say that some of the said bullying type issues that have been raised do make me very nervous to put myself "out there".

I have followed your advice and direction on other threads and it has helped me immensely.

I did end up getting a few individuals come in just for no other reason than to be jerks. When I posed a question in Maintaining Weight about whether Weight set points exist, can change in light of having a chronic illness. One particular sarcastic comment about crosses to bear, eating sticks of butter and No I'll NEVER put on weight, cut deeply. They were NOT anyone I have seen before, one was only 18 years old anyway.... and while it was really upsetting.....I had help from another MFP'er calling them out on their comments. The comments disappeared.....I'm a bit confused about that, maybe the Moderators took them down?

Please, please don't stop posting. People who are new or having struggles sorting the wheat from the chaff will miss out on so much if you get discouraged by these sort of idiotic generalisations.

You, I Lift Heavy Acrylics. Sugary Lynx DavPul, Evingentrix (sp), Quiet Bloom.... there are SO MANY others.....these are just off the top of my head have helped me so much, all the way over the other side of the World....and even tho' my health is at an all time low at moment it would have been worse if I had of stuck with MY original ideas (ie 1200 cal a must, there is 'good food and bad food', cardio is the only way and once upon a time I believed in the alluring promises of the Pills, Shakes, Cleanses etc). YOU and the others gave me pause for thought....made ME ask questions and THINK. That's special, that means alot.

So Thank you once again
    Karen XXX

:blushing:

Nah, just kidding.

I don't blush.

But you're very welcome...

...and thank you for having the courage to share.

:drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dear Jof,

So Thank you once again
    Karen XXX

:heart: :smooched:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Dear Jof,

So Thank you once again
    Karen XXX

THIS is why Jof is on my FL. And this is why I troll the forums. I find the helpful ones and friend them. I also friend the funny ones but that's for a different post :happy: