WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Heather – I suspected water butts were some type of a rain barrel.. What a great honeymoon! It is fun to hear about everyones background… I did not realize you were a breast cancer survivor – Glad you are cancer free!!! :love: :love:
    Your DH is a catch! How thoughtful! - that will be a fun get away - I can just see you floating around the garden in your muslin frock!

Cathy – glad you were able to get in the pool and enjoyed the class:glasses:

Margaret – glad you enjoyed the fireworks

Sandy – congrats on on the 2+ lb loss!!!

Sylvia – My dog has peed in the garden… I just wash everything well! Peppers come in all variations of heat, but the seeds are always the hottest part! Lol scargo lol!

Yanniejannie/Cynthia I grew up with birch trees in the front yard and I could see them from my window – I always loved them! But would not put one in my yard –just too messy!

JB – how is Mariah?

AnneCarolOne - How interesting that there are bears and cougars in town – keeps you in durning dusk and dawn!

Alison – you figure out how to get to CA and I’ll take care of you! A week here – with nothing to do but chat with me; eat, maybe take a walk, I am not far from wine country, San Francisco, and tons of other sites so there would be plenty to do and NO cooking, cleaning, only what you wanted to do when you wanted to!

Gail – glad you are safe!

Lesley - thanks for the education – I love that we are from all over and I get to hear about everyone’s local stuff!!!

Liz – You are at the right place! Welcome back!!!

Carol in Monroe --- l like the image of us as a sisterhood!

Michele – I had the same problem when my god son was in Bonair – about the only thing he did not pay crazy amounts for was a letter, so I would send a letter with a gift card.

Today was busy, I have another week of camp next week, but just the morning - then one more week later in July, so this morning I figured out the recipe booklets, got them copied (had a 25% off coupon so did both today) did the shopping for next week, laundry, a dog walk and then back to canning - so far this weekend I have done 7 pints of apricot jam (3/4 cup of sugar for ALL of it), 5 1/2 pints of apricot mustard - it is not low sugar but is a sweet and hot mustard, 5 pints of apricot-amaretto jam (that has 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup amaretto for the whole batch) and now I am going to sit on the porch with the rest of the apricots and set them up in the dehydrator.... I had walked over 11,000 steps and bumped the darn pedometer and reset!!! :grumble: :grumble: :explode: :grumble: :grumble: It felt like more as I was on my feet the whole day!

Well off to find some water or ice tea....
    smiles Kim in N. California
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Kim...what if we kidnap Alison. Now there's a thought.:bigsmile:

Joyce...I LOVE your profile picture. You look awesome.

Margaret...to live for. So much better than to die for. I like it.

Lizmil...you've come to the right group for encouragement. Hang in there. Every day is a new day.

Yanniejannie...those pesky final 10 lbs. Pffft...so hard. One of the things I have to let go of is wine in order to lose them. Darn. I've lost an inch in height. No fair.

Cynthia...eating a banana makes my throat itchy. Any thoughts on any related allergies?

Katla...when we moved into our house 25 yrs ago we had a central vacuum system installed. I always liked it. A couple of years ago the cloth bag broke, and we keep forgetting to get it repaired.WeWe've been using a small vacuum ever since. DH mostly vacuums and he likes it better.

We watched FIFA soccer today, Netherlands vs Costa Rica. Nail biter. Netherlands won. Then onto granddaughter's 1st birthday. It was supposed to have been outside in a park, but the weather was too iffy, so a friend offered their (small) home. It was fun, but soooo crowded and noisy. DS and DDIL had all the kids come to them, gave each a small shaker or tamborine, and then had a fun singelong time! Now "the wheels on the bus" tune keeps churning in my mind.

On the way home DH wanted to take me for chinese food. I said, no thanks. So, I cooked some chicken and vegetables instead. I am happy about that decision.

I am typing all this on my tablet, and editing is a little difficult, so there may be some nonsensical sentences.

Love to all.
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    liz. I love your goal of encouraging some one.

Michelle, you have me confused with some one else about the beet greens. I wouldn't know what to do with a raw beet if I bought one. Now I did post about my Mom pickling beets. But she has been gone for 3 years now. Wish I could ask her.

