Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Haven't you even watched one of those occupational safety videos at work? Lifting with your back is very bad and always leads to injury. You are supposed to bend your knees and lift with your legs. This is what squats are superior to deadlifts.

my mum used to work in health and safety (now retired).... she taught me the correct way to lift boxes and stuff when I was a kid... the form is the same as what's good form for deadlifts. If you're trying to lift the bar using your back when deadlifting then you're doing it wrong.

You clearly don't understand what I am telling you. I am referring to the deadlifts with the stiff legs and your butt sticking up in the air.

There is such a thing as Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, you know. If you're not totally inept you can perform the movement without injury.

^I do a stiff-legged deadlift

So do I, along with sumo and single-legged and in fact not only have I NOT had any back injuries from doing deadlifts, after dealing for years with a herniated disc, my back is stronger and haven't had anymore back problems.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and have read NROLFW... In my gym (whilst I've been there) no one deadlifts but me. Never seen anyone else pendlay row either. About 5% of people using the squat rack do a full squat (butt parallel to knees). But no one in my gym even racks their weights so *shrug*

I LOVE DEADLIFTING

My daughter and I started stronglifts about a month ago. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone do deadlifts or bent over rows either. The squat rack is always busy at our gym.

Hardly anyone racks their weights at my gym either!!!!!! Annoying. There are signs everywhere that state "Please re-rack weights"
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Haven't you even watched one of those occupational safety videos at work? Lifting with your back is very bad and always leads to injury. You are supposed to bend your knees and lift with your legs. This is what squats are superior to deadlifts.

my mum used to work in health and safety (now retired).... she taught me the correct way to lift boxes and stuff when I was a kid... the form is the same as what's good form for deadlifts. If you're trying to lift the bar using your back when deadlifting then you're doing it wrong.

You clearly don't understand what I am telling you. I am referring to the deadlifts with the stiff legs and your butt sticking up in the air.

There is such a thing as Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, you know. If you're not totally inept you can perform the movement without injury.

So do I, along with sumo and single-legged and in fact not only have I NOT had any back injuries from doing deadlifts, after dealing for years with a herniated disc, my back is stronger and haven't had anymore back problems.

I never really got the thing about lift with your legs and not your back. If you don't use your back, you're doing it wrong. Your back is complete with a ton of muscles designed for things like, I don't know, liftng?:smile: I have a kick *kitten* set of erectors from using my back.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I never really got the thing about lift with your legs and not your back. If you don't use your back, you're doing it wrong. Your back is complete with a ton of muscles designed for things like, I don't know, liftng?:smile: I have a kick *kitten* set of erectors from using my back.

yeah...ironically I even do the deadlift on back & Bicep day! - typically tho if I'm throwing shoulder work into my routine as well....

...usually this is from a scoop 2 many of C4 :wink:

:laugh:
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I did deadlifts today they're one of my favorites. after I was done I tried to see if there were any other parts of my body that I could work out that didn't feel worn out after dead lifting. All I could come up with was abs. Everything else was spent.
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After reading all of this, I shall invent a new exercise combining a conventional deadlift with a back squat at the same time. It will be the greatest exercise on the history of forever and I will be hailed as the king of all fitness. I shall call it 'The Dead Squat'. Prepare to be amazed!!!!!!
  • BrofessorPHD
    BrofessorPHD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OP check out the LAB gym if your in STL
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Romanian dead lifts are my favourite!
  • ginslife
    ginslife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    what is a dead lift?
  • ginslife
    ginslife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think I have an idea what they are Not for me had a masecatmy and breast reconstruction on my left side I avoid lifting too much over my head I do squats as low as I can am sure not to let my knee extend past my toes
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think I have an idea what they are Not for me had a masecatmy and breast reconstruction on my left side I avoid lifting too much over my head I do squats as low as I can am sure not to let my knee extend past my toes

my knees go over my toes every time i squat and i've squatted for 26 years now, some of those years with some heavy weights that weighed more than i do. depending on the length of the bones in your legs then you most definitely have to have your knees go past your toes if you want to do a proper squat.

also here's a deadlift... if you're lifting anything over your head in a dead then you are doing it very very wrong :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBucAGzRBU
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    After reading all of this, I shall invent a new exercise combining a conventional deadlift with a back squat at the same time. It will be the greatest exercise on the history of forever and I will be hailed as the king of all fitness. I shall call it 'The Dead Squat'. Prepare to be amazed!!!!!!
    I think the guy next to me was doing this. The more I watched him (although also trying to not stare), I think he just had short arms and long legs which is why he looked like he went into a squat, but I think he was dropping his but too much. It just looked odd.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think the guy next to me was doing this. The more I watched him (although also trying to not stare), I think he just had short arms and long legs which is why he looked like he went into a squat, but I think he was dropping his but too much. It just looked odd.

This sounds like a lifting complex we did called the bear complex. You cleaned the weight to your shoulders, pressed it, then lowered it onto your back, did a back squat then pressed it again. Goal was to do the highest possible weight, so whichever of those movements was your weakest was the limiting factor
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I think they just call it a good morning when you dead lift and squat at the same time LOL
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I go to a Planet Fitness so efficient exercises are frowned upon. The one I go to primarily does have barbells, but they only go to 60lbs. One of my side goals is to be able to easily scoop my girlfriend and carry her in a manly way.

I do heavier dumbell squats, but it just isn't the same.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This sounds like a lifting complex we did called the bear complex. You cleaned the weight to your shoulders, pressed it, then lowered it onto your back, did a back squat then pressed it again. Goal was to do the highest possible weight, so whichever of those movements was your weakest was the limiting factor

YAY bear complex!!! I like to super set them with walking lunges- good times.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I live in STL and I deadlift and other people in my gym deadlift. Maybe just depends on the gym?

and toasted ravioli is awesome!

Where are you working out, can I ask? I'm at the Carondelet Park YMCA.

I workout at Anytime Fitness in Ballwin
  • Alidecker
    Options
    My gym is a small Anytime Fitness. I have never seen anyone other than me deadlift and I've only ever seen one other person squat outside of the smith machine, and only 2 or 3 squatting with it. The trainer even told me that I should use the Smith machine instead. It's sad, but I just hope that I'm not there at the same time as people who do.

I didn't realize how much difference there was between gyms of the same brand. I go to an Anytime Fitness, and like half of the gym is super stoked because we just got a new power cage, two deadlift platforms, and new bumper plates. There are people doing oly lifts all the time. I had to wait for like 45 minutes (and the END of my back workout) to do deadlifts the other day because all of the oly bars were being used; deadlift, OHP, cleans - you name it, we have people doing it (yes, that includes the dudebros doing curls in the squat rack).

I go to an Anytime Fitness also. It seems like our gym has changed recently to more oly lifting in the last year or so. I will change my workout if people are in the power rack and we did recently get another oly bar, which will help. There have always been people doing dumbbell squats and deadlifts though. We don't have a Smith machine.
  • Alidecker
    Options
    I'm from STL and I loooooove deadlifts. I workout at home, which is probably why you've never seen me. BTW, hate IMOs and toasted ravioli.

Gooey butter cake perhaps?

Actually I make my own, better than anything you can get in a bakery.

You have my full attention!

I have a good recipe too, and it's easy....uses a box cake mix. It is delicious.