Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I think you exaggerate a bit. The heritage seed movement is all about saving the seeds that our forebears grew. Don't get me started on modern agriculture. Since this thread isn't about that, I will simply say that we will rue the day when we allowed independent family farms to be taken over by Big Ag.

I'm not exaggerating at all. Agriculture has existed for millenia. Our forebearers seeds are not "natural" either. You think thats what a "natural" apple looked like 2000 years ago? The fruit and veg we have today have been so heavily bred as to be completely unrecognizable compared to what they were breed from.

Its funny when people refer to things as being "wild" varieties of our grocery store foods because those "wild" varieties are just what they used to look like a hundred years ago after only 3,900 years of agriculturual breeding instead of 4,000 years.

For example people thing that maize is "wild" corn. Maize isn't any more natural than corn is, its also a product of thousands of years of agriculture. The natural ancestor of corn, the plant that is actually natural, is tesonite, a grass.

This is teosinte

Teosinte2.jpeg

6100373974_2c483064bd_z.jpg

That look particularly edible to you? Its grass. You know how in a park or your yard when grass goes to seed and it forms those little stalks with all those little seed things. Yeah...thats what corn used to be until we spent thousands of years molding it.

Truth is there is nothing in the produce aisle of a grocery store that wasn't created by us. None of that is natural, none of that can you just find growing out in a jungle somewhere.

I didn't just pick corn because its the one plant that is true of, what I said is not an exaggeration. Any fruit or veg in the grocery store has been manipulated for thousands of years to be edible by us and does not resemble in any way shape or form its natural ancestor. The "natural" versions would be unrecognizable, not particularly edible and in some cases poison. Natural almonds for example, if you ate a handful of them you would be dead.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I think you exaggerate a bit. The heritage seed movement is all about saving the seeds that our forebears grew. Don't get me started on modern agriculture. Since this thread isn't about that, I will simply say that we will rue the day when we allowed independent family farms to be taken over by Big Ag.

I'm not exaggerating at all. Agriculture has existed for millenia. Our forebearers seeds are not "natural" either. You think thats what a "natural" apple looked like 2000 years ago? The fruit and veg we have today have been so heavily bred as to be completely unrecognizable compared to what they were breed from.

Its funny when people refer to things as being "wild" varieties of our grocery store foods because those "wild" varieties are just what they used to look like a hundred years ago after only 3,900 years of agriculturual breeding instead of 4,000 years.

For example people thing that maize is "wild" corn. Maize isn't any more natural than corn is, its also a product of thousands of years of agriculture. The natural ancestor of corn, the plant that is actually natural, is tesonite, a grass.

This is teosinte

Teosinte2.jpeg

That look particularly edible to you? Its grass. You know how in a park or your yard when grass goes to seed and it forms those little stalks with all those little seed things. Yeah...thats what corn used to be until we spent thousands of years molding it.

Truth is there is nothing in the produce aisle of a grocery store that wasn't created by us. None of that is natural, none of that can you just find growing out in a jungle somewhere.

I didn't just pick corn because its the one plant that is true of, what I said is not an exaggeration. Any fruit or veg in the grocery store has been manipulated for thousands of years to be edible by us and does not resemble in any way shape or form its natural ancestor. The "natural" versions would be unrecognizable, not particularly edible and in some cases poison. Natural almonds for example, if you ate a handful of them you would be dead.

