WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.
    Filed out credit check and Mike sent his pay stubs.Just waiting on the land lady.Hope she cooperates.
    Did our errands,hubby is grilling out.
    HUGS
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends. It’s hot and humid here. We got a pink cone of shame for Beagle, whose toenails now are bleeding. I see another vet visit before we leave! DD#2 got stood up tonight so she is sad. It was the guy who brought her home after the alcohol experiment a while ago, so I’m surprised at him.

This will be very short since I need to go back to packing!

Liz: welcome back!

Michele: you worry so much about Bryan. I hope he changes his ways. In the meantime I’d stick with cards.

Looking forward to our trip, believe it or not. Gotta run, sorry gals! Take care, Meg from steamy Omaha
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Met my brother today, it's strange after over 23 years. He answered all my questions and he asked a few. His wife is wonderful. He & my son hit it off quite well. My DD was so quiet. She's so hesitant to trust and with her social anxiety...well not a good combination. I think we will be definitely be keeping in touch.

DD has decided to start dating again. I'm so happy that she has, she's been stuck for years not really going out.

Tired tonight, exhausting day.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love reading all the posts! This sharing of everyone's life is so neat: cherries, zucchini, vacations, travel, bucket lists...

Liz, same boat, here. You said, "owning my weight" and that hit home. For most of the past decade, I've tried to kid myself
    about the weight I've gained and how I look and feel. Finally, the past couple of months, I've acknowledged how much
    weight I've gained, how hard it is on my body & health. I will turn 58 on Sat. & I know that the quality of my life from here out
    depends on my eating habits & exercise.

Everyone, have a great week!
    Karen
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Levi story.
    My beagle sees dogs on the beach, leash free areas, wags tail and moves up, crouches and does commando crawl on tummy, then up and wagging tail, Plays chasy and running in sea. She HATES German Shepherds as one went for her, plus is kind to some little dogs but warns yappy ones to steer clear. She is 11 1/2
    I had gastro and NO training for 4 days but back to it today with tummy still a little bloated.
    Rain this morning so clothes washed and drying by fire. Stan is cutting wood. Never know such a wet start to our winter and used so much wood, more that last year. Reverse cycle not working and need to phone the guy that installed it. Argh!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Lizmil, welcome back. I've missed you.

I missed the original beet conversation, but I have a friend who throws the whole beet, greens and all, into a smoothie. She says it is wonderful.

Had a good Sunday, walked 5.6 miles, and came in way under calories.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Met my brother today, it's strange after over 23 years. He answered all my questions and he asked a few. His wife is wonderful. He & my son hit it off quite well. My DD was so quiet. She's so hesitant to trust and with her social anxiety...well not a good combination. I think we will be definitely be keeping in touch.

Sandy in ON

Cool:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Independence Day is a multi-day holiday for us......we just finished watching the two TV shows we recorded from NYC and Washington DC with entertainment, patriotic themes, and fireworks.....so much better for us in the afternoon instead of late at night.

:bigsmile: Barbie

21,000 steps today and more than an hour of work in the yard.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Pilates for the Lower Body DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a bit more of my "10 Minute Solution Tummy Toner" DVD, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Welcome everyone new

Carol in Monroe - Thanks so much for your answer. I haven't considered a gift card only because I wouldn't know what place to give it from. Do you have any ideas? He's in LaReunion (province of France) Update: What about Amazon?

Kim - how did you know what place to give the gift card from?

Vince figures we'll go out later today to work, so right now I'm making more of the squash cookies.

Kim - that apricot amaretto jam sounds great. Vince loves amaretto, I really don't care for it. Can you use another fruit instead of the apricot? Would apple work? I know he'll eat apples.

Renny - I like the way you think -- kidnapping Alison

Joyce - Oh, I'm sorry. What does anyone else do with their beet greens? You know, many times I'll substitute one sauce for another (like marinara for the alfredo) but I still log it as having used the alfredo. It doesn't hurt to log extra calories

Have two more batches of the cookies to make and then Vince wants to go outside

Sylvia - I've made ribs for Vince in the crockpot and they have fallen off the bone, too. I think it may be the long cooking time.

Did a load of laundry this morning and it's now in the dryer. We go thru so many pairs of underwear when we're working. Well, we sweat and then take a shower and put on another pair.

Geri - now I know why when my girlfriend from Switzerland was here, she bought underwear!

katla - I have to thank you.....lol While we were out rocking today all's I could think of was "the wheels on the bus go round and round, the windshield wipers on the bus go swish swish shwish.....

Made those squash cookies then we went out and worked on river rock. Got the area between the detached garage and the retaining wall done. Not sure why Vince wanted to get that done, I think it was more so that he wouldn't have to cut weeds by the drainpipe. Then I went in the pool while Vince came in for lunch. He went out and there's a part by the deck that we want to do more for drainage than anything else. Next, outside the fence. Yes, that pile of riverrock IS going down.

Kim - do you need to steam those beet greens before you use them in eggs or something? Love that you can look on the bright side of the Levi incident. Unbelievable woman! And that squirrel! lol

Meg - Jessica was trying to tell me today that Bryan's happy. I just can't conceive of someone not wanting to better themselves. To me, he's gotten a bit on the selfish side. He's just thinking of what would make him happy and if it hurts someone else, well, that's their problem. See, that's not like me at all. I want people to be happy but I'd never intentionally hurt someone just so that I would be happy. She was saying that we should go there. Honestly, I don't even know if he wants us to. He didn't want us at his wedding, so why would I think that he'd want us at his apartment? So sorry your dd got stood up.

Sandy - how wonderful you and your brother got together!

Michele in NC
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele, an Amazon gift card would be great since you can purchase ANYTHING from them..personally I use Amazon all the time, not trying o promote, just sayin"

Carol in Monroe. :flowerforyou:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful welcome back super encouraging!! This is a wake up call my glucose numbers have been over 300 from my fasting numbers for a year. Type 2 is what I have done to myself. So now time to figure it out get everyone on board again.

It is so hot here. I ate breakfast and didn't eat till dinner. Yes over ate at that meal. But still under goal but that only cause its so hot. I try to pay attention to how big my servings were. I must start measuring again.

My daughter wanted to watch the Miley Cyrus special. So I am I am getting old not getting half of it :wink:

Back to work tomorrow there I get a lot of physical activity.

Hope. Everyone has a lovely evening.

I have read everyone post so good to catch up . I not very good at going back and forth will need to sit with a pen and paper so I can respond better.

Thank you
    Liz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Liz: Welcome! It is nice to see you’re back, but I wish things were better for you.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love the phrase “to live for.” It is so much better than it’s more customary opposite. :bigsmile: Thanks for sharing the idea.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Carol’s gift card idea seems very smart.:flowerforyou: I love snow peas, and I know they’re seasonal treat like fresh corn on the cob and watermelon. I don’t mind the gap. I have other treats in other seasons.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Our vacuum is home and better than ever. Our version has a paper filter that stores the dust & dirt. You throw it out when it gets full and put in another. The new ones in the store had plastic bins in the bottom that collect the dirt, and you dump the dirt into the garbage. I like the idea very much, but don’t want to pay for a new machine.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope you enjoy the pottery show.:flowerforyou:

Geri in UK: I used to enjoy KFC now and then when we lived elsewhere, but the “store” here was exceptionally bad and eventually went out of business. The owner just locked the door and walked away. I sometimes wonder what I was thinking back then? I actually enjoyed all that sodium and grease, and it helped me put on pounds, like so many other things I ate. Yikes!:noway: :ohwell:

Jane Martin: My fingers are crossed for you. I hope you find a new and better place soon.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’d love to stow away with you for a lunch in Portmouth, and would especially enjoy seeing the Victory and the Mary Rose. You are a lucky woman.:flowerforyou:

Kim: I love the Levi versus the squirrel story. Mean old squirrel.:devil:

Sandy: I’m glad that the meeting with your brother went well.:flowerforyou:

We’ve had an enjoyable day at home. I pulled up a planting of peas that were at the end of their season and put beans in their place yesterday. DH worked out an automatic watering system for them today. Then he went out and got Papa Murphy’s Pizza for our dinner. It was divine and I was sensible enough that I’m under my calorie goal. Papa Murphy’s is a “take and bake chain’ for those who may not have heard of them. We bring home the uncooked pizza and bake it ourselves. It was a nice treat. I can already feel a bit of sodium in my system, but I don’t mind. The treat was worth it.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh my, oh my, oh my! Well Target didn't have the individual cups of Skinny Cow. They haven't everytime I have looked though. I had no idea what kind of ice cream she was bringing so I though I could just get a small dish, like 1/2 cup of whatever she brought. Well she comes over with 3 Sonic blasts. 3 regular size for herself and DH and a mini for me. I should have looked it up first and then eaten but I didn't. 900 calories!!!!!!!!!!Oh my! Oh I said that didn't I. So I was way over today. DH loves this particular Teppanyaki style buffet because they have such a variety of foods. I hate to log in buffets unless it is a chain like Golden corral and I know what I am eating. This is not a chain. DH thinks if you are going to go to a buffet you are wasting your money unless you eat the amount you are paying for it. TO BAD! I get me a big green salad and spend a lot of time in cutting it up so that I can toss it and put just a little dressing on it. It's amazing the little bit of dressing I can put on a salad once I get it cut up enough and then add dressing and toss real good. I eat that and then a tiny piece of ham and spinach casserole and a good size serving of this wonderful broccoli salad they have. I know I eat to much of the broccoli salad but it is so good. That and water is all I get while he has 3 large plates of food and desert. And then he had a large Sonic blast. They are similar to the Dairy Queen blizzard

This week is our doctor week. Charlie goes tomorrow and Tuesday and I go Thursday! Money, money, money

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Jane Martin – use us all for references and you’ll get the place!!:laugh:

Sandy – what an exhausting day to take the emotional leap you did… I am glad it turned out well, glad you like his wife, do you like the 23 year older brother?:smile:

Karen – just in case I forget –we’re older ya know – Happy early birthday!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lesley – I heat my house with a wood stove too… but here we have no-burn days (an environmental issue) and there is no wavier available to me (long story) – I love the cozy-ness of it – but hate the no-burn days I had 12 freezing days last winter, one day the inside of the house was a high of 48 F … grrr:grumble:

Michele – I got online and looked at all the businesses listed in the town he was in, ended up doing starbucks – got him a California logoed card and then did a visa card, which can be used anywhere they take visa – I was able to get them at my large supermarket

Apple amaretto sounds good, but I have done brandy peach too… pretty much anything that sounds good together can be done!

I do steam or saute my greens before adding them to my eggs to get rid of some of the moisture, as I like my eggs pretty dry.

Katla and Michele – ok that :angry: bus song… I have been trying to get it out of my head and you bring it up again!!!!!:explode: :laugh: :explode:

Liz – Where are you that is so hot today?

Katla - we have papa murphy’s here too and love that it is so cheap $$ (not calorie wise)although they do have one that is a thinner crust and saves a few calories.

So I found time today and put the gelato recipe into the recipe builder here and depending on what fruit you add 3/4 cup was 80-100 calories!! So happy - and it kept really well in the freezer:love:

So I have never made corn chowder - I am not a huge soup fan, and really only want it in the winter - and of course cream soup (no questions here how I added my weight:laugh: ) Any way the corn in the store has been really sweet this year and saw a recipe for a choizo corn chowder - that was headlined a Light Chowder perfect for summer. I cut it out of some magazine and when I was at the store today bought what I could remember it called for then came home and really looked at the recipe - a single serving is 795 calories - Light?:noway: :noway: but I am going to rework it - calls for 2 cups of heavy cream - I am thinking half and half; I already was going to use the veggie choizo - I really would like my dinner "main" to be in the 300-400 calorie range so there is room for a salad, a veggie side, and maybe an extra at the end of the day.. I don't know if I can cut this recipe in half calorie wise...

More camp starting tomorrow, intermediate baking - flour tortillas, crepes with savory filling, crepes with dessert filling, soft pretzels, cake pops, pizza, yeast bread, cream puffs..... The good news is that it is just mornings! I can do mornings and still be human:smile:

Today’s step count: 17,547
    July goals:
    Log everyday - week 1 done
    Walk everyday- week 1 done
    Do Heather’s alphabet exercise 2 times a week – week 1 done

Kim from N. California weather is warm days cool nights, nice breeze! loving it... you all help me appreciate my weather
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I really had to laugh out loud at the squirrel story!

Just stopping in for now. I slept badly and woke up when the alarm went off, otherwise I could have slept longer. But then the people who are coming to look at the piano (the reason I set the alarm) messaged that they have to take their kid is sick, so no visit today. :grumble:

Going to do some work now. :yawn:

Hope everybody has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Liz:smile: It is so nice to see you again!!!! One day at a time my friend, you can do it:flowerforyou: !!! I don't like eating very much when I'm hot either! You stayed under your calorie goal even with larger portions at dinner:bigsmile: !!

Katla:smile: Your pizza treat sounds wonderful!

Michele:smile: An Amazon gift card sounds like a great idea! The landscapers will be working today, one of the projects is digging a drainage ditch....and mulching. It will be so nice to have mulch instead of red dirt around my house! Little Noel likes to play on the red dirt and on a white dog....it's not a good look:noway: !

Sandy:smile: I'm glad you had a good visit with your brother! Hopefully over time you'll become good friends:flowerforyou: !

Kim:smile: I love corn chowder:love: , I have a recipe somewhere for a light version that a lady here on the this thread gave me, of course she hasn't posted in over a year. If I find the recipe I'll message it to you. I have a problem with making soup because it makes so much, and I run out of room in my freezer. I make a delicious carrot ginger soup, the good thing is that it only makes enough for 2 days:happy: !

Time to run, they are going to dig out my driveway today, not looking forward to that:noway: , I also have a dentist appt. today, just a cleaning, I will have sparkly clean teeth:bigsmile: !!!

Have a great day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC:glasses:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning,

Well I don't know what's going on with this dumb ticker but it would seem I checked in 3 pounds less than last week. At first it added 3 pounds to my "to go" and then I changed it and it has me at 0 lost. Oh well, just a ticker. Either way, while I'm glad to see a number less than last week, I don't put much into it until it holds and keeps dropping. I'll have a much better idea over the next week if I'm actually losing.

Stuck to my Biggest Loser food plan but didn't get as much exercise as I normally do over the past week. Just finishing up my tea and headed down to get a little workout in before I have to shower and get the boy to the dentist. I am looking forward to more movement this week. I have a few new orders in since we got back from Florida so I'm anxious to get back to some "creating" as well.

Best wishes to all for a successful day.

xo- Gloria in soggy Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Yesterday was crazy. My son emailed early in the day to say that he and his wife had argued and broken up for good. If you remember they had been living in separate apartments right down the hall from each other. He said he got a haircut and shaved and she accused him of having an affair. Everything is in her name. The bank account, the car insurance, the apartment. The phone plan is in her name so she demanded it back, leaving him with no phone. Well, it was over. He said even if she came around he wouldn't take her back this time. I was relieved, to tell the truth. But he was freaking out about the whole thing, and concerned because he could not afford to get another phone. So I took him to Walmart and bought him a prepaid no contract phone so he could at least have it for emergencies. It was $150 that I really couldn't afford, but it was an emergency, right? Then last night we took him and the kids to dinner and he announced that he and the wife had talked and they were going to try to work it out after all. Grrrrrrr! It was too late to return the phone. He said he is still going to keep it, and get other things in his name just so the next time this happens he won't be caught short again.

Well, four of my friends and I went to set up that pottery show yesterday. It is in the lobby of a bed and breakfast in a little town in the middle of nowhere, but the owner is a friend of one of our group members, and she's tried really hard to support the arts, so we agreed to put our stuff there for a month. The show looks good. There is virtually no chance that anything will sell, but at least it gives us practice in setting up a show. She does do some small promotions in her town, with a poster and flyers, and will host an artists reception next weekend.

I am taking all three kids to swim lessons at 10:00, then have to go to Joplin to have a heart ultrasound or sonogram, or something like that at the heart center at the hospital. I sure hope it's quick. They kept me waiting an awfully long time for my appointment last time. Then I have a little shopping to do.

Hubby is ready to go to the Y now.

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Cynthia eating my blueberry refrigerated oatmeal. It reminds me of rice pudding, but not as sweet. It is a refreshing change and a nice breakfast on a hot day. I am going to try the apple cinnamon one tomorrow. Instead of using a mason jar I used a glass bowl with a lid.

Deedee my husband makes a honey carrot soup. We had it last night. Ginger would add a nice zing to it. I'll have to try adding that the next time we have it. :drinker:

Today I will mulch the vegetable garden , so tomorrow will will have healthier and more vegetables. It finally warmed up here and quit raining everyday.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    dropped into bed at 4:00 pm yesterday, woke up at 6 for about an hr, then went back to sleep until 5 this morning... Lordie did I need that.. the kids called last night and thanked us so much for the wonderful time.. that was sweet, they loved the blueberry muffins and fudge, and bought a shell mobile at Hampton Beach to remind them of there trip there, they hung it in the living room so everyone could enjoy it..
    we did go to Sams yesterday afternoon and picked some stuff up and I got up and went out at 5 this morning.. spent another 137.00. got lunchmeat, cheese,rolls,veggies etc... im getting back on track with what I know the last week and a half have been horrible...
    but I wont give up, one step forward 2 steps back unfortunatly...
    dont go into work until 12:30 so will get dressed , take the dogs for a walk,go up and water plants and garden, check in with my DFIL and off to work...
    I am on my second cup of tea, havent really eaten anything yet.. just not hungry..:noway: