Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Been away on holiday and finished week 9! First thirty minute run was great, felt good and passed 5k at 28.36! Very pleased:)
    Well done to all of you too!
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    I am loving this app! I was never a runner before. I will do week 3 day 3 today and I am actually excited about it! I was scared when I started week 3 because it seemed like a big jump from the amount of running on week 2, but I did it.

Nothing like the pride you feel when the run is over!!!!!! :)
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    Been away on holiday and finished week 9! First thirty minute run was great, felt good and passed 5k at 28.36! Very pleased:)

So inspiring! I can't wait to be just like you!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Fantastic news, well done.
  • cookiegy
    Options

So inspiring! I can't wait to be just like you!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    You're already just like me! You're doing it and enjoying it. Once you're there anything is possible, I was disappointed when I finished as I loved it so much. It was then I went for the 10 k. If you do week three you can achieve anything. :drinker: :drinker:
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options

Wow, that's a great time - well done! :drinker:

I just finished the scary week 5 day 3 20-minute continuous run, hooray! :bigsmile: It was tough, but manageable. Now I'm looking forward to building up my time and being just like you :smile:
  • cookiegy
    Options

Wow, that's a great time - well done! :drinker:

I just finished the scary week 5 day 3 20-minute continuous run, hooray! :bigsmile: It was tough, but manageable. Now I'm looking forward to building up my time and being just like you :smile:
    Fantastic! I remember that feeling when I'd just ran twenty minutes, a mixture of pride and disbelief but mainly knowing that I could achieve the programme without too man problems after that. Well done you, you're an inspiration!
  • danifarias
    Options
    A noob question 0=) You're supposed to do 1 day interval between the training, or is it random 3 days during a week?
    Does anyone do more than 3 times a week or will it make me feel too tired and give up?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I tend to just do it like 6 days a week but the initial weeks are pretty skimpy workouts, if you're not terribly unfit. It's mostly walking, with short running bursts. I assume the program was written for actual couch potatoes who prefer 3x/week to more, and I'm not really starting there. Though of course days off help many people progress, too. And everyone should listen to their body.
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A noob question 0=) You're supposed to do 1 day interval between the training, or is it random 3 days during a week?
    Does anyone do more than 3 times a week or will it make me feel too tired and give up?

I'm started a few weeks ago, starting week 4 tomorrow. Because my hours at work can be a bit random I do it when I have time off. Some weeks it might be three days in a row and then others there might be breaks in between. I wonder if a person is unfit would it be best to take breaks? I was going to the gym before so i didn't feel like I needed a break. Sure if you start and cannot continue you can always repeat that day anyway the best thing to remember is just to keep trying :happy:
  • HariboHeart1994
    HariboHeart1994 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Newbie here who is totally unfit. Started it Saturday and found it massively hard. Planning to repeat it a few times this week. I don't know at this point if 3 days will be enough to progress to week two! I know it's unbelievable but I haven't done masses of fit stuff until literally the last few months. Even then it's not been a lot. Hopefully this will be the kick start I need.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You should be taking at least one day off in between sessions.
    I tend to just do it like 6 days a week but the initial weeks are pretty skimpy workouts, if you're not terribly unfit. It's mostly walking, with short running bursts. I assume the program was written for actual couch potatoes who prefer 3x/week to more, and I'm not really starting there. Though of course days off help many people progress, too. And everyone should listen to their body.

The reason to take at least one day off between sessions is not to cater to the terribly unfit. It's to cater to those who haven't really run much at all. Running puts a lot of stress on your tendons, joints, ligaments, and muscles and your body needs time to adapt. Your muscles adapt first, pretty quickly. The rest lags behind. If you demand too much of yourself too quickly, you're more prone to injure yourself, and these injuries can be sudden so listening to your body is not really the best strategy (though you should do that, too). This is also why it is recommended that even veteran runners shouldn't increase their mileage by more than 10% per week.