From cyanide poisoning? Hybridization has not always worked out very well (and I'm not even going to begin to talk about GMOs). The wild Einkorn wheat that our ancestors grabbed off the stalk and ate was VERY different from the Emmer wheat which was popular during the Roman Empire and it was very different still from the Triticale wheats of today. At each stage the amount of wheat gluten increased and unfortunately, wheat gluten isn't particularly digestible. Now, some scientists believe that there is a "cross-reactivity" between the glyphosate residue that wheat now contains and the wheat gluten itself and that is why we have so much "gluten intolerance" of late. Even though wheat is not "Roundup ready" they spray it with Roundup (glyphosate) before harvest to kill the wheat plant and dry the wheat on the stalk and to make it easier to do "no-till planting". Glyphosate was developed as a strong chelating agent and it wreaks havoc in the gut. We would have been better off if they had left the wild wheat alone. Remember that mummified guy that they dug up in the Alps? The one they figured died about 3000 years ago? (I forget what they named him.) He had a bit of wild Einkorn wheat in his stomach but he had a lot more of other things. They said he was very healthy and strong (they figure he got knocked off by an adversary who got him from behind with an axe or something). We have this idea that our ancient ancestors were sickly and weak because we didn't have modern agriculture. Paleontologists are starting to say that our paleolithic ancestors were actually stronger and more resistant to disease than more modern humans. It appears that most of their children made it to adulthood. When agriculture came on the scene, it was a disaster of major proportions for children---infant mortality skyrocketed. And so it goes coming forward. If it weren't for modern medicine, a lot more of us wouldn't have made it to adulthood.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    You said it! *kitten* the millions of people throughout the world who would starve to death if not for modern agriculture and GMO's. Who needs all those people in the Third World anyway?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is teosinte

Teosinte2.jpeg

From cyanide poisoning? Hybridization has not always worked out very well (and I'm not even going to begin to talk about GMOs). The wild Einkorn wheat that our ancestors grabbed off the stalk and ate was VERY different from the Emmer wheat which was popular during the Roman Empire and it was very different still from the Triticale wheats of today. At each stage the amount of wheat gluten increased and unfortunately, wheat gluten isn't particularly digestible. Now, some scientists believe that there is a "cross-reactivity" between the glyphosate residue that wheat now contains and the wheat gluten itself and that is why we have so much "gluten intolerance" of late. Even though wheat is not "Roundup ready" they spray it with Roundup (glyphosate) before harvest to kill the wheat plant and dry the wheat on the stalk and to make it easier to do "no-till planting". Glyphosate was developed as a strong chelating agent and it wreaks havoc in the gut. We would have been better off if they had left the wild wheat alone. Remember that mummified guy that they dug up in the Alps? The one they figured died about 3000 years ago? (I forget what they named him.) He had a bit of wild Einkorn wheat in his stomach but he had a lot more of other things. They said he was very healthy and strong (they figure he got knocked off by an adversary who got him from behind with an axe or something). We have this idea that our ancient ancestors were sickly and weak because we didn't have modern agriculture. Paleontologists are starting to say that our paleolithic ancestors were actually stronger and more resistant to disease than more modern humans. It appears that most of their children made it to adulthood. When agriculture came on the scene, it was a disaster of major proportions for children---infant mortality skyrocketed. And so it goes coming forward. If it weren't for modern medicine, a lot more of us wouldn't have made it to adulthood.
    Really? For one thing, gluten intolerance doesn't exist, according to the researchers that originally came up with the idea. They've admitted they were wrong. Celiac disease is real, but it's still as rare as it was back in the time that Hippocrates wrote about it a couple thousand years ago.

Also, I know of nobody in any academic circles who think of our ancestors as weak. Our ancestors had a lower average lifespan, not from disease, but from being killed by predators. We didn't get to be dominant until the agricultural revolution, when we formed cities with protective structures to defend ourselves.

You make a lot of wild, unsubstantiated claims, with generous use of weasel words. None of them are true of course, which is why you can't support them. Please stop making things up and spreading misinformation.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the informative critical thinking piece OP! Well written and explained.
    You may as well give up arguing with the poster you are banging heads with. They are the biggest woo merchant on MFP and have been for a while.
    I see they have presented exactly zero examples of evidence against your original post. Now, that's low calorie!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

This is teosinte

Teosinte2.jpeg

Really? For one thing, gluten intolerance doesn't exist, according to the researchers that originally came up with the idea. They've admitted they were wrong. Celiac disease is real, but it's still as rare as it was back in the time that Hippocrates wrote about it a couple thousand years ago.

