Any young black women looking to get thin?

Options

Replies

• JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just saying....

If someone started a thread with the title, "Any YOUNG WHITE people looking to lose weight?" Then proceeded to try to exclude any non-"white" posters, wouldn't they be seen a racist?

It seems there is inequality in the perspective of political correctness here. It's a blurry line that leads to a never-ending debate. Nobody ever wins this one.

My advice to OP:

There are websites dedicated to people who choose to be identified by nothing more than their, "color." This is not one of them. If you're going to start a thread here, be ready to include all members of all walks of life. By not doing so, you are the one discriminating the excluded party based on the color of their skin.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Don't judge the OP...........
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

You can't be serious?

I'm one hundred percent serious. THE STANDARDS OF BEAUTY VARY FROM THE WHITE COMMUNITY TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY when it comes to the IDEAL BODY TYPE OF A FEMALE............. its very obvious in our pop culture ARE YOU BLIND? Look at Nicki Minaj, Look at Jennifer Lopez, look at rap music videos......

Maybe you should look in other place besides what's on tv honey? Beauty is everywhere no matter what color you are. And by the way, JLo is not black. The STANDARD of beauty has to do what's inside of every individual, no matter what color you are. I’m sorry whoever made you feel like you have to have a big booty to feel like a standard woman of your color. The point is, this site is about losing weight and all races lose the same way, calories in vs calories out. If any other race would have posted this, it would get the exact reaction.

Well I wish more people as good-hearted as you are would have been around........in America..........Three Hundred years ago..........where Black PEOPLE were considered less than human......and put on par with ANIMALS.

It's not 300 years ago. And it was people of all color who was treated this way. A long, long time ago, a man of an unknown color was done wrong too. But, we have been forgiven. GIRL, don't get me preaching in here.

It's not 300 years ago, we've been forgiven and so it should all be forgotten and we should all start being 'color blind' and just suppress our differences so other people can be comfortable!

Right? Did I get it right?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused.... The women on here arguing for OP and bringing up History... all date/married white people...but still feel pressured to have a big booty? I think I'll exit the door slowly now....

For whatever it's worth, that is kind of an interesting little factoid.

Honestly, it probably means nothing...but it's still interesting.

I think it just illustrates that pressures of appearance may be more likely perpetuated by women, and not the men they're trying to impress...
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

So video vixons are black women idea of beauty???...uh no!!! Maybe yours but not mine. Don't speak for us all please.

Edit cause I can't spell today

Girl bye, don't try to act like "thick" has not been promoted in African-American pop culture........and I'm sorry but pop culture is reflection of SOMEBODY's ideals..... it may not be yours specifically........but it is a general beauty standard nowadays for black women to be "thick"......... or at least that image is CONSTANTLY glorified in BLACK POP CULTURE. Just as in the 1920's, skinny was glorified due to the pop culture of the flappers who started the whole "thin is in trend". Pop culture has always reflected the general expectations/standards of beauty......

Just like the all of sudden "natural" hair movement in the Black culture that is occurring and popular right now.................. I'm not saying it reflects EVERY black persons ideals of beauty...... just saying that its a reflection of the general standards of beauty.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I just hate that I have to fear getting banned to contribute anything meaningful to this discourse, as I believe some good could be done by here. You seldom get to discuss things like this in venue with so many different viewpoints.

Two strikes huh?

You should report him...just to see what happens.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    OP good luck in finding some good friends here on MFP. You should be able to look for whatever friends you want:smile:

Have you looked into lifting weights? What are your goals?
  • mycailaw5
    mycailaw5 Posts: 5
    Options
    18 year old Mixed chick. I weigh 165 pounds and wanting to be 130!
  • Achrya
    Options
    Just saying....

If someone started a thread with the title, "Any YOUNG WHITE people looking to lose weight?" Then proceeded to try to exclude any non-"white" posters, wouldn't they be seen a racist?

It seems the inequality lies in the perspective of political correctness here. It's a blurry line that leads to a never-ending debate. Nobody ever wins this one.

My advice to OP:

There are websites dedicated to people who choose to be identified by nothing more than their, "color." This is not one of them. If you're going to start a thread here, be ready to include all members of all walks of life. By not doing so, you are the one discriminating the excluded party based on the color of their skin.

What about all the groups for just men or just women? What about the groups based on body shape? Do you go into threads about that and tell people they're discriminating?

