Pregnancy 2011 - January

Options

Replies

• joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight from prenatal vitamins.

So my family and friends in Michigan want to give me a shower. I have been trying to figure out when and I think the only time that works for me is at 21 weeks. Is that too early? My sister said she thinks its okay. I just don't have any time off except that point or when I am 7.5 months pregnant and I don't want to travel 10 hrs that pregnant. Does it really matter when you have your showers? Or just when you are comfortable?

Around where I live, showers are always held after the baby is born. It is a chance for all the friends and family to come together and meet the little boy or girl. Also, some people do not find out the sex, and in that case, friends/family know to buy a gift for a girl or boy by that point.

Would that be an option for you at all? I think it makes showers so much more interesting when the baby is there
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    So who plans to find out the sex, and who plans to wait? Hubby and I have decided to wait. We like the surprise- and I think it makes it more fun for family and friends too. (at least it is for me when friends have babies and they didn't know ahead. I love finding out when they have had the baby and what they named it)

Also, on another note- friends of ours had a little girl and named her Brooke, the top girl name on my list :-( Guess its off my list now!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    So who plans to find out the sex, and who plans to wait? Hubby and I have decided to wait. We like the surprise- and I think it makes it more fun for family and friends too. (at least it is for me when friends have babies and they didn't know ahead. I love finding out when they have had the baby and what they named it)

Also, on another note- friends of ours had a little girl and named her Brooke, the top girl name on my list :-( Guess its off my list now!

We are finding out for sure. I am a planning freak so it would drive me crazy not to know. Plus I think of it as a halfway to baby reward to find out :D I do see the appeal in waiting though! It just isn't for me.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    hi all...
    Im at 16 wks, and women on my baby message board already know the sex! Anyone know the sex this soon? Im dying to find out!! :love:

I had ultrsounds done at 12, 15 and 19 weeks. The doctor said its a girl on all of them. I am having another ultrasound tomorrow at 27 weeks, I am hoping nothing has changed. Wasn't expecting this ultrasound but during my last trip to labor and delivery they found a placental lake (anyone I told keeps thinking I can't spell and that I am trying to say leak) Anyhow, I have to have the placenta checked. I am not really sure what it means but from what I found online it is very normal. Mamatoabunch, have you heard of or experienced this?

It is a dark area where the placenta is. It is a pool of blood, very common and entirely normal. It used to be thought they were due to poor placenta function, but now it is commonly understand that many if not all placentas at some point have an appearance. It is odd that they even mentioned it and more odd that they are following up w/ another U/S since it serves no purpose at all.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

No U/S, and not finding out if I had one. I am just waiting for my intuition to kick in and tell me what sex baby is :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    We're finding out the baby's sex ASAP, which will be 1/24 (hopefully!).

In our opinions, it' will be just as big of a surprise then as it would be on the day of birth. :laugh: So, we're finding out at 15+2 and then we're having an anatomy u/s is at 20+5 so we'll confirm it then. We just really really want to know. Hubs has refused to even seriously talk about names until we know because he's too overwhelmed. :laugh:
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling baby squirming around in there. When are you able to feel baby moving from the outside? Whenever (I think) I feel him I'll mention it to my husband and he'll get all excited and say "let me feel!!!!", but of course he can't feel anything yet.

Just curious... :wink:

hubby just started feeling the princess last week at 26 weeks, I have been feeling her since about 14 weeks or so but now there is no denying it when you see my tummy move around
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    hi all...
    Im at 16 wks, and women on my baby message board already know the sex! Anyone know the sex this soon? Im dying to find out!! :love:

I had ultrsounds done at 12, 15 and 19 weeks. The doctor said its a girl on all of them. I am having another ultrasound tomorrow at 27 weeks, I am hoping nothing has changed. Wasn't expecting this ultrasound but during my last trip to labor and delivery they found a placental lake (anyone I told keeps thinking I can't spell and that I am trying to say leak) Anyhow, I have to have the placenta checked. I am not really sure what it means but from what I found online it is very normal. Mamatoabunch, have you heard of or experienced this?

It is a dark area where the placenta is. It is a pool of blood, very common and entirely normal. It used to be thought they were due to poor placenta function, but now it is commonly understand that many if not all placentas at some point have an appearance. It is odd that they even mentioned it and more odd that they are following up w/ another U/S since it serves no purpose at all.

They found it when doing an ultrasound during my last labor and delivery trip. I was in excrusiating pain and they were not sure why. I do have a hernia so I am not sure if that is where the pain is coming from. I don't trust much of what the labor and delivery doctors say since they do not know much of my medical history and everything I read says that nearly every woman has a placental lake by the time they are in their third trimester. Not sure why they are following up but it is at no extra cost to me so better safe than sorry.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling baby squirming around in there. When are you able to feel baby moving from the outside? Whenever (I think) I feel him I'll mention it to my husband and he'll get all excited and say "let me feel!!!!", but of course he can't feel anything yet.

