Pregnancy 2011 - January

Options

Replies

• Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I think each new life should be celebrated. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ multiple showers or showers for subsequent babies. I had a traditional shower w/ my first pregnancy, our twins at 20ish weeks. I have had different things done w/ many of the rest. Some I had a meal shower, w/ many frozen meals to put in my freezer ready for after baby was born. I have also had a mama shower, lotions, nursing jammies, nursing shirt. Some I had friends bring meals everyday for a week or two. One my friends pooled cash and sent me a visa gift card. Baby things wear out, get out of date, etc I think it lovely that my friends and I continue to cherish each new life we bring into the world w/ some kind of something special.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Side note, I didn't think it was customary to have baby showers for any but the first. I am surprised to see how many people do it. I don't much care for them except I really needed it with my first since we were dirt broke.

I agree, I always thought showers were (and should be) just for the first baby. My friends wanted to throw me a shower for my third since he was a boy (my first two are girls) but I said "no thank you." One of my good friends who had her third baby in October was also given a surprise shower. Had to be a surprise, otherwise she would have said no too. I am not a fan of baby showers either.

I was always taught the same thing about multiple showers. My SIL is having her 3rd and having a 3rd shower. And she wanted to do it. I was asked for this one, but it just made be feel greedy, so I said no. I want to celebrate the baby not really me or get gifts.
  • ckmama
    Options
    This is my first, I think everyone would be really sad if I sad I didn't want a shower. I am the first of my friends to have a baby. I don't mind traditional baby showers but its really fun to get together and celebrate with friends. We did one with my sister where everyone brough a book for the baby instead of a gift and we didn't play any of the "baby shower games" but had like a BBQ. It was really fun. My sister said that was the thing about doing it early, my belly may not be as big but I don't think they will care too much about that. We are going to the beach with friends for a week in early June when I am right at 7 months. After 8 months my insurance won't cover hopspital expenses if you travel and have the baby (wierd I know).

Oh Girl, YES you should have a shower for this baby. I had 3 for my first baby, one at work, one with family, and another at church.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Has anyone seen the show, I didn't know I was pregnant? I am watching it for the first time (on my snow day). It is so crazy. whew.

I think it is crazy, I have never been pregnant and not known it. My boss' wife was 7 months when she found out about their first but she did weight like 400lbs so she didn't look any different.
    I think the show if BS too. I know of one woman, but at 7 months she figured it out as well. I had one woman at work, she was about 400 lbs, but she knew she was pregnant, none of us knew it, till she called in sick one day and said she had her baby. LOL

There would have been no way that someone would have asked her if she was pregnant, she worked hard, did physical labor and was never out sick.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think each new life should be celebrated. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ multiple showers or showers for subsequent babies. I had a traditional shower w/ my first pregnancy, our twins at 20ish weeks. I have had different things done w/ many of the rest. Some I had a meal shower, w/ many frozen meals to put in my freezer ready for after baby was born. I have also had a mama shower, lotions, nursing jammies, nursing shirt. Some I had friends bring meals everyday for a week or two. One my friends pooled cash and sent me a visa gift card. Baby things wear out, get out of date, etc I think it lovely that my friends and I continue to cherish each new life we bring into the world w/ some kind of something special.

Yeah, I guess - I don't do Christmas or Birthday presents for anyone (and tell them not to for me, but grandmas don't listen!) so I'm really not into the passing back and forth of money and gifts, just recycling the amount between various people. I like the meal idea. I might do that if I knew anyone within distance enough that the food would not spoil :laugh:. I guess a lot of it is too that we in TN my family is in Chicago and TX, hubby's spread between AZ, CA, and Germany (MIL lives in Germany), and my friends are all just childhood or HS friends and scattered about the country (world actually, my best lives in Indonesia) - so... I don't really have a bunch of people I get together with in one place who'd like to do a shower or that we get together with on holidays, so a shower or meals etc would be very forced. If I lived where family and friends lived they'd probably do something, since they get together for any occasion, but we're pretty much loners here.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Yeah, I guess - I don't do Christmas or Birthday presents for anyone (and tell them not to for me, but grandmas don't listen!) so I'm really not into the passing back and forth of money and gifts, just recycling the amount between various people. I like the meal idea. I might do that if I knew anyone within distance enough that the food would not spoil :laugh:. I guess a lot of it is too that we in TN my family is in Chicago and TX, hubby's spread between AZ, CA, and Germany (MIL lives in Germany), and my friends are all just childhood or HS friends and scattered about the country (world actually, my best lives in Indonesia) - so... I don't really have a bunch of people I get together with in one place who'd like to do a shower or that we get together with on holidays, so a shower or meals etc would be very forced. If I lived where family and friends lived they'd probably do something, since they get together for any occasion, but we're pretty much loners here.

We don't do gifts for anyone except MIL, FIL and my mom and dad and my brother, simple homemade and only at Christmas. I never expected, this is just how we are as friends, wanting to honor new babies, whether it is 3rd or 11th. One of my friends had her 11th last year. I have two close friends amongst a circle of the four of us. We are not loners though. We are very much out in our community and Church.
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

hope everyone is feeling well today. I found out last week that baby is not a boy as we were told back in December, she is definately a girl! Am still in shock as we had given baby a boys name already lol.

Luckily there's no snow here in the UK right now as everything seems to stop when it snows which is great when you get a snow day but people here seem to go OTT too soon and start cancelling things at the first sign of snow.