If you are fit enough, cross-train on your rest days. That's more than fine. Just don't run or do something that puts similar stress on your legs. Weight train, or bike, or swim, or walk, or elliptical ... you get the idea.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is W6D3- I have a 22 minute run to complete. I'm going to try really hard to make it a 27 minute run! Have good workouts tomorrow everyone!
  • danifarias
    Options

I am an terribly unfit, complete couch potato. I barely made day 1, and my legs are hurting horribly...today is day 2, but I am still hurting so much that I am dreading it. :p
    Newbie here who is totally unfit. Started it Saturday and found it massively hard. Planning to repeat it a few times this week. I don't know at this point if 3 days will be enough to progress to week two! I know it's unbelievable but I haven't done masses of fit stuff until literally the last few months. Even then it's not been a lot. Hopefully this will be the kick start I need.
    I also don't think i'll make it to week 2 just with 3 sessions of w1, it is really hard. I never ran in my life, as weird as it sounds. I think the last time I ran I was 10, and it caused me horrible bronchitis crisis every time, so I hated it. Now I don't have bronchitis anymore, so I hope i can do it.

The reason to take at least one day off between sessions is not to cater to the terribly unfit. It's to cater to those who haven't really run much at all. Running puts a lot of stress on your tendons, joints, ligaments, and muscles and your body needs time to adapt. Your muscles adapt first, pretty quickly. The rest lags behind. If you demand too much of yourself too quickly, you're more prone to injure yourself, and these injuries can be sudden so listening to your body is not really the best strategy (though you should do that, too). This is also why it is recommended that even veteran runners shouldn't increase their mileage by more than 10% per week.

If you are fit enough, cross-train on your rest days. That's more than fine. Just don't run or do something that puts similar stress on your legs. Weight train, or bike, or swim, or walk, or elliptical ... you get the idea.
    I am still feeling pain, but pain is not always a bad sign no? I guess it's just because I am really not used to it...now I am considering waiting one more day before doing it again.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You have not run for 20 years, you admit to being terribly unfit, you struggled with W1D1. All of these tell me, take it easy. 3 sessions a week will be more than enough for you at present. The purpose of the sessions is to get you active and moving with a walking gait and a non walking gait (jog or run). Some people believe they are walking faster than they run, that is ok. Remember you are doing this for YOU, not for me or for anyone else on the forums but YOU. It is YOUR journey, you need to enjoy it. You did not enjoy it 20 years ago and didn't do it again for 20 years.

If you can't hold a conversation with someone on the run segments you are going too fast. Slow down, the tortoise definitely wins this race. Have fun, we all recognise the problems you are facing, continue to ask questions, I am sure that that you will get good advice from the many "old hands" on here who have helped me and many others to complete the programme. I wish you good luck on your journey and look forward to hearing about how it goes.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of the old hands but my experience is that while the 1st week is the "easiest" as far as workouts go, it's one of the hardest in terms of soreness. The muscles in my thighs and butt were pretty sore the first week, I still had some soreness during week two but since then, I've been pretty pain free.

Having sore muscles is normal. You haven't used those muscles the way you are using them now in quite some time. Good stretching (before and AFTER running) and keeping active will get you over the hump. It does get easier.

You can do this!
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I'm due to do 20 minutes on Tue. I did 2 x 8 minutes today, I never thought I could run for 8 minutes.

best of luck

I know the feeling - I was amazed that I could do the 8 minutes yesterday without dying :-)
    Good luck on Tuesday. Keep us posted.

I managed 20 minutes today. thanks
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good job, granturismo!

danifarias- I don't think you should work sore muscles. Rest! Take a walk! Soreness usually happens with a workout the first few times, so don't dread moving on but don't do it while sore.
  • stmadoesboy
    stmadoesboy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too completed my Week 5, workout 3 this morning! Jog for 2 miles or 20 mins without stopping. Plotted out a 2 mile circular route from the hotel front door and completed it in 18mins 40 secs!!! Happy days!!!

Really never liked jogging/running (without a ball at my feet) but have to admit to getting more into it workout by workout. Have signed up for Park Run and will try my first 5K during week 8 or 9 of the programme.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options

I'm due to do 20 minutes on Tue. I did 2 x 8 minutes today, I never thought I could run for 8 minutes.

best of luck

I know the feeling - I was amazed that I could do the 8 minutes yesterday without dying :-)
    Good luck on Tuesday. Keep us posted.

I managed 20 minutes today. thanks

Hooray! Well done! :smile: My next run is tomorrow - not sure what's on the menu yet, but I'm looking forward to it.