MFP has changed

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm going to answer seriously for a change.

From what I have seen since I joined in 2011 and what I have heard from members who were here before me, MFP has changed DRAMATICALLY for the better. The amount of misinformation about nutrition that was on MFP before then was absolutely terrible and there has been a core group of members who have worked very hard to educate others and help them get on a path to healthy and long term weight loss.

Is this always done in the most "carebear" of fashions? No. Most of the time it is done in a very matter-of-fact way that makes some people feel dumb for believing the nonsense that they used to believe and they start feeling bullied when someone laughs about them posting a question that has been answered hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

As for motivation, I would say that those "mean people" are incredibly motivating. They point out the logical flaws in a person's pity party and point out that they are avoiding responsibility.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's all the same.....only the names will change.
    and every day seems we're wasting away
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.
    If you can't be nice or helpful, don't write anything.
    Even if nice or helpful means supporting something dangerous or inaccurate?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's all the same.....only the names will change.
    every day ...it seems we're wasting away.

MFP is.....

Another place where the faces are so cold
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.
    Even if nice or helpful means supporting something dangerous or inaccurate?

WAIT, are you calling advice dog DANGEROUS?

Advice-Dog-DRINK-BLEACH-LIVE-FOREVE.jpg
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Jokes aside I've been on here since 2011 on and off.
    the only thing that has changed is the excuses.

people are just as kind and just as rude and just as honest as they have always been

It sucks when people won't even take good advice
  • takeitsleazybraj
    Options
    When you can't be lean, be mean
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp?hl=dear+mean+people

If someone is doing something that's potentially harmful, or is posting pseudoscience I'm going to call them out on it. Because it's not just for the OP's benefit, it's for the lurkers as well.

This is like the second "mean people" thread today. If you don't like the forums, join groups, write on your MFP blog, or in your newsfeed. There are several ways to steer clear of the "mean people".

Blunt honesty =/= mean
    Disagreement =/= mean
    Gif's =/= mean (usually these are used to inject some humor to help lighten any "moods" threads may be heading in}

No one here needs their hands held, coddled, enabled, etc. People don't need things sugar coated. I'll agree not everything is necessarily said in the nicest way, however, a lot of times those responses end up because it's the same thread day in, day out, over and over. People are just trying to help, they take time out of their own lives to go into threads. I have a few friends that get told they are mean, rude, etc. When the fact is the OP just didn't hear what they wanted to hear and got all butthurt.

ETA: And by moods, threads don't really have moods, because text doesn't have tone, it's all in people's perceptions of what they read, and usually they read it the way they want to and interpret it to be mean/nice/hostile, where someone else reading the same thing may perceive it completely differently. If the people who created and the ones who respond in threads would actually keep their minds open, keep emotion out of it and realize it's not all about them...maybe things would go smoother.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Seems to me threads like this one really brings 'em out.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.

I find it very nice and helpful when bad information is corrected so that I am not duped into derailing my progress or giving up foods I love unnecessarily.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is like the second "mean people" thread today. If you don't like the forums, join groups, write on your MFP blog, or in your newsfeed. There are several ways to steer clear of the "mean people".

????????????????????????????????
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It just bad manners.

I find it very nice and helpful when bad information is corrected so that I am not duped into derailing my progress or giving up foods I love necessarily.

Ditto! :drinker:
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree and wish people were more encouraging on here. A lot of people are to quick to assume things, neglecting the fact that there are many upset, depressed or just fragile people who genuinely need support and help. By reaching out on the forums, maybe they don't have the support in their everyday lives. I think most people could benefit from just being kinder in general.

I dunno, it depends on what they're saying though. If someone says "my weight has increased and I don't know why" then someone doesn't bother to read the post and immediately says "calories out > calories in" it's rather discouraging to that person because then they're like "Well I'm just stupid then and will never be able to do this right.". Rather than just saying "You're doing it wrong", it's more helpful to direct them to helpful information...
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know if MFP has changed. There's been mean people ever since I can remember.
    I've been on and off for 3 years.

I will say while I appreciate the knowledge and advice people are ready to willingly give, people have really forgotten tact.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

But I guess the internets.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    If anything, these boards have gotten better all the time. Once things are beaten down enough, then people start to learn. As members, it is only right that we let other members know that something is unhealthy, a hoax, an excuse, or any number of things. If someone posts for "help" then they will get it. The issue then becomes when the OP decides they don't like the advice being given, even if that advice is correct. Nope, they just want people to pat them on the back and tell them "good job" even if they are eating 400 calories net a day, wasting their money on pills, or destroying their body with HCG.

If you are not willing to hear ALL opinions, then don't post in a public forum. Post it on your blog or to your friends where you can filter your answers.

And seriously, another one of these threads? Next time, use the search so we can all just skip yet more whining.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So, for those of you complaining. What have you done to help people on here?
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are jerks everywhere not just on the internet. people gotta learn how to take the good with the bad. I have actually received more good than bad and I'll continue using the forums for inspiration
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    2637564bd39da8c743c8f27b73309395.jpg

I have very rarely actually seen anyone on this forum be mean. I've seen them call others out on their bulls*** and correct myths and misunderstandings, but there's been almost zero name-calling, insulting or flaming. It's actually quite impressive if you've had any experience at all on the internet...usually adults act like children when they're disguised by the anonymity of the interwebs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You've made 40 posts in the past 5+ years. That's less than one per month.

I don't think you have enough experience with the forums to make any definitive judgments about it.

ETA:
    So, for those of you complaining. What have you done to help people on here?
    Also, ^this.