WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Back from the hospital and the knee man who was very nice and called Will.
    As I suspected, nothing much to report, apart from a bit of calcification of the cartilage. So it is a shifty patella! Only answer - even more exercise, though I have been working on that knee for a few years now. The thigh muscles are still weaker than the right one. He recommended deep lunges and standing on one leg with a bended knee while you move the other one around. I could feel that one doing something. So I will keep at it. The knee is actually ok at the moment, wouldn't you know, I have most pain from worn out hips when I am walking a lot.
    I bought a skirt this morning as I gave all but one, slightly too large one, away to the charity shop. Black and white - again - but in a cotton material. I've found a few tops in the wardrobe that will do, but I need a short sleeved off white one. I hardly ever wear skirts anyway, but I thought I ought to have one in my wardrobe! Don't like my white, fat legs, my feet in sandals, or my wrinkly arms in sleeveless tops. I'm a lot better covered up!:laugh: Plus I wear a lymphodema sleeve.:cry: Roll on winter! :laugh:

I had a lovely lunch of oysters and mussels before the appointment. I read my history of New York and had a glass of white wine under an umbrella in the courtyard. I made them take away the bread and butter and the french fries so I wasn't tempted, but when the espresso came it had a piece of fudge with it, so I ate it. :blushing: Never mind. I made up for it by having shiritaki noodles tonight while DH had tagliatelli.

Bbq tomorrow for our friends who are on a cycling tour of the New Forest. That is a national park very near here and one of my favourite places . It's not a forest, but a heathland with clumps of trees. Free ranging ponies. Wonderful wildlife.
    The wife is on a diet so I have made alternatives for all courses. Also she doesn't eat red meat. So it's foie gras or kipper pate, homemade granary rolls or light crackers, lamb or chicken kebab bbq, couscous or potato salad, green salad, tomato salad, and gooseberry crumble with homemade lemon ice cream or a slimming homemade raspberry and yoghourt ice cream. She and I should be able to negotiate our way through the food to consume the minimum calories. She doesn't drink and he drinks beer so I wont be tempted to overdo the wine!:laugh:
    I doubt we will be able to eat outdoors, but you never know.

Pamala - we used to live in Kent, in Whitstable. Loads of lovely places to see!:love: Oysters to eat!:laugh: I wish I could have joined you at the French antique market.:drinker:

Carol. - yeah for amazing young men!:flowerforyou:

Heather in flowery Hampshire UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,950 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: Jake loved his Fathers’ Day….all three of his children called him…….we had a good night’s sleep before getting up early to catch the 7:15 AM ferry….it was very cold and we wore enough warm clothes…the people we spent the day with were wonderful…I stayed away from the burgers, hot dogs, buns, chips, and desserts and ate salads…..two ferry rides and the drive across Deception Pass were like a dream vacation trip….we stopped for Chinese food on the way home and ate sparingly so we had leftovers for lunch today.

:laugh: Michele, I made my coleslaw to take to the barbecue and while we were in line for the ferry I took out the information about the bbq to get the address for Jake to program into the GPS and when I read the part about potluck side dishes I realized that the coleslaw was still in the refrigerator at home……so we had to stop at the grocery store and buy coleslaw from their deli

:bigsmile: Carol, you and your “baby boy” graduate look wonderful

:bigsmile: I started my week with more than three hours of dog walking in a light rain---I was soaked to the skin when I got home. I planned the dances for my Friday line dance class and then met a friend for a walk in the sunshine (the weather changes a lot here):bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Maybesaydie
    Options
    The difference in the two pictures is amazing. You should be very proud of yourself. :smile:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today has been a weird day. My BP was so low after walking this morning (100/44) that I was scared to take a shower. So, instead I drove myself around town running errands. In my defense, I'm not too dizzy when I'm sitting. I went to the post office, Walgreens and Walmart. By the time I got home I was feeling a little better (113/56) but still just want to sit and rest.

I bought a tub of Smart Balance butter and canola oil blend, which I had not tried before, so when I got home I ate a small slice of french bread with that on it. It was delicious. I'm hoping a little salt will be a good thing.

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

What's the good thing about having Altzeimer's?

You get to meet new people every day!

:laugh:

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oh right. If I were scared to shower, the first thing I'd do is operate a motor vehicle.... :wink:

But I hope you get some answers soon!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tere, I know what you mean. I loved my ex SIL very much and when they divorced it was like I was divorced also. He was cheating on her and it wasn't the first time and he was a very irresponsible young guy but he was still sweet and would be here in a minute if I or Charlie needed his. It took a long time for me to be bale to talk to my daughter about how their divorce made me feel. I knew I had to support her. Like she asked us to go to court with her when the judge signed their final divorce papers. When I saw him there by himself all dressed up in his suit my heart just broke. He looked so all alone. I wanted tog o up and hug him and tell him it would be all right, just like I was doing for my daughter. My husband made sure we removed all signs of him in our house. And I can understand that a dad is very protective about his little girl. He wanted to throw them away but that wedding was a big part of my life. His picture is in the same pictures as my Moms last days here. I can't throw away his entire life. so we finally talked about it after a couple of years and she says she understands that neither one of us can erase those years from our memories, even she still has some fond memories of him. But just not to expect me to share any wonderful stories of him. so I just keep all my good memories in my heart but still remember that that man hurt my daughter and broke their marriage vows and how she cried on my shoulder many times over his being fired or stretching their budget to many times by irresponsible spending. It makes me so mad to see his face book page now. Why can his wife be a stay at home Mom and afford it. How can he finally finish college and get s good job when he couldn't do any of those things with my daughter. What was wrong with her??? So I let those feelings fuel my anger for him so I can get rid of my good feelings.

Syvia, I remember on Mother's day we were sitting at my sister's table and my nephews wife was holding up a piece of french bread with butter on it. She is like the rest of us and loves to talk with he hands. So she was just yakking away, holding that french bread and waving it around. I was ready to reach across the table and yank that out of her hands and gobble it down so fast she wouldn't know what happened. i will occasionally eat a grilled cheese sandwich made with I can't believe it's not butter and put it on the George Foreman to avoid putting in the skillet. But I don't eat butter bread anymore.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    From CT as well....weather finally nice enough to walk outside!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    Janette,
    where are you in Ct..im in Ct also..
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wish one could reply to specific posts but I don't think one can. Thanks for the support!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cynthia, you are completely right. I do know it was stupid to drive. Hubby also had a few things to say about it.

Joyce, I have not had real bread in so long, this was a nice treat. Hubby will finish of that bread. I need to make some low salt bread again one of these days. Not as good, but not horrible. All I can hope for is "not horrible".

Sylvia
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies, Had a busy day today going to the gym and logging 50 minutes on the bike, doing weights for arms and back. My daughter who is 40 and single goes with me to work out, she is 30 lbs overweight. Then it was off to take her flower and mulch shopping and unloading it all onto her porch. Tomorrow we are going to see how much of it we can get done, hopefully all of it.

From reading today's posts it seems as though all of us are very busy ladies.

Patty from Cinci, I live in Wintersville which boarders Steubenville and about 15 minutes from the Ohio River.

Goodnight from hot and humid Ohio.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,067 Member
    Options
    Pam in the Netherlands. Have you looked into gluten connection to thyroid problems. I realize the US puts more gluten into its wheat products than Europe, but it might be worth looking into. Thyroid problems can effect weight. To jump start my weight loss I did eliminate wheat. white rice, and cut down on sugar for a couple of months. I now do occasionally have wheat products much less than I used to eat.

Finally getting to my spring cleaning. I have gotten most of the big gardening chores out of the way. Now it is maintaining the gardens. Took my car into have an alignment done where I bought my tires. After driving here the past few months with the terrible pot holes I figured it needed it. I also needed some fluids changed. When my car was done they handed me an alignment sheet that didn't look right. It was only after I asked a number of question I found out they did not do an alignment. It turned out something was broken in their machine for testing alignments (the main business of this auto place is to sell tires). I did make an appointment to come back because I already paid for this alignment when I bought my tires. I will call and make sure their equipment is fixed before I return. I won't buy an alignment package the next time I buy tires. I will go somewhere else. If I had not asked questions I would have assumed the alignment was done. Done venting! Not so content today.:grumble:

Today I will ask questions to make sure the work I expect is done, so tomorrow I will have a safer car to drive.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    God evening from New England! Just a quick check in and thanks for all your inspiratonal stories!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I wish one could reply to specific posts but I don't think one can. Thanks for the support!