Also, I know of nobody in any academic circles who think of our ancestors as weak. Our ancestors had a lower average lifespan, not from disease, but from being killed by predators. We didn't get to be dominant until the agricultural revolution, when we formed cities with protective structures to defend ourselves.

You make a lot of wild, unsubstantiated claims, with generous use of weasel words. None of them are true of course, which is why you can't support them. Please stop making things up and spreading misinformation.
    The lower average lifespan was also attributable to high mortality rates in childbirth; as more women and infants survived the birth process, the average started to go up rather noticeably.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

This is teosinte

Teosinte2.jpeg

I honestly feel smarter from every science post you post. I learn something new nearly every time! Thanks for all of this and the other posts in this thread and elsewhere. Keep on keeping on! :drinker:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Every time I check on this thread, I see something interesting...
    I wanted to comment on this:
    The wild Einkorn wheat that our ancestors grabbed off the stalk and ate was VERY different from the Emmer wheat which was popular during the Roman Empire and it was very different still from the Triticale wheats of today.
    (...)
    We have this idea that our ancient ancestors were sickly and weak because we didn't have modern agriculture. Paleontologists are starting to say that our paleolithic ancestors were actually stronger and more resistant to disease than more modern humans. It appears that most of their children made it to adulthood. When agriculture came on the scene, it was a disaster of major proportions for children---infant mortality skyrocketed.
    First of all, to the best of my knowledge, the domestication of emmer predates that of einkorn and both were (at least starting to) be phased out by the time of the Roman Empire. I'm not 100% on this so feel free to kick my *kitten* if you know better.

More importantly (and I am 100% on this) the fact that hunter-gatherer populations tend to be more robust than primitive agricultural ones isn't novel at all. It's well accepted that foraging allows a more varied, complete and constant nutrition than primitive locally-based agriculture.

Agriculture won out because it allows for more efficient land usage and, as a result, urbanization. There is precisely one known pre-agricultural permanent urban settlement, and IIRC it's unclear how permanent it was (working hypothesis is that it was a temple complex and "base camp" rather than a village).

In time, humans adapted their agricultural lifestyle (which proved superior from other points of view). The same happened during the industrial revolution, there was a considerable but short-lived spike in infant mortality. We adapted more quickly because we knew more medicine.

Feel free to call it a disaster if you must...
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Asparatame probably isn't going to kill you. But if you're pre-diabetic or have a family history of diabetes, stay away from artificial sweeteners. They trick your insulin response with the promise of sugar that never arrives. Not a diatribe against aspartame in particular, just a word of caution to at-risk individuals.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So glad this popped up in my feed again. I hope the main protagonist here is logging his/her calories from all the goal post moves, deflections and tangents.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Asparatame probably isn't going to kill you. But if you're pre-diabetic or have a family history of diabetes, stay away from artificial sweeteners. They trick your insulin response with the promise of sugar that never arrives. Not a diatribe against aspartame in particular, just a word of caution to at-risk individuals.

I'll have to track it down, but I'm sure studies have shown that aspartame did not spike insulin!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No Aspartame doesn't spike insulin

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/artificial-sweeteners/faq-20058038

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973

http://www.ajcn.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Okay so I admit I didn't read every single post, but my favorite argument is "Well the sun may cause cancer so drink diet all you want!" Uh duh, that's why you should wear sunscreen every single day. I don't drink diet soda or consume aspartame because anything that can cause a migraine just at the smell can't be good for me personally. I don't think you are automatically going to get a brain tumor by drinking it, but why risk it? I take care to avoid the sun just like I take care to avoid aspartame.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you get a migraine from the smell it's more likely to be a psychological issue would be my guess. Migraines are weird.

Also the idea behind that quote was probably more along the lines of "Just because something technically could cause problems for some people, that's not a reason to avoid it if it doesn't for you." I get migraines from the weather changing, doesn't mean I should avoid going out.

Or alternatively, just because there are people allergic to peanuts doesn't mean no one should eat peanuts anymore.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    If you get a migraine from the smell it's more likely to be a psychological issue would be my guess. Migraines are weird.

Also the idea behind that quote was probably more along the lines of "Just because something technically could cause problems for some people, that's not a reason to avoid it if it doesn't for you." I get migraines from the weather changing, doesn't mean I should avoid going out.

Or alternatively, just because there are people allergic to peanuts doesn't mean no one should eat peanuts anymore.

It could definitely be psychological, I just know that is smells and tastes bad and makes me feel awful.

I just think it's funny that people are using that to completely dismiss the others who avoid aspartame. Personally, I think a website that promotes clean eating and avoiding processed food shouldn't promote a man-made sweetener that we don't know for sure is good or bad. Food science is constantly changing. One year something causes cancer and the next is good for you and then the next it's bad! People should learn to take things with a grain of salt. I have a really hard time believing that aspartame is 100% healthy, because we don't know everything.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You could argue it the other way around too though. If you were to avoid everything anyone has said can cause cancer we would be starving.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    You could argue it the other way around too though. If you were to avoid everything anyone has said can cause cancer we would be starving.

Personally, I'd rather wear sunscreen and not risk getting sun caner. No, I doubt aspartame is causing cancer, but I'd rather avoid a man-made chemical like that. Sure, I use a lot of other stuff that's bad for me, but so does every single person. You could argue this ten ways to Sunday, but people are allowed to eat/drink whatever they like. It's like the argument that you shouldn't drink while pregnant. Sure, one glass of wine isn't going to hurt, but some people would rather not take that chance. Neither of them are wrong, just make different choices. I don't understand why everyone on here is feeling the need to be "right". Why can't we just accept that everyone owns their own body and can therefore make choices about what to put or not put inside of it (teehee).
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

It could definitely be psychological, I just know that is smells and tastes bad and makes me feel awful.

I just think it's funny that people are using that to completely dismiss the others who avoid aspartame. Personally, I think a website that promotes clean eating and avoiding processed food shouldn't promote a man-made sweetener that we don't know for sure is good or bad. Food science is constantly changing. One year something causes cancer and the next is good for you and then the next it's bad! People should learn to take things with a grain of salt. I have a really hard time believing that aspartame is 100% healthy, because we don't know everything.

Honestly, this is a website that promotes calorie counting; it doesn't inherently promote clean eating (see: any thread about clean eating where no one can agree on a definition) or processed food. This thread is about how aspartame isn't scary because it isn't. Yes, there are people who it affects with things such as migraines; the OP himself has told people who feel that they are negatively affected by aspartame to not drink anything with it. No one has a problem with it; the issue comes in when people who are in the minority, i.e. those who have aspartame as a migraine trigger, try to tell everyone that they're going to get cancer and/or some other terrible thing because they drink diet drinks.

For the vast majority of people, it isn't going to be a problem. If it is a problem for you, don't consume it. Problem solved.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    "Personally, I think a website that promotes clean eating and avoiding processed food shouldn't promote a man-made sweetener that we don't know for sure is good or bad"

Do you mean this MFP website?

I'm not sure its philosophy is to promote clean eating and avoidance of processed food - my understanding is that it is to promote weight management by calorie counting.
    That may or may not include clean eating or avoiding processed foods. That is up to the users but is not the aim of the site.

Also nobody is promoting aspartame - saying something is not scary and is safe to use is not promoting it - it is just stating the fact that it is not scary and is safe to use.

Also you do realize sun screen has "man made chemicals"?
    Sort of blows your logic out of the water.
  • TwelfthLady
    TwelfthLady Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally think a better question would be:
    Shouldn't we be breaking our dependency on needing "sweet" flavors altogether?

Sugar, be it natural or artificial gives your body no nutritional benefit so if you're trying to cut it out of your diet to lose weight, you're better off just getting rid of your desire for sweet flavors for good and instead putting things in your body which will actually benefit it.