Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First off...I would eat the cake and ice cream. However, I have some friends at work that made a cake from an actual watermelon with whipped topping as the icing. It was really great! They said they found out about on another website.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    buy a smaller cake, and skip the ice cream, if it's that big a deal. This isn't rocket surgery. You're going to ruin birthday celebrations for the rest of your life?

Rocket surgery.

snooki-laugh.gif

Ummmm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rocket+surgery
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Just eat it but don't eat a lot. It isn't no fun without cake + ice cream xD
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This site has small recipes you can make-- most of them make 4-6 cupcakes.

http://www.dessertfortwo.com/recipe-index-2/cakes/

If you don't want to have cake that's fine. But don't punish your kids because you're counting calories.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    buy a smaller cake, and skip the ice cream, if it's that big a deal. This isn't rocket surgery. You're going to ruin birthday celebrations for the rest of your life?

Rocket surgery.

snooki-laugh.gif

Ummmm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rocket+surgery

I have a new phrase now!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Make six cupcakes.
    Usually a full recipe is a dozen, so just cut it in half.
    Small serving size, still just as delicious!

Otherwise one of these might be nice? If you are into fruit~
    watermelon.jpg?w=870
    I had these at my birthdays as a kid, I loved fruit more than cake :P
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have an idea of something you could eat.

grinch-smile.html
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try this!! the cake uses Zucchini instead of butter and the icing is made using Avocado!
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/09/chocolate-zucchini-cupcakes-with-avocado-frosting.html

As for the icecream, why not try frozen yogurt instead?! :3

I should be happy that there's not any cauliflower in this... but I'm not.

I know it sounds awful, but chocolate zucchini muffins are delicious. The zucchini brings a lot of moisture and the flavor works so well with the chocolate that it tastes darker and richer than ordinary chocolate cake. I can't speak to this particular recipe, but I don't actually think the general notion it was invented for diet purposes, but more like how we all wound up with carrot cake (also zucchini grows like crazy so you have to find a way to use it all). So don't discount the idea out of hand. I've never had avocado frosting but I have had avocado-lavender sorbet at a fancy restaurant and it was tasty, almost marshmallow-like in flavor.

That said, OP, either make something you like and budget it in, or try angelfood cake with fruit. I've done both and both feel like treats, which is the important thing.

I'm not knocking zucchini. There's a reason I have 5 plants in my garden that are just about to go through their first harvest. I love zucchini in all forms including baked goods like bread and muffins but if you like cake and ice cream, cutting out 50 calories per slice for 'health' reasons by substituting zucchini for butter (while potentially sacrificing the flavor you love) just seems... sad.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This.

7055669.png?511

I'd be really, really angry if I cut open a cake and got this.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but as an adult (let alone as a KID), I would be PISSED if someone tried to pass off strawberries & shortcake (or watermelon cake, or zucchini cake) as my BIRTH DAY cake. If you MUST change tradition due to an inability to portion control, try a fresh fruit tart instead.But I mean... why not just portion control?

One meal won't make you skinny, just like one meal won't make you fat.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Why celebrate with bad food at all? It's just perpetuating negative attachments to food... I know society has celebrated with food for thousands of years, but when society starts having all the health issues it has today it's time to break that attachment. I mean people should be able to have alcohol every now and then right? Just not alcoholics (a.k.a. people who have a hard time controlling what they drink). So why do we view an alcoholics attachment to alcohol so much differently than unhealthy people's attachment to unhealthy food?

Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against a healthy person eating a piece of cake and ice cream, but if a family has multiple members who shouldn't be partaking in indulgence then just leave it out. Would you celebrate with booze in a family that has several members who are alcoholics? Substitution is like replacing the whiskey with wine because it's a bit healthier and not drunk Bob's favorite.

In the same paragraph you said "bad food" AND said not to let food have power over you. HUH? Food is not "bad," eating it in excess is. Moderation, my friend.

Seriously, labeling food as bad IS giving it power.

giphy.gif

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

big.jpeg#curtsy%20gif%20314x240
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This.

7055669.png?511

NO that's an abomination
    robot-punching-grandma-nan-old-woman-face-13587152846.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This.

7055669.png?511

Yeah, me too.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So how do the kids feel about not getting cake or ice cream for their birthdays? Will they not be allowed cake or ice cream when they go to other kids' birthday parties either?

THIS!

if kids can't have cake and ice cream on their birthdays when can they? 6 days out of 365 will not ruin you. If you don't want cake don't eat it but let the kids have a little treat though. Everyone can continue to be healthy. You can have your cake and eat it too!!
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the folks here... I am not going to go out knowing I missed cake on my last birthday on earth! I may have cut down on my drinking and eliminated a lot of things, but on my birthday I am having a piece of store-bought cake.

And the portion control thing is important. If you are going to have any success long-term with weight loss, you have to change your life. And if you live a life where no one ever offers you a piece of cake again? Well, that's a life that would suck. Food, no matter what it looks like, is not your enemy. Developing a relationship with food that doesn't involve fear and does involve better choices is a great relationship that will help you more in the long run.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    diet soda cake, and frozen yogurt or sherbet.

Is that like a coke cake, just with diet? Interesting! (Coke cake is so awesome)

yes, its a box of cake cake mix with any type of diet soda, and 2 egg whites. The egg whites are key, it doesn't rise very much without it. Most recent creation was a yellow cake mix with diet ginger ale, and I made a sugar free frosting for it using Stevia instead of sugar.

I think I need to try this...

read my edit
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This.

7055669.png?511

That is NOT a cake. It's a glorified fruit salad.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    they're kids. Let them have cake and ice cream on their birthday.

Be a grown up and cut yourself a smaller piece.

I don't give my kids a ton of sugar, but on their birthdays, I'm going to let them have the usual birthday goodies.
  • kvdlc
    kvdlc Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What we have done is instead of getting a big cake we bought or made cupcakes. As, for the ice cream we will buy those little small cups of ice cream. I agree you should enjoy your cake and ice cream and save some calories during your day to be able to eat them! Just a suggestion hopefully this will help you out!!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This.

7055669.png?511

^^^

That said, I would totally eat that if I knew going in that that's what it was. However, it isn't cake.