The Real Danger of Smoothies and Juicing

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Based on this:
    I wish a company DID pay me for this...

Fruit doesnt have any sugar in it...sugar is something that can only exist if you refine something...a banana doesnt have sugar it has a holistic nature to it...if you refine the banana you can get sugar from it...but when its a BANANA it doesnt behave like refined sugar because its a banana...they are totally unrelated...

the food industry has trained people to think about 1 nutrient in an item...cant have fruit its got too much sugar...cant have avacado its got too much fat...really? God put these fruits and vegetables on the planet to eat and give us a healthy life...so eat them and be healthy!

And then this:

What?

Nothing wrong with Dairy!

keep telling yourself that...you're headed to an early grave...better get some life insurance

I really hope you're being sarcastic because fruit does have sugar, avocados do have fat and there isn't anything wrong with dairy. I drink milk, eat yogurt, fruit and avocados. Ain't nothing wrong with me nor will I be "heading for an early grave"

or so you think....

this will show you medical and scientific research that backs up my anti dairy claims...but you probably wont want to educate yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ

A youtube video of someones opinion proves to me nothing.

Living life sir you are doing it wrong.

Take your utter nonsense elsewhere.
  • bravesfan01
    bravesfan01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    haha really? this study is BS...the sugars that you get from blending or juicing are NOT the same and do not have the same effect on your body as processed sugar in cookies, sweets etc. ive been juicing and blending for 5 years...Ive lost 100 lbs, Im more fit and active than I have ever been and my blood tests are excellent....

:huh:

I'm juxt wondering what company pays you to say this stuff.

Fruit doesnt have any sugar in it...sugar is something that can only exist if you refine something...a banana doesnt have sugar it has a holistic nature to it...if you refine the banana you can get sugar from it...but when its a BANANA it doesnt behave like refined sugar because its a banana...they are totally unrelated...

the food industry has trained people to think about 1 nutrient in an item...cant have fruit its got too much sugar...cant have avacado its got too much fat...really? God put these fruits and vegetables on the planet to eat and give us a healthy life...so eat them and be healthy!

I'm not downing your smoothies, but this does not make sense.

Wake up in the morning, take your blood sugar, eat a banana, then take it again in 30 minutes.

I am pretty sure that the SUGAR in the banana is going to raise your sugar level in your blood.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That being said, to suggest that fruits do not contain sugar is just plain WRONG.

But... but... it's holistic (she says as she munches on peaches and string cheese)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Is this Keele the Banana Lady's BFF or something?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Eating vegetables can cut the death rate by half? That video was hilarious, he really believed what he was saying!

Please, no more, my sides hurt!
  • natethegreat80
    natethegreat80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

No, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Fruit does contain sugar. That sugar is fructose. Fructose is almost wholly processed by the liver and thus there are some scientists who suspect a link between over consumption of fructose, even from whole fruits, with non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome and there was some research suggesting this might be the case. A recent study, however, has indicated that is is not fructose consumption that is linked with non-alcoholic fatty acid disease but instead excess calories of any type. It is likely that we will see a good deal of conflicting information as each new study works toward building a full understanding on the dietary effects of fruit sugars, etc.

That being said, to suggest that fruits do not contain sugar is just plain WRONG.

does fruit contain fructose...yes...but does it have the same effects on the body as refined sugar...NO.....our bodies and cells run on fructose...why do you think God made these fruits for us to eat? the point was bananas and refined sugars are NOT the same... and I never said that an avocado didnt have fat in it...
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    gullible_e2530c_2713895.jpg

Bazinga!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Exactly!
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If they want to juice, let them. If they don't, cool. Don't worry about anyone but yourself :flowerforyou:

Hooray!!!!! Finally!!!!! Thank you :)
  • asdowe13
    Options

No, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Fruit does contain sugar. That sugar is fructose. Fructose is almost wholly processed by the liver and thus there are some scientists who suspect a link between over consumption of fructose, even from whole fruits, with non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome and there was some research suggesting this might be the case. A recent study, however, has indicated that is is not fructose consumption that is linked with non-alcoholic fatty acid disease but instead excess calories of any type. It is likely that we will see a good deal of conflicting information as each new study works toward building a full understanding on the dietary effects of fruit sugars, etc.

does fruit contain fructose...yes...but does it have the same effects on the body as refined sugar...NO.....our bodies and cells run on fructose...why do you think God made these fruits for us to eat? the point was bananas and refined sugars are NOT the same... and I never said that an avocado didnt have fat in it...

Pretty sure the trees/bushes put the fruit there, as a way to grow more trees/bushes and not for us to eat.

How are refined sugars different? How do our bodies distinguish the difference?
    Do you even science?
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    Based on this:

And then this:

What?

keep telling yourself that...you're headed to an early grave...better get some life insurance

I really hope you're being sarcastic because fruit does have sugar, avocados do have fat and there isn't anything wrong with dairy. I drink milk, eat yogurt, fruit and avocados. Ain't nothing wrong with me nor will I be "heading for an early grave"

or so you think....

this will show you medical and scientific research that backs up my anti dairy claims...but you probably wont want to educate yourself...

you obviously are going to continue to be an uneducated fool...who struggles with losing weight...just trying to help you out...but i guess you want your kids to grow up without a dad...

Wow. Uncalled for much?

Sorry dude but like I said I eat fruit. I eat avocados. I drink milk and eat cheese. Doesn't look like I'm struggling with my weight to me.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options

Pretty sure the trees/bushes put the fruit there, as a way to grow more trees/bushes and not for us to eat.

Do you even science?

He YouTubes. It's the same thing, right?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I could respond with about ten different thoughts here...but I'm just gunna post so this thread shows up in my list and I can continue to be entertained. Don't mind me. Carry on.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Oh how I wish there was a like button. This thread has made for some entertaining reading!

Oh and I can't leave without saying.... Ah yes the Daily Mail, that great scientific research journal that never spouts sht!!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In to "educate" my self later, for more humor later, to better understand why my diabetic friend can't eat fruit since apparently in does not contain sugar, and to see what page the cat gifs start on.

Oh natethegreat8, look at my ticker, lost 81lbs over the past year eating dairy, sugar, and all other foods you probably consider evil.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    MFP at it's finest... right here, right now.

Dairy kills you and your children will be parent-less.

O-O-O-K-a-y...
  • natethegreat80
    natethegreat80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Do you even science?

lol what?!? ok...this is my last response to you because you are spouting nonsense...so what the heck do you eat? twinkies and hohos?
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    MFP at it's finest... right here, right now.

Dairy kills you and your children will be parent-less.

O-O-O-K-a-y...

You forgot that fruit doesn't contain sugar. Mix that with the dairy and you're a ticking time bomb!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A recent paper published by a emeritus professor of biochemistry shows that juicing and smoothies are much worse for you than simply eating the fruit when it comes to weight loss.
    Anything like this that you do to a food, such as grinding, pressing and even chewing, accelerates the rate at which the sugar is released into the blood. It increases the surface area of the food - making it easier to absorb and increasing the rate of digestion in the intestine.

Similarly, eating an apple whole releases less sugar into the blood than apple puree, which in turn releases less sugar than drinking apple juice, according to a study

It appears that every turn in the blender or juicer is simply akin to predigestion and it's allowing your body to absorb the sugars much faster since there's little for the stomach to do after you process it before eating it. Smoothies look to be even worse. The professor warns that the overuse of them can lead to obesity and type 2 diabetes.
    Our bodies have only a limited capacity to deal with high levels of fructose - the fruit sugar found in fruit juices and smoothies, and in high-fructose corn syrup, used as a sweetener in store-bought biscuits, cakes, ice creams and drinks.
    That's because it sneaks past the insulin system.

High intake of fructose bypasses the body's normal processes of controlling the amount of sugar in the bloodstream - the body produces the hormone insulin to use or store the glucose it gets from food. But high levels of fructose don't stimulate the body to produce insulin and hormones that suppress appetite.

As a result, fatty substances can build up in the liver, causing them to become enlarged and inefficient, leading ultimately to obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Be careful the next time someone tries to get you on their smoothie plan or tells you that juicing is better for you. You're really just sabotaging your own weight loss progress and you're putting yourself at risk of gaining weight even while you think you're doing something good for yourself.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2692057/Dont-eat-mash-dont-cook-olive-oil-DO-eat-unripe-bananas-Think-know-rules-healthy-eating-A-scientist-lots-surprises.html#ixzz37YV4ASNF

It doesn't matter how fast or slow the sugar gets into your system if you don't have diabetes or hypoglycemia. In the end what matters for weight, is the amount of sugar, period. All things being equal, the amounts are the same, although it it certainly easier to get a lot more calories when you are juicing instead of chewing.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Based on this:

And then this:

What?

or so you think....

you obviously are going to continue to be an uneducated fool...who struggles with losing weight...just trying to help you out...but i guess you want your kids to grow up without a dad...

Sorry but i am no uneducated fool, I do not struggle with losing weight, you are giving out ridiculous information, and I will be around a long time to take care of my kids.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am SO CONFUSED!

Sugar is not sugar if it comes out of a banana, but it is sugar if it comes out of a strawberry, but once you chew it it turns into rainbows whether or not it started as a sugarless banana or a sugarful strawberry. Dairy kills us all, especially Mayo, because that's the whitest of dairy products and should be avoided along with Avocados which contain no fat and are thusly sabotaging us and leading to cankles.

Am I getting this straight?? Am I right?