Or is it just a problem when it relates to race?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman of color, but I find some of the comments to be foreign to me (probably because I did not grow around issues involving race or the tension that creates). I mean we see threads like this all the time for shorter women, people who want to lose 100+, people who work night shift, 40+, geeks..etc. How is this one different? A person wanting to connect with others who share a certain thing, in this case black culture.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I'm so confused.... The women on here arguing for OP and bringing up History... all date/married white people...but still feel pressured to have a big booty? I think I'll exit the door slowly now....

I think it just illustrates that pressures of appearance may be more likely perpetuated by women, and not the men they're trying to impress...

I thought this was common knowledge? I don't dress up and do my hair for my husband after all. (He'd prefer me naked and in bed 24-7)
  • wheird
    Options

That is a good point.

To the black women of the thread that get pressured into looking a certain way, would you say that that pressure comes primarily from men or women?
  • JassiBear
    Options

John is absolutely right
    read this article.... men and women do have different ideals of beauty and women do perpetuate a certain ideal body type that may not be the same as what men find to be "beautiful"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2521921/Picture-shows-ideal-female-face-according-men-women.html
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well I'm outta this thread. No sense in even saying anything else.

obama_8dd210_13847161_zps14c965c3.gif
  • wheird
    Options
    Also, consider the amount of "do men like xyz" threads.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Just saying....

It seems there is inequality in the perspective of political correctness here. It's a blurry line that leads to a never-ending debate. Nobody ever wins this one.

My advice to OP:

And to add to this...it is also against the guidelines and the reason that MFP allows for Groups.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I just hate that I have to fear getting banned to contribute anything meaningful to this discourse, as I believe some good could be done by here. You seldom get to discuss things like this in venue with so many different viewpoints.

Two strikes huh?

You should report him...just to see what happens.

:laugh: As fun as that experiment sounds, I have issues with the censorship of opinions.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this in the context of being a guy on MFP (I won't pretend to know what it is like to be a racial minority).

If I were to generalize, I think it would be safe to say the majority of users on this site are women. On more than one occasion I've thought to myself that it would be nice to have more male friends on my friends list.

I'm in a couple male specific groups. Its nice to have guys on my FL since they problems they would have are similar to mine in most instances. That doesn't mean I don't like women or wouldn't welcome them, as others have said its just nice to have others you can more easily relate to.

Reverse Sexism!

Oh wait.

It is fine for women to hang out with women. Fine for men to hang out with men. Fine for a 5'4" apple shaped chick to want other 5'4" apple shaped women to talk to BUT the minute you start talking about wanting to hang out with people the same color as you everyone goes crazy.

Race and religion seem to have a pretty similar effect on here from my experience.
  • JassiBear
    Options

You can't be serious?

I'm one hundred percent serious. THE STANDARDS OF BEAUTY VARY FROM THE WHITE COMMUNITY TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY when it comes to the IDEAL BODY TYPE OF A FEMALE............. its very obvious in our pop culture ARE YOU BLIND? Look at Nicki Minaj, Look at Jennifer Lopez, look at rap music videos......

Maybe you should look in other place besides what's on tv honey? Beauty is everywhere no matter what color you are. And by the way, JLo is not black. The STANDARD of beauty has to do what's inside of every individual, no matter what color you are. I’m sorry whoever made you feel like you have to have a big booty to feel like a standard woman of your color. The point is, this site is about losing weight and all races lose the same way, calories in vs calories out. If any other race would have posted this, it would get the exact reaction.

Well I wish more people as good-hearted as you are would have been around........in America..........Three Hundred years ago..........where Black PEOPLE were considered less than human......and put on par with ANIMALS.

It's not 300 years ago. And it was people of all color who was treated this way. A long, long time ago, a man of an unknown color was done wrong too. But, we have been forgiven. GIRL, don't get me preaching in here.

SLAVERY DID BEGIN IN AMERICA 300 YEARS AGO IN THE 1700'S. I took history class and I am college educated. America is also not the only place where slavery went on or even where it began for that matter. Check your facts boo, then comment.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Just saying....

My advice to OP:

And to add to this...it is also against the guidelines and the reason that MFP allows for Groups.

It's really not.

There is a black person success thread that was looked into and upheld by the mods, who determined it no different that '5'4" apple shaped women with PCOS' threads. It is not against the guidelines AT ALL and has total moderate/site support.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I thought this was common knowledge? I don't dress up and do my hair for my husband after all. (He'd prefer me naked and in bed 24-7)
    Understandable.

ifhgB9S.gif
This discussion has been closed.