Replies

• meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    water instead of any other drink
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in a restaurant, with my husband, looking over the menu. I'd just had my annual checkup and was facing the fact that all the numbers had been heading in the wrong direction for the last two years. I wasn't obese ("yet" my doctor said), nor did I need medication for cholesterol, diabetes, etc. But, it was a reality check. I'd always had stellar blood work results.

I put down the menu, picked up my phone, and started searching for calorie counting apps. Over the next couple of weeks, I tried two different apps and kept MFP!
  • spitstickler
    Options
    Stopped nicotine. Exercise helped me battle that. Now following up with food amount/type intake.
  • zebandersson
    Options
    Quitting nicotine for me is insanely hard! I quit smoking and now I'm only relying on good old Swedish snus. So I can't say that I quit nicotine but I'm feeling alot better! :smile:
  • spitstickler
    Options
    Quitting nicotine is one of the more difficult things I've ever done. Although the physical part of nicotine is out of your system in 3 or 4 days, the mental aspect of it continues. It's a day-to-day fight, and although it's getting easier 78 days in, the urge still rears it's ugly head. Zeb, when you get a point in your life when you want to be rid of it, join a group and get some accountability in place. The killthecan online group has made a world of difference for me. It's hard core, no nicotine of any type for any reason, but I've always been the kind of person who'd rather rip the band aid off than pull slowly.

The first week I was off of nicotine, I literally ate everything in sight. I was going quickly down the road to XXXL land. So I started the couch to 5K program. That helped me tame the urges, not only for nicotine, but for food as well.. (It's hard to crave something when you're breathing out of your ears) I started eating less and better quality food. After I finished c25k a couple of weeks ago, I continued my exercise routine, but also added back in my calorie watching. I tried MFP a couple of years ago by itself and after a few weeks, I stopped tracking things. However, I think when combining MFP with exercise I know it's going to be a different ball game. Mentally I know I'm a lot tougher than I was then.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed in making steps to a better lifestyle? And go...

mind/attitude.

^This +1
  • 0Amra
    0Amra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started bringing my lunch to work every day instead of eating out. Super simple, but that's what really started it all....
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Eating in moderation. Period. Thats one part i really suck at, and changing that consciously has made a very big difference!
  • strawberrycoconut87
    strawberrycoconut87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions. Thinking about what I am eating instead of just putting food in my mouth without thinking, lol.
  • babbsisthebest
    babbsisthebest Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Water with all meals and throughout the day. No other drinks. Veggies with every lunch and supper.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was always my "if i can do that, i can do anything!" goal.

In March 2014 a friend gave me Alan Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" - and i've been nicotine free since March 8, 2014.

Seeing how easy it was to quit smoking once i finally had the mindset right, i quickly started getting serious about losing weight and getting fit.

In June i found MFP, and have learned to really value tracking what i eat: instead of guessing at trends and consumption, i have a record that is as accurate as i am. It became so much easier to spot trends and triggers, and i've been steadily trimming down since i started using MFP.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Logged. Just logged. Everything followed from there.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    First thing was actually two changes - stopping the superfluous pleasure snacking, and cutting back in a large way on the amount of junk food in my diet. That left more normal eating habits, and I could then take things from there.
  • maccaria
    maccaria Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    first thing I stopped was denying I had problems, then I stopped smoking
  • ltooor
    ltooor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda and juice.
  • kerwristea89
    kerwristea89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I changed was my mindset. I always thought it was all or nothing, but I have been shown wrong. I gave up soda (and failed many times but this time im almost a month soda free!!!) and made sure that I had healthier things to snack on. Eating slower and a little bit less. When I would eat a lot of sandwiches, I gave up mayo for a lot of mustard.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat 6 servings fruit/veggies a day. That left less room for other stuff without saying "no" to things. Felt like a positive change rather than a "negative" one.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Parking as far away as possible everywhere I went
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Remembered that it worked before, it will work again. Then immediately began eating much less and making little changes in the way I treated myself.