Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Few things sincerely bug me more than seeing a morbidly obese person using the electric carts meant for the disabled and elderly at the store. Like, really??? So, to answer your question, no, being fat is not a disability. You can't get SS for that anyway. Can you get it for the Beetus? I don't even know...
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    But you did doubt my conviction on what I would do should the situation arise. That's your opinion, based on zero knowledge of me, which is why I said it is irrelevant (I should have added, "to me"). As for selfish, what is selfish about not wanting to burden my family with tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills? What is selfish about not wanting my kids around a hospital bed while their father is coughing up blood and dying? It's not that I'm ready to punch my ticket; it's that I want my family to be able to get on with their lives as soon as possible, with as little burden and/or trauma when that time comes. If that's selfish, then I guess I'm a selfish *kitten*.

Suicide is pretty traumatic on a family.

Speaking as someone who's father put a bullet into his head when I was still in my early 20's, I find it asinine that someone would compare dying from cancer to suicide in this manner.

I don't think avoiding treatment is suicide, either. It's why I strongly believe in voluntary euthanasia. A terminally ill person should absolutely be able to set the terms for his or her death. And the trauma on the family is likely going to be very different as there are no "why" questions and internal blame for family members. IMO, of course.

The funny thing is, I never said anything about avoiding treatment, even though it seems that many are believing that to be the case. Should I develop lung cancer in the future, you better believe I'll seek treatment....like I said, I'm not ready to punch my ticket. However, in the immortal words of Mr. Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations."
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    But you did doubt my conviction on what I would do should the situation arise. That's your opinion, based on zero knowledge of me, which is why I said it is irrelevant (I should have added, "to me"). As for selfish, what is selfish about not wanting to burden my family with tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills? What is selfish about not wanting my kids around a hospital bed while their father is coughing up blood and dying? It's not that I'm ready to punch my ticket; it's that I want my family to be able to get on with their lives as soon as possible, with as little burden and/or trauma when that time comes. If that's selfish, then I guess I'm a selfish *kitten*.

Suicide is pretty traumatic on a family.

Speaking as someone who's father put a bullet into his head when I was still in my early 20's, I find it asinine that someone would compare dying from cancer to suicide in this manner.

I don't think avoiding treatment is suicide, either. It's why I strongly believe in voluntary euthanasia. A terminally ill person should absolutely be able to set the terms for his or her death. And the trauma on the family is likely going to be very different as there are no "why" questions and internal blame for family members. IMO, of course.

The funny thing is, I never said anything about avoiding treatment, even though it seems that many are believing that to be the case. Should I develop lung cancer in the future, you better believe I'll seek treatment....like I said, I'm not ready to punch my ticket. However, in the immortal words of Mr. Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations."

I should have been more clear - avoiding or ceasing treatment would have explained my opinion better.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Being FAT does not limit movemt or activities. However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Therefore, depending on how you use the term "fat", it can be considred a disability. It doesn't matter if you can do something about it or not, in that state, it is a disability. The only difference is you can easily fix this disability, compared to other disabilities.

ETA: I will argue that being obese is indeed a disability. Have you ever seen an obese person walk, clap their hands, or tie ther shoelaces? It's nto exatly easy for them. You would go so far to say that their movement is limited, not unlike a disability.

Being fat is not a disability. That being said, most people are only considered fat by society when, in fact, they are actually obese.

I am considered morbidly obese and I would be effing mad if someone called me disabled. I got fat because I got lazy and ate garbage. I can still walk/jog 5-8 miles a day, tie my shoes and clap my hands. Disability my *ss!

Just because someone CHOOSES not to or even try does NOT make them disabled.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Few things sincerely bug me more than seeing a morbidly obese person using the electric carts meant for the disabled and elderly at the store. Like, really??? So, to answer your question, no, being fat is not a disability. You can't get SS for that anyway. Can you get it for the Beetus? I don't even know...

What if they were a morbidly obese person who just happened to have foot surgery earlier in the week?

When I had three plantar warts removed, I could barely walk.

What if they have debilitating arthritis and the constant pain and lack of mobility leads to behaviors that made them become fat?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Judgment will always be judgment.

QFT
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Here you go. http://bit.ly/1r3uLU4
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Someone should smack you for this statement.

That's like saying that someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder is not an acceptable excuse for anxiety.

Or saying that ADHD is not an acceptable excuse to do poorly in school and that person is perfectly capable to keep control over it without any help at all.

You people make me sick. It's no wonder there are so many mentally unstable people slipping through the system and going on wild shooting rampages. It's because everyone else is going "oh, they're fine. they should ust snap out of it and behave like a "normal" human being."

FFS.

1+ lets slap that person together.
    People and there close minded views.

I admit. I made this statement. I did not fully expound on it because I was focused on the other issue in that post. I wrote like 3 long paragraphs about the topic and closed with the one sentence, and that is what you chose to rail at. My bad.