Use the quote button to reply to one at a time. Is this what you mean? I don't think you can multi-quote, though.
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi. This sounds like a good place for me to check in. I am definitely over 50 and it would be great to have more friends on MFP. I hope I can figure out how to get back to this topic in the future.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Whew!!! What a day! First, got a phone call from DD at 6:50am............I was up but the first thought (of course) was Uh-oh, what now???.........and I was right.............a person they knew and had really wanted for the job became available so they dumped her........somebody up there was hearing me (!!!!!!)..........but I feel bad for DD, losing your first "real world" job after being told the try out period was one week and making it through that plus a few more OK, doing a job you really don't have the training or experience to do was pretty great on her part; but you all know how glad I am she's out of there. Major happy dance!!! Boo, hiss on the owners of the horse farm though for their meaness.

Ladies exercise this am; lunch for the fallen police officer's fund and lots of talk, errands, and grocery shopping. DD got in about 9pm, she stopped to visit a friend at her college on the way and ended up helping one of the professors move.

Margaret.............Terrible about that alignment difficulty; both dangerous and dishonest! Can you report them to the BBB?

Renny............Sorry to hear your mom is doing so poorly. Hope your DD delivers soon............and you feel better, too.

Gloria.........Safe travels!!! Have fun!!

Kim..........Hmmmmmmmm---if you saw that border........

Sylvia........I'm doing the countdown till your appt. too; are you checking for daily cancellations? Please, take care!

Cynthia............Good luck with your appt................hope you get all your questions answered.

Carol...........Love the pic!!! Congratulations to the boy child again!

Katla...........My dad died at 82; I got pregnant the following month and never felt I had the chance to grieve completely; there was so much to distract me with the pregnancy.

Meg.............I love the canned fire roasted tomatoes; I often drain them and put them on salads, to say nothing of soups, stews, etc.

Heather.............good news on the knee!

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 10 Minute Tummy Toner DVD (just one segment), held my plank for 2 min 25 sec, in a bit I'll be off to the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'm planning to do stepping on the AMT. Not quite sure how I can mimic that stepping machine that I think was so great that they no longer have. Can't wait to go up to Jess's next weekend and use the one by her.

Welcome everyone new

Carol - I'm so sorry about your father. It's so hard losing a parent

Kim - my mother died when she was 42. Yes, it IS weird to think that we're older than our parents ever were. I remember when I was 42, it was just a very weird feeling. To be honest, I really don't remember her very much.

Sylvia - whenever I make an angel food cake, I find that I need to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan. After it is baked I need to run a knife around the edge. Do you? when I make my angel food cake, instead of the water it calls for I use a 20oz can of crushed pineapple. This is a weight watchers recipe. The pineapple gives the angel food cake a bit of a "zing"

katla - you know something? I don't know if other homes around here have rhododendrons or azaleas. I don't know what they look like! I THINK we had rhododendrons when we lived in PA. Don't their leaves curl up in the cold so that they are an indicator of how cold it is outside? Do they attract bees? I remember the plant we had in Pennsylvania would attract bees and the reason the previous owner planted it outside the living room window was so that you could look out the window and get an idea of how cold it was outside.

CynthiaT60 - we have a rug in the back bedrooms, around here we have this nasty red clay instead of normal brown dirt. Lowes Hardware sells this Krud Kutter for red clay and that stuff is AMAZING (now you can only buy it over the Internet. Don't know why Lowes doesn't stock it. We buy it on the Internet then have it delivered to Lowes. However, it doesn't get the red clay out of this rug. Good luck at the cardiologist!

