Jealous of the Super Obese?

Options

Replies

• Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I saw this movie once where this guy become amazing in karate in like, two hours. And I was like, why can't I have a training montage and learn how to do karate like that in a few hours?
  • mszombiemonster
    mszombiemonster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No. God no, I'd rather be miserable for serveral months/a few years from doing it the right was instead of cheating for an instant skinny and I am one of those super fat people currently. Not to mention I could think of a ton of things I'd rather spend my money on.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I was offered this and other stuff. They were a friend of my mother. She worked for this surgeon who specializes in weight loss. She was going to get me the "friends and family" discount. Even offered to help pay for a 1st class airline ticket so I could fly in comfort from Seattle to the guys clinic in Florida. I politely declined her offer.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The easy way?? what way is the easy way? U mean gastric bypass? LOL sister there is nothing easy about gastric bypass...there is nothing easy about a major surgery and risking your life to lose weight.....u still have to be on a diet...if u eat the wrong thing u are sitting on the toilet for hours in pain or vomiting your guts up...that's called dumping. You can never take ibuprofen or anything like it again so if u are in pain or have chronic pain u are **** out of luck...you have to take handfuls of vitamins for the rest of your life....you sacrifice a lot with gastric bypass....its definitely not the easy way out its a tool for people who cannot manage to lose the weight on their own and keep it off...these are people who have admitted defeat and have admitted they need help.
    That girl you saw on the show...she worked hard to get to that place...believe it.

People don't get fat by being happy...they don't get fat by being lazy as a rule...they get fat because they are not taking care of themselves as their body needs them to. Many people suffer from food addiction its not a laughing matter people kill themselves with obesity. Super Morbid Obesity isn't a joke. Its a mental illness.

I think that your mindset is skewed and perhaps u could benefit from some therapy. I don't say that in a mean or condemning way...but maybe its your mindset that is keeping you from your goals...I have been working with the super morbidly obese for well over 6 years and I have also been one....I talk from experience and I walk this walk every day. :(

I appreciate your perspective and thorough response. But in all fairness I would never ever actually do that. I am doing it the hard way (and truth be told enjoying the journey). I was just having a moment. I figure most of us have a moment where we want the magic pill or what have you and it was a passing thought.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was watching one of those medical weightloss shows the other day. You know the type, where they're really really big and they get gastric bypass and lose a ton of weight with what the episode shows as little to no effort and then they get skin removal surgery and look amazing... and there was this girl who'd been 310lbs, got bypass and lost a ton of weight, got down to like 120/140. She had skin removal surgery and the dr was even able to get most of her stretch marks. She can now wear bikinis for the first time in her life, and as long as she gets one that hides the tummy scar you'd have no idea she was ever fat.

I found myself thinking, if I just gained some weight (ok, 50-100lbs) I could just get surgery and lose it all the easy way. I was actually jealous.

Have you ever had that thought?

Obviously I won't do that but it sounds pretty amazing to me.

Edited because I hit post too early---I had two relatives get the surgery. Lost 150+ pounds skin removal. Looked great. Then they gained it all back, overcoming the surgery because they hadn't fixed the relationship with food..... I do not believe there is an easy button.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    <snip>

And those people go through a lot. A whole lot. I'm pretty sure that this vain and lazy approach would disgust them as much as it does me.

Indeed.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    But it is NOT "easy" for them to lose. They go through a lot eat liquid diet for days on end and then very small amounts. Its not easier that is for sure.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass plus skin removal surgery != the easy way.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    So, are you jealous of handicap people because they get the close parking spots with lots of room?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Oh, give me a break.

Finally, a good answer.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I sort of understand...but it's not really as easy/simple as they make it look. It's polished up for TV, and probably pretty effectively sells plastic surgery, but I'm sure it's not all it's cracked up to be.
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My brother lost 160lbs following a gastric bypass.
    It was the exact opposite of easy.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    And, for the record, as someone who has been quite successful at losing and keeping off over 200 pounds with the assistance of Gastric Bypass, the attitudes of some posts on this thread are awfully harsh toward WLS and the recipients of.

Don't want to have surgery - how about you just don't have it. There's really no reason for the shaming of those of us that did. Thanks for the uneducated opinions on how it is to live after WLS though. It's been enlightening to see just how badly my life could get......
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think we can add weight loss surgery/obesity in general to the list of topics that MFP is completely and laughably inaccurate about
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My co-worker almost died from gastric bypass surgery complications. And she'll never be able to eat normally again.

So no. I'm not jealous in the slightest.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass plus skin removal surgery != the easy way.

Seriously!

OP, I think your op is one of the most ignorant I've ever read. That is truly impressive.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    And, for the record, as someone who has been quite successful at losing and keeping off over 200 pounds with the assistance of Gastric Bypass, the attitudes of some posts on this thread are awfully harsh toward WLS and the recipients of.

Don't want to have surgery - how about you just don't have it. There's really no reason for the shaming of those of us that did. Thanks for the uneducated opinions on how it is to live after WLS though. It's been enlightening to see just how badly my life could get......

In all honesty I was not making fun or judging (though I could see how it could come off that way). I was taken up with how easy the show made it look.

I am truly happy for you and your success and I hope you continue to have success :)
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No way. I'd never want to go under the knife.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    WLS is definitely not the easy way to lose weight.

It is also not that easy to become "super obese" - most people can't get over 300 lbs even if they try. It takes a very damaged metabolism for your body to develop so much adipose tissue.

Insurance rarely covers plastic surgery after WLS. So most people who lose 100s of pounds end up having 10s of pounds of excess skin that drapes over them in various "aprons", which is uncomfortable and not very nice to look at.