I did have a bit of indulgence yesterday. We went to the Spaghetti Factory and I looked at the menu on line and logged it before we left. I had the senior spinach tortolini alfredo. I'm sure they would have substituted another sacue on it but I wouldn't have known how to log it though. And I do love my alfredo sauce. I had them leave the cheese off the top though. My 7 year old grand daughter had the regular alfredo childs meal and she just grabbed the cheese off and gobbled it down. Now that their parents are on this health kick, the kids don't get many opportunities to cheat and get things like that anymore. The senior plate was a fairly decent size but still cost $10. It did come with a salad and tea or coffee. My daughter took the tea and I drank water. I was way down on my sodium intake for the day even with that sauce. I guess alfredo doesn't have much in it, just a lot of cream and butter.

Joyce, Indaina
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place.:flowerforyou:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Margaret: have you tried refrigerator oatmeal? :tongue:

Jane: any news on the townhouse?

Joyce: 60 pounds; congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Michele: the customs story is true. Very annoying, but it happens.

Renny: sounds like ragweed cross allergy. Guess you'll just have to make banana bread. :bigsmile: For everyone interested in cross allergies, here’s a small table: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/basics/symptoms/con-20019293.

Doing some work today, and trying to straighten up the house a bit more since people are coming to look at my piano. I hope they buy it. We need the space since my guy will be moving in.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I thought I blew it big time yesterday. I ate like a pig! But this morning the scale was down just a little. Almost back to my all-time low. Well, not to high school weight, but the lowest since starting to lose.

Yesterday I made baby-back ribs in the crock pot for dinner. OOOOOH! They were so good! The package had two half racks, and were trimmed so well there was almost no fat. I rubbed them with Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute, then put them in the crock pot on high for four hours, on low for one hour, then put them on a baking sheet and slathered them with sauce, then baked for 45 minutes. They just fell off the bones. I put regular sauce on the bigger half for hubby and made my no-salt BBQ sauce for my half. It was heaven! Hubby ate his whole half but I only ate half of mine and saved the rest. It was so hard to wrap those up!

For lunch I made chicken fajitas with my no salt salsa, but used regular grated cheese, so they weren't completely salt free. I'm trying to add just a little bit of salt to my diet.

And I made those zucchini-blueberry mini muffins, which were yummy. I ate three before I put them in the freezer. Those had salt too.

I'm having a hard time writing this morning. Bruno keeps getting in my lap and forcing himself between me and the ipad. He does not like to be ignored!

It's storming here this morning, so I will go to the mall to do my walking today. At 1:00 I have to go help set up a pottery show in a town about 20 miles from here.

I hope you are all having a great day!

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well running on about 4 hrs sleep. fell into bed at 10:30 after fireworks, had to get up at 3 and get the girls to the airport...
    they are stuck in chicago(at midway) there flight is delayed, big storm in Minniappolis...they are ok though, called there dad to let him know..
    wish I could say I can rest today.. but DH is washing to cars so I have to dry them, have a load of laundry in and we both have to work tomorrow so it is try and see what I have left and I guess make due with it until next week..
    I would go get a mani/pedi , but 1 - its a sunday and they arent open 2- im broke.. after 10 days with them.. wow.. can you say expensive:noway:
    well off to work on my chores, my DB,DSIL, and there mom are gone for 2 weeks so I have to go up and water the plants and the garden, and go over and check on DFIL.
    and away I go
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies. I do hope my American friends had a safe & happy Independence Day.

Welcome to new friends. You have joined a great bunch of ladies.

Joyce - your pic is lovely. You have achieved so much - be proud. My freezer order is quite similar. Some interesting meals have resulted once a mystery package has defrosted!

Jane - everything crossed that you get the townhouse.

Heather - Yaay for DH! He sounds like a keeper ;-)

Lesley - loved reading your posts.

Liz - welcome back.

Kim - apricots. Yummy, I am quite envious.

Michele - we have to pay 20% import tax here in England on imported goods. Ebay bargains can end up being more costly & generally most folks don‘t know about this tax before they order. I’ve been wanting some fitness clothing from USA (plus size fitness clothing in UK is awful) but the postage & import tax more than tripled the price of the goods. So I shall stock up when we visit New England in September.

My eating has been out of sorts this weekend. On Friday, S needed a lift to go see a new car so we left straight from work. By the time we had finished we were all starving & the only place we could find was KFC. I had 2 pieces of chicken, picking as much skin & coating off as I could & it was so greasy. With a teaspoon of coleslaw & half a pack of fries, I don’t think I over stepped the calories but it’s scary to think I used to love KFC!