Patty - today I did a "crunch free ab workout" on the 10 Minute Tummy toner DVD. If you can borrow that DVD, maybe it'll give you some ideas of things you can do. I remember one of the hard parts of teaching a class was that I didn't want to do the same thing each and every week so I'd look for different ways to target certain muscles. I know the "Play It Again Sports" by us used to sell DVD's, not sure if they still do or not

Sylvia - I'm going to try that Urine Gone. Certainly can't hurt

Carol in NC - way to go girl at Lowes! Very handsome boy you have there

katla - hope your baby is better soon

Off to mahjongg

After the extremepump class, Vince and I went out and mowed the lawn, it needed it. Just as we were about to finish, it looked and sounded like it was going to rain. Evidentally, the rain was to the south of us. But it did make the air a lot cooler.

Then came in, showered, and went to Bi-Lo. Came home and made these spice oatmeal cookies for Jessica. Even tho she won't eat them, the people who are helping her will.

Pam in the Netherlands - yup, thyroid issues surely will affect weight. I know what you mean about missing your veggies. I feel the same way, too, when we go away. Sometimes (if I can) I bring my own

Tomorrow we take Lexi to the vet. Before they do the radioactive isotope treatment, they need current blood work and a current chest x-ray. Hopefully, she can get it done early in July.

I agree that handmade cards have so much more meaning than store bought ones

yanniejannie - doing the happy dance with you

Michele in NC
  • jscoachwife
    jscoachwife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just happened on to the thread on MFP. I will be 52 in November. You all sound like you have it so together. I have struggled with weight all of my life. I used to be able to get by with anything I needed to, but now the weight is starting to limit me physically. On vacation a month ago, my son & I were going to ride a roller coaster & I couldn't because they couldn't get the harness fastened tight enough. Boy was that a downer & very embarrassing! I need all of the support and encouragement I can get. Hope it is okay to join this blog.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread, but I'm having trouble keeping up with people I meet and having to check in with everyone. It's a big commitment. So, I think everyone is doing really well and I love reading about different experiences, but I'm too busy to keep up.

I'm working really hard at a post retirement new part-time career that is eating up a lot of time while I get up to speed. I have three months till a test for group fitness instructor certification, I'm taking a bunch of Zumba classes to get up to speed with having enough dances choreographed to teach a class, and I'm starting a mentoring program with Zumba set up to help new instructors. There's more. I don't think I was this busy before I retired!

Also, even my body is an issue because I started lo like being fit and in shape, so I'm involved with spending a lot of time in the gym.

whine whine whine...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline, It is hard for me to keep up with who is saying what also and I've been here a good while but I have MS. Sometimes, like yesterday and today I have tried to just jot down a name and just one word about what they were saying. I then refer to that in my own entry. usually I just make a general reply and hopefully the person who was talking about it gets the message. But the important thing is to just get here and talk. We help each other through our days, our jubilations, troubles, bad days and good. You don't have to have a name to do that.

To the person who is new and hopes she can find us again, it is under 'your topics' on the message board page.

Hope everyone is safe out in Nebraska with those terrible tornados. I saw a picture of that awful twin tornado. Either one of those spouts were huge enough but to have two.

Charlie got his fitting done today for the partial. Hopefully they will be ready for his next appointment in a month. The dentist said they will have to put some sort of brace sounding thing because he has so few teeth in the one area. While he was doing his jungle training for the Navy he got some kind of jungle rot on his feet and they have been callused all his life. He has terrible varicrose veins and now he has some cellulitis on both of his feet. All 10 toenails are eaten by fungus so he is not sandal ready for summer!!! You can pretty much get in with our family doctor that day or the next if you will see one of his physician assistants. So he sees one tomorrow afternoon. Then he has a check up with a cardiologist on Wednesday. This is the one who takes care of the irregular rythem. He still wants me to go to all doctors appointment with him. He says because I was a nurse I know what to ask. Well how many men have wives who aren't nurses who go by themselves to the doctor. Of course since this nurse wife has MS she may not remember what was said but I do know that he won't listen well. He will hear what he wants to hear and then block anything else out. Like he didn't remember the doctor tell him last year about caution shoveling the snow or working in the yard in the hot humid or even dry heat. No, it won't affect his angina. So I'll go.

I do have my monthly lunch with my old nurse friends. We have one girl that is pretty obese and she picked a pizza place for tomorrow. NOOOOO! I looked on line and they do have salad. I hope it's in the database here. It's a chain pizza place so I hope it is.

Joyce, Indiana where it is turning pretty hot and muggy