WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• rondaoaks
    rondaoaks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this blog. I'll be 50 in August(that doesn't seem real). I'm very discouraged lately. I lost 65 pounds on a very strict diet. In the 6 months since I hit that weight loss, I have gained back about 30. It didn't help at all that we just returned from two weeks of vacation. I pray that I will at least get back to where I was a few months ago.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Karen from Texas, I am sorry to hear about your cocker…:brokenheart: :brokenheart: ..our pets are part of our family and their loss is devastating
    how much protein do you have in your daily eating? That might make a difference….about “cheat days”—they work for people who can have a bit of something but for me, once I start certain foods, I go way off track and have trouble getting back.

:bigsmile: Drkatie, I’m so happy to hear that your cat is home….we have had several scary experiences with cats out all night and it’s terrible.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, Mimi had a great suggestion about each person being responsible for her own meals. My hubby and I have many days that are “find it and fix it” which means that we’re each responsible for our own meals---timing and choice of food…it works great.
    :bigsmile: Heather, Sri Lanka sounds like an awesome place to go for a trip especially in the winter. I look forward to : hearing about your plans and the actual trip when you go.

:flowerforyou: Deb A., I retired from teaching first grade in public school when I was 58….a colleague who had retired in her 50’s told me that I’d know when it was time….someone mentioned “quality of life” to me and that helped me realize that money wasn’t everything. I’ve been retired for ten years and haven’ regretted my decision.

:flowerforyou: Beth, your birthday is a great time to recommit to important goals…..happy birthday

:flowerforyou: Manc Lass, your eating plan sounds very sensible to me and something that you can stay with for a long time.

:flowerforyou: Avalisa, welcome…..yes, you can refrain from eating the cookies that your daughter made……if losing weight and getting healthy is your top priority then it is more important than whether your daughter’s feelings are hurt by your refusing to eat the cookies.

:bigsmile: Welcome to everyone who is new on this thread….keep coming back and make posting a regular habit even if you only post a sentence or two.

:flowerforyou: We were invited to a bbq for the 4th and decided that going out for “recreational eating” wasn’t a good idea so we invited a friend over a for a meal that we’ll prepare according to the healthy way we eat…..we can’t stay up late enough to watch the fireworks (it doesn’t get dark until 10PM here) so I have the DVR set to record two Independence Day celebrations on TV and we’ll watch them on Sunday. Our neighborhood doesn’t allow fireworks so it should be quiet enough here so our pets won’t be scared.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington j=

:bigsmile: 22,000 steps today----two line dance classes

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

July Resolutions
    *work in the yard twice a week for an hour
    *brush the dogs’ teeth once a week
    *brush the cat’s fur twice a week
    *plank twice a week
    *yoga once a week
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th Eve! I've got my hat, I'm all ready. :bigsmile:

Life's been crazy, sorry I haven't had the time to check in with all of you. Sooooo busy with gardening!

Here's the garden report --

Thyme and oregano havested, dried and packaged, sage & rosemary still drying upstairs. Parsley and basil plants growing up nicely.

25 lbs potatoes dug, cleaned and stored.

Fall potatoes planted a couple of weeks ago.

Late green beans, late cukes & late summer squash seeds sown, earlier plants just about ready to start producing.

Summer spinach & lettuce seedlings growing nicely in partial shade.

Tomatoes have set fruit, big beautiful green orbs hanging around on the vines.

Early corn, head-high by the 4th of July :laugh: and starting to tassel.

2nd crop has reached the traditional knee-high.

Garlic all dry in the garage and ready for braiding.

Bringing home buckets of berries, lettuce, chard, beets, carrots, broccoli, and oh my gosh do I ever love raw kohlrabi!!

Florence fennel soon, and English (shelling) peas.

Growing quinoa this year, the plants are beautiful! They look like lamb's quarters, but have a reddish tint in the whorls of leaves at the top.

Onions starting to make bulbs, Walla Wallas will be first to harvest.

Time to start thinking about starting seeds for fall crops of broc, cab, cauliflower and more kohlrabi.

Forgot to plant Brussels sprouts this year, oopsie. Oh well.

Flowers doing great at the house, a few of the dahlias are blooming now. Picking bouquets of fragrant stocks for the house.

Still pruning hail-shredded leaves off of the hostas, they sure took a beating.

Watering like crazy now, the ground sure dries out in a hurry. Need to mulch.

