Strong in weight room means nothing outside of it

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    some people can do it so well you almost don't notice the rope is going under them twice

You might not see it but the sound is different.

what i mean is there DU form is nearly identical to a regular two footed jump.

i'll tuck my knees a bit, alter my arm position, do a bunch of things i wouldn't do if i really know what i was doing lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    See when people called me out on my jump rope skills. I was like what do I have to prove. I went ahead and did it but I wanted to rub it in people faces.
    I'm glad you posted the video. It didn't sound impressive until I actually saw it.

I know but I have goals like to do 100 double unders non-stop.

I can do about 10 with one jump between... and after that I start having issues with not peeing on myself. Doing 100 of them would require adult diapers for me - no questions asked- that's a hell of a thing. I would be deeply impressed good sir!!

I witness my old co worker doing over 100 but SHE has the body that make sense to seeing her do that.
    it's crazy- took me two years to work up the gumption to try them. I still have a really hard time with it- seriously- I do not have incontinence issues- but DU do it for me. I guess more practice- plus I land uber hard. Not my forte right now- but you only get better at it if you do it more often right!!!!

I started getting shin splints from jump roping too much. Same co worker said she used to training with a boxer and do toe raised. My shins have not hurt since.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    some people can do it so well you almost don't notice the rope is going under them twice

You might not see it but the sound is different.

what i mean is there DU form is nearly identical to a regular two footed jump.

i'll tuck my knees a bit, alter my arm position, do a bunch of things i wouldn't do if i really know what i was doing lol

The sound from the twirling of the rope sounds different. from single to DU
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I started getting shin splints from jump roping too much. Same co worker said she used to training with a boxer and do toe raised. My shins have not hurt since.

in other words come down on your heal? sounds like hell on your knees if thats the case
  • yopeeps025
    Options

in other words come down on your heal? sounds like hell on your knees if thats the case

More of it was bad shoes. They were old.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i bought these specially designed shoes for jumping rope. they are called 'ropix'. got turned on to them because i kept catching the rope on the tread of my sneakers.

the idea sounds great, virtually 100% flat sole with no groves, all the padding up in the forefoot.

totally DO NOT recommend them lol

in practice they just made my feet hurt... BAD. at 100 bucks they were way over priced for what they were
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Here's a link on functional fitness!!!

http://www.12minuteathlete.com/functional-fitness/

Real world exercise :-)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I do not think he will prove us wrong on this 315 video dead lift.

Ok another weight room transfer outside real world app. How about when your adrenaline is not strong enough to do the superman acts of saving people. You can have a little muscle to push that body to another level or as a little insurance if your adrenaline does not kick in at all.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    So you're saying basketball is a real world application? LOL

And as far as working out translating to real life I'd question if it does for many people. Like many I sit at a desk all day. I don't work out to be better at sitting at a desk. I work out to be better BECAUSE I sit at a desk.

what if your build came crumbling down on you right now? I think some gym lifting would help to get out rather then being too weak to lift anything.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Most people probably do strength training for their looks over general strength or endurance - especially if they're lifting really heavy, but not many repetitions.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    yes, were all at the gym perparing for the event of disasters, both natural and man made
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    So you're saying basketball is a real world application? LOL

And as far as working out translating to real life I'd question if it does for many people. Like many I sit at a desk all day. I don't work out to be better at sitting at a desk. I work out to be better BECAUSE I sit at a desk.

what if your build came crumbling down on you right now? I think some gym lifting would help to get out rather then being too weak to lift anything.

LOL I get it. If disaster strikes it's helpful. I'm thinking more along the lines of daily life. I'm not saying it's not useful. I guess what I'm saying is our lifestyles generally don't demand we be really really strong. That's why most Americans are overweight. Our lifestyles point us to being sedentary. I work out to counteract that.

Most Americans are overweight from eating habits not so much as less activity although that contributes. I am one of those Americans who had bed eating habits but tried to out run a poor diet. Literally out run and lift.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes, were all at the gym perparing for the event of disasters, both natural and man made

zombie apocalypse is coming.

gotta be prepared!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The deadlift, the barbell squat, the power clean, the overhead press--all functional lifts. You replicate these lifts in day to day life whether you realize it or not. Strong in the weight room means nothing outside of it? When I went down on my 400+ lb motorcycle and had to pick it back up again, what do you think that was? A deadlift. Ever see a mother pick up her toddler child? That explosive hip-jump to get the kid up to chest height in her arms? That's a power clean.

Tell me a half decent climber who doesn't supplement with rows and deadlifts.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The deadlift, the barbell squat, the power clean, the overhead press--all functional lifts. You replicate these lifts in day to day life whether you realize it or not. Strong in the weight room means nothing outside of it? When I went down on my 400+ lb motorcycle and had to pick it back up again, what do you think that was? A deadlift. Ever see a mother pick up her toddler child? That explosive hip-jump to get the kid up to chest height in her arms? That's a power clean.

You mean to tell me I've been a pro at power cleans all this time?!?! :noway: :bigsmile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

You mean to tell me I've been a pro at power cleans all this time?!?! :noway: :bigsmile:

Yup! Most people in the weight room overthink it and don't realize they've been doing it all their lives with much better form than they often employ in the weight room.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

zombie apocalypse is coming.

gotta be prepared!!
    8123590_f520.jpg
    You mean this isn't what everyone else is training for? I mean... it's listed on my profile specifically.