Phrases or sayings that really irk me!!!!

Options
I want to try to say this as tactfully as I can because I know that different people find motivation in different places. For me, I really get miffed when I hear or read people say, "if I can do it, you can do it." Or any variation of that phrase. Most of the time I feel like I can't do it or it serves as anti-motivation if it is something that I try to do but fail. If it is something that I have done I can't imagine thinking that just because I can do something, everyone else on the planet can do it as well.

I love the idea that some people will get motivation from something that I have accomplished, but I know that not everyone will be able to or want to do it as well.

Maybe I am just crazy. Is there anyone out there like me? or are there other phrases or sayings that just get under your skin?

Replies

• Larry1369
    Options
    "Basically"

Unnecessary adverb.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    My father's comeback to nearly everything that upsets me is..... "this too shall pass". I know he means well, but it still annoys the hell outta me. :grumble:
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    I think it is meant as motivation by kind people, like "go for it! It's possible for you to succeed to!". But depending on where we are in the process, it can come across as condescending or very frustrating for those of us who have tried for years to lose weight unsuccessfully.

My favorite (or least fav) has to be from Thanksgiving two years ago. After a very well-balanced meal of which I did not stuff myself, I reached for a cookie and my cousin's husband (outdoor biker extraordinaire ) looked right at me and said, "you don't need that." I was so shocked and angry that I put the cookie down and walked away. I KNOW he meant it as encouragement - I surely didn't need the cookie - who does? But ! it didn't motivate me. It made me feel like I was out of control and needed someone else to tell me what to do, which made me feel like eating TEN cookies.

My solution, is that I've stopped telling people when I decide to lose weight. You people on MFP are the only people in my life that need to know. Other people's comments always frustrate and demotivate me.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    "Basically"

Unnecessary adverb.
    You took it in a different direction!

On that note, I'd say "ironically." People are so apt to say "ironically" when really "appropriately" would make more sense. Don't say "ironically" if something is not ironic! It's OK to go without a transition.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My father's comeback to nearly everything that upsets me is..... "this too shall pass". I know he means well, but it still annoys the hell outta me. :grumble:

OMG I hate this one too! Ladies at church would say it to me when they asked how I was doing while pregnant with my daughter. She was almost 2 weeks late and I was absolutely miserable. It made me angry enough that I wanted to slap them.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I had a coworker who didn't like the saying "que sera, sera" it just really bothered her.

oh, the things that irk me are so numerous. but I tend to dwell and am turning over a new leaf!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! But usually i take the phrase how it is meant (with good intentions) and move on.

I'm trying to have a baby. I hate it when people say any of the below:

"it will happen when it's supposed to"
    "it will happen when your not trying"
    "god knows best"

It won't happen when we're not trying...we have fertility problems. I HAVE to try! and while I am some what religious, I can't just leave it up to god. he helps those who help themselves.

I hope you feel better now that you have ranted and know you're not alone.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I know how you feel! But usually i take the phrase how it is meant (with good intentions) and move on.

"god knows best"

It won't happen when we're not trying...we have fertility problems. I HAVE to try! and while I am some what religious, I can't just leave it up to god. he helps those who help themselves.

As someone who struggled with infertility for years - I can so relate to this one! I know they meant well but at the time it was like salt in the wound.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think it is meant as motivation by kind people, like "go for it! It's possible for you to succeed to!". But depending on where we are in the process, it can come across as condescending or very frustrating for those of us who have tried for years to lose weight unsuccessfully.

I know that it is almost always used in an encouraging fasion. But, I always think of diet pill commercials that show professional trainers that try to look sympathtic and smile and say, If I can do this, anyone can! Then, they show their before picture where it is OBVIOUSLY computer generated to make them look heavy. It just bugs me.
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I get irked over the if I can you can too phrase. What if they were talking about brain surgery? Now, I'm smart and good with my hands but I'm not a brain surgeon. You also have to remember that to often people speak without speaking.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    People that say 'like' every second or third word.
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I'm sorry. I really do hope you get your baby. Yesterday if you wanted it...LOL. But people really say, "God knows best."? How thoughtless of them. Now I'm irked at people for you and you are a complete stranger. God is telling you that you will be a horrible mother? That you should not even populate the gene pool. I'd slap them if I were you. Now I've gotten completely off this post. But truly, the best of luck to you and please ignore the thoughtless and carelessly worded comments handed to you.

"god knows best"

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat that!!!!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When people say "just sayin" after they get done saying something...I don't know why but it annoys me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate the phrase, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Bullpucky. I've been skinny. I've been a perfect weight. I've been a little overweight. Being skinny wasn't so great. I was always cold. My immune system wasn't so great. I wasn't physically strong. Honestly? Chicken bacon ranch pizza is better. Physically, I feel way better a little overweight than I ever did when I was underweight.

"Skinny" shouldn't be anyone's goal. Being healthy should be.
  • karistrickler
    karistrickler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The "just sayin'" phrase annoys me to no end! You just said it! I know!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Things people say that irk me?

"Can I be frank with you?" --- No, Lie to me!!

"Truthfully...." ---- Same as above.

"Irregardless" ---- This is NOT a word and you sound IGNORANT when you're trying to sound intelligent by using big words.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I really do hope you get your baby. Yesterday if you wanted it...LOL. But people really say, "God knows best."? How thoughtless of them. Now I'm irked at people for you and you are a complete stranger. God is telling you that you will be a horrible mother? That you should not even populate the gene pool. I'd slap them if I were you. Now I've gotten completely off this post. But truly, the best of luck to you and please ignore the thoughtless and carelessly worded comments handed to you.

I took fertility drugs also and a few of my friends did also they got pregnant their first dose and it took me over a year. Had a son the started taking them again then we could no longer afford it so we quit them and I got pregnant on my own and had my daughter. At the beginning no one could say anything to me, words just don't help but usually people are just trying to help you feel better about the situation. Some times when there are no words sometimes a hug is the best medicine Best Wishes to you and yours

"god knows best"

• qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    The "just sayin'" phrase annoys me to no end! You just said it! I know!

ROFL at this one....I say that to certain people I know for the sole purpose of irritating them.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Things people say that irk me?

"Can I be frank with you?" --- No, Lie to me!!

"Irregardless" ---- This is NOT a word and you sound IGNORANT when you're trying to sound intelligent using big words.

I agree with you 100%!!!! When ever anyone says, can I be honest with you? I always say, no, please don't. Also, I tell my husband all the time that i hate it when people try to use college words to sound smart. You don't sound smart. You sound like you are trying to be something you aren't, and that usually makes you sound stupid.