Hoping July is a fabulous month for everyone!! :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in garden-heaven Portland :glasses:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of the Seriously Strong with Gin Miller DVD. It really would be better with the bar, but I don't have a set at home, just free weights, so I modified.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do some HIIT. Haven't done that in a while. Update: forget that. It's 4th of July which means the Y won't open until later. Gotta think of something else, maybe a rebounder DVD

Sandy - I always freeze food. The worst part is remembering to take it out in time to have it defrosted. But otherwise, food that I cooked weeks ago is still good. Hope this works for you

Jess and Kris will be flying to Maine for a wedding so I made some chocolate cookies for her to take and I have the butter softening for some sugar cookies. I'm sure after the wedding they're going to spend some time with his parents.

firststepform - welcome back!

Alison - happy belated birthday from me, too.

Patty - sounds like you have great plans for tomorrow. Have a wonderful day! We probably won't be doing anything special

Boy, is Lance really giving us attitude about taking his insulin. This morning it took Vince and I together to give it to him.

Went to Mexican Train Tuesday night. The gal was making hot dogs, sausage or brats. I actually took a veggie burger with me. I can't remember the last time I had a hot dog! I took a veggie burger and a portobello mushroom. You know, I felt so full and so much better than if I'd had a sausage. I took some cherries with me. It's interesting how people always say "I'm trying to lose weight" but some of the foods they bring! I just smile to myself

Alison - I remember when my kids were little, I'd always buy them brightly colored bathing suits because when we'd go to a public pool, it just made it so much easier for me to find them.

So many people have asked for the squash cookie recipe, so here it is:

Source: AllRecipes
    Use any winter squash
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash
    2-1/2 cup AP flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2tsp cinnamon
    1/2tsp salt
    1/2tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1 cup raisins
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1-1/2 tsp baking powder
    Preheat oven to 375.
    In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and squash. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices; add to mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in raisins
    Spoon onto cookie sheets spacing cookies 2 inches apart
    Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, until edges are golden
    Per recipe: 30 servings
    Calories: 171
    Fat: 7.8g
    Chol: 22mg
    Sodium: 151mg
    Carb: 24.4g
    Fiber: 1.4g
    Protein: 2.3g
    These spread and rise.

Although the recipe calls for winter squash, I used the yellow kind that is in season right now and that worked just fine.

Mimi - have a great vacation

DeeDee - I didn't always carry the boxes up the three flights of stairs. Sometimes I did but sometimes Vince would bring the boxes up to the second floor and then I'd take them from the second to the fourth. He didn't want to leave our cart unattended, which I can understand. And besides, I didn't mind the steps. It did dawn on me, tho, that I needed to go slower than a 20 or 30-something. But I did it. It's also interesting how it seems to be taking Vince much longer to recover than me. Looks like it'll be nice weather. We need to empty the rock that is in the dumpcart attached to the tractor so that Vince can unhook it and we can cut the grass. I bet we'll do that tomorrow. Update: We did it today

Since it's threatening to rain, tonight I'll probably make the sugar cookies for Jessica.

Beth - happy early birthday!

Heather - wonderful NSV for you! Thanks for sharing

Everyone in the storm's path -- stay safe.

jane - so sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you get the townhouse if you like it. Grandkids make things so much better.

avalisa - welcome! To me, that is one of the hardest things to do, not hurt someone's feelings by not eating what they went out of their way to make you. Even if you really don't want it.

Laurie - good for you making something healthy! When I have overripe bananas, I peel them and then freeze them. That way I always have some available to me.

After exercising had breakfast (I did have some cherries before I exercised. I don't like to exercise on an empty stomach). Then guess what we did? Really, the main reason was because we had rock in the dumpcart attached to the tractor which we needed to empty so Vince could use the tractor to cut the lawn (well, really the weeds). While he used the tractor, I used the pushbehind mower and then the weedwacker, then swept the sidewalk and driveway. Then guess where I went???? Vince was just out at the pool putting Rover (robotic cleaner) in it, it's thundering. I suspect this might very well pass us by.

hearthwood - I have to log every day, too. Otherwise I just know that I'll fall off the deep end.

Sylvia - good for you not gaining! That's terrible about your son. Good thoughts being sent to your friend for her grandchild

Carol in Monroe - I love beets, especially the golden ones

Lanace has been giving us such problems taking his insulin that Vince just finally said "this is rediculous, he just won't get it for a while". Not that I can blame him one tiny bit.