Just curious... :wink:

You should be getting close. Of all the times my baby moves, he stops whenever my husband tries to feel. My other son did the same thing. Maybe they can sense the temperature changes in the hands or something. But it is almost a family joke now. Poor man has tried to feel it several times and the baby will be kicking and as soon as my husband reaches over he stops.:laugh:
  • ckmama
    Options
    hi all...

we were 17 weeks, that is the earliest a private U/S gender determination place would guarantee it. Which i know it still isn't 100%. I was glad we paid the $70 because neither of the 2 following U/S at the doctor's have had good shots of the genitals and couldn't say for certain it was a boy. they have the typical turtle shot, but they were blurry. So we are assuming.
  • CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Glad i found this post. My husband and I have been ttc for over a year and i have been irregular. I have just found out that i have poly cyst ovaries and the doctor is recommending that I lose weight to correct it before trying medicine. I am totally freaked out by having this, however I have given it to the Lord to heal me and help strengthen me as I begin to really work towards working out. Just glad to find a thread that talks all about babies!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    SO ladies, I did the 10 week pee in a cup test (intelligender)... and it said we are having a boy :D I know its just for fun... (it was fun actually) but its a guess anyways.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So my Dr's office called and said they have to cancel my appointment today because my Dr. is stuck in Florida, and cant get back due to the snow storm. They want to reschedule with a midwife. I haven't actually seen my Dr in 3 months. The last 2 appointments had to be re-secheduled because he wasn't available/was in surgery/etc so each time I have seen a midwife. So this is the third time they have had to call and cancel. Should I say enough is enough, and I want to see my Dr., or should I just have another appointment with someone who wont even be there when I deliver, and doesn't know anything about me?

I am getting a little frustrated!!!!
  • ckmama
    Options
    That is very frustrating. My Doc's don't use midwives and only in ER we can see the nurse practitioners. I might would see if there is another doc in the practice you can use. Unless you are thinking the midwife is going to deliver you? I don't know how that sort of thing works.

My SIL's doc has watched her thru all of her pregnancy's and not delivered either of her babies. His partner has. Because he wasn't on call when she had them. So there is no guarantee unless you are a scheduled section or induction.

I might would see if I could find someone else. You are getting so far along if you decide to change i would do it sooner rather than later. Missin 1 appt is one thing, but the last 3???
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    So my Dr's office called and said they have to cancel my appointment today because my Dr. is stuck in Florida, and cant get back due to the snow storm. They want to reschedule with a midwife. I haven't actually seen my Dr in 3 months. The last 2 appointments had to be re-secheduled because he wasn't available/was in surgery/etc so each time I have seen a midwife. So this is the third time they have had to call and cancel. Should I say enough is enough, and I want to see my Dr., or should I just have another appointment with someone who wont even be there when I deliver, and doesn't know anything about me?

I am getting a little frustrated!!!!

At kaiser you can see your doctor all you want, but when it comes down to delivery you get whoever is oncall. Both of my children have been delivered by the Midwives. With #1 it was the only person in all of their obgyn dept that I had never seen. With #2 it was the one who put me out on bedrest with #1 so I was more comfortable. I have seen her during my 2 recent trips to labor and delivery and so most likely she will deliver #3 but I have also become familiar with the 2 most oncall doctors there as well. I guess the downside to hmo is you never know who is going to deliver you. Then again my coworker has her hubby's insurance and goes to a private practice, when she delivered #1 it was the only doctor in the practice she had not seen.
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Glad i found this post. My husband and I have been ttc for over a year and i have been irregular. I have just found out that i have poly cyst ovaries and the doctor is recommending that I lose weight to correct it before trying medicine. I am totally freaked out by having this, however I have given it to the Lord to heal me and help strengthen me as I begin to really work towards working out. Just glad to find a thread that talks all about babies!

@ CMenendez
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS and took clomiphene to conceive my 1st. my second was an early blessing and i've been taking Metformin for over 1 yr TTC our 3rd. I was also told to loose weight, but it's extremely difficult to loose weight if you're untreated. the metformin is helping me. i tried weight watchers, twice. I watched what I ate, got a gym membership, whatever. it didn't work, but since I've started it, watching what I eat and exercising more, is actually getting results now! :)

here's a quote from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome
    Where PCOS is associated with overweight or obesity, successful weight loss is probably the most effective method of restoring normal ovulation/menstruation, but many women find it very difficult to achieve and sustain significant weight loss.

metformin is a COMMON treatment for diabetics. i've taken glocose tests 3 x to try and get diagnosed with diabetes, but every test comes back normal. Finally got diagnosed with PCOS and everything is making sense now.

