MFP has changed

Options
I have been on MFP for some time now and rarely post and know by posting this I am opening myself up for attacks. When I started on here other posters were encouraging and tried to motivate people now a lot just attack. I just finished reading the one "law school made me fat" and the op got attacked. I mean obviously the law school didn't make him eat bad, it did however cause a significant increase in stress which releases corticosteriods which increase belly fat and appetite. Studying did take away a lot of free time so maybe there wasn't much exercise. We also have no idea what else is happening in the posters life. In my opinion the op was looking for support and motivation not an attack on how there is no personal accountability. Just by coming to MFP the op is starting to take accountability. Wouldn't it be shameful if the op never came back because of the lack of kindness.
I am here to live better to maintain a healthy lifestyle not be shamed because in my past I gained weight because I lacked time to exercise while going through grad school, working full time, and raising a family not to mention the seasonal depression. I'm sure all of us started on here to live a healthier life and what is healthier for one may not meet the same definition for someone else.
It would be nice if the MFP community could be more welcoming and less bashing.

Replies

• makwich
    makwich Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree. No need to bash. If you have nothing positive or informative to add, don't add anything at all. I don't post because I just got tired of being ignored. Sniff.:cry:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    meh, there is a lot more to the site than the forums
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I believe that MFP is more than the community: it's also about the actual counting. I think that some people posting here are finding other things to blame for their weight gain. University, work, stress, ect. It is all in the tone of a post. Don't get me wrong, I know that the first step towards fitness and health is getting yourself sorted. But most will never get anywhere by blaming other things than themselves. I had a tendency to blame my surroundings and never lost a pound. Then I realised that I was in control over my life and weight and had will power. And lost weight.

(and then got onto maintenance, got lazy, put it back on...and so back to being in control again).

I think a lot of MFP is welcoming and warm. I just think that a lot of us have had enough of excuses because we have heard it all so many times. The worst is people asking for advice, yet finding excuses not to take the offered advice. And that is when the cats appear.

And by the way...good going on the weight loss, Tracey! Something is without any doubt working.
  • JulieMorelli
    Options
    Well said, and I'm thankful that you reached out to me.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It is a website, mostly for self accountability. A place to keep track of your food and exercise life if you want to.
    There is no my mfp ego, standing, grading or other accountability other than to self. If you want to contribute to others lives, please do. If you are looking for information, please query and it will probably be answered. If you are lonely and need a friend that does not judge you, get a dog or cat.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    image.png

(That said, yeah, people could use a bit more tact, but the Internet is much like the Middle East. There are spots where peace seems possible (Can we get a hand for Bono?), but at the end of the day, the news makes it seem like business as usual.)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ahh no. I'll stay nasty and unwelcoming.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh my...

th?id=HN.608043523906015169&pid=15.1
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    "If you are lonely and need a friend that does not judge you, get a dog or cat. "

I totally agree and whilst you are at it toughen yourself up. Its a cruel world outside of your home.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's all the same.....only the names will change.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that an expectation for people to hold your hand and enable you to avoid accountability is a viable part of sustainable weight loss.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It is a little different but mostly improved. A few years back there were 30 threads a day on the benefits of idiocy like HCG. Eventually the bullies beat down a lot of the myths and craziness and I find MFP to actually be MORE useful and informative than in years past. There are a lot of prominent, knowledgeable members now and an army of people dedicated to destroying misinformation. Good changes all around. Some weak people see this as a bad thing but I don't know what world they are living in.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.
    If you can't be nice or helpful, don't write anything.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's all the same.....only the names will change.
    every day ...it seems we're wasting away.
  • Nory143
    Nory143 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OP don't bother, these folks know it all, don't ya know. JK , I agree these people are brutal.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.
    If you can't be nice or helpful, don't write anything.

If only the world defined words like "nice" and "helpful" the same way you did, you'd be much happier. I feel bad that it just isn't so. :flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Oh noez...not another one

See THIS is a prime example. 3 posts in & it starts. It's like a magnet for hangry people.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    I can't wait to leave work get home get outta this uniform and drink a beer, now thats a positive attitude
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Well, what do you expect on a site run by people who are spending so much time obsessing over everything they put into their bodies, people who are constantly hungry, hangry, angry, and all the things in between?

That being said, people should stop being doushhhhnuggets.