Michele in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    HAPPY 4TH JULY people.

Woke to rain again, gotta love Australian winters. Tummy still bloated and gastro a little on waking but cut food calories and salt down.

We grow fruit and veg here organically, taste sensation. We have a small orchard of apple, pear, cherry and plum trees; blueberry, redcurrant, gooseberry, raspberry and blackberry bushes and 4 rhubarb plants.. We grow potatoes, carrots, salad stuff, zucchinis.

We retired to Tasmania in 2005 after 25 years as cancer research scientist at Peter MacCallum Hospital in Melbourne, Victoria. We sold our big house for a cute smaller house made of Western red cedar, which is cosy and we love it.

We do a lot of walking, many walking tracks near home as it is a holiday island and very pretty.

I did body building 1980 to 2000 whe the statins started lysing my muscles and had to retire and come off them late 2004. On Lipidil now which suits me better.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL THE AMERICAN VITAMIN F's !

Hope you all have a healthy and balanced long weekend!

Saw lots and lots of American cars driving on the Canadian highways today! They must have
    got a head start....

Best to all,

BJ, SWOnt, CA
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Happy July 4 to all. I work 3 12 hour shifts this weekend but enjoyed the last 4 days off:-)
    Did another day of week 1 C25K. Also made it to karate class. Hoping to stay on track. Taking it one week at a time:-)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am very much behind reading posts. Back to work and crazy busy. DD is sleep deprived with newborn. Wish I could spend more time with newborn grandson. But that's life.

Allison - happy birthday. I think I missed that post.

Sylvia...the cat story. Now, there's a one to remember. omg

I was thinking of some of the posts here in the past and more recently, where I continue to learn that "moderation" just does not work for me. We learn a lot from each other, don't we.

I called my mom this morning before I left for work. She wondered why I called!!! It's not as though she was not on her deathbed just recently, duh. If she lives to be 104, I swear I will have to die first.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love to all my Vitamin F buddies. And HAPPY JULY 4TH!!! to all my American friends.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in joining this group! I am concerned that I am becoming addicted to reading everything here and on so many other forums, I will never get anything done! Love the support, ideas, tips and conversation! Add me please... and bump for the questions, back soon.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, so glad you had a great holiday, your dogs are well and glad to be back home. I fear some day you are going to have to deal with your son getting his infusions. I don't think you can fully deal with your feelings about his illness until you share this experience with him. This infusion is his life line right now and may be for a long long time. Will be praying for you.

We are looking forward to our visit in Louisville tomorrow with my daughter and family and even finding something to eat at Joes Crab Shack. Then my sister called this afternoon and said her husband came up with this idea to call my brother who lives in Cincinatti and see if they would want to meet at the Spaghetti Factory in Louisville, He didn't know we were going to Louisville. It wasn't just my brother, it was him, my SIL and her Mom, their son and girl friend/fiance'/don't really know what she is now that nephew isn't sure what he wants, and their two wonderful children. My husband doesn't really want to share his time with my daughter and family but he says he will do whatever the family wants to do. So now there will be 16 of us!!! I hope they are prepared for a family that loves to laugh and laugh and laugh some more. I haven't seen my brother for several months and my sister hasn't seen them since Christmas. I have looked at their menu and they have a nice senior menu I can order off of or I think they have combo platters my husband and I or my daughter who is on a diet can order.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th July to my American friends :flowerforyou:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Heather – your salad sounds good! Glad you had those tomatoes for that instead! Your DDIL sounds great; I wish I had her here to learn from, I can say no just fine; but the minute someone pushes I cave:grumble: :grumble: !!! Sri Lanka !!! wow; so I know Nothing about Sri Lanka except that clothing labels sometimes say stuff was made there - what made Sri Lanka tempting?
    Congrats on making it in the heat with success!!!!

Alison – I would have been so worried about your DGD…. Glad she was found safe and sound.

Sylvia – zucchini grow really really fast!!:laugh: But the great big ones are fun to stuff, or to grate and add to stir fry…
    Congrats on keeping your weight constant over vacation! Maybe there was more sodium in something than you figured and that is the bloatty gig?
    Keeping good thoughts on your friends grandbaby!

Melody – love the idea to do errands/short trips by walking – I really need to get out of my car more!

