Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options

Replies

• ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Have you ever had that thought?

Obviously I won't do that but it sounds pretty amazing to me.

Losing it the easiest way is the biggest bs I ever heard of. You want life change, people sometimes fail right after the surgery. You can force yourself to eat less and lose weight naturally. Look at me, it is 100% possible.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

I know people who have done it. The shows are about as accurate as TV ever is.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    When I was a child, I was very skinny. I used to hear all the grown ups talk about dieting. I wished that I was fat so that I could go on a diet too. It was kind of messed up. :wink:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous, i'm jealous that they're getting the skin removal surgery free though lol. I chickened out of gastric bypass twice and i think it was for the best. I've seen what it can do to people mentally and physically. I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way and save my pennies for skin surgery if needed, besides i heard that surgery hurts like hell.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    NO
    you forgot something
    :angry:
    FIFY
    \m/
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous, i'm jealous that they're getting the skin removal surgery free though lol. I chickened out of gastric bypass twice and i think it was for the best. I've seen what it can do to people mentally and physically. I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way and save my pennies for skin surgery if needed, besides i heard that surgery hurts like hell.

Good for you!! (yeah, I think its the free skin removal that gets me, cuz if I lose all my weight my tummy is going to look like a deflated beach ball haha)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    No...I've never had that thought ever.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No! Just No! It is not just the procedure, the post surgery recovery, but the lifetime of battling with what you eat, the amount, the uncomfortableness of it all! Oh No!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat 3000 calories and lose weight, or burn 200 calories going for a little walk. But since the point of all that is to get fit, it probably makes more sense to just be jealous of fit people.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You might want to ponder as to why you have that mindset.

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place. (and the tv makes it look quick and easy and who wouldn't want that? they don't show the pain or suffering, just look, I was fat and now I'm not and life is awesome)

What shows are you watching? There's been a few I've seen where the person being filmed dies.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    gastric bypass is surgery.

1 in 7 people experience complications from the surgery, and 1 in 200 people die within 6 months due to complications.

http://www.obesitysurgery-info.com/surgicalmortalitygwclark.htm
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

No. It's still not easy.....they have to work hard. And why would you want to go through surgery when you don't have to...That's a last resort. There is no easy way.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Uh, no!

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

I'd have to more than double my weight in order to get one of those surgeries. And who the hell wants to NEED surgery in order to lose weight? Plus, there's nothing "easy" about weight loss surgery. Possible complications, pain, hardly being able to hold food down, loose skin from rapid weight loss.

I'll stick to my slight calorie deficit and lifting, thanks.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the idea that this is the easy way can lead to stigma for those who have to choose it. It's a major surgery that should only be undertaken if the alternative is a greater risk to someone's life. And as others have noted, there's nothing easy about it.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place.

Ummmm...I'm not lazy but here I am. Anyway, I actually worked with a woman who purposely gained 60 pounds so Ontario health care would cover the surgery. For 6 months she walked in with a dozen doughnuts and ate them before work...

Then she had the surgery. But, she had no idea how to eat. At first, she couldn't eat, that's what the surgery does. Everything she ate made her sick. After awhile that wears off a little bit. And every day she came in with a bag of Doritos and a Coke for breakfast. Her justification was that she could only eat half.

She did lose a lot of weight. But, our health care will only take care of the skin if you've stayed below a certain weight for 2 years. So, there she was, she had gained most of it back over the course of a year, but still had this horrible baggy skin that she couldn't afford to get removed.

It's not a magic solution, I'm not bashing it as a solution, but to do it well, and right, it takes just as much effort as calories in/out.

To be fair, I have a friend who did it and did it well, and looks fantastic. But, she still is careful with everything she eats.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Good for you!! (yeah, I think its the free skin removal that gets me, cuz if I lose all my weight my tummy is going to look like a deflated beach ball haha)

You're what? 31? maybe 32? You'd be amazed what your skin will do if you lose the weight and keep it off.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You might want to ponder as to why you have that mindset.

lol I'm obviously lazy or I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place. (and the tv makes it look quick and easy and who wouldn't want that? they don't show the pain or suffering, just look, I was fat and now I'm not and life is awesome)

What shows are you watching? There's been a few I've seen where the person being filmed dies.

I've never seen someone die on the shows. I can't remember what it was called, it was one I'd never seen before. Showing lots of people doing the surgery. and if they showed someone uncomfortable they'd show them again a week later saying how it was the best decision ever. I have seen many shows where they fail though so I do understand its not foolproof.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know how you feel. But you have to remember how difficult the surgery is. People die from it. And the skin removal poses problems of its own. I don't know anyone personally who has had any kind of weight loss surgery and has kept it off. The only people I know who have lost weight and kept it off did it the old fashioned way, and completely changed their lives. I hope to be the latter.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think you are seriously misguided and need to revisit the process you used to form these opinions.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You get that all surgery is inherently painful, right? I don't care how many painkillers they give you, recovery isn't pain-free. If you're happy with the results, you tend not to remember how genuinely painful the recovery was, and most people won't tell the truth about recovery pain (especially when it comes to elective surgery, like WLS, because then people criticize them for complaining or say they "brought it on themselves"). It's always a safe bet to assume that recovery will take longer and hurt a hell of a lot more than anyone tells you, and that's including the doctor.