WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Quick Hi from windy Nova Scotia! Arthur is visiting us today, so far very little rain where I live but lots of wind! I heard something hit the window this morning and went out to see if it was a bird (didn’t find anything) and I heard a loud crack from a tree so I’m sure that tree won’t make it through the day. I think today is a day for hooking and reading as I‘m sure we‘re going to lose our power sooner or later.

I finally made it back to the pool for aqua fit classes. (I went a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t step down into the pool and they have no railing on the shallow end) I took my cane and a friend and was able to get in using my cane and truly enjoyed the class.:happy:

Hoping with this storm that the humidity will break and the pain in my joints will let up a bit, it’s been almost impossible to walk this week.

My July goals:

Walk or go to the pool at least 3 times a week
    Track my foods
    Eat more vegetables
    Say every day “I will do this”

Cathy in NS
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Turns out I got to see fireworks after all. We have a elementary schools up the block from us. Four groups were using the field to shoot off fireworks. Two of the groups were shooting off the kind you go to the shows for. They were shooting them off for an hour. There was enough of a breeze so the bugs were not too bad. Best of all a short walk home with no traffic, Still smiling.

To change up having oatmeal for breakfast. I grind the oatmeal to make flour and then make pancakes. Today I only had one but I had it on a banana with walnuts and coconut.with a splash of real maple syrup. To live for. So off to do some gardening to burn it off.

Today I will enjoy the sunny 80 degree day we are having so tomorrow I will wake with a smile on my face.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

2014 word: contentment
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I hope every one of my US friends had a nice July 4th holiday. I also hope all of you on the east coast are safe from Arthur. Today I will workout on the treadmill for about 45 minutes. We are going to church this evening so we can get our packing done tomorrow for our trip. So far I am maintaining my weight loss. Our vacation will be a challenge, but we will walk a lot.

I will be missing you this week. I will check in as often as I can. I wish you all a wonderful week. Be good to yourselves!

Welcome all new ladies, you join just by posting.

Cindy in OK
  • Amfoxynow
    Amfoxynow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Cathy and others who are threatened by the storm. I wish you the best. Please be safe!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Still breezy here and a bit cooler with less humidity...........all recovered from the storm. Very quiet day yesterday. May go to a local farm and pick blueberries sometime today. Weeding (endless!!!) and a kettlebell workout for sure. The bush cucumber has many little ones coming and yesterday I had a delicious tomato and bacon sandwich thanks to the patio tomato plant. The new cucumber seeds have sprouted and are about 2inches high, getting second leaves. The mini tomato producers are loaded with small ones and should start coming ripe in about a week.

Heather and Katla.........My DH is one for the old movies, etc. The other day I came in and he was watching one of those Francis, The Talking Mule movies
    had to be from the 40's!

Lesley..........Welcome, your cholesterol issues sound daunting but your life sounds very adventurous!

Karen..............LOL!!! "anything with the word cake in it sounds good"!!!

Kim............Making me hungry for plums and apricots! It's wierd, any fruit with fuzz like peaches, I can't eat the skin, the rest is OK if peeled, but the fuzzy skin just makes my lips itch, no matter how washed it is.

Working (once again) on what I think of as the "tenacious 10"..........those last 10 pounds that keep coming back...........down once more a pound and a half this am
    full speed ahead! Now it's the tenacious 8 1/2. Someone once posted a blurb about maintaining at not necessarily the lowest goal weight you can reach, but the lowest weight you can manage successfully..........maybe my body is trying to speak to me????? BUT, at barely 5ft 3in a ten pound difference is very noticible, both to the eye and in the clothing, whereas, if I had some height, it might not be.................dratted short genes!!!!

Cathyb60.............Good for you for making it into the pool!!!

Welcome newbies!

Stay strong, ladies!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    A quick good morning, might crawl back in bed! :yawn:

Sylvia, most recipes call for seeding peppers before cooking, but I usually leave seeds in jalapenos for the heat. Seeds can impart a strange flavor in canned salsas. Fresh salsa can be made with seeds left in, depending on how much heat you want. I'm curious, how hot is a "salsa" pepper? When cayenne peppers have turned red, they're ready to harvest, but they'll hold on the plant for quite some time. Wear gloves and a mask if you cut them! Hot little buggers. :bigsmile:

Sun's shining bright, company tonight
    Cleaning on the agenda
    And a nap!