YannieJannie – welcome home – hope the weather is not too bad

JaneMartin – good luck on the townhouse – sorry to hear you had a friend pass:cry:

Avalisa – welcome; you can eat one if you have the calories to fit it in and if you are the type to have one…just one…. I could do that – sometimes… but some of the gals here have found that they have to say no… So as so much in life is “the decision is yours”

Joyce – I am probably the queen of clueless when it comes to medical stuff – but you did a great job of explaining it in regular English!!! Thanks. I am glad to hear they are changing up your meds to get you to the doc appointment and that you have an appointment.
    Glad to hear you will be a restaurant that has stuff that will be good for you. It will be fun to see everyone.

JB – what a great garden!!!

Lestan – Sounds like you have a great garden, and have had an interesting life – Body building is not something I have ever thought about doing.

Renny – Love hearing about your mom – mine would be just as independent!

Voitdancer – welcome

Hope all in Arthur's path are safe!!! I invited myself to the neighbors BBQ for tomorrow - they always do it and always tell me to join in but late after I have eaten so today I asked if I could come tomorrow and could I bring something... They asked me to bring dessert :ohwell: They are dieting too, but I found out they are not counting calories or trying to eat healthy on holidays, weekends or special occasions...no wonder they have not lost much - I am going to make gelato, I found a recipe that calls for non-fat milk and lots of fresh fruit - think I'll make blueberry! Tomorrow am is check in time; hoping I am at what I was 2 weeks ago - one week of camp where I lost it and then a recovery week --- so if I am in the same place as I was before camp I will be pleased!

Today’s step count: 14,989
    Kim from N. California
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Scary! We have three bears in our neighbourhood. Last night, our neighbour's security camera caught the big male following a woman walking her leashed dog, without her knowing, past our place! Today,, we saw the wildlife officer unloading a bear cage 7 doors down! And that, folks, is why I don't take walks towards dusk! Even my husband decided to drive to the mailbox tonight!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim from N CA: Freezing individual portions of meatloaf is a great idea!:bigsmile:

Heather: DH hates to travel and won’t fly anymore, so we are limited in our adventures. We have done a couple of long car trips and I’m hoping we can do more. I so admire all your trips to foreign lands, and exotic places as well as those closer to home. Congratulations on the great NSV. Working outdoors in the heat without getting overheated is clear evidence of better health.:glasses:

Alison: Happy Birthday!:drinker:

Yanniejannie: I read a book about the pony round up on Chincoteague when I was a child in grade school. The book was Misty of Chincoteague. I envy your trip there. Remember all the westerns when we were kids? I was a fan of Silver, Scout, Champion, Trigger, Buttermilk, Flicka & Fury. Never mind the actors.:wink::laugh:

Avalisa: Welcome to a great group! Where are you from? Decide how many cookies you can eat, give the rest to your daughter’s friends and get them out of your house. Maybe she can invite her friends all over for a cookie eating party. Come back here often for support.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m glad you’re home. Sorry to hear about your friend’s grandbaby.:flowerforyou:

Rhondaoaks.: Good luck to you. & welcome to a great group. I’ve lost and regained before, too. Now I’ve lost what I want and am sticking around for support in keeping it off. :flowerforyou:

JB: My snow peas are done and I plan to pull them up and plant purple pod beans in their place. I hope they’ll provide a fall bean crop. I chose purple pod beans because they taste great and I can see them to pick them. They turn green when cooked. It is neat that you’re growing quinoa. How much space does it take to get enough to be worthwhile? I'd love to see a picture of the growing plants.:flowerforyou:

Lestan48: Welcome! I’m happy you’ve joined us. I wonder what you mean by “statins started lysing my muscles.” I know what statins are, but I’m stumped about what they did to your muscles.:huh: :flowerforyou:

We got our vacuum back today! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: DH hasn’t had time to install it yet. I took our dog to the Vets for a couple of nights so he won’t have to endure the noise around here tomorrow. The fireworks display is right in front of our house and it is NOISY here. I love the fireworks and the pops and bangs don’t bother me a bit, but the dog gets upset. He doesn’t much like the vet’s, either, but it is the lesser of two evils.

Happy Fourth of July!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Heather: I must be missing something but how would using the same amount of water using the watering can or a hose make any difference? The hose would definitely be easier.

Sylvia: like the story about the cat with two houses. Bob Dole, haha. Strength to you with your son.

Yanniejannie: sounds like you had a blast!

Alison: take a nap! That’s an order! :flowerforyou:

Joyce: thanks for the info about the test. When is your next appointment?

