Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

why can't I stay out of this thread-- oh yeah, because I care :)

this is the plan, make sure and read the "key"

do not go over

if you miss a run, let it go, no making up runs allowed

smilers finish

What do you think about the Hal Higdon 30 week Marathon plan..Even the Novice 1 18 week plan looks good..????

I have seen this one before ande everyone may harp on me for saying this BUT this plan looks just as hard trying to figure out what the heck to do..lol I like simple. I know I know...go ahead and roll your eyes :) HEHE>

It's actually really straightforward. Sit down with a wall calendar, figure out your long run day and write in the workouts on the right days. Every day, look at the workout you have scheduled that day and do it. Once you start writing everything in, you'll get a feel for the plan.
  • likitisplit
    Options

why can't I stay out of this thread-- oh yeah, because I care :)

this is the plan, make sure and read the "key"

do not go over

if you miss a run, let it go, no making up runs allowed

smilers finish

What do you think about the Hal Higdon 30 week Marathon plan..Even the Novice 1 18 week plan looks good..????

I have seen this one before ande everyone may harp on me for saying this BUT this plan looks just as hard trying to figure out what the heck to do..lol I like simple. I know I know...go ahead and roll your eyes :) HEHE>

It was touched on before, but Galloway is really the way to go for you. Most of the other plans, including Higdon, assume a level of aerobic conditioning that you simply don't have yet and might not have by the time you'd start it.

It says if I can run 3 miles 3-5x a week thats recommended...that doesnt seem impossible....esp since I have until about December to get up to that... Ill re-eval right after the c25k program is done..

It the running five times a week and being able to recover that's the issue. You'll definitely be able to run three miles
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    the thing as a new runner is your illiotibial muscle and band. IT Syndrom. This is the muscle in your butt cheek that lifts your knee when you run. It pulls up, it is a faitly small muscle, with a long band that goes down the outside of your leg and attaches at the knee. This is an intricate muscle,, band, and soft tissue. It also has great power over knee alignment.

When you run "continuously" that muscle will swell with acid and start to lose performance. Since your whole body is involved in the run, you have alot going on and that IT gets tired first. BUT- you are trying to breath, and pay much more attention to feet, calves, shins and such.

Next thing ya know- you have a knee wabble, and are out a few weeks, maybe even a month.

SO- the run/walk allows that muscle to recover, over and over, during your effort, or distance.

Planning to run/walk 26 times is a WAAAAAAAY more doable thing, than even planning to run 6 "continuous" straight miles.

you are new
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Discussing the issue of IT Band syndrome is definitely a good idea, but there is some misinformation here that I'll try to clear up.
    the thing as a new runner is your illiotibial muscle and band. IT Syndrom. This is the muscle in your butt cheek that lifts your knee when you run. It pulls up, it is a faitly small muscle, with a long band that goes down the outside of your leg and attaches at the knee. This is an intricate muscle,, band, and soft tissue. It also has great power over knee alignment.
    There is no IT muscle or IT Band muscle. There is only the Iliotibial Band which is thick tendon that is attached to the glute muscle, runs along the outside of the thigh and connects to the outside of the tibia. It does have an impact on knee alignment.
    When you run "continuously" that muscle will swell with acid and start to lose performance. Since your whole body is involved in the run, you have alot going on and that IT gets tired first. BUT- you are trying to breath, and pay much more attention to feet, calves, shins and such.

Next thing ya know- you have a knee wabble, and are out a few weeks, maybe even a month.
    Not exactly. As above, it's not a muscle and it doesn't swell with acid. The IT Band becomes inflamed and irritated from overuse. It commonly manifests itself as pain on the outside of the knee. This is because the IT Band rubs across an nerve in that spot. It sometimes will cause discomfort in the hip or glutes. This is because of the inflammation.

IT Band Syndrome can also be caused by running on an uneven road surface, like the canted edge of a paved road, and from running in the wrong shoe. Another good reason to get properly fitted.