What I mean is that depression, while debilitating for some, is not directly related to obesity, as the case with thyroid conditions, and therefore, should not be considered as a contributing factor towards determining the eligibility for disability. If the person is depressed and also addressing mobility issues, then I would consider these two separate, unrelated disabilities. But to simply say "I binge eat when I'm feeling down and now I am obese" is not an acceptable rationale when determining eligibility for disability.

Surely, it can be concluded from this thread that obesity should be considered a disability on a case-by-case basis. Which I do believe is exactly how it is handled so this thread is basically pointless.

Actually, eating disorders are parity conditions in the DSM-V which may make having one a disability. I know that when I was in treatment for mine, the HR department told my boss and project managers that they had to make reasonable accomodations so I could go to my program. That sounds a lot like ADA speak to me.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You can get frosted mini-wheats.

But, for god's sake, what a judgy list:

http://dph.georgia.gov/sites/dph.georgia.gov/files Georgia%20WIC%20Approved%20Foods%20List%20English%2012-1-2013.pdf

No. There are no restrictions for food stamps.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

What if they were a morbidly obese person who just happened to have foot surgery earlier in the week?

What if they have debilitating arthritis and the constant pain and lack of mobility leads to behaviors that made them become fat?

Seriously. Sometimes I can't walk very well, or talk at all due to my brain condition. I don't even have the courage to leave my house because of jerks like the OP and the above for fear of judgement. That's such **** when you really think about it.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't think it should be a disability but I wouldn't assume anything about anyone ! I used to do that but as i got older I seen how stupid i was for assuming things about people .
  • likitisplit
    Options

Seriously. Sometimes I can't walk very well, or talk at all due to my brain condition. I don't even have the courage to leave my house because of jerks like the OP and the above for fear of judgement. That's such **** when you really think about it.

Just remember that 80% of the people on here aren't like that.
  • angiesammich
    angiesammich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Your post is the only one I've read that is based in reality. I have never been morbidly obese but I have always been a "bigger girl" and there is nothing wrong with a shift in society, supporting differing body types and encouraging men and women to be confident and secure with their bodies. I am extremely healthy! I eat whole natural foods, work out regularly, ride my bike and play softball and tennis. My doctor comments on the fact that I have amazing blood pressure and cholesterol.

Regardless of the way someone became morbidly obese, once they can no longer move around their home and complete daily living functions independently, THEY HAVE A DISABILITY!!!

Her comment about the carts at Walmart is ridiculous! Who are you to judge who's disability is worse than another's or who is more deserving of assistance? Ugh!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

If people who get foodstamps were required to get healthy food only, they would either starve to death or healthy food would have to be heavily subsidized (like unhealthy foods are now) or food stamps per person would have to about triple.

Any of these sounds like a fine idea to me except the first one. Starving people have a disconcerting tendency to riot.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    To the man judging his "lazy" neighbor, how about you? You know her so well, why not try including her? Does it make you folks feel good about yourselves to speak about others with such righteous overtones? Grow up already.

I include her as little as possible. I tolerate her because my wife doesn't have as big of an issue with her as I do. As I stated before, being fat and lazy is only one of her problems....she is a sack of s**t. She games the welfare system, she was/is a s**ty mother (two of her three kids are in prison). She's had numerous dogs taken away because she'll just open her front door to let them do their business, and some people have been bitten (not to mention she leaves the dog crap all over the place). I could go on and on. Why? Because I know this woman. I'm not generalizing about everyone, I'm speaking of one person that I know.

As for growing up, do you know me, or this woman? Nice to meet you, kettle.

You are judging by what you see, You don't really know this person do you. You would be surprised what is really going on to her.

You know what, you're right. I should totally disregard the years of being around this lady, all the evidence I have observed, all the times her actions have justified my view in her. I should listen to a random stranger on the Internet who has never met me or this woman and believe that it just isn't possible for some people in this world to be rotten to the core.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    If being fat is a disability, why not give all fat people handicap stickers on their cars so they don't have to walk as far? Give them all tax-payer funded disability checks and wheelchairs and stair lifts in their houses so they don't have to move as much?

People think that their poor health choices make them deserve pity and special treatment from everyone else. The term disability is being used too loosely and it's insulting to people with legitimate disabilities. Why should all the scooters in grocery stores and all the handicap parking spaces be taken by someone who could use the little bit of extra exercise, when an 85 year old war vet or someone with an illness/disorder (cancer, CF, CP, etc.) needs it more? Come on people, have some responsibility for yourself and your choices.

(I'm talking about BEING fat, as in choosing to scoop up your half gallon of ice cream with twinkies while watching entire seasons of tv shows on netflix in one sitting fat. NOT fat as a side effect of another REAL disability.)

You sound like you're a bit of *kitten*.

I just spit out my water.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

Yes