Avalisa: as Kim says, you can also choose to eat a cookie; just log it and try to make room at another meal. Log everything, even when you’re over your calories.

Jb: wow, where do you store it all??

Michele: is there another way Lance can get his insulin? I only know about thyroid medication, but if you’re injecting him maybe there are pills you can get in him with a pill shooter. There was also an ear cream for thyroid; maybe there’s something like that for insulin. Does he have diabetic food?

Renny: your mom, haha. :bigsmile:

My dog has always had bald spots on his elbows from lying down, even though we have carpeting and he has beds all over the place. I think it's from when he was young and was kept in a kennel. Anyway, one of them was bothering him and he was licking it. The skin got swollen and red, and there was even a small wound. I found a "sleeve" made of t-shirt fabric that covers his whole front leg. It's held on by a band around his chest. It should keep him from licking the spot. If this remains a problem I may have to get him elbow protectors for at night or when we're visiting and he has to lie on a hard floor.

Today is kind of an errand day, with some work. I asked for an appointment with one of the people on the committee that's doing the decision making on the things that involve my job. It's almost vacation time and I have almost no information. Will be talking with him on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wishing all my American friends the very best on the 4th of July and may you have a blast!
    All my other friends ,have a great weekend. Off to skim through all your posts. Am missing you a lot.
    Take care
    Anamika from a wet Mumbai ( finally):drinker:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July???????????? This is also our Grand daughter's BD.....She lives in Fl,but we have all been on here this am &
    everyone will be calling her today , her Aunt ( our older DD) has already called & sang Happy Birthday.LOL.

It's a beautiful wk end here,Sunny 70's .....52 tonight!! Yesterday,went with family for a long drive ,then had lunch at a fav spot.....I
    Had salad bar with cream of chicken soup.Have noticed my appetite is iffy to the point where it' not easy to meet my calorie goal.
    As soon as Fall returns,will be hungry enough.Love soups & other Fall dishes.

DH has had some problems with a swollen/ sore foot.Using ice,elevating the foot & med for inflammination.It is better now.This wk he has
    Appt with heart Dr. Hate all the appts,but on other hand,very thankful for them.Family Dr is moving to different state,so will have to find another.
    Have lots of mail to catch up on,will do it this wk. Also need to buy bed pillows,a job I dread :huh:
    Someone mentioned the Spaghetti Warehouse.......they have all their nutrition info on line. Time to get dressed.SIL is gonna do trim & DD will be here just to visit. Have a great wk end. Pat in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    HAPPY 4TH JULY to all my US of A friends! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

My first marriage was on the 4th July 44 years ago and my DS#2 got married five years ago on the same date. Today they are having lunch in a top restaurant in London. :heart:

Just been out to buy 3 loaves from our favourite baker and to pay in the cheque from the premium bounds I bought for my granddaughter. My money was returned as DS#2 failed to send in her identity proofs. Now I will have to do it again.
    We like the bread as it is low GI (wholemeal granary with lots of seeds), so we cut the loaves in half and freeze them. Half of the problem with commercial bread is that it is often too salty, not good flour and the bakers use a lot of "yeast improver". Real bread, unless you are gluten intolerant with Crohns disease, is good stuff. I weigh my two slices, which I cut as thin as possible, and it comes to 3 oz. 210 cals. We had parma ham, tomatoes, avocado and arugula in it with basil leaves. Delicious! :love: 310 cals.

One of my old schoolfriends is going to be at her flat in Portsmouth this weekend so I am going to go down by train and meet her for lunch down there. There are a lot of outdoor cafés by the waterfront so I hope we can find a nice fishy one! I feel an oyster or two calling me!:bigsmile:

Cynthia - that was a smart and assertive move getting a consultation on the job situation. DH thinks a hose would be too much of a temptation to use more water. Also, unless they have all run out, we fill the cans from the water butts.