:smile: jb in Portland
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yannieyannie: do your lips itch with cherries and apples as well? Then I'll guess you get hay fever when beech trees bloom. :bigsmile:

Cynthia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Wow! What a lovely picture of the “new you.” I’m happy for your success. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Michelle: I’ve never tried to dry peas. I only grow snow peas and sugar snap peas, and they’re both the kind that you eat the whole pod. They all get eaten right off the vine, some as snacks. Others get to be part of a salad. If I had more land, I’d try other possibilities. My whole garden is just under 8 by 8 feet. I put my herbs in pots on my deck. I tried freezing the peas but the loss of texture and taste made me decide not to do it again. I don’t freeze sweet corn anymore for the same reason. Green beans are another story. They do freeze well. I dehydrated cherry tomatoes last year and they’re great in soups, stews, and sauces. I’ve thought about getting space in the community garden, but haven’t followed through. :flowerforyou:

KK in CA: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Kim in N CA: Our townhouse came with a whole house vacuum system. The vacuum is located in the garage, and we plug hoses into vents in three possible locations. I really like it. We’ve lived here 17 years and this is the first time it has needed repair. It keeps the noise out in the garage, and there is no dust from leaking vacuum bags. You do end up dragging hoses around. DD has the push kind of vacuum that is plastic, so no dust there, either, but the high-pitched squeal of the vacuum motor is punishing.:flowerforyou:

Heather: What is a £10 pom? :huh:

Cathy in NS and all who are in the storm path: Stay safe. :flowerforyou:

We had a lovely 4th of July celebration in our little town and the fireworks were spectacular. I’m glad we left our dog with the vet and now I can’t wait to go get him.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Katla - a Pom is a British person, probably derived from pomegranate, "immigrant" and the colour of a pomegranate.
    A Ten Pound Pom was a Britisher who went out to Australia under the Australian Assisted Passage Scheme after WWII. The long boat passage cost them £10 and they had to stay for a minimum of two years. At the time Australia was desperate to attract immigrants from Britain. DH'S uncle went out in the 50s and DH'S father thought he would never see him again. Of course, as time went on, they were able to make regular airplane visits to each other.

Heather UK
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sounds like many had a great 4th of July! It's nice to read all about the celebrations.

Joyce - love the new picture and I'm right there with you. I still look in the mirror and I still see the same person I was 94 lbs ago.

Weigh in this morning and I've lost another 2.2 lbs. Finally the scale is moving in the right direction again.

I'm off to try and buy something nice to wear to my lunch tomorrow with my brother. Most of my clothes are hanging on me.

Enjoy the day and those affected by the storm..stay safe.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Cynthia..............Cherries and apples are fine; it's only fruit with fuzzy outsides and then only if unpeeled. I do have allergies which play havock with my sinuses in the fall and especially in the spring.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    Had such a nice time on the 4th with family.Got to see all 4 grandkids.
    Food was good.Saw an old girlfriend of mine,haven`t seen in years.Was a good time.
    Today looked at a cute townhouse.Fell in love.They just lowered the rent by 1,000.They are selling the stove and frig for 200,in good shape.Prayers,please,that we get this.Still near church and daughter can finish H>S.:drinker: :drinker:
    Have a good day!!
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, you look SO CUTE in your new photo! It's so nice to see peoples faces.

JB, thanks for the info on the pepper seeds. I was not removing them. I thought these would be like the mild green peppers you see canned in the Mexican food section of the store, but these seem hotter. They are long and pepper shaped, not stubby like a bell pepper and the bigger ones are about as big around as my thumb and as long as my hand. I picked them green, so I don't know if I left them on longer if they would turn another color. The picture on the little stick from the garden center shows them green. I found out the hard way about picking the cayenne peppers. I didn't use gloves and then touched my face. I made a nice batch of salsa yesterday using one of the bigger green peppers and one of the cayenne peppers to one can of diced tomatoes (no salt added). The heat was just about right. I made some beef enchiladas with it and they were really good! Hubby said they need salt. I've really missed Mexican food.

My dog peed on my basil plant!

This morning I walked my 10,000 steps in one shot, all before breakfast. Then trimmed my bangs in the bathroom. I think that is "fringe" to those of you across the pond. Had to get it out of my eyes.

Have a great day ladies!

Sylvia
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My plan for July is to lose 10 lbs. This is going to be a little more difficult then last month, because I will be on vacation for two weeks.

Stay focused on healthy eating and moving is my goal.

Good luck everyone! :smile: :smile:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: then you're a lucky one. I'm allergic to the birch trees (I mistakenly said beech in my last post), but also to fruits with stones (apricots, cherries etc.) and most apples. It's called a cross allergy. Luckily it's only itching. Not dangerous. It's also not a problem if I cook the fruit.

Cynthia
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Cynthia............Good thing I'm not allergic to birch trees
    we have 2 in the yard. Messy, messy trees; I have long hated them and they are coming down one of these days.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all my friends here. We had a quiet fourth of July. I think the thundershirt helped some but Benny Beagle was still pretty nervous. We went downstairs and had bratwurst and watched a movie…Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit. Wow that was one good movie! Benny is not licking the paw as much but it is more swollen. I think another call to the vet is in order.

Jane: I hope you are enjoying all your visiting! I bet the kids loved the fireworks! Keeping fingers crossed that you get the townhouse!

Yanniejannie: so glad you survived Arthur! Maybe your dd can bake with truvia for fewer calories! I too love those movies!

Heather; glad I am not the only fearful traveler around here! How is Amanda? As I recall, you are in contact with her

LKM54: I agree with your attitude about food and love your dogs. Who is the darker one…what kind is he?

Sylvia: thanks for the link. That looks better than the cone of shame! I can’t imagine making one out of a butter tub with Velcro. That made me laugh! Once I made tons of salsa and washed my hands carefully, then took out my contacts. When I put them in the next day OMG I almost died.

Vicki: hope your family reunion is fun and brings back lots of good memories about dad. I think it is going to be clear but hot at least here…in the mid 90s

Joyce Indiana: I am one of those who keep a word tab open while I read so I can respond to each person right after I read their post. I tried taking notes and got confused LOL. I agree….Alison is a tremendously caring person. I love your new pic!

Alison: Read above !!! It takes someone special to have the patience to work with older people and I’m sure you will be a great help to them

Sue: the joke around here is that fireworks season starts in January!

Lesley: what an interesting life you lead! I too have a beagle. We think he is 10….got him 3 years ago from a shelter and they thought he was 7 at the time. He has very few teeth, so it’s difficult to tell how old he really is but he has some grey in his fur.

Michele: it is amazing how some vet meds are so cheap and others so expensive. When Benny Beagle was on ursodiol for his liver, it had to be compounded and was as expensive as gold, ounce for ounce!

Rori: funny, that’s my old taste habits too. I actually bought a box of pecan sandies this year because I saw them and remembered how much I loved them as a kid and thought lite ice cream and then some cookies would be a good dessert for the 4th. I had one and thought “now why did I like those!!!” No taste whatsoever!

Karen: your dinner sounded really grand!

KK: welcome aboard!

Kim: your jams sound fabulous!

Cathy: stay safe in your storm!

Cindy: have a safe and fun vacation. I need to start getting ready too; we leave on Friday but it stresses me out so much I keep putting it off!

Katla: glad your dog was someplace warm and safe for the fireworks. Benny can’t be caged; when he had his gallbladder out he was supposed to stay for three days after. He had his surgery late in the afternoon and the vet called before 7 in the morning and said please come get him. We can’t keep him in his kennel without totally knocking him out. We don’t know about his past, but he is terrified of cages and kennels.

Sandy: fabulous progress~!

Well ladies. I’m off to eat lunch then work on my scrapbook. DH and DD#1 are in the garage changing her oil and hopefully having some kind of meaningful conversation. DD#2 is spring cleaning. All the pets are quiet and sleeping so it is a nice day!
    Take care all, meg from Omaha where it is hot and steamy today.
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th. I didn't workout yesterday, and enjoyed one meal that wasn't healthy. Today I just got finished with a leg workout, so I think that will make up for it. Our dog didn't enjoy the festivities, but seem to be recouping today. Poor thing.

Have a wonderful day!
    Laurie in WI
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. When I was in a small village in the Cariboo, we saw only a few large predators in town. But now that I live in a town 10 times larger, we have to look out for bears and cougars through 3 seasons. So much for the safety of civilization!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Just coming back to say that my DH is a dear!:love::love: :love:

Every year in July there is a big birthday festival in the village up at the strawberry fields. It has developed into a real music festival which we can hear from our house for two days. :grumble: I can block it out with ear plugs, but I have been talking about going away for the weekend. Well ......... DH informed me tonight that he has been researching country cottages for those two nights in Sussex. So we picked one near Battle ( the Battle of Hastings 1066) which is in the middle of fields.:laugh: Looks great! It has an extra sofa bed if one of us can't sleep.:bigsmile:
    So we booked that and then I remembered that I have always (bucket list) wanted to go to Charleston, where the Bloomsbury Group used to hang out. So we booked a tour of the house for Friday pm on our way to the cottage.
    The house was occupied by Virginia Woolf's sister Vanessa and various husbands, lovers and hangers on and is covered inside by their paintings and splodges. When I was a young woman and trying hard to be a writer I would imagine myself to be part of this esoteric group and drifting around the garden in a muslin frock.:laugh: Of course the reality was far from that. But it was all part of my youthful fantasies and I read a lot about them all. Now much older and wiser I am still very interested to see the house and garden.
    Hooray for DH! Something to look forward to. I would like to see the site of the battle and visit the sea at Hastings so it looks like a fun weekend! ! ! ! ! ! I had no idea he had something like that in his head!:love:

Heather again in Hampshire UK