Have a great week everyone.

Geri in UK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!

Have been enjoying the wonderful blueberries DD and I picked yesterday evening. Tried, for once, not to go overboard on the amount and think we succeeded in getting just enough for eating and a couple pies. Will be making the pies shortly. Watered, birds fed, weeded, and home from the grocery store by 9am. Newspaper read now too.

Watched the FIFA match; rooting for Belguim.........they lost.

Michele.............Love your take on being short. All I can come up with is a gift card also............sorry, I know how you love to send food.

Heather...........Thanks for explaining Pom, I learned something! Your husband truly is a keeper!!! What a thoughtful gem!!!

Cynthia/Renny.............That banana question rang a bell somewhere in the depths, so I looked it up..........There is actually something called Latex/fruit syndrome. Knew there was a connection to latex allergies which can be very severe. I had become interested in something close to this years ago after reading an article.

janemartin.............fingers crossed for your townhouse

Sandy...............YAY for your loss..............I see 100 on the horizon!!!!!

Meg.............I also loved Jack Ryan, Shadow Recruit!

Gail.............I just bought some PB2 also.

Dee Dee.............Did someone say shopping?????????

Lesley............Ah, cherries!!! Have to say we've been getting some gorgeous ones in the store here; just bought some this am.

Off to have my oatmeal (with blueberries, of course!!!!) then make the pies---not for me, well maybe just one piece, one for DD and DH and the other promised to a friend who does massages and gave me a glorious one a month ago and wouldn't take money.

Stay strong, ladies,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:happy:

Stumpy Grinder and his wife Martha were from Portland, Maine. Every year they went to the Portland Fair and every year Stumpy said, "Ya know, Mahtha, I'd like ta get a ride in that theah aihplane." And every year, Martha would say "I know, Stumpy, but that aihplane ride costs ten dollahs .. and ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

So one year Stumpy says, "By Jeebers, Mahtha, I'm 71 yeahs old, and if I don't go this time I may nevah go." Martha replies, "Stumpy, that there aihplane ride is ten dollahs ... and ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

So the pilot overhears then and says, "Folks, I'll make you a deal. I'll take you both up for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say ONE WORD, then I won't charge you. But just ONE WORD and it's ten dollars."

They agree and up they go... the pilot does all kinds of twists and turns, rolls and dives, but not a word is heard. He does it one more time, and there is still no word... so he lands.

He turns to Stumpy as they come to a stop and says, "By golly, I did everything I could think of to get you to holler out, but you didn't."

And Stumpy replies "Well, I was gonna say something when Mahtha fell out ... but ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

:laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Carol from Monroe, I gave up alcohol many years ago and it was a huge adjustment……five years ago I stopped drinking coffee or anything with caffeine and that was another big adjustment but worth the effort….it’s not easy making healthy changes especially in a world full of people living in unhealthy ways.

:bigsmile: Joyce, I love your system for labeling the food in your freezer….I would have to have one label that said “not a whole pile of vegetables”

:flowerforyou: Michele, I know it doesn’t’ sound very personal, but probably sending a cash gift is the most practical although sending money to another country may have its own roadblocks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sylvia, great joke

:flowerforyou: I just finished my mid-morning snack (after hours of dog walking I need to eat again) and will go outside and work in the yard then clean the bathrooms……Jake is doing the laundry because he bought himself two new shirts with special washing directions and he wants the laundry done his way (I am happy to oblige).

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options
    Cynthia I have all the ingredients for the blueberry and apple cinnamon refrigerator oatmeal. I am looking forward to trying them. Thanks for the idea. I looked the recipes up on line.

:heart:
    MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!
    I'm watching the Wimbledon final right now. As I don't care who wins I can watch it!:laugh:
    Renny - I saw the end of the Holland game and was thinking of you.:drinker:

I've just got back from my trip to Portsmouth. For those who don't know it, it is a big naval port with an historic dockyard in which sits The Victory, Nelson's flagship and the Mary Rose, Henry VIII 's salvaged flagship. We might go to see them with DSIL in two weeks time - today I went for lunch by the water and to look round the shops.
    It was lovely to meet my old schoolfriend and we had a seafood lunch under an umbrella - oysters etc. Then I chose to test my fear of heights (:laugh: ) and go up the Spinaker Tower. :bigsmile: Wonderful views. We mooched around the shops without buying anything and went back up the tower for tea with a scone, jam and clotted cream. I had one third of a scone, a scrape of jam and a scrape of cream!:laugh: I brought back the rest of the cream for DH!:bigsmile: Then I caught the train home.

