what is it with my wife?!

Options

Replies

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    SAHM here! My issue with my DH is that he doesn't clean up after himself. He works 9 hours minimum, sometimes 10-12 hours, and third shift at that. I don't expect him to do much during the week but take the trash out. However, it makes me see red that he doesn't clean up messes that he makes. He gets a bowl of cereal, leaves the cereal out and the bowl on the table. Empty milk jug on the table. Laundry is on the floor half the time. He leaves empty cans by his side of the bed. I don't mind doing 90% of the housework, but I'm not a maid! I refuse to go around cleaning up behind him.
    So, if you are slacking cleaning up messes that you make, improve on that. If you and your wife both clean up as you go, that cuts down on how long it takes to do the chores.
    Mine too! He is a pig! (Oh I work F/T) but before him, I was a single Mom of three teenagers, and worked two jobs. Now We have a 4 year old (my older 3 are grown.) My house was NEVER as dirty as it is now. I cannot keep up.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Work can be done while the kid is awake to, I did it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    SAHM here! My issue with my DH is that he doesn't clean up after himself. He works 9 hours minimum, sometimes 10-12 hours, and third shift at that. I don't expect him to do much during the week but take the trash out. However, it makes me see red that he doesn't clean up messes that he makes. He gets a bowl of cereal, leaves the cereal out and the bowl on the table. Empty milk jug on the table. Laundry is on the floor half the time. He leaves empty cans by his side of the bed. I don't mind doing 90% of the housework, but I'm not a maid! I refuse to go around cleaning up behind him.
    So, if you are slacking cleaning up messes that you make, improve on that. If you and your wife both clean up as you go, that cuts down on how long it takes to do the chores.
    Mine too! He is a pig! (Oh I work F/T) but before him, I was a single Mom of three teenagers, and worked two jobs. Now We have a 4 year old (my older 3 are grown.) My house was NEVER as dirty as it is now. I cannot keep up.

While we all have our crosses to bear, bottom line is.....y'all picked them to be the father of your kids so what does that say about you?

OP, have a talk with her about it. Hope it all works out for you.
  • fitfreakymom
    Options
    Now mind you if her day keeps going when his is done then he can pitch in a little.
  • fitfreakymom
    Options
    Work can be done while the kid is awake to, I did it.
    S wel as doing all the yard work
  • HeartlessHurricane
    HeartlessHurricane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amen, Crimson.
  • NikkiLynnHen
    Options
    We have three kiddos and it can get pretty crazy. We take turns with giving the kids bath, turns reading the bedtime story, and most importantly we divide the household duties up. Seriously, either way you slice it you both deserve respect and consideration. I would let her know how I feel and ask her for suggestions. Try to be as sincere as possible.
    Ex: Honey, I really want to spend more time helping take care of our daughter. She is amazing and I feel like I am missing out. What do you think about trading duties every other night? I could take care getting her ready for bed and perhaps you could finish the dishes or fold the laundry?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Dunno if I missed it but I'd be curious to know what she's asking you to do that you feel is "80%" of the chores... You may have no idea exactly how much she's done throughout the day compared to what she's asking your help with.

do-all-day.jpg?resize=500%2C509
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would not sacrifice one minute away from my daughter. Period. Now after her bed time, I suggest the two of you team up, and do the chores together.

That's what my wife and I do now, and will do once we have children. No way around it. You're married. You got to work through this together.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Maybe your wife is dealing with more problems than meets the eye. As a SAHM she might be struggling to follow a self-made schedule. Maybe she never feels accomplished at the end of the day as someone that doesn't earn money for her home. Or maybe she gets lonely and craves more social interaction.

I don't really understand how a single-child household could get even remotely dirty enough to cause such problems.. especially for someone that is home all day. While I am a young, single mama I never felt that caring for my child was more than I could manage on top of the basic cleaning within a home. I think she needs some excitement, some romance, and some spice in her life to take the edge off.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are the man of the house tell her what her place is and let her know if she doesn't do what you say you will cut her allowance..
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Dunno if I missed it but I'd be curious to know what she's asking you to do that you feel is "80%" of the chores... You may have no idea exactly how much she's done throughout the day compared to what she's asking your help with.

do-all-day.jpg?resize=500%2C509

There is truth here.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Seriously, just talk to her. She needs to know your expectations, and you need to know hers. If you say nothing, she assumes everything is cool - and vice versa.
    I'm a SAHM of 18 month old twins. I am typing this while my babies nap, because when they rest so do I. I spend a portion of their nap time dealing with 'quiet' chores (depends on your house layout as to what can get done), and the rest is my time for noodling around on the internet, emails, etc. because some nights I don't get a lot of sleep so some mental health time is needed.
    I do as much as I can around the house, but also want to spend time with my girls doing activities like playing at home or going out for walk in the neighborhood.
    My husband is NOT working at the moment, but he keeps his schedule as if he was (he is in diagnosis/treatment for an autoimmune condition). So while he is in and out, he is doing his own stuff.
    My house isn't spotless now, and wasn't when he was working 13 -14 hour days. On the weekends (when he was working) he would take the girls out for a few hours so he got time with them, and I cleaned the house more thoroughly.
    Does the baby eat well? Sleep Well? These things add considerable load to your day. If she has a screaming, colicky baby the quiet time might be the only option to stop her losing her mind.

But only you and your wife will know that. Be grown ups and have a chat.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Remember that Flintstones episode where they switched jobs?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Remember that Flintstones episode where they switched jobs?

442-4-26.jpg
  • 32sami
    Options
    That was so funny lol
  • 32sami
    Options
    FYI, most moms are also up half the night with the little ones.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are the man of the house tell her what her place is and let her know if she doesn't do what you say you will cut her allowance..
    Don't try to get this man murdered.. JEEEZ!!
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could sit her down for a nice dinner one night and tell her you'd like to discuss something. Especially since you work long hours it's unfair for you to have to come home and do chores when you've been playing the bread winner all day. She is a SAHM so she needs to realize that her job is taking care of the house while yours is making money to make ends meet. When I was a SAHM I cooked, cleaned, watched our son, everything. I didn't ask for much help from my husband because I knew that he was tired and busy. Now that I have a full time job and work 40 hours a week just as he does, we both pitch in and do equal amounts of housework. Our 5 year old even helps out a little. This is a touchy situation, though..

I don't know if you're Christians or not, but there is some supporting scripture for this area. If you are Christians, maybe you both can do a bible study together? There's a wonderful couple by the name of Debi and Michael Pearl who have counseled hundreds of married couples and have had wonderful success rates. I've read their books and it's amazing. The one for the wife is written by Debi Pearl and it's called "Created to be his help meet". Michael Pearl also wrote one, you'll have to google the name of it. Very worth reading them both. It most certainly helped my marriage :) In Debi's book, some of it talks about this very subject and explains it in great detail!
  • 32sami
    Options
    Or maybe you can stay home and she can go to work. :)