there is an Insulin producing gland in your ovaries, and when ovaries aren't functioning properly, you aren't digesting sugars properly. Metformin is also used to prevent miscarriages in women with PCOS. so it's important that you don't stop taking it until the pregnancy is well established! (after 13 weeks)

Don't take what I say as "word" research it yourself. inform yourself. this is what I found, but feel free to see if you can find something else to either back up or dispute it. :)
    http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20020301/diabetes-drug-helps-prevent-miscarriage

This is what I think may have been the cause of my recent m/c. my gf also has pcos and she stopped taking metformin @ 6 weeks. stopped cold turkey. she miscarried the next week. when she got pg again, she waited until after 13 weeks and slowly weaned herself off the pills. baby was born healthy. no problems! because I knew what happened to her, i thought I was smart about it. my prescript ran out, and I asked the dr for 1 week more so I could wean.
    I cut down my pills from 3/day to 2/day when I thought I was 9 weeks. turns out I wasn't as far along as i thought, (pcos conception dates can be "off" by 1 week/so) so when I actually stopped taking my pills completely, i was only 10 weeks. I miscarried 1 week later.

I still have to talk to my OB/GYN and figure out a plan of action for next attempt, and I want to talk to him about this study. if he puts me back on metformin, there is no way am I comfortable stopping until next pregnancy is well established!!!!
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think each new life should be celebrated. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ multiple showers or showers for subsequent babies. I had a traditional shower w/ my first pregnancy, our twins at 20ish weeks. I have had different things done w/ many of the rest. Some I had a meal shower, w/ many frozen meals to put in my freezer ready for after baby was born. I have also had a mama shower, lotions, nursing jammies, nursing shirt. Some I had friends bring meals everyday for a week or two. One my friends pooled cash and sent me a visa gift card. Baby things wear out, get out of date, etc I think it lovely that my friends and I continue to cherish each new life we bring into the world w/ some kind of something special.
    these are awesome ideas! :D

I think i'd LOVE a meal shower!!! :)
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

hope everyone is feeling well today. I found out last week that baby is not a boy as we were told back in December, she is definately a girl! Am still in shock as we had given baby a boys name already lol.

Luckily there's no snow here in the UK right now as everything seems to stop when it snows which is great when you get a snow day but people here seem to go OTT too soon and start cancelling things at the first sign of snow.

Was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a good website or resource for exercising in pregnancy, I did a class at my gym yesterday & was less than impressed with the adaptations the instructor told me to take, she didnt even know that I shouldnt be doing weights whilst lay flat on my back which is standard advice here. any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

How far along were you when they told you that you were having a boy? We were told at 16 weeks 4 days that we were having a boy, but I'm wondering if it was too soon to know for sure.

I guess you can never be 100% sure until baby is here.

Hi Lynn,

I was 18 weeks and it was specifically a gender scan which cost £79. Luckily I hadn't started shopping! It was the sonographer at the free NHS anomaly scan 2 weeks later that said it was a girl & her colleague took a look too & confirmed it. I did go back to the private scan place & they rescanned me & agreed that they had made a mistake as it is a girl so I am about as certain as I can be now lol!
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I really love this thread, just feel out of place until I can actually TTC, of course that will not be until my husband's boat returns. Every once in a while, I will still peek in to keep this on my topics. Congrats to all those who are due and good luck to those TCing. Great day, all!
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a good website or resource for exercising in pregnancy, I did a class at my gym yesterday & was less than impressed with the adaptations the instructor told me to take, she didnt even know that I shouldnt be doing weights whilst lay flat on my back which is standard advice here. any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

My midwife told me (since I have been going to the gym regularly for yrs) that I can do whatever I want and feel comfortable doing. I know to twist less though like in Yoga and have finally reached the part where I can't lie on my stomach and do leg/ heel raises etc (so I prop on my elbows and feet or knees instead.) I asked her at my last apt (17+ weeks) about back work and she said it was just fine so long as I did not feel light headed when I got up and get up slowly if so. She said I would know if anything was too much for me or I shouldn't be doing it (I agree). She even specifically said that weights on my back and keeping up the ab works would be good since I have back trouble and am trying to keep a strong core.

Thanks for the reply; it amazes me how much conflicting advice is given about exercise during pregnancy even by health care professionals! I was very active before I became pregnant, I was running between 5-10 miles a few times a week as well as going to the gym but everything ground to a halt because I got so sick. I feel fine now but it is hard to find the balance of whats right for me as I dont feel like someone who has never exercised but I have had a long break. Guess I will just keep plodding along with the cardio although my boobs are so huge now I am not sure if any bra will support them enough for even a little bit of jogging I might make do with walking uphill.