It's championship point! Djokovic won!:laugh:

So a good day!

Salmon tonight with mushy peas :love: and broccoli.

Love to all, Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Just popping in - wanted to tell a couple of Levi stories, but had to read the posts :laugh: :laugh:

Renny – If you and I kidnap Alison are we bringing her to Vancouver (a place on my bucket list):wink: or to the San Francisco Bay area? :wink:

Michele – I use my beet tops like any other cooked green – either as a side, or in eggs, or mixed into a stir fry or …
    Geri – those times are the hardest for me, go job on making KFC work – that is real commitment!

So First Levi story is really a vent!!! Levi is other dog aggressive, I walk early so we don't meet many other dogs, I keep him under tight control, but he is what is termed "reactive" and will fight with other dogs, sometimes he is fine, but he always starts with barking, sometimes moving up to growling... We start the next class to try to break this next week.... Ok, so 5:45am we are out walking and a woman with a small dog is coming towards us, so I am telling Levi "ignore" and have his treat - and cross the street, he is doing well. The woman starts to come across the street too, :grumble: so I say "good morning my dog is other dog aggressive, would you stay on that side of the street until we pass?" by now Levi is doing small barks and pulling - She keeps coming and says even little dogs? Now Levi is in full wound up mode - growling teeth showing barking... heck, I am even careful at this point - I say he will eat your dog for lunch. :noway: She goes back to her side - thank goodness!!! Levi calms down after a bit... and then 30 minutes later - Levi starts in again but pulling backward at this point, The woman is behind me and gaining on me - and yells I am sure he will like my dog! - I turn and stop Levi is in full protect mode....pulling/growling.... so I say " shall I let him go?" that pulled her up short!! :noway: I dragged him across the street with him doing everything he could to get that little dog. Why are people so sure they are right?! and I bet if I had let Levi go and he bit her little fluff ball, she would have sued me!!!! The upside is dragging/holding a 55lb dog is a great arm exercise:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

following Sylvia's lead - end on a funny!

So we are home and Levi is in the backyard and there is a squirrel on the wires that cross the back yard, he is chasing and barking and the squirrel stops on the wires, Levi is underneath and the squirrel peed on him!!!! I had to wash Levi off but it was so funny, and I almost think it was deliberate! Smart squirrel!!:laugh: :laugh:

Kim in N. Cal
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Kim:smile: I love your Levi story:laugh: ! Noel is also very aggressive with other dogs, I tell her she's just a little a thing and these big dogs will eat her with one bite, she still ignores me:angry: . Most of the time if I meet another dog with her, I pick her up and carry her, of course she's barking, growling and squirming trying to get down ( great workout too). I love that you asked the lady if she wanted you to let him go:laugh: ! The squirrel story is great, poor Levi, not being able to bite another dog and then getting peed on by varmint he wanted to catch:tongue: , I believe the sweet thing needs an extra treat now!
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Thanks for understanding DeeDee!!!:smile: Levi and Noel are sweeties with humans!! they are the dog version of a hermit, don't want to live with their own kind! - I'll go find him a treat - he deserves it. :wink:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh Kim, that is so funny what happened to Levi. And then squirrel peeing on him. Poor guy, such humiliation.

OK, I hope I didn't make it seem like I have a freezer labeling system like that. I got that off Face Book. I have frozen Healthy Life bread and ice in my freezer. Oh, and my cold packs that go in my cooling vest for my MS. I hope I don't have to put that thing on this year. It makes me feel like I am wearing a bullet proof vest. I think they have made improvements through the years but I got mine about 15 years ago.

DD is going to come over with ice cream tonight. Yikes. I think I may go to Target and see if they still sell the individual containers of Skinny Cow ice cream.

Joyce, Indiana
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    gosh took 2 days off and we have a chatty bunch. BBQ with son and DIL family and fireworks, then had a small family gathering for my mom's 80th birthday. Of course she had to run off to Bingo.

Scale is not being good to me, with my birthday and other partying time to fast and drink some water and get back to where I was so I can keep going down.

Drink your water and Move
    Sherry SO CA