Here is my blog post about IT Band syndrome and how to prevent and recover from it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CarsonRuns

Overuse injuries are not necessarily going to be avoided by using run/walk intervals. It's still possible to have overuse in this case. Walk intervals do not provide muscle and connective tissue recover. Rest does that. What run/walk intervals do allow you to do is go further than your aerobic capacity would allow you to go had you tried to run only.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help there

walking definitely gives the that "spot" in your butt cheek a rest. When you don't have to lift your knee your glute (or whatever) gets to relax for a bit, and it doe's recover (or whatever)

I don't know science, but I know about running

run with a new runner, let them run for a bit, and then poke your finger n their butt, and they will hit the roof, let them walk a bit, and it goes away

haha
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    run with a new runner, let them run for a bit, and then poke your finger n their butt, and they will hit the roof, let them walk a bit, and it goes away

Sounds kinky, but I'll try anything once.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

walking definitely gives the that "spot" in your butt cheek a rest. When you don't have to lift your knee your glute (or whatever) gets to relax for a bit, and it doe's recover (or whatever)

haha

Ummm...are we really talking about running here?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Discussing the issue of IT Band syndrome is definitely a good idea, but there is some misinformation here that I'll try to clear up.
    There is no IT muscle or IT Band muscle. There is only the Iliotibial Band which is thick tendon that is attached to the glute muscle, runs along the outside of the thigh and connects to the outside of the tibia. It does have an impact on knee alignment.

Not exactly. As above, it's not a muscle and it doesn't swell with acid. The IT Band becomes inflamed and irritated from overuse. It commonly manifests itself as pain on the outside of the knee. This is because the IT Band rubs across an nerve in that spot. It sometimes will cause discomfort in the hip or glutes. This is because of the inflammation.

IT Band Syndrome can also be caused by running on an uneven road surface, like the canted edge of a paved road, and from running in the wrong shoe. Another good reason to get properly fitted.

Here is my blog post about IT Band syndrome and how to prevent and recover from it.

Overuse injuries are not necessarily going to be avoided by using run/walk intervals. It's still possible to have overuse in this case. Walk intervals do not provide muscle and connective tissue recover. Rest does that. What run/walk intervals do allow you to do is go further than your aerobic capacity would allow you to go had you tried to run only.

Let's nobody mess up this thread until I can copy Carson's blog address
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wouldn't you have been able to do that in less time than it took you to make this post?

Never argue running with Carson. It just makes you look ignorant.

TIL that Carson's opinions on running are infallible.

Also, your post makes you look a little fangirlish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

haha

Dafuq?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

haha

Dafuq?

you know you liked it. don't try to pretend you were just drunk
  • likitisplit
    Options

Wouldn't you have been able to do that in less time than it took you to make this post?

Never argue running with Carson. It just makes you look ignorant.

TIL that Carson's opinions on running are infallible.

Also, your post makes you look a little fangirlish.

It's similar to arguing with Sarauk. You can refine points, if you have the background, but "I don't have science, just experience" is going to show you up for a fool in the community.

I'm on my phone and it's a real pain to copy and paste links between pages. If only there was a way to find blogs on purpose.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I completed my marathon about 13 months after I started running. I ran a 10k, a 15k and a VERY HILLY 10mile race during the training, and finished the marathon in 4:16:58... I was 35 at the time.

Things that I did that I believe helped me tremendously:
    - proper shoes (as many have mentioned)
    - learning to eat the right foods
    - ramping up slowly (not adding more than 10% per week)
    - reading a lot about running (Marathoning for Mortals, Runners World subscription)
    - running with a local group - I signed up for Team in Training and we had weekly group runs at a local park - in addition, they had coaches spaced throughout the race, encouraging you and checking up on how you were feeling
    - I ran 20-21 mile training runs three weeks in a row about a month before the race and then tapered properly
    - Find an experienced runner to help you through it - my "trainer" (in addition to TNT) was a friend (who turned 69 on the day I ran my marathon), who met with me weekly to talk about how the previous week had gone and work up a plan for the coming week. He took me shoe shopping when I ran into difficulties (when I hit 16-18 mile runs).
    - Become friends with the staff at the local running shop - they are full of great advice
    - Some resistance and cross training
    - USE Body Glide (or Vaseline) if you find you have chafing issues
    - I drank water and Gatorade - never could do the GU

Because of how well prepared I was (great training), I felt GREAT throughout the race, and was dancing that night at the TNT celebration dinner, and went out for a light run 2-3 days later. My only battle scar was a small blister, about the size of a dime.

I started training around 150ish pounds, and ended around 135.

Since that run (in 2002), I have run 5 half marathons, a couple of 5k's and perhaps a 10k (I can't keep the years straight anymore).