Was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a good website or resource for exercising in pregnancy, I did a class at my gym yesterday & was less than impressed with the adaptations the instructor told me to take, she didnt even know that I shouldnt be doing weights whilst lay flat on my back which is standard advice here. any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hi all...
    Im at 16 wks, and women on my baby message board already know the sex! Anyone know the sex this soon? Im dying to find out!! :love:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    hi all...
    Im at 16 wks, and women on my baby message board already know the sex! Anyone know the sex this soon? Im dying to find out!! :love:

We won't find out till 18 weeks but we are doing this test where you can pee in a cup tommorow (after 10 weeks). Its 78% accurate haha so it will totally be for fun! Kind of like the chinese charts but slightly more of a chance to get the right sex.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a good website or resource for exercising in pregnancy, I did a class at my gym yesterday & was less than impressed with the adaptations the instructor told me to take, she didnt even know that I shouldnt be doing weights whilst lay flat on my back which is standard advice here. any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

My midwife told me (since I have been going to the gym regularly for yrs) that I can do whatever I want and feel comfortable doing. I know to twist less though like in Yoga and have finally reached the part where I can't lie on my stomach and do leg/ heel raises etc (so I prop on my elbows and feet or knees instead.) I asked her at my last apt (17+ weeks) about back work and she said it was just fine so long as I did not feel light headed when I got up and get up slowly if so. She said I would know if anything was too much for me or I shouldn't be doing it (I agree). She even specifically said that weights on my back and keeping up the ab works would be good since I have back trouble and am trying to keep a strong core.
  • lee112780
    Options

Thanks in advance

My midwife told me (since I have been going to the gym regularly for yrs) that I can do whatever I want and feel comfortable doing. I know to twist less though like in Yoga and have finally reached the part where I can't lie on my stomach and do leg/ heel raises etc (so I prop on my elbows and feet or knees instead.) I asked her at my last apt (17+ weeks) about back work and she said it was just fine so long as I did not feel light headed when I got up and get up slowly if so. She said I would know if anything was too much for me or I shouldn't be doing it (I agree). She even specifically said that weights on my back and keeping up the ab works would be good since I have back trouble and am trying to keep a strong core.

I'm having a hard time with this too. I used to go to the gym often, now ( since I know I'm not losing) it's hard to get the energy to go! I do videos at home sometimes, mostly leg and butt toning moves. I tried prenatal yoga...it was really hard. It was hard for me to do yoga before the baby because Im not very flexible. I guess I should just suck it up and go to the gym. :ohwell:
  • lee112780
    Options
    hi all...

We won't find out till 18 weeks but we are doing this test where you can pee in a cup tommorow (after 10 weeks). Its 78% accurate haha so it will totally be for fun! Kind of like the chinese charts but slightly more of a chance to get the right sex.

I think I saw that..it was like 40 bucks right?
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight from prenatal vitamins.

So my family and friends in Michigan want to give me a shower. I have been trying to figure out when and I think the only time that works for me is at 21 weeks. Is that too early? My sister said she thinks its okay. I just don't have any time off except that point or when I am 7.5 months pregnant and I don't want to travel 10 hrs that pregnant. Does it really matter when you have your showers? Or just when you are comfortable?
    Just do it, that is a long drive for a pregnant woman and as you enter your last trimester you will in no way be comfortable doing anything let alone driving 10 hrs. Its family anyways so they will all understand.

You may be comfortable later on to travel. I traveled to our summer home in Minnesota (12 hour drive) when I had only 6 weeks left until my due date with my third child.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    hi all...

I had ultrsounds done at 12, 15 and 19 weeks. The doctor said its a girl on all of them. I am having another ultrasound tomorrow at 27 weeks, I am hoping nothing has changed. Wasn't expecting this ultrasound but during my last trip to labor and delivery they found a placental lake (anyone I told keeps thinking I can't spell and that I am trying to say leak) Anyhow, I have to have the placenta checked. I am not really sure what it means but from what I found online it is very normal. Mamatoabunch, have you heard of or experienced this?
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the show, I didn't know I was pregnant? I am watching it for the first time (on my snow day). It is so crazy. whew.

I think it is crazy, I have never been pregnant and not known it. My boss' wife was 7 months when she found out about their first but she did weight like 400lbs so she didn't look any different.
    I think the show if BS too. I know of one woman, but at 7 months she figured it out as well. I had one woman at work, she was about 400 lbs, but she knew she was pregnant, none of us knew it, till she called in sick one day and said she had her baby. LOL

There would have been no way that someone would have asked her if she was pregnant, she worked hard, did physical labor and was never out sick.

Yeah I find that show a little ridiculous. I was actually thinking about it last night when I got up for a bathroom break. At 26 weeks I feel huge and cannot imagine anyone not knowing they were pregnant. Plus this kid is all over the place!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

I have seen it a couple of times. It is crazy. I have no idea how they don't have any signs of being pregnant!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    hi all...

I think I saw that..it was like 40 bucks right?

We had a coupon for walgreens so we got it for 20 dollars. I think its 35 regularly.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    hi all...

We went for an ultrasound last Thursday, we were 16 weeks 4 days and they told us he is a boy! I was a bit skeptical of them telling us that early, so I haven't shopped or registered yet, just in case :wink:
  • LynnW52
    Options
    Hi all,

hope everyone is feeling well today. I found out last week that baby is not a boy as we were told back in December, she is definately a girl! Am still in shock as we had given baby a boys name already lol.

Luckily there's no snow here in the UK right now as everything seems to stop when it snows which is great when you get a snow day but people here seem to go OTT too soon and start cancelling things at the first sign of snow.

Thanks in advance

How far along were you when they told you that you were having a boy? We were told at 16 weeks 4 days that we were having a boy, but I'm wondering if it was too soon to know for sure.

I guess you can never be 100% sure until baby is here.
  • LynnW52
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling baby squirming around in there. When are you able to feel baby moving from the outside? Whenever (I think) I feel him I'll mention it to my husband and he'll get all excited and say "let me feel!!!!", but of course he can't feel anything yet.

Just curious... :wink: