Who knew sexism in churches still exists.

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I knew.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's a church whose teachings are based on the Bible. Not sure why you expected gender equality.

Hypothetical scenario: you have two cups. One cup is a tall drinking glass, another is a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain. Which do you use to drink water every day? Which do you use for a special occasion? Are they equal? They both hold liquids. They can both do the same things. Equal and different, with the weaker vessel given preferential treatment, and the drinking glass used for its strength.

Galatians 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The Eleven Satanic Rules of Earth;*

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

(*I'm not a Satanist - I'm Agnostic)
  • T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My dad is a preacher of a non-denominational Christian church. He has always taught me to be a pillar of strength and a warrior. Not all churches or preachers are like this. He calls my mom his "Princess Warrior". We badass and we know it. He will say all day long that most women are stronger than men in most circumstances.

I thank God for a father AND preacher like that.

Seriously! Your dad is a rare breed. You're very lucky, especially to have him as a father.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet. Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

You post a topic about religion, make statements that make it blatantly clear you haven't read the bible completely, justify your own version of Christianity with nothing more than personal opinion and personal preference, talk about religion like you were shopping for the best deal on drapes to match your furniture (church with the most views that fit your own)...

and then when someone disagrees, you don't have time to be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet...

all the while, posting in a public forum...on the internet...addressing strangers.

Confused_Finn.gif

I refused to be dragged into the pointless argument because of a certain offensive picture the person posted. Again, it was not meant for anyone who disagrees with me. If you pay attention, I actually am responding and having conversations with people who have differing opinions.

Posting a random general statement and not quoting the person you are referencing leads one to believe that the comment was meant for the thread as a whole.
  • T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    the entire bible does not suppress women... just look at Deborah, a judge. and like another poster stated, you have to take into context the culture at the time the bible was written. things are different now. whereas it says: men, it means today: human kind (all of us)

It's 2014 and we have come a long way, however, we still have a long way to go, imho.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Religion, since its inception has bee sexist. There are passages in the bible that talk about women being stoned for adultery however nothing is said about the man (who was also involved in said adultery)

Also all the passages about the man being the god head of the family and the woman being his helper...

The dogma of religion always puts a man first and woman as subservient, slaves even to her husband, it's one of the reasons I cannot stomach organized religions.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your post or any other ones but just replying to the title...

Everyone....

Along these lines...I did.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet. Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

You post a topic about religion, make statements that make it blatantly clear you haven't read the bible completely, justify your own version of Christianity with nothing more than personal opinion and personal preference, talk about religion like you were shopping for the best deal on drapes to match your furniture (church with the most views that fit your own)...

and then when someone disagrees, you don't have time to be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet...

all the while, posting in a public forum...on the internet...addressing strangers.

Confused_Finn.gif

I refused to be dragged into the pointless argument because of a certain offensive picture the person posted. Again, it was not meant for anyone who disagrees with me. If you pay attention, I actually am responding and having conversations with people who have differing opinions.

ohhhh so that was me then.

the whole pic didn't show up but it was a witty take on the "coexist" logo.

im not a big fan of religion, so i'll just butt out. :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My dad is a preacher of a non-denominational Christian church. He has always taught me to be a pillar of strength and a warrior. Not all churches or preachers are like this. He calls my mom his "Princess Warrior". We badass and we know it. He will say all day long that most women are stronger than men in most circumstances.

Seriously! Your dad is a rare breed. You're very lucky, especially to have him as a father.

Yes. Religious folk is all warriors and religion is a battle. Oh wait. Maybe that part is right. *flashes peace sign*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This was your mother's church, correct?

Then your mother is attending a church that is upholding her traditional values. That is her choice. If you do not share her values, then attend a different church.

It's pretty simple.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The Eleven Satanic Rules of Earth;*

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

(*I'm not a Satanist - I'm Agnostic)

There's a mating signal?

Whoa!

What's the mating signal?

I'm gonna do it!

At sword practice tonight!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the promotion of slavery is wrong in any context.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This is still going on?
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Yes. Religious folk is all warriors and religion is a battle. Oh wait. Maybe that part is right. *flashes peace sign*
    *puts dukes up* HAHAHA

Oh, and I'm not talking specifically about Christianity. I'm NOT religious...at all. I'm saying my dad raised me to be a warrior in life...period. This has gotten me thru many battles not related to religion because religion sucks.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    To the OP about the previous verses:

You have to take into account the cultural times. In those days the churches were split up Men on one side and Women on the other. The Women would ask questions during the service, because in those time they were not taught the same as men and they would interrupt and therefore they were told not to ask questions. The idea of submissiveness has been distorted. The Feminism in America has come in to turn it into something its not. That and men have taken it and abused it also. Yes a wife is to be submissive to her husband. But the husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church, meaning giving of himself to her and serving her by laying his life down for her and leading her. The submissiveness in the bible does not indicate men being superior but being created as the leader. There is a set up authority: God leads the husband and the husband leads the wife. The wife is expected to submit to her husbands decisions unless it goes against God and His standards. That doesn't mean she gets trampled on but to look to her husband as the leader as she looks to Jesus as a leader. God set it up that way from the beginning. The command goes both ways. The husband has expectations and so does the wife. But people want to have their own independence and therefore do not want to be submissive to anyone especially God. Its not really about sexism as much as it is about independence from how God created things to be and its not really an offense from the church as it is towards God who created things. People want their life apart from the authority of God and It just gets twisted by a fallen nature and distorted into getting upset at a prayer that ask for men to be what they were created to be and women to be created to be. I don't say all this to be arrogant or anything. I really hope it doesn't come off that way. I just thought I would share a different point of view

Well I for one and so very glad that I have my future husband to show me how to live my life. Thank god for that because gosh darnit, I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have him guiding me.

There are about a million things that I severely disagree with in the paragraph that I have quoted. It literally makes me boil on the inside, I disagree so much. I want to hit someone.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    In before the lock...

I agree with the OP that some of the quotes provided could be viewed as sexist in the context they were presented to us. Maybe the sermon provided a different understanding of the meaning of the pamphlet - (or not).

Agree with many prior posts that the bible is sexist when considering today's views. But it wasn't sexist when it was written, and it is very specific about gender and roles.

FWIW - My church talks about the forbidden subjects fairly regularly...maybe a tough sermon every 4 or 6 months or so. They cover divorce, infidelity, abortion, homosexuality, pre-marital sex...etc. We always lose members after those sermons, but our church has grown from an idea to 3,000 members in about 13 years. If interested...my denomination is Protestant. NIV bible is our main source for sermons, but many use ESV for study and some use ASV.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    cat-gifs-shared-by-gplus-jay-puri_87.gif
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    To the OP about the previous verses:

You have to take into account the cultural times. In those days the churches were split up Men on one side and Women on the other. The Women would ask questions during the service, because in those time they were not taught the same as men and they would interrupt and therefore they were told not to ask questions. The idea of submissiveness has been distorted. The Feminism in America has come in to turn it into something its not. That and men have taken it and abused it also. Yes a wife is to be submissive to her husband. But the husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church, meaning giving of himself to her and serving her by laying his life down for her and leading her. The submissiveness in the bible does not indicate men being superior but being created as the leader. There is a set up authority: God leads the husband and the husband leads the wife. The wife is expected to submit to her husbands decisions unless it goes against God and His standards. That doesn't mean she gets trampled on but to look to her husband as the leader as she looks to Jesus as a leader. God set it up that way from the beginning. The command goes both ways. The husband has expectations and so does the wife. But people want to have their own independence and therefore do not want to be submissive to anyone especially God. Its not really about sexism as much as it is about independence from how God created things to be and its not really an offense from the church as it is towards God who created things. People want their life apart from the authority of God and It just gets twisted by a fallen nature and distorted into getting upset at a prayer that ask for men to be what they were created to be and women to be created to be. I don't say all this to be arrogant or anything. I really hope it doesn't come off that way. I just thought I would share a different point of view

You're actually trying to justify turning an entire gender into followers and another gender into leaders? And this is okay how? The answer is, it's not okay. And no phrasing of it will ever make it okay.
This discussion has been closed.