GET RICH QUICK!!!

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    What if you had to choose between the following:

OPTION 1) Get rich quick, but spend all the money and be poor again, just as quickly - possibly even poorer than you started

or

OPTION 2) Take some time, earn your wealth, and learn how to preserve it.

Which would you pick?

It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better. I want a lasting wealth... even if it means I have to work for it. I don't want a flash in the pan that disappears in a heartbeat - potentially leaving me scarred in the process... I want something sustainable. Something lasting. Something I can pass on to my kids after I am gone.

And yet - so many topics on this site are focused on helping people achieve OPTION 1... some VLCDs, cleanses, fad diets, starvation and the like - abound a plenty.

So many people seem to think that they'll be the exception to the rule - that they'll lose weight super fast, turn into this low fat, ripped, amazing sexy creature, and keep that body for EVERRRRR.... and yet they don't learn the proper tools to preserve the wealth they achieve (if they even achieve it in the first place!)

And it's kinda ridiculous.

Take this thread as an encouragement - you didn't gain weight overnight...
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOSE IT OVERNIGHT!

I challenge you to ALLOW YOURSELF...
    - GRACE to lose weight slowly. Adjust your timelines to allow yourself time to change the way you approach food.
    - ROOM to make mistakes... no one can do this perfectly! You will have days where you feel like you have failed. It is OK. Just keep trying.
    - FREEDOM to have those foods you feel you cannot live without. Find a way to fit an occasional treat into your life
    - PERMISSION to love yourself as you are, knowing that you are working towards being healthier.
    - REALISM... set realistic goals for what you want to look like... recognize your body type and see what thinner versions of those body types look like. (If you have a massive chest, you likely won't look like Kate Hudson when you lose your weight!)

Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

Train for your marathon... you don't have to run it the first time you lace up your shoes...

VIP - Very Important Post
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Agree 100%, sadly you're probably preaching to the choir. Based on the number of "everyone is different" posts I've seen over the years common sense, logic and science are nowhere near as persuasive as Dr Oz..........

One starfish at a time...
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    YES-YES.gif
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Love you Sandy - thanks for this wonderful post!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Really hope that the OP does not mind that I stole this and put it on my blog.. It truly helps sometimes to look at things with a different perspective. This is a great post, thanks for putting this down!!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    The truth!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Really hope that the OP does not mind that I stole this and put it on my blog.. It truly helps sometimes to look at things with a different perspective. This is a great post, thanks for putting this down!!

I'm very flattered! Thank you!
  • Eye think eye sea the whole in OP's theory.

What about people who inherit there wealth? :huh:
  • MireyGal76
    Eye think eye sea the whole in OP's theory.

They may inherit their wealth, but once they come into their inheritance they still have to make proper choices or else they can squander it all.

In a way, I am like that. . I've never been obese, but I took my size and shape for granted, I ate irresponsibly and was inactive... I gained weight.

I decided to fight to get back to where I was, and in fact got better than where I was... But I still have a tendency to blow it, I still need to work on my relationship with food... And I need to blow less of my calorie budget on crap food.

So, no "whole" at all. :)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    I'm living proof.

I did 1200 calories, went to bed hungry every night. Every night.
    I was tired all the time even though I was going to bed early so I wouldnt be tempted to snack.
    I was irritable.
    I was shedding hair more than usual.
    I lost 28 lb. in four months.
    And my gall bladder. Seriously. My freaking gall bladder.

Did you know you can trigger gall stones and excruciating gall bladder attacks if you lose weight too quickly? I didn't. I know now.

I plateaued for two full years. During some of which I ate at maintenance while recovering from gall bladder removal. I was actively trying to lose weight for most of those two years and failing because I had ruined my metabolism.

After a break, I'm back to try again. Eating above my BMR and below my TDEE and will be starting weights in the next few months if I can gain access to a gym. Small town. Limited choices. And kicking myself because I could have been at goal weight with an intact gall bladder and a less scarred psyche if I had read some awesome stuff on here a little sooner. One of my first posts on my previous account was about peoples thoughts on cleansing as a jumpstart. And I think it was a regular named Taso who told me (in a not mean sort of way) that it would be a waste of time and money. I didn't listen and ended up nearly pooping my pants because cleanse is a euphemism for thunder from down under diarrhea.

So TL;DR,

Be the turtle, not the rabbit. And try not to lose any organs.
  • MireyGal76
    @maggie... I am so sorry that you had to go through that! Thank you so much for sharing!!! I hope that by sharing, you are able to help others see how bad it can be!

All the best to you!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    @maggie... I am so sorry that you had to go through that! Thank you so much for sharing!!! I hope the thy sharing, you are able to help others see how bad it can be!

All the best to you!

I'm sharing it as much as I can so that others will realize what they are doing to themselves.
    Thank you for all the help you give other people. You're one of the women who got me hooked on lifting. My #s are pretty low but I'll be working on it. :) at the risk of gushing like a groupie, you're a rock star round these parts.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched:
  • krzykatmomma60610
    krzykatmomma60610 Posts: 7 Member
    Excellent post!
  • Eye think eye sea the whole in OP's theory.

They may inherit their wealth, but once they come into their inheritance they still have to make proper choices or else they can squander it all.

In a way, I am like that. . I've never been obese, but I took my size and shape for granted, I ate irresponsibly and was inactive... I gained weight.

I decided to fight to get back to where I was, and in fact got better than where I was... But I still have a tendency to blow it, I still need to work on my relationship with food... And I need to blow less of my calorie budget on crap food.

So, no "whole" at all. :)

doh.jpg
  • :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    This post deserves a :flowerforyou: and :drinker: and :smooched:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    OP is based on a false dichotomy, specifically leaving out a number of other reasonable options for end result.

The community deserves better.

Hey everyone remember that time dbmata was such a helpful influence for people and posted that great thread?

Neither do I.

:mad:

QFT

ETA I just realized this was stickied! Huh, the mods must believe the community already got their "better" right here. :drinker:
  • MireyGal76
    OP is based on a false dichotomy, specifically leaving out a number of other reasonable options for end result.

The community deserves better.

Well, how about you create a thread highlighting the number of other reasonable options out there... As long as they agree with the TOS of this site, there's nothing stopping you.

This is an option, a sustainable, manageable, and achievable plan... If you'd rather do something harder, or different... By all means... Get to it.