Meg, Katla and Kim - we chose Sri Lanka because it provided the kind of holiday we like. Individual attention, with one car, one driver, our own guides and no internal flights. We love the food and I have never visited a predominantly Buddhist area, though DH has. Wonderful sights, temples and beautiful countryside, tea plantations, jungle and coast.
    DH couldn't fly anywhere this winter because his anxiety was too great, but his medication and relaxation CDs have sorted him out so he seems fine at the moment.
    I am a nervous traveller - getting to the airport on time and even packing send me into a spin for a few days beforehand, but I know I will love it when I get there so I know it is worth it. Travel is almost as important as food to me.
    Sri Lanka is not a very exotic destination to a Britisher as it was part of our Empire for so long. Indeed one place we are going to has preserved its Victorian post office etc. UK folks do tend to go long haul quite a bit so it seems quite normal to us.:glasses:

Sylvia - your son problems sound so troubling, I feel for you. Hugs.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Jb - Wow on the produce! Do you sell it or give it away. We have trouble eating everything from our tiny garden. Soon to lift my garlic! Tonight we are using the chard again in a Sri Lankan fish and prawn curry! ! !:laugh: Once the runner beans start it's a real job to keep up with the picking!

Michele - I'm so glad I don't live next door to you, it sounds very noisy! ! !:tongue: As I was reading about you using all those machines I could hear our neighbour strimming (weed whacking) and I had to shut the window. Of course, when we have to use our own machines we are just grateful for them!:laugh: :wink: :tongue:

Jane - I do hope the house rental business works out for you.:flowerforyou: My tenant is leaving in a few days so I am hoping I won't have too big a gap.:frown: Shame you don't want a one bedroom flat in Hampshire.:tongue:

Welcome again all the new posters. Don't forget to put a name or pseudonym and a location. The more you post the more we will get to know you. This site has achieved miracles for me.:love: , but you do have to DO IT.:laugh:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July!

Going to get my hair cut this morning ... friend has a salon in her basement. I asked why she wanted to work on a holiday and she was very vague ... I heard through the grapevine that a mutual friend is in town and now suspect I might be headed into a birthday surprise. So Instead of wearing a ratty t-shirt, I've put on something better ... could be wrong, but we've done things like this to each other over the years.

Jb ... once again I am regretting our lack of garden this year. I had to read your post to my husband! How do you store things?

Mimi ... started reading your suggested book ... Vicious Eating ... interesting. I do know that since we have changed our food choices because of son's migraine situation, we are seeing less of the binge eating here and feel better too. Eating again like our grandparents ... there's a definite difference.

June was a fabulous month for my son with migraine! Came through multiple weather patterns, stressful situations and some eating challenges migraine free! Amazing! I have to concede that Botox probably is a large component to this break in his pain cycle, but I also believe that removing a lot of the chemicals from his diet and managing the trigger foods is how he needs to deal with the headaches in the future. Shopping is getting easier. Back to being a planner.

Heather ... I so much enjoy your posts ... I feel like I'm traveling while sitting in my chair.

Joyce ... glad you're getting some answers about the blood pressure situation!

Alison ... oh Alison ... have you ever considered going on strike from your family? I read a humorous book one time where the woman of the house did just that ... I threaten to do the same regularly here! So sorry your plans went awry. I do admire your dedication to your family though. Sure do hope they recognize the incredible blessing you are to them!

Carol ... hope your house sells for big bucks!! You have surely put a lot of effort into it! I see there are lots of changes coming for you ... take deep breaths ... and remember to focus on you. And regardless of what he says ... that "boy child" is going to miss you incredibly.

I know I missed a lot here ... sorry ... will try to keep up more regularly. This group really is very helpful!

Beth in Western New York
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think this is a way of life not eating healthy one day and taking the next day off. I have gained and lost weight several times in my life time. What I have learned is it needs to be a livable diet. I eat all foods and am working on not labeling anything as good or bad. There will be days where one eats more and other days where one eats less. One of the reasons I have waited over 10 years to try and lose weight again is because i cannot go through losing it all just to gain it back again. In the past, I did diets that limited so many foods and only had about 1400 calories. I have lost up to 70 pounds at a time and have ALWAYS gained it back. When we read through topics we see this is the norm. Losing weight is hard but keeping it off is much harder. When I read people saying, i am going off the diet today but going to eat healthy again tomorrow, I think, you are setting yourself up. One of the things that really helped me was overcoming overeating. Mainly because it discusses how diets don't work. They have an exercise where you write down how many diets you have been on and then you see why yes they are right diets don't work. I am trying to learn how to eat in moderation, work out and lose steady and slow. I want to be off the diet train and diet mentality. Some days are easier then others but this week I have not binged and that is a huge success for me. This is the first time in over 10 years where I did not give in to I want to eat and just allowed myself to do so. I realize this is going to be a struggle for awhile but I am hoping I will get in the groove. Meanwhile, I am trying to find foods that allow larger portions for lesser calories.