What got me to sign up was a 73 year old lady at my gym, who said if she could do it so could I... If you have the time, the correct motivation and support, and a solid plan, I believe you can achieve your goal. Train SMART!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

This is one of the most commonly stated running axioms and probably the most dangerous. It should be stated "Don't add more than 10% in a given week", not "10% per week". Adding 10% per week is way too fast to add mileage. You need to have cut back weeks to allow your body to recover.

Here is what 10% per week looks like, starting at 15 miles per week, rounding up when necessary.

That's an increase for 15 miles per week (3x5 mile runs) to 46 miles per week in 3 months. 46 miles per week is just a little less than my base mileage and I've been running for over a decade. I surely didn't get to 46 miles per week in 3 months. I probably didn't run that mileage for the first 3 or 4 years.

A more reasonable approach would like like this:

Same twelve weeks, but building to 22 miles, giving the body time to recover after new stress (volume) has been added.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I understand the correction - what you stated is actually my intent, I just stated it incorrectly... :) I ran 20 per week (around January/February for an October marathon) for several weeks before upping it, and ended around 50 per week (late Aug/Early Sept) at the max (1 or 2 weeks of the training schedule). I could look up the actual mileage if felt like it since I saved my training calendar.
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can't really give advice on a full marathon yet as my goal is to run my first in 2015; however I have run races up to 14KM and this pretty much sums it all up.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I understand the correction - what you stated is actually my intent, I just stated it incorrectly... :) I ran 20 per week (around January/February for an October marathon) for several weeks before upping it, and ended around 50 per week (late Aug/Early Sept) at the max (1 or 2 weeks of the training schedule). I could look up the actual mileage if felt like it since I saved my training calendar.

No worries. I just wanted to clarify that for any of the new(er) runners that might stumble upon this thread. Interpreting that incorrectly can lead someone straight to the injury wagon. :smile:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

SO- the run/walk allows that muscle to recover, over and over, during your effort, or distance.

Planning to run/walk 26 times is a WAAAAAAAY more doable thing, than even planning to run 6 "continuous" straight miles.

you are new

:drinker: Thank you.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I completed my marathon about 13 months after I started running. I ran a 10k, a 15k and a VERY HILLY 10mile race during the training, and finished the marathon in 4:16:58... I was 35 at the time.

Things that I did that I believe helped me tremendously:
    - proper shoes (as many have mentioned)
    - learning to eat the right foods
    - reading a lot about running (Marathoning for Mortals, Runners World subscription)
    - running with a local group - I signed up for Team in Training and we had weekly group runs at a local park - in addition, they had coaches spaced throughout the race, encouraging you and checking up on how you were feeling
    - I ran 20-21 mile training runs three weeks in a row about a month before the race and then tapered properly
    - Find an experienced runner to help you through it - my "trainer" (in addition to TNT) was a friend (who turned 69 on the day I ran my marathon), who met with me weekly to talk about how the previous week had gone and work up a plan for the coming week. He took me shoe shopping when I ran into difficulties (when I hit 16-18 mile runs).
    - Become friends with the staff at the local running shop - they are full of great advice
    - Some resistance and cross training
    - USE Body Glide (or Vaseline) if you find you have chafing issues
    - I drank water and Gatorade - never could do the GU

Because of how well prepared I was (great training), I felt GREAT throughout the race, and was dancing that night at the TNT celebration dinner, and went out for a light run 2-3 days later. My only battle scar was a small blister, about the size of a dime.

I started training around 150ish pounds, and ended around 135.

Since that run (in 2002), I have run 5 half marathons, a couple of 5k's and perhaps a 10k (I can't keep the years straight anymore).

What got me to sign up was a 73 year old lady at my gym, who said if she could do it so could I... If you have the time, the correct motivation and support, and a solid plan, I believe you can achieve your goal. Train SMART!

Great advice!
  • Fitasticme
    Fitasticme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've never run a full marathon but I've done a half marathon before. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to train. First get used to running regularly and then find a good program to train with. I trained using training tips by Jeff Galloway. Make sure to get some good running shoes to train and run the race with. Plan a regular time to do your running. I ran in the mornings before I started my regular day and that helped me stay consistent. Try to read up on running and get as much info as you can. The more you know the better. I didn't look into it as much as I should have when I ran the half marathon. Good luck on the marathon! It's going to be an amazing experience I'm sure. It was for me! I hope to run another half marathon (my